Found my boat on Google Maps

In March I bailed from Panama as the country closed down. Out of boredom today I checked the marina I left it moored at, Panamarina on the North shore of Panama, and I'm delighted to be able to see it. It is the double-ended in the middle of the pic. The trimaran to the right of it left in mid-December, so I know the photo was taken some time last year. Just wish I could get back to it, but I am still rehabbing my right shoulder after rotator cuff surgery. Does anyone else check their boat via Google Maps, albeit the photos are old.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 2.58.47 PM.png

Yeah, it's boring. Always in the same spot.  WTH? It's crooked in the slip - they must have snapped the pic when a gust of wind blew the bow over.  Makes me want to run over there and adjust the dock lines!  Oh, wait...

Damn Google Earth anyway... always gotta keep the farmyard squared away in case internet snoopers go looking.  :(  Pull all the crap out of the shed just once and here comes Google!

Our marina has revamped all the docks, removed one long one and put in all new fingers over the last year. Naturally, Google Earth only cares about the USA so the sat pix are from 2016. However, our boat is in that picture. 

Is there a way to find the date on Google Maps images?  They are all likely several years old on average.  2016 looks about right for my area, based on the expansion of Google's data centers. (And there is a cruise ship in port.)  Interesting that the copyright is credited to US Farm Service Agency but it always lists the current year.  

Also, they must always do imaging in the local summer, to minimize clouds.

The dates are also on the bottom of the screen.

Edit: Provided all the images used for that view are from the same date...in which case zoom in until the date shows.

google.jpg.89e7d19a38de7713f065082b6478f387.jpg

I’ve escaped google.  The fuckers can’t find me. :-)

But 3 or 4 years ago I was in a big local alternator and starter shop getting an alternator part. One of the walls had an aerial poster on it of the area.  WTF - I looked closer, and they we were, the red boat!  (When the boat was in Vancouver.)

DC75FB2F-179A-40E4-BBF5-5BDF2FA1B102.jpeg

29B9C250-B466-447E-BDA8-0471C63DA106.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’ve escaped google.  The fuckers can’t find me.

Yes, it would appear that many of us have. Imagery of the area says 2021, but pretty sure this thing was sunk in 2015...image.thumb.png.88ce5bb7e1352b1ac1469826471ad53c.png

3 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

What thing was sunk in?  Not sure what you mean?

Sorry, hit enter to paste the image and it submitted the response! Edited above.

3 minutes ago, Goatish said:

Sorry, hit enter to paste the image and it submitted the response! Edited above.

Is that the old BCF ship?  Can’t recall which one (Queen of...?).  We snuck aboard that when it was moored one day and walked around the thing, totally deserted and decommissioned inside - like being in a real haunted house, or going back in time, via a weird time machine.  Climbed big long rope ladders up the sides to get in.

Interesting exercise.

His: tri (porta potti). Docked, check.

817080759_ScreenShot2021-02-24at5_54_54PM.png.dc201aee68c821c4d73148e836cdf640.png

July 26, 2019, said Google Earth.

Hers: C&C (proper head). Missing! We must have been out sailing.

223926160_ScreenShot2021-02-24at5_52_40PM.thumb.png.cbe56fecdabdcb075096684600fb2915.png

Gotcha--there you are. I thought.

1157301808_ScreenShot2021-02-24at5_52_16PM.thumb.png.13cb443c302e493470c931ed92cc8a53.png 

Checked pics. Says we were about here at 11:30 . . .  which  fits our usual 10 AM dockout.
1504250360_ScreenShot2021-02-24at5_58_34PM.thumb.png.5c4953baa35085b07d74470e637cfe70.png

Oops. Pic is a timestamped a day later. 

Screen_Shot_2021-02-24_at_6_46.49_PM.thumb.png.4380e1a78defe0435ad7c8c5f6e902aa.png

Fail. Oh well, good memories, nonetheless. Thanks, Dragon.

Waaay back when, I had occasion to see some (then) SOA intel "ground truth" sat photos (photos shot of known USA locations for analyst training.)  I could recognize my house and my little British roadster.  But, I could recognize the car only because it was 1) in my driveway, and 2) could see a black spot in the middle of the car where the soft top was.

Even today's commercial overhead imagery is SOOO much better than even the best imagery from a "fewish" years ago.

Google seems to update the photos periodically along with the seasons in our area.  In December, for example, it showed no boats in the harbor. Now, with the days getting longer, our boat shows up both on Google Satellite and on Street View. 

3 hours ago, Training Wheels said:

AB9A22F0-F337-4129-88B7-9162CA15217A.jpeg

Best so far! Anchored somewhere? I love the wave echos off the hull.

17 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Is that the old BCF ship?  Can’t recall which one (Queen of...?).  We snuck aboard that when it was moored one day and walked around the thing, totally deserted and decommissioned inside - like being in a real haunted house, or going back in time, via a weird time machine.  Climbed big long rope ladders up the sides to get in.

It is the HMCS Annapolis, sunk in Halkett Bay on April 4, 2015. Prior to sinking it sat in Port Graves for a number of years while it was stripped and cleaned.

https://artificialreefsocietybc.ca/annapolis.html

Back to the point of this thread, I have searched and cannot find any of the boats I've had at any of the marinas they could have been at, so whenever the local imagery was taken I must have been out cruising or racing.

Found it. See the big one?

96978531_Screenshot_2021-02-25GoogleMaps.jpg.2820e88845fdb6341139def402f72951.jpg

It's a 125' Feadship.

Mine are to the left of that one, though; the I36 and A30 on the outer end of the dock at bottom.

When Google Earth was first launched, not only did I find my boat, but saw myself doing a morning row on Lake Washington, about a mile and a half from the dock. Picture long since updated, recent ones seem to be from last summer. 

My motor boat, probably 18 months ago.

Bottom of picture middle of 3 moored boats.

Top right of picture sailing club with 3 boats on the frontage.

20210226_170742472.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

the pic must be old cause this is my slip, for the last 2 years, but it is definately not my boat...

janga goog maps.jpg

ilha janga drone - trovão bmp.jpg

Last time I left the boat the wife absentmindedly left a big box of Krugerrands under the floorboards aft, by the galley. 

If you guys think I'm giving you directions, you're crazy!B)

• Like 1

I guess they haven't scanned Boston Harbor since like 2016, since this was my slip and boat in 2016.  I've moved twice since then further down the dock and now have a different boat.  lol.

image.thumb.png.e1ae38a901523b79272db681fe465bcc.png

I'm pleased to say, I rarely see my boat on google earth or various aerial shots of my harbor.

My boats not in the circle so I'm not home (arrow). 

It's amazing how many boats ARE on their moorings on a day like this. 

1144136613_Rockport-Harbor-Print-copyfullsized.thumb.jpg.fec9e4c7ed73724c90d4d12c3a01ec59.jpg

The yacht, the truck, and the skipper. Google caught me working in the cockpit on the one sunny Monterey day. Boom lashed to the side would imply this was during the traveler replacement debacle (because of the twenty long bolts that must all slide in at one time).

A4F4C708-53DB-4596-90A0-234C3CF35C33.jpeg

2 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

The yacht, the truck, and the skipper. Google caught me working in the cockpit on the one sunny Monterey day. Boom lashed to the side would imply this was during the traveler replacement debacle (because of the twenty long bolts that must all slide in at one time).

A4F4C708-53DB-4596-90A0-234C3CF35C33.jpeg

Thought you were gonna say, the boat was planing, going so fast, Google maps satellite spy cameras couldn’t catch me :-)

3 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

Can't find my boat anywhere it's been for the last 5 years :angry:

Anybody know how you can find out when the pictures were actually taken?

It's hard to say.  The images are a patchwork of different time periods.  I've seen cases where someones boat shows up twice because of a second sweep of the satelight after he moved.

4 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

Can't find my boat anywhere it's been for the last 5 years :angry:

Anybody know how you can find out when the pictures were actually taken?

If you look at it in Google Earth, the image date is at the bottom of the screen. If it doesn't show up there, zoom in until it does. The overall view may have been made from images in different years.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:52 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

Last time I left the boat the wife absentmindedly left a big box of Krugerrands under the floorboards aft, by the galley. 

If you guys think I'm giving you directions, you're crazy!B)

Aft or outboard of the fresh water pump?  I don’t want to do too much damage. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Aft or outboard of the fresh water pump?  I don’t want to do too much damage. 

Why, did you want to add a few? The varnish fund thanks you!

On 3/9/2021 at 4:04 PM, Autonomous said:

I sold a boat to a guy that actually had fiber glassed gold into the bilge on a previous boat.

South African?

6 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

South African?

Manager of a nearby yard sailed here from SA. Before leaving, he collected his “wealth” in kuggerands and glassed them in the bilge. 

Apparently, he pulled out the first ones in the Caribbean and went to the bank with some trepidation as to how he and they would be received. Then answer was “how would you like those bills?”  

Don’t know if that is who autonomous is talking about but a similar enough story. 

My  BMW635 was a “grey import” from South Africa, wasn’t overweight but I was always on the lookout for shiny things lurking in dark spaces.

Met a guy in Sydney with a metal boat and a similar story to yours, they just welded it into the bilge.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:54 AM, Kris Cringle said:

I'm pleased to say, I rarely see my boat on google earth or various aerial shots of my harbor.

My boats not in the circle so I'm not home (arrow). 

It's amazing how many boats ARE on their moorings on a day like this. 

1144136613_Rockport-Harbor-Print-copyfullsized.thumb.jpg.fec9e4c7ed73724c90d4d12c3a01ec59.jpg

Is that Wilson's Cove?