1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Nice triradials!

Nearly new North triradial laminate.  My last jib was about 12 years old and shredded it by flogging it about 6 months ago learning how to sail in the bay.  I'll have to save some $$$ to replace the old stretched out main .

1 hour ago, PaulK said:

Hope the leeward bumpers aren't trailing overboard. 

I'm lazy. Just wanted to get out for a quick, 2 hours and forgot .

Wish list for a compulsive day sailor

Get underway(sailing) in 10 minutes and put it away in 10 minutes.

Self tacking jib

Roller furling main and jib

Well balanced boat and neutral helm that you cal let go for a minute to do something

Autohelm so that if that something takes longer then you thought it would

Enough accommodations so that a really good day sail can turn into an overnight
  • Like 3
19 minutes ago, sailorman44 said:

Self tacking jib

Well balanced boat and neutral helm that you cal let go for a minute to do something

That last criterion is wide open.   "Enough accommodations" for an overnight can mean anything from a pipecot and a sleeping bag with a bucket-and-chuck-it head ... to a fine mattress with cotton bedding and teak surrounds, a full galley with oven and coffee maker, a hot shower and aircon.

3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

... to a fine mattress with cotton bedding and teak surrounds, a full galley with oven and coffee maker, a hot shower, aircon AND FRENCH TOAST MAKER!

Fixed.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

That last criterion is wide open.   "Enough accommodations" for an overnight can mean anything from a pipecot and a sleeping bag with a bucket-and-chuck-it head ... to a fine mattress with cotton bedding and teak surrounds, a full galley with oven and coffee maker, a hot shower and aircon.

1 hour ago, tizak said:

Fixed.

It's your day sailor. You can be a primitive or deluxe as you like.

L Francis designed a couple of boats he called "Maine day boats". Quite Tune was one. These were big day sailors with enough accommodation so that if you were having a great sail you could keep on going, drop the hook and return next day or next week. I like that concept. 

The rest is up to you. I've got mine.
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, PaulK said:

Hope the leeward bumpers aren't trailing overboard. 

If he loses one he can sing that hit song of Elvis’s ‘Return my fender’. But his will be fine. They are tied on with what appears to be a Iranian goat feltching knot. Just joking 964racer - good for you. Having said that, as a nubie here there is something missing from your photo. Two things actually...

• Like 1
18 hours ago, 964racer said:

I'm lazy. Just wanted to get out for a quick, 2 hours and forgot .

being 'lazy' is a good way to destroy gear and/or get your ass in trouble.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:30 AM, 964racer said:

cutting it close to the wind in the slot so I can avoid reefing on my last leg home... :-)

153829375_3872138459519606_2514482375690321999_n.jpg

That blue line that is coiled up, served, knotted, and looped over a winch isn't attached to something that you might need to lower in a hurry, is it?

I know, I know, you've got a furler... and furlers never jam... ;) 

12 hours ago, sailorman44 said:

Self tacking jib

"Roller furling main" :     turn in your card.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

"Roller furling main" :     turn in your card.

I had that conversation with 2 friends Saturday. They both had in-mast furling mains. They both commented that, after a short learning curve, no problems, even in building rough weather.

I remain skeptical.

7 hours ago, IMR said:

It was a nice day for a sail yesterday. 

CEDE7366-848B-4F14-8E14-3538A26E3A3E.png

everyday is unless you break something $$$$$

39 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

I had that conversation with 2 friends Saturday. They both had in-mast furling mains. They both commented that, after a short learning curve, no problems, even in building rough weather.

I remain skeptical.

what ever gets you on the water

5 hours ago, JoeO said:

That blue line that is coiled up, served, knotted, and looped over a winch isn't attached to something that you might need to lower in a hurry, is it?

I know, I know, you've got a furler... and furlers never jam... ;) 

The blue line is the jib halyard.  we just moved the winches/controls back to cockpit (two new Lewmar 40's).  Still trying to figure out the boat.  Do you mean be able to drop the jib in a hurry ?  I'm not sure I can get the jib down the furler track in a hurry.  The rope bead was pretty tightly fed into the groove and it was hard to pull up. Maybe it would come down fast now that it is broken in a bit.  I know I can drop the main fast, I have a tides track installed and lazy jacks, main can come down in seconds.

12 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I remain skeptical.

In mast furling sucks performance wise. I have a big roach fathead main with full battens that furls around the boom. Main down and furled in 30 seconds.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 964racer said:

Do you mean be able to drop the jib in a hurry ? 

Yes... I'm thinking of some  emergency when you need to drop sail, and the furler drum is screwed up... next step is dump the halyards. And you may want it to come down fast. So having the halyard all nicely coiled and tied up like that could be precious seconds, and may even lead to a tangle on the way down. If you had a line bag nearby that you could just flake it into, that would be better. As far as being slow to com down the foil, that's potentially another issue you should look into.  

I guess I've been wearing my "safety hat" lately...

36 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Yes... I'm thinking of some  emergency when you need to drop sail, and the furler drum is screwed up... next step is  ...  

Isn’t that what knifes are for? ;) 

• Like 1

Roller furling boom like mine and many multis works very, very well.  Allows for big, high performance main, very easy to reef, stow, etc.  The in mast or just in front of mast systems I've seen mostly appear on motor boats posing as sailboats.  

2 hours ago, JoeO said:

Yes... I'm thinking of some  emergency when you need to drop sail, and the furler drum is screwed up... next step is dump the halyards. And you may want it to come down fast. So having the halyard all nicely coiled and tied up like that could be precious seconds, and may even lead to a tangle on the way down. If you had a line bag nearby that you could just flake it into, that would be better. As far as being slow to com down the foil, that's potentially another issue you should look into.  

I guess I've been wearing my "safety hat" lately...

The bag storage is something I'm looking into although compass and instruments take up all the room next to the companionway. So only convenient place to store it right now is drop it in the companion way. I have a feeling I can now pull it down faster, but it definitely requires going up to the bow and hauling it down the groove.  I sailed a Capri 22 f years back in the day. I liked the hanked on jib.  that thing would drop like a piano. it was fast to setup and even if one is too lazy to tie the sheet bowlines, I'm sure there is a modern solution for that now.  The only thing with the 33 ft boat is folding it and putting the sail away on a little dock (single handed), but everything else is easy and not worth upgrading to a furler IMO.

2 hours ago, IMR said:

Three hulls. 

OK.. Sea Cart 30 in your profile.. I'll have to look into those.  I've read about the F-XX series boats.

• Like 1
On 2/24/2021 at 9:30 AM, 964racer said:

cutting it close to the wind in the slot so I can avoid reefing on my last leg home... :-)

153829375_3872138459519606_2514482375690321999_n.jpg

Ignore the critics and the haters. Good on ya for getting out and logging a few miles! Most of the keyboard warriors here did not! (myself included!)

WL

• Like 1