Intresting e-mail from Cabo RC - Competing event?

All curious if anybody know the back story on the Cabo Race RC e-mail today.  Wondering who but also what is the competing event in US waters? We are doing Cabo but intersted is knowing what else is going on.  TIA

From the 2021 NHYC Cabo Race event:

Hola Cabo Fleet,

At this late date, there are unconfirmed reports of a few Cabo Race entrants who may be planning their own event in US waters on the same weekend that the race starts.  While it's the racers’ prerogative to decide to compete (RRS 3), we want to assure all of you that the legendary Cabo Race is proceeding as scheduled.

I don't think it would be a competing race as much as perhaps an organized offshore practice. Going sailing with friends, stuff like that...

• Like 1

I don’t see why anyone would care if there is another race at the same time as NHYC’s Cabovirus race. 

sounds like some boats don’t want to go to Cabo because it’s a huge logistical issue for most people. So instead they are going to sail where it’s easy for them.

would NHYC prefer these boats not sail at all?

1 hour ago, sailcalifornia said:

what boat were you on?

looks like a J/125 which i would love to have for that race if there is breeze. is there logistical issues arriving by sea? seems pretty easy to go and return by air right now. why would there be a turn and burn situation? if there was i wouldn't do it either. thats a long slog home.

who cares btw. happy they are running it and we can choose to go or not. looks like some choosing to not go but taking the opportunity to get together and go sail. why is it a topic? 

9 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

looks like a J/125 which i would love to have for that race if there is breeze. is there logistical issues arriving by sea? seems pretty easy to go and return by air right now. why would there be a turn and burn situation? if there was i wouldn't do it either. thats a long slog home.

The issue is if we fly some of us with kids have to keep them out of school for 10 days. So flying is off the table right now. 

10 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

I am on the J-125 and we are still going.  Our plan is arrive spend one night at a hotel $78 Volaris flight into TJ walk across grab an uber to SDYC and done

I would say that convincing a large part of a division to abondon the race they entered to do another race that starts the same day is a competing event.  You can say its not an FU to NHYC but it is.  If it wasn't leveraging the Cabo race then it would run on a different week all by itself.  I am not saying I don't get what is being done but don't call it going sailing with friends for practice as if it was any other weekend. Just my $.02

Wish you luck and safety.  

I don't see this as a rip on NHYC at all.  They knew covid was a issue and decided to run the event anyway.   

These teams committed money and time for those days on their calendars anticipating Covid would be under control by now but it isn't.  Some of these crewmembers might have restrictions for travel outside the US from their employer.  So these teams decide to organize an event at the same timeframe that allows on-the water practice time with less stress regarding Covid and travel to MX.  The risk is not just the individuals but their families and friends when they get back.    

Sounds like a reasonable option to me.  Especially if these teams need a TPac qualifier.   

• Like 3
11 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

Just want to clear this up. I was not planning on sailing on the 125 for the Cabo race. It was a NorCal boat that will go un-named. 

A domestic "practice session" or an alternative event to racing offshore, internationally, won't protect you.or your co-sailors from the virus. The fact is you cannot "social distance" on a boat. Tests for the crew prior to embarking will reduce the risk, though not eliminate it.

The main factor in contracting the virus is personal behavior. Not air travel, or crossing a border. It's gathering in close quarters, without masks. Sharing sleeping areas, sharing food, utensils, bathrooms. 

Whether an alternative event, or not, it's equally dangerous for the participants. An opportunist organization that advertises a "safer alternative" is either lying, or ignorant. 

A business that restricts international travel, over domestic, regarding it's employees, is not paying attention. Again, it's personal behavior, and onsite workplace practices that are important. 

I do understand that a positive test in Mex would mean missing your flight home, and is a valid reason to avoid international travel. Would also suggest that you were infected aboard the boat you arrived on. Especially with a turn, and burn. If staying in Mex for a period of time, once again, it's your personal behavior that will factor. 

32 minutes ago, The Profit said:

When you arrive in Cabo, you must pass a C-19 test before being allowed on a plane.  If you test positive (you have it, bad test, bad result, etc) do you really want to be stuck in Mexico for who knows how long?

Not true.  You are required to have negative COVID test to get on a plane flying into the United States not if flying within Mexico.  I see less COVID risk in Cabo race then alternate race.  But risk of getting stuck does exist if you are flying to San Diego instead of TJ.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jhc said:

A domestic "practice session" or an alternative event to racing offshore, internationally, won't protect you.or your co-sailors from the virus. The fact is you cannot "social distance" on a boat. Tests for the crew prior to embarking will reduce the risk, though not eliminate it.

The main factor in contracting the virus is personal behavior. Not air travel, or crossing a border. It's gathering in close quarters, without masks. Sharing sleeping areas, sharing food, utensils, bathrooms. 

Whether an alternative event, or not, it's equally dangerous for the participants. An opportunist organization that advertises a "safer alternative" is either lying, or ignorant. 

A business that restricts international travel, over domestic, regarding it's employees, is not paying attention. Again, it's personal behavior, and onsite workplace practices that are important. 

I do understand that a positive test in Mex would mean missing your flight home, and is a valid reason to avoid international travel. Would also suggest that you were infected aboard the boat you arrived on. Especially with a turn, and burn. If staying in Mex for a period of time, once again, it's your personal behavior that will factor. 

Totally agree on all points.  My response was more about it not being a dig at NHYC and why it may be happening.    

4 hours ago, fan said:

Not true.  You are required to have negative COVID test to get on a plane flying into the United States not if flying within Mexico.  I see less COVID risk in Cabo race then alternate race.  But risk of getting stuck does exist if you are flying to San Diego instead of TJ.

If one person on the boat tests positive does everyone from that boat get quarantined?

1 hour ago, Parma said:

If one person on the boat tests positive does everyone from that boat get quarantined?

As in: "I swear to god honey, Popeye got a positive test, and we all have to stay in Cabo for twelve days..."

• Like 1
8 hours ago, fan said:

totally smart. although i would stay a few days and enjoy the weather! i'll be rooting for you guys and hoping one day you need rail meat for a mexico race!

11 hours ago, IMR said:

Just want to clear this up. I was not planning on sailing on the 125 for the Cabo race. It was a NorCal boat that will go un-named. 

sorry i truly did not mean to speak for you. i was just assuming and you know what that does.

• Like 1

People need to make their own decision.  I was in Cabo just last week and it’s apparent they’re taking it quite seriously.  All the restaurants around the marina were open with substantially thinned out seating (tables spread apart), they all have hand washing stations at the entries and EVERY place you go takes your temperature.  COVID testing is easy and cheap ($33) at the AMC clinic.  In my opinion, People can choose to either stay at home and wait for the government to say it’s safe to go outside, or simply be smart and sensible, live life and have some fun.  Why not go sailing to Mexico?  I’m all over it.  As for the race, come on board with a negative COVID test and you and your mates are in the safest quarantine known to man.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr. Nostalgic said:

People need to make their own decision.  I was in Cabo just last week and it’s apparent they’re taking it quite seriously.  All the restaurants around the marina were open with substantially thinned out seating (tables spread apart), they all have hand washing stations at the entries and EVERY place you go takes your temperature.  COVID testing is easy and cheap ($33) at the AMC clinic.  In my opinion, People can choose to either stay at home and wait for the government to say it’s safe to go outside, or simply be smart and sensible, live life and have some fun.  Why not go sailing to Mexico?  I’m all over it.  As for the race, come on board with a negative COVID test and you and your mates are in the safest quarantine known to man.

100% agree!

15 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.lbrw.org/

I think there is a big difference between bouy racing with 10 then going home or to a hotel or out to dinner then coming back together again for another day of racing then there is getting on a boat with 6 offshore for 4  straight days

19 hours ago, jhc said:

As in: "I swear to god honey, Popeye got a positive test, and we all have to stay in Cabo for twelve days..."

I see a staff position for a Texas Senator in your future....

17 minutes ago, fan said:

I think there is a big difference between bouy racing with 10 then going home or to a hotel or out to dinner then coming back together again for another day of racing then there is getting on a boat with 6 offshore for 4  straight days

Trapped in a sailboat with 6 sick people and no medical facilities?  That is a big difference....

• 2 weeks later...

I have to wonder if the change in start dates was to appease this group or becasue of this group.  We now have RIO100, Payewacket70 starting same day as SC50 and DK46.  COVID social distancing via finish distancing or capitulation to outside agitators haha?

Yeah it is looking a like a bit of battle to get out of the SoCal bight and into the offshore breeze but after that looks like a spectacular sail.  I like your routing there hope it is accurate haha I heard one the boats that pulled out to do the alternate race has had rig damage and won't be sailing at all for a bit.

48 minutes ago, fan said:

Yeah it is looking a like a bit of battle to get out of the SoCal bight and into the offshore breeze but after that looks like a spectacular sail.  I like your routing there hope it is accurate haha I heard one the boats that pulled out to do the alternate race has had rig damage and won't be sailing at all for a bit.

Wow!   

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys it's own special laws."

• Like 1

Looking like the slower boats (us) may get caught up in some lighter wind down at the end.  Hopefully we are ahead of it.

The boat that pulled out of the alt-race, was seen moving around Newport with no rig late in the week.

Any update on why Peligroso and Rio dropped? Peligroso would only quit for a good reason - hope everyone is okay. I heard thoughts this morning about Rio dropping because they were getting spanked by a 'little boat',

26 minutes ago, yoyo said:

Dang - just checked the tracker.  Pyewacket V70 only 42 miles to go and they did 496 in 24hrs.

Chance for a under 48 hour record....  

Pyewacket is definitely in full zoom mode.

Update...1st, 1st, 1st. BOOM!

CABO RECORD 2021.jpg

1st 1st 1st.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, DarkHorse said:

Disney finished at 10:22 PDT which makes it ~ 1d 21h 22m? Takes 16 hrs off the record?

Bet they get 3 sec/mi penalty in PH now

Always fun to be penalized for out performing your rating.  :-(

Roy and Pyewacket for the win.jpg

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

They had conditions across the entire course that favored the Turbo V70 setup and talented crew.  That doesn't happen all that often for offshore MX races.  I don't think they deserve a rating hit for it.    

58 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Disney finished at 10:22 PDT which makes it ~ 1d 21h 22m? Takes 16 hrs off the record?

56 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

Just because the weather was perfect. Imagine if they had Foils.

I thought PHRF uses the moderate range for ratings and does not rate boats based on the extreme ranges. It seems that is what ORR is for.

3 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Average speed of 17.68 knots!

• Like 1