Life is a Beach - post your favorite beach photo

My happy rescue mutt has adapted to beach life after making the move from Boulder, CO to Sunset Beach Oahu, Hawaii. I will be anchoring just off shore of Sunset Beach from time to time in the summer months. 

IMG_1158_cr.jpg

• Like 5

My local beach early one recent morning. A panoramic shot so a little weird.

L-R: North end of beach, Lambay, Ireland’s Eye, South end of beach. In the middle, a big ball of fire in the sky that we sometimes see.

2623F255-F58F-472E-B0AF-6B1A0CF7BBD9.jpeg

• Like 1

Mid January along the Atlantic coast. A storm formed a temporary lake up towards the dunes. The girls found several eel larvae to return to the ocean. 

A7103C43-F239-46CD-A989-D86505BF8650.jpeg

83A65010-1464-4704-95A4-41246C55BEBA.jpeg

A4A7EE3A-1E47-42D1-B7BD-891BA6F6EB1D.jpeg

• Like 1

My favourite beach, because it’s a few minutes walk from where I live and I can row out to my mooring and escape the world instantly.

It’s an odd photo - the reason I took it is because it’s an odd scene.  It’s mid-summer, mid-afternoon on a hot day - but you’d never know.  That “cloud” is forest fire smoke, the first time I’d seen it around here - and it was a bit freaky.  My beach, normally a great place for lounging, swimming, or launching the dinghy to row out to the boat and “escape the world”, looked very weird indeed.  Pic taken above the high tide logs; at low tide, lots of nice pebbly beach.  Anyway, my favourite beach because it’s my local escape route :-)

42 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Mid January along the Atlantic coast. A storm formed a temporary lake up towards the dunes. The girls found several eel larvae to return to the ocean. 

A7103C43-F239-46CD-A989-D86505BF8650.jpeg

83A65010-1464-4704-95A4-41246C55BEBA.jpeg

A4A7EE3A-1E47-42D1-B7BD-891BA6F6EB1D.jpeg

Looks like a seahorse from here.

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

My favourite beach, because it’s a few minutes walk from where I live and I can row out to my mooring and escape the world instantly.

It’s an odd photo - the reason I took it is because it’s an odd scene.  It’s mid-summer, mid-afternoon on a hot day - but you’d never know.  That “cloud” is forest fire smoke, the first time I’d seen it around here - and it was a bit freaky.  My beach, normally a great place for lounging, swimming, or launching the dinghy to row out to the boat and “escape the world”, looked very weird indeed.  Pic taken above the high tide logs; at low tide, lots of nice pebbly beach.  Anyway, my favourite beach because it’s my local escape route :-)

Oops, forgot the pic

4B0A6D3C-5F74-4B23-A7A9-7AA954335BBC.jpeg

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Oops, forgot the pic

I was wondering when you would realize that error :-).  Looks like a wonderful place. Keep me posted on your Hawaii plans. 

15 minutes ago, Kolibri said:

I was wondering when you would realize that error :-).  Looks like a wonderful place. Keep me posted on your Hawaii plans. 

If I could be seeing a beach in Hawaii next summer, that would be cool.  :-)  Would I be ready for such a voyage by then?  Is one ever totally ready...?!?  Anyway, that’s a working plan at this point...

11 hours ago, Elegua said:

Nan Ao

ACtC-3ectSbEu72YnZkBj6S_tdhj93VTdQgHcdmH

Su Ao

ACtC-3ehW07noT19JiHbnokUTnDY2zsM6zRnIMrM

When I first went to these beaches there were no tunnels to get through the mountains that separated them from the city and the only way to get there was the long way along the coast road or over the mountains in a narrow, switch-backed "highway" 9 that we had to share with overloaded trucks on our motorcycles. We'd arrive covered in diesel soot and dust, but a quick swim would clean us up. The country was still under martial law and conscripts patrolled the beaches. Instead of kicking us off the beach like they were supposed to, they would sit just at the edge of the visible light from our campfire and we would toss them a beer or two in the dark and have a quiet conversation so that the officers in the now demolished pillboxes wouldn't hear.  Sometimes we'd get some cheap or free fish or fresh squid from the locals to BBQ.  After a day or two of sleeping in the open on the beach, we'd go find the local "love hotel"/brothel, take a shower and go back to the city. 

ACtC-3ePAj3TpubSy2gCv_v_YoVXxpPb5q6cRXBj

Political prisoners got shipped to this island. If you drew some naughty cartoons, were a feared and incorrectly politically aligned gangster, a member of the opposition party, too good of a lawyer or any other "enemy of the state"...you got a free and long stay here.  The prison cemetery is just off to the right of the beach. The island sits at the bottom of the Kuroshio current, a bunch of seamounts right on the edge of a deep basin and so the sealife is amazing. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:

Looks like a seahorse from here.

They were flat like a tapeworm, I had to Google what they were. They found one pipefish, but it was dead. That pool of water percolated back to sea level in about 30 minutes 

• Like 1

This is just our town beach here in the Burg. It's good clamming at minus tides and because the mudflat is so long is warm water for great swimming at high tide.

enhance

Popham Village is right at the mouth of the Kennebec River so the beach there has a steady supply of building materials and bonfire fuel in the summer.

enhance

enhance

• Like 2

Perdido key, near Fort McRee, Pensacola.

We escaped the snow for a week around Christmas 2016 and came back again the following year.

Thats the family by the dink.  We pretty much had the place to ourselves.

e1 (5).jpg

• Like 1

Pakiri, North Island, NZ

There's a nice little motorcamp  right on the beach here and good waves. Maybe 2 hours north of Auckland.

enhance

• Like 4
On 2/25/2021 at 5:04 AM, Jim in Halifax said:

597125359_011(2).thumb.JPG.0a08339934a292af2535fa4114c31e75.JPG

White Point Beach, Nova Scotia. Every winter the sand disappears; every summer its back.

How many truckloads does it take to replenish it in the summer?

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

This is just our town beach here in the Burg. It's good clamming at minus tides and because the mudflat is so long is warm water for great swimming at high tide.

enhance

Popham Village is right at the mouth of the Kennebec River so the beach there has a steady supply of building materials and bonfire fuel in the summer.

enhance

enhance

Speaking of beach driftwood collecting, this is one of the coolest things ever...built on a beach with scavenged materials (except the skin covering of the hull).

https://seawolfkayak.com/spt-article-fulltext/?v=3e8d115eb4b3

BCABA033-5AD5-4859-9EDF-F55BDE0F30BB.jpeg

• Like 3
18 hours ago, py26129 said:

Perdido key, near Fort McRee, Pensacola.

We escaped the snow for a week around Christmas 2016 and came back again the following year.

Thats the family by the dink.  We pretty much had the place to ourselves.

e1 (5).jpg

Deep winter is the only time to go to McRee. It is an abject zoo in season...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Maybe not my outright favourite beach, but one of my favourite photos from the summer... the things my sends me while I'm at work! No description available.

There's not much cuter than a bare assed baby on a beach. :D

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

The yellow flies at Ft McRee are worse that the abjects in the summer.

I dunno... I can burn a coil, thermacell and hang screens and flies are dealt with

Noisy assholes with zero anchoring expertise, stuck with that unless you flee the scene

E590A0E9-1AB7-439B-88D2-562B692A77DE.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

I dunno... I can burn a coil, thermacell and hang screens and flies are dealt with

Noisy assholes with zero anchoring expertise, stuck with that unless you flee the scene

E590A0E9-1AB7-439B-88D2-562B692A77DE.jpeg

Yeah, now that you mention it, I think the biggest asshole anchoring episode I ever witnessed was there. I have a video somewhere. I put out a PAN, PAN, PAN call over CH 16 to warn other boats in the anchorage to BOLO for that shithead. I used his boat name in hopes that it would get logged on the CG radio watch logs. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

AD.WILDN1.jpg.17a677c4bc66cda24328fd45a5200b14.jpg

16 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

South Africa... perfect beach stroll post lunch at Salinas on/at Wilderness nr. George, while touring the Garden Route

Looking great, the beach ain't bad either...

45 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

AD.WILDN1.jpg.17a677c4bc66cda24328fd45a5200b14.jpg

South Africa... perfect beach stroll post lunch at Salinas on/at Wilderness nr. George, while touring the Garden Route

This is now my favorite beach pic. Hey look! It's 4:20

Sunset drinks on sandbar, uninhabited island 35nm from Darwin, Australia.  Yes, there are crocs!

P8010347.JPG

• Like 2

From Santa Monica looking north toward Malibu showing smoke from forest files in 2018.  Not exactly the sort of picture the OP was interested in, but it really is an amazing beach despite being ruined by easy access for all.

2018-11-10_2101.png

• Like 2

Ehukai Beach Park & Banzai Pipeline as seen from Rocky Point on the North Shore of Oahu.

nsss9.jpg

• Like 2

Many of our beaches look like this. The sand is a little coarse. And watch out for the rusty cables that disappear out into the bay...

6FMsgu3.jpg

On 2/27/2021 at 1:49 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Yeah, now that you mention it, I think the biggest asshole anchoring episode I ever witnessed was there. I have a video somewhere. I put out a PAN, PAN, PAN call over CH 16 to warn other boats in the anchorage to BOLO for that shithead. I used his boat name in hopes that it would get logged on the CG radio watch logs. 

For me it’s the fuckwits with their stereos blasting tractor rap all day and night at Ft. Mcree. It’s a lovely spot but don’t ever be there on Saturday night. 

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Many of our beaches look like this. The sand is a little coarse. And watch out for the rusty cables that disappear out into the bay...

6FMsgu3.jpg

Many —but not all— look like that.

I once had a rather detailed conversation with a woman (not this one) about her trimming job on this famous fine, sandy beach some years ago.

02511C2E-596D-408B-980B-2DF94434A204.png

17 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

The second pic, I believe is at Georgetown Exuma, looking out to Kidd's Cove?

Nope, not even close.

11 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Battle of Peleliu 1944.

295894503_PeleliuSO19_r1.thumb.png.ec841be4c3b865353e35e3675d064fd5.png

Screen_Shot_2021-03-03_at_5_09.13_PM.thumb.png.e5a0e32142cbbb359f92521662fd136f.png

Sorry. I didn't mean literally you'd never guess, but that it's such a tranquil and lush place it's hard to imagine. Some people have a way with words, some people not have way, (me). 

You park up at the little harbor in the notch next to Orange 3 and start your walk from there.  The reefs off the beach offer some very nice diving. Like many places, still lots of detritus under the bush. 

3 hours ago, Elegua said:

Sorry. I didn't mean literally you'd never guess, but that it's such a tranquil and lush place it's hard to imagine. Some people have a way with words, some people not have way, (me). 

You park up at the little harbor in the notch next to Orange 3 and start your walk from there.  The reefs off the beach offer some very nice diving. Like many places, still lots of detritus under the bush. 

Would of been hell on earth for those who landed and those who survived which was few.

Such a lovely looking beach with a very dark past lest we forget.

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

He visits all three memorials. Army, Marines & Japanese.  This is the Army one. 

ACtC-3eeNwPt39jzzNeOsE0er7Cd1PsP1nNRr_F2

Lots of hardware still around 

ACtC-3fv_ysZyR-v9z3jz99mpz604zWJog7J5LvA

ACtC-3dfcNLwj_44zsBdQwlGyjEpATfRvKVYnSJY

This topic is a bit depressing. 

My kids had their first swim off of this beach

ACtC-3ffHbQK7GS_sgfc-PGZFKx7aw8fvPfpk5uN

• Like 2
On 2/27/2021 at 1:31 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Skeleton Coast, Namibia?!  Where is that?  

And what’s the story on the proa, Russell?

Looks like a place in Queensland, OZ, called Yellow Patch?

Good guess, Cape Capricorn. That's sand being blown from the beach, over a mile away into the river (or is it just a tidal channel, can't remember), but it's the lee side of a giant sand blow. I ran up and slid down that thing a bunch of times and took plenty of sand back to the boat. Rainbow beach has another amazing sand blow that is one of the coolest take-off sites I've ever seen. That's my shadow. 

Scan 4.jpeg

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 7:04 PM, Russell Brown said:

Good guess, Cape Capricorn. That's sand being blown from the beach, over a mile away into the river (or is it just a tidal channel, can't remember), but it's the lee side of a giant sand blow. I ran up and slid down that thing a bunch of times and took plenty of sand back to the boat. Rainbow beach has another amazing sand blow that is one of the coolest take-off sites I've ever seen. That's my shadow. 

Scan 4.jpeg

You fit a hang glider in Jzerro? Surely not for crossing the Pacific... What else was essential adventure equipment?

That was a rent-a-glider. An altogether great experience, except for whacking myself in the balls trying to disassemble it at the end of the day. Won't forget that either. I had seen photos of that take-off spot years before and recognized it the minute I saw it. It's a marvel of a natural giant tongue of sand perfectly shaped for flying from. Can fly all the way to Noosa and back from there with only a couple of areas to worry about. Never carried a glider on that boat, but had the rating which made it possible to fly when not at home.