Primocon primer

I’ve got a gallon of primocon for my steel keel.  According to interlux beyond being a good primer for metal surfaces,  it is also an “excellent primer for anti fouling paint Over sanded fiberglass”

i don’t see myself using the entire gallon on my underwater metal surfaces. And my plan is to leave the boat in the water for a couple seasons.

is there any reason to not use up the paint on the hull so I’m not throwing away paint.  Or should I continue to slather a bunch more  (5-6) coats on the keel and use up the paint on the metal surfaces.

hopefully Ina couple weeks weather will break and I’ll be able to put on the af paint

I can't think of any reason not to- assuming a) the existing paint is well adhered and b) you are then going back over it with antifouling... I mean, sure, you'll end up with different mil thicknesses where primocon gets applied, but I'm guessing that isn't at the top of the priority list...

5 minutes ago, suider said:

I can't think of any reason not to- assuming a) the existing paint is well adhered and b) you are then going back over it with antifouling... I mean, sure, you'll end up with different mil thicknesses where primocon gets applied, but I'm guessing that isn't at the top of the priority list...

I’m working with a blank canvas. Boat just came out of the blasters. 

I have a few minor gelcoat repairs I want to address  before af goes on so those are areas where I’d likel apply the primocon before af 

54 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

I’ve got a gallon of primocon for my steel keel.  According to interlux beyond being a good primer for metal surfaces,  it is also an “excellent primer for anti fouling paint Over sanded fiberglass”

i don’t see myself using the entire gallon on my underwater metal surfaces. And my plan is to leave the boat in the water for a couple seasons.

is there any reason to not use up the paint on the hull so I’m not throwing away paint.  Or should I continue to slather a bunch more  (5-6) coats on the keel and use up the paint on the metal surfaces.

hopefully Ina couple weeks weather will break and I’ll be able to put on the af paint

Pimacon is an interface primer to be used between old and new coatings 

primacon is a poor substrate primer 

15 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Pimacon is an interface primer to be used between old and new coatings 

primacon is a poor substrate primer 

boy, I haven't found that... different mileages may very, I suppose, but i've found it to bond well assuming the substrate was appropriately prepped

4 hours ago, sailorman44 said:

Having owned a boat with an iron keel I can tell you to save that paint as you will need it again. An iron keel just keeps on giving (trouble). I can guarantee that when you next hull the boat you will be looking for that primer.

I understand that with A steel keel it’s always Rusting. Sometimes yoh just can’t see it rusting

but two years down the road would I rather trust a new can of paint maybe only need a quart or a can of partially used paint that’s been sitting the basement collecting dust.  If I don’t use up all the paint. Is there a trick to keeping it from become a can of primordial ooze in the meantime?

I have a can of it which is several years old, use some on the keel each time the boat is slippied for antifouling. So far it hasn't turned to sludge and seems to keep working fine. I've used it as a primer above the waterline for 1-pack paints only.

thanks all...

got two coats on the keel yesterday,  the blasters had put on a coat after it was blasted so hopefully we done right...  got three coats on,  interlux reccomends 3-4    so if I put  one more on  I'll have about half a gallon left over.