Neighbors...  So I got a guy....  What say you??

My guy has cut down all his trees and is attempting to zeroscape his property(Mikie can probably profess that there are precisley 0 zeroscaped properties within a 5 mile radius, we like trees)..  He has actually washed his rocks..  Washed..  For days, all the rocks on his lot.  individually, right outside my bedroom window, for an entire summer with no progress. His wife has even come over and said he is nutz..  Anywhoo..  He just got a brand spanking new snowblower..  way overkill like with tracks and stuff.  We got 6" and I have been dying to use my new little toro basic $350 snowblower.  Well the asshole just plowed the whole neighborhood at precisley 8:00 am (I get up normally at 6, but slept in and got woke by this asshole) should I be pissed??  I want to punch him in the head.  This is the guy that has complaned of "Ice dams" on our street and proceeded to break up all the ice infront of our house (at 8am)and his causing my dogs to go nutz for hrs.  Ice melted next day and there was never ever an ice dam anywhere near our street for the 15 yrs I lived here before the asshole moved in. I am thinking  A "Nice" note saying please refrain from doing anything infront of my house is in order but I think that is overkill.  And he is trying to puit in a new fence in feb...  Ground frozen.  

Pissed right now, what say you??

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, shaggy said:

My guy has cut down all his trees and is attempting to zeroscape his property(Mikie can probably profess that there are precisley 0 zeroscaped properties within a 5 mile radius, we like trees)..  He has actually washed his rocks..  Washed..  For days, all the rocks on his lot.  individually, right outside my bedroom window, for an entire summer with no progress. His wife has even come over and said he is nutz..  Anywhoo..  He just got a brand spanking new snowblower..  way overkill like with tracks and stuff.  We got 6" and I have been dying to use my new little toro basic $350 snowblower.  Well the asshole just plowed the whole neighborhood at precisley 8:00 am (I get up normally at 6, but slept in and got woke by this asshole) should I be pissed??  I want to punch him in the head.  This is the guy that has complaned of "Ice dams" on our street and proceeded to break up all the ice infront of our house (at 8am)and his causing my dogs to go nutz for hrs.  Ice melted next day and there was never ever an ice dam anywhere near our street for the 15 yrs I lived here before the asshole moved in. I am thinking  A "Nice" note saying please refrain from doing anything infront of my house is in order but I think that is overkill.  And he is trying to puit in a new fence in feb...  Ground frozen.  

Just shoot him. Oh, hold on... You're in Co. not Fl... Is that legal in Co?

31 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Just shoot him. Oh, hold on... You're in Co. not Fl... Is that legal in Co?

The street is public property AFAIK so messing with ice out there is a little beyond your scope.  However, a nicely worded note explaining that you like to do your own driveway (and sidewalk?) after you wake up at 9 AM from an undisturbed sleep.  Many neighborhood protocols expect lawnmowers remain silent until 10 or 11 AM.  Unwritten of course, but common curtesy.

49 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Thank him.

Then let him know you'd prefer to roll your own.

Who washes rocks? Sounds a little OCD, but whatever. 

• Like 1

Buy your teenage son an electric guitar and an amplifier loud enough to knock jet airliners out of the sky. Encourage him to practice an hour before said neighbor normally gets up.

When neighbor complains, open discussion about "if you want to HAVE good neighbors, you have to BE a good neighbor."

Note: have discussion with other neighbors about this strategy. Yes it's some short-term suffering but it can be fun and it works like a champ, every time.

- DSK

48 minutes ago, shaggy said:

You're screwed. This is why I don't want to own another house, and when the weather warms, I'll be back aboard. My current neighbor on one side is invisible, and the one I can see just died from you know what. Still, it was quite convenient for me. 

15 minutes ago, warbird said:

The street is public property AFAIK so messing with ice out there is a little beyond your scope.  However, a nicely worded note explaining that you like to do your own driveway (and sidewalk?) after you wake up at 9 AM from an undisturbed sleep.  Many neighborhood protocols expect lawnmowers remain silent until 10 or 11 AM.  Unwritten of course, but common curtesy.

Notes rarely work out IME. And we've all learned common courtesy is an oxymoron.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Buy your teenage son an electric guitar and an amplifier loud enough to knock jet airliners out of the sky. Encourage him to practice an hour before said neighbor normally gets up.

When neighbor complains, open discussion about "if you want to HAVE good neighbors, you have to BE a good neighbor."

Note: have discussion with other neighbors about this strategy. Yes it's some short-term suffering but it can be fun and it works like a champ, every time.

- DSK

Kid has a base, but he is at school.  Went through the whole Kicker in the car teanager thing(I helped him set it up).  Also the teanage LAX player loosing balls in his yard.  (he was an ass and kept them all) so ya.  been there, done that..  

9 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

You're screwed. This is why I don't want to own another house, and when the weather warms, I'll be back aboard. My current neighbor on one side is invisible, and the one I can see just died from you know what. Still, it was quite convenient for me. 

House was empty for a couple years so maybe I got used to having nothing..  Other guy is a DA that basically keeps to himself, kids etc.  We are friendly with them, Rebuilt the fense when asked split it did estamates etc.  This guy is just saying he is going to do it and is being nice because he is allowing us to keep the 6" that is technically his while the fence has been there since the 70's.  Yes he is that guy.. 

Man, neighbors is tough stuff. Hard to give much in the way of suggestions since we don’t know anything about the personality except probably a little (or a lot) OCD and very industrious. My limited successful experience says have a friendly chat that starts in a more social opportunity not in the middle of one of his OCD tasks. Walk over with a beer and after a few pleasantries tell him you’d like to chat about something that is a problem for you. Then explain and offer the solution you can live with like “how about after 9 or 10” sort of thing. You’re not going to stop his basic personality traits so shoot for modification. We have a neighbor across the alley whose 19 year old fat loser son decided he is a drummer and was “playing” his drums (very poorly) in their garage (door closed) at least 4-6 times a day for an hour or so at a time. We could hear it in our house quite plainly such that listening to our music or watching a TV program couldn’t drown out the drums. I tried my own advice with dad but it didn’t work. Dad said it’s the only thing that fat loser has showed any interest in and he wasn’t willing to interfere with that. He was sorry it bothered us though. Months go by and fat loser decides to go live with real dad and stepmom in another state. Thank god! 

Anyway.....my point is confrontation almost never works........friendly requests often do......but not always. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Kid has a base, but he is at school.  Went through the whole Kicker in the car teanager thing(I helped him set it up).  Also the teanage LAX player loosing balls in his yard.  (he was an ass and kept them all) so ya.  been there, done that..  

It's like the nuclear triad. In the absence of any good will or common goal, you need a deterrent that cannot be countered nor eliminated, and demonstrate a willingness to escalate. And you need the other neighbors on your side.

I try pretty hard to be a good neighbor myself, which means putting up with a lot of stuff I'd prefer didn't happen. For example, some of my neighbors love to spray chemical shit all over their yards. "Kills g*****m mosquitoes!" ... "getting rid of all these m%%%%%%%n weeds!" and then they complain that the fishing in the creek is declining and their dog has cancer. But I try to use gentle persuasion rather than yank their yard tools out of their hands and smack them.

8 minutes ago, shaggy said:

House was empty for a couple years so maybe I got used to having nothing..  Other guy is a DA that basically keeps to himself, kids etc.  We are friendly with them, Rebuilt the fense when asked split it did estamates etc.  This guy is just saying he is going to do it and is being nice because he is allowing us to keep the 6" that is technically his while the fence has been there since the 70's.  Yes he is that guy.. 

Hmm, sound like a passive-aggressive attempt to sieze part of your yard. Is the fence really 6" on his side of the line?

Years ago I had a neighbor who was constantly pushing the boundary. Planting stuff in my yard, started to build a fence... eventually I started tearing it down which can be done faster than he could build it (no more Mr Nice Guy by that point)... he actually put one of those prefab sheds halfway into our yard. I pointed out to him where the line was, and said "move it or else." He didn't so just before the next rain storm I cut the shed in half and threw the pieces plus the contents into his yard. Thunderstorm broke just as I finished.

About a year went by and I did not even see him in passing except a few times. Then he decides to be all friendly-like. OK whatever. That odd couple (she was more fucked up than he was) still lived there when we moved and sold, about 5 years later.

I'd rather have good neighbors and be one, myself.

- DSK

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Anyway.....my point is confrontation almost never works........friendly requests often do......but not always. 

Good luck! 

The house next to my new home changed hands less than a year after we built.  The attraction of that property was a heated garage with 3 deep bays and 10 foot high garage doors. The house not so much. Fernando, the new neighbor managed to get stuck in snow and I was able to help dig him out.  When it snowed I would run my snow blower over there when I finished my driveway. Etc. Etc.  Fernando explained he was going to use the garage as an auto repair facility. He could work on cars at his speed.  "So I am thinking, shit, my kitchen looks out at his small back yard and huge garage with older cars moving in and out."  No,  Fernando continues "I want to put up a fence between our properties so you don't have to see these cars coming and going".  His back yard is really just a gravel parking area.  I told him immediately "I will pay half" :D.  Thus great neighbors are born.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, warbird said:

The house next to my new home changed hands less than a year after we built.  The attraction of that property was a heated garage with 3 deep bays and 10 foot high garage doors. The house not so much. Fernando, the new neighbor managed to get stuck in snow and I was able to help dig him out.  When it snowed I would run my snow blower over there when I finished my driveway. Etc. Etc.  Fernando explained he was going to use the garage as an auto repair facility. He could work on cars at his speed.  "So I am thinking, shit, my kitchen looks out at his small back yard and huge garage with older cars moving in and out."  No,  Fernando continues "I want to put up a fence between our properties so you don't have to see these cars coming and going".  His back yard is really just a gravel parking area.  I told him immediately "I will pay half" :D.  Thus great neighbors are born.

Sounds like a good deal to me, especially if he lets you borrow tools once in a while.

- DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Sounds like a good deal to me, especially if he lets you borrow tools once in a while.

- DSK

He has come over when I have a car on jack stands and helped out and his stepson has noticed me unloading the pick up and offered to help a few times.  So really in my experience a few gestures work really well.  I have had difficult neighbors (ignoring CCRs) but a gesture or two smoothes the friction even if you hate the ugly cheap garage he put up.

4 minutes ago, warbird said:

He has come over when I have a car on jack stands and helped out and his stepson has noticed me unloading the pick up and offered to help a few times.  So really in my experience a few gestures work really well.  I have had difficult neighbors (ignoring CCRs) but a gesture or two smoothes the friction even if you hate the ugly cheap garage he put up.

Fucker got my grubhub order and did not say a fucking word.  Driver had wrong address.  found out from ghub couple hrs after they replaced order.  He is a dick.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shaggy said:

Well the asshole just plowed the whole neighborhood at precisley 8:00 am (I get up normally at 6, but slept in and got woke by this asshole) should I be pissed??  I want to punch him in the head.

You should get up at your regular time and set up a ladder to help you get over it.  You want to assault your neighbor because you slept it?   Please.

• Like 2

Does your municipality have a noise ordinance?

Most towns do.  Where I live, the ordinance says something along the lines that we're not to make noise likely to disturb the neighborhood before 9am, or after 9pm.  If your town has something similar, that might be a good thing to include on the note....

4 hours ago, shaggy said:

He did the snow for you? BASTARD. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

My neighbor knocked on my door at 3:30 AM this morning. Can you believe that?? 3:30 AM!! Luckily for him, I was still up playing my drums!

• Like 4
3 hours ago, DarthSailor said:

Xeriscape

The way he is doing it it is zero scape.  He has piles of washed rocks all over the place. Flagstones he procured from a neighbor etc etc etc.  This has been going on for 3 years.  Oh, it's like 4 hours later and he is still shoveling...  Prick...  One good thing though.  I saw him trying to go through slush and his Machine got jammed quite a few times had to restart etc.  and man was I wishing he would put his hand in there when it was running, but I digress.  I did my drive with my little $250 Toro.  He was watching.  Didn't bogg down once... LOL

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Daughters?

1 she is ether at school or has a job out of state as her plates are from somewhere else.  Saw her like once.  Oh did I mention he beat his dog late one night causing neighbors lights to come on to see wtf was going on.  Purebred pointer, beautiful dog and they had it trained.  We called animal control as diid other neighbors.  He is a Peach...  

Just shoot him. No one will care.

Guy plows for you and your mad?

Is he a gun owner? Start there....

Probably not relevant but Jocko Willnik, badass retired SEAL, says to avoid all conflict. He may have a gun and shoot you, he may beat your ass into a hospital or you shoot him or beat him into the hospital and then off to give your local cops your fingerprints.

Run away, live to not fight another day!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, shaggy said:

The way he is doing it it is zero scape.  He has piles of washed rocks all over the place. Flagstones he procured from a neighbor etc etc etc.  This has been going on for 3 years.  Oh, it's like 4 hours later and he is still shoveling...  Prick...  One good thing though.  I saw him trying to go through slush and his Machine got jammed quite a few times had to restart etc.  and man was I wishing he would put his hand in there when it was running, but I digress.  I did my drive with my little $250 Toro.  He was watching.  Didn't bogg down once... LOL

truly lol

Let me get this straight.

A neighbor comes over at a reasonable 8 am in the morning and cleans ones driveway of snow and this is taken as a problem?

Shouldn't this be in the Karen thread?

Back when I lived where the white shit fell from the sky, I owned a top of the line Ariens with the hood etc.  But if a neighbor did my drive, I would open the door to thank them and offer them an Irish coffee.

How you can tell if you have a bad neighbor:

- They dealing drugs all times of the day and night.  Junkies are knocking on your door because they cannot read house numbers..

- You have caught them peaking in your windows multiple times.

- They go to work on the grave yard shift catching rubber in the first 3 gears in their Mustang with the loud pipes.

- The police responds to their house in force several times a month.

- they are hitting on your 13 yo daughter

- You find yourself locking the doors even when home.

- Everyone's car in neighborhood has been broken into multiple times except theirs.

- Discarded soda bottles that have been used to make meth are found in front of their house.

-  They park their pickup with the landscape trailer to where you no longer can get in and out of your own driveway

Your wife's underwear keeps disappearing from the clothes line out back.

- They have a couple pit bulls that are unchained and have bit several neighbors, but they just do not care.

- You have resorted to getting a post office box because so much of your mail has gone missing.

-  To beat the commute hassle, they fly to the office in their helicopter each morning (don't laugh, i know where someone thought this was OK..)

-  You have bullet holes in your house where there was firefight with a group of drive-by gang bangers

19 hours ago, shaggy said:

This guy is just saying he is going to do it and is being nice because he is allowing us to keep the 6" that is technically his while the fence has been there since the 70's.

so he's putting the fence entirely on his own property ?

good the bill is his .

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Grrr... said:

It's time to move.  There's no such thing as a good neighbor.

Acreage solves many neighbor issues.  50 or more should do the trick.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Acreage solves many neighbor issues.  50 or more should do the trick.

SO true.  If I can't see or hear them be idiots, then I don't have to deal with it.  My only next door neighbors are, unfortunately, only 300 feet away.  I get to see their stupid when ever they choose to exercise it, like grading their lot to flow into ours, and planting trees directly over the buried power line that supplies both our homes. And my dogs get to voice their disapproval every time the neighbors have to start up their sleds and four wheelers and rev them to 'tune them up'.  If they have to tune them up as often as we have to listen to them, they have some of the crappiest quads and snowmobiles on the planet.

And when they were planting those trees with a backhoe, you better believe a had a beer in hand just waiting for the potential fireworks.

Of course, it also means they get to see MY stupids.  Like when I was servicing a car, left it in neutral in the garage and went inside, and the car took that opportunity to roll out and down our driveway into the ditch.

After some fairly Noisy neighbours in our last house, SWMBO's instructions for this one were no neighbours.. Which is pretty impossible in the UK..

But none for a mile behind,

One, to the left shares part of a boundary then  none for half a mile. Retired pensioner lady.

One, 45 degrees across the road out front, then nothing much till the North Sea. Young couple with a boy and a girl, we did at one point get footballs in the garden, but Ben the Collie sees those off with a fine set of teeth, so that doesn't happen any more.

One, 400 yards away  to the right (school teacher and family) very quiet.

Oh the previous house? the neighbour, with two teenage children, had a series of boy friends and seemed to have shouting matches at stupid times in the morning.. Daren't report the noise to the police, because if you do, it has to be on the property details when you sell it. If you don't report it, you can deny all knowledge of it to the buyer..

We got out of there as soon as we could, especially when two different sets off drug dealers moved in nearby and started having a turf war..

39 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

My only next door neighbors are, unfortunately, only 300 feet away.  

My last home was in a subdivision of 1-2.5 acre lots so we had 300-400 feet separating homes.   Almost everyone left 20 to 50 feet of property line wild with grasses, hawthornes, and other natural trees.

image.png.2b809f3e9f0b199f71b4791676be8169.png

2 hours ago, Mid said:

good the bill is his .

A good neighbor will share the cost of the fence especially if it benefits him-her too.

• Like 1

Bad Neighbors

House #1.  0.2 acre lot with a wood fence around the sides and backyard due to the in ground pool (law requires fencing).  Neighbor hires someone to take down one of his trees. This tree has a few branches that extend over my fence on to my property.  The tree guy comes over and busts not one but two latches/locks on the wooden gates to get access to my back yard so he can remove the branches that extend into my yard. I am at work when this is done, so when I get home I see the mess they left and knock on said neighbors door to basically say WTF?  How about a little heads up?  He apologized, but that was about it.

House #2. 1.7 acres.  First couple of neighbors were great, kids hung out and played together.  Then they moved away on both sides.  The new person moves in on the one side, divorced lady (and I am being kind in saying "lady") with 2 teenaged boys.  Got the money for the purchase from her father (drove him to his grave).   She complains to the HOA about a structure (i called it a fort) my kids put up several years prior to her arrival and it is within view of her property that she sees as a tepee.  She tells the HOA board she is offended since she is American Indian.  Not sure which tribe the Zemanski's come from, but what do I know about Native American genealogy.  Board ignores her, so she goes to the township to complain about a bridge I put in several years earlier.  Township ignores her, so she goes to the County.  They come out and put a red flag on the bridge (basically means I cannot make any improvements to it, but get to keep it). I then put in a replacement deck.  Contractor gets all the necessary permits.  She films me and my contractor when I am getting the deck put in, claiming I do not have permits to do so and she is going to tell the city inspector (supposedly she has contacts since she is in real estate).  Contractor looks at me, I shrug my shoulders, and do the crazy gesture.

Came home one time and found empty beer cans on the deck.  Suspect her kids were drinking on it.  

Her younger son appears to be dealing drugs.  Property goes to shit inside and outside the house (she hired out to try to get it back in shape to put it back up for sale).  Bank repos the house, and she is magically gone one morning.

New neighbors move in, fix the place up, and are really nice people.   We socialize regularly, so all ends well.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, warbird said:

"I want to put up a fence between our properties so you don't have to see these cars coming and going".  His back yard is really just a gravel parking area.  I told him immediately "I will pay half" :D.  Thus great neighbors are born.

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

A good neighbor will share the cost of the fence especially if it benefits him-her too.

You probably dont but some towns have regulations about removing trees. There was a wealthy guy nearby that clearcut his 2 acres in a very expensive neighborhood.
The town made him replant everything. About $200K worth.  Looks ok about 10 years later.   

You can always leave a lawnmower running for 45 minutes early on a Sunday morning right on your border. Bungee cord the kill switch handle and go inside and have breakfast.

A dead fish in the mailbox in the summer is always good.   

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Bad Neighbors

House #1.  0.2 acre lot with a wood fence around the sides and backyard due to the in ground pool (law requires fencing).  Neighbor hires someone to take down one of his trees. This tree has a few branches that extend over my fence on to my property.  The tree guy comes over and busts not one but two latches/locks on the wooden gates to get access to my back yard so he can remove the branches that extend into my yard. I am at work when this is done, so when I get home I see the mess they left and knock on said neighbors door to basically say WTF?  How about a little heads up?  He apologized, but that was about it.

House #2. 1.7 acres.  First couple of neighbors were great, kids hung out and played together.  Then they moved away on both sides.  The new person moves in on the one side, divorced lady (and I am being kind in saying "lady") with 2 teenaged boys.  Got the money for the purchase from her father (drove him to his grave).   She complains to the HOA about a structure (i called it a fort) my kids put up several years prior to her arrival and it is within view of her property that she sees as a tepee.  She tells the HOA board she is offended since she is American Indian.  Not sure which tribe the Zemanski's come from, but what do I know about Native American genealogy.  Board ignores her, so she goes to the township to complain about a bridge I put in several years earlier.  Township ignores her, so she goes to the County.  They come out and put a red flag on the bridge (basically means I cannot make any improvements to it, but get to keep it). I then put in a replacement deck.  Contractor gets all the necessary permits.  She films me and my contractor when I am getting the deck put in, claiming I do not have permits to do so and she is going to tell the city inspector (supposedly she has contacts since she is in real estate).  Contractor looks at me, I shrug my shoulders, and do the crazy gesture.

Came home one time and found empty beer cans on the deck.  Suspect her kids were drinking on it.  

Her younger son appears to be dealing drugs.  Property goes to shit inside and outside the house (she hired out to try to get it back in shape to put it back up for sale).  Bank repos the house, and she is magically gone one morning.

New neighbors move in, fix the place up, and are really nice people.   We socialize regularly, so all ends well.

Karma is a bitch, ain't it?

For quite a while, my wife and I lived in a nice older suburb of a university town in central NC. We had a 19' sailboat on a trailer in the driveway, this is a roughly 1/4 acre lot so the driveway is short and it's obvious from the road. I have a frame and a big tarp so it looks like a big tent.

Across-the-street neighbor, with whom I get along well, has a teenage daughter that is becoming increasingly wild... boyfriends screeching tires at odd hours, screaming in the front yard, a few other episodes. At some time during those years, I found beer cans in the boat in the driveway. Then some time later, I heard voices coming from under the tarp over the boat, late in the evening.

I get a bright flashlight, and a shotgun, load it (you never know), and quietly walk up to the boat. Flip back corner of tarp, shine light inside.... neighbor girl with 2 boys, clothes on but clearly in process of hanky-panky, and yes beer. At first the boys were terrified and blinded by the light but then overcome by testosterone and stupidity, they start making threats and one of them makes a move in my direction, at which point I shine the light on the shotgun. Long story short, one of them comes and cleans my boat and goes on to have a fairly nice life, the other gets in some other trouble and is given a choice of jail or the Army, neither has further involvement with neighbor girl. A year or so later she runs away with yet another older jailbird boyfriend.

Life in a small town

- DSK

18 hours ago, shaggy said:

Fair enough

19 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Thanks. I was able to parlay that bit with some Jennifer Lawrence and then an astonishingly beautiful and slender Meagan Markle. Life is good. 

8 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Let me get this straight.

A neighbor comes over at a reasonable 8 am in the morning and cleans ones driveway of snow and this is taken as a problem?

Shouldn't this be in the Karen thread?

Back when I lived where the white shit fell from the sky, I owned a top of the line Ariens with the hood etc.  But if a neighbor did my drive, I would open the door to thank them and offer them an Irish coffee.

How you can tell if you have a bad neighbor:

- They dealing drugs all times of the day and night.  Junkies are knocking on your door because they cannot read house numbers..

- You have caught them peaking in your windows multiple times.

- They go to work on the grave yard shift catching rubber in the first 3 gears in their Mustang with the loud pipes.

- The police responds to their house in force several times a month.

- they are hitting on your 13 yo daughter

- You find yourself locking the doors even when home.

- Everyone's car in neighborhood has been broken into multiple times except theirs.

- Discarded soda bottles that have been used to make meth are found in front of their house.

-  They park their pickup with the landscape trailer to where you no longer can get in and out of your own driveway

Your wife's underwear keeps disappearing from the clothes line out back.

- They have a couple pit bulls that are unchained and have bit several neighbors, but they just do not care.

- You have resorted to getting a post office box because so much of your mail has gone missing.

-  To beat the commute hassle, they fly to the office in their helicopter each morning (don't laugh, i know where someone thought this was OK..)

-  You have bullet holes in your house where there was firefight with a group of drive-by gang bangers

OK, I grew up with that, The midwesterner is strong in me.  I have given this guy every break, even asked him to crew...  The thing is that that paradigm does not exist in this neighborhood.  We are the ones that bring a dish to new people when they move in.  Give a guy ion a roof a beer ec etc etc...  He did not come over and ask, he is not an "over the fence nice guy" he thinks he is helping but he is not.  He bought the machine simply to proclaim he is the "snow guy".  Overheard him talking to the plow guy... "I am the only guy that cleans up the snow around here" as I was getting my fricking snowblower started at 10 after morning meetings etc.  He is a retired busybody that has wayyyy. too much time on his hands.  

5 hours ago, Mid said:

good the bill is his .

He told my wife he was going to put posts in this month...  LOL..  It's feb in Colorado...  No plans, no hey, lets talk, no nothing.  Just get your netting off(Black chicken wire on nice posts to keep the MIL dog in) and I am starting in a couple weeks...  

3 hours ago, shaggy said:

OK, I grew up with that, The midwesterner is strong in me.  I have given this guy every break, even asked him to crew...  The thing is that that paradigm does not exist in this neighborhood.  We are the ones that bring a dish to new people when they move in.  Give a guy ion a roof a beer ec etc etc...  He did not come over and ask, he is not an "over the fence nice guy" he thinks he is helping but he is not.  He bought the machine simply to proclaim he is the "snow guy".  Overheard him talking to the plow guy... "I am the only guy that cleans up the snow around here" as I was getting my fricking snowblower started at 10 after morning meetings etc.  He is a retired busybody that has wayyyy. too much time on his hands.  

He sounds like a harmless nuisance. My son and I shoveled the 1.2 mile stretch of bike trail in minus-2 F, with our backs and our shovels. These "snowblower guys" are kinda lazy, imo. It barely snows in the Denver-Metro, we get maybe one or two snows per year that is anything other than dry powder ... shovel and muscle does the job on anything less than half-an-acre.

1. A lot of removal = Plow
  2. Less removal = Shovel
  3. Medium amount of removal = There is no medium amount of removal, there is only plow and shovel.

Snowblowers are just a marketing ploy by the lawnmower companies to sell two machines or mangle Joe Sakic's hand. And for anything less than half-an-acre, a push reel mower and some sweat does a sufficiently good job too.

1. A lot of grass = Tractor
  2. less grass = Push reel
  3. Medium amount of grass = There is no medium amount of grass, there is only tractor and push reel.
18 minutes ago, mikewof said:

My son and I shoveled the 1.2 mile stretch of bike trail in minus-2 F, with our backs and our shovels.

bullshit

• Like 1

Uphill 5 miles in snow 5 feet deep both ways......

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mikewof said:

He sounds like a harmless nuisance. My son and I shoveled the 1.2 mile stretch of bike trail in minus-2 F, with our backs and our shovels. These "snowblower guys" are kinda lazy, imo. It barely snows in the Denver-Metro, we get maybe one or two snows per year that is anything other than dry powder ... shovel and muscle does the job on anything less than half-an-acre.

1. A lot of removal = Plow
  2. Less removal = Shovel
  3. Medium amount of removal = There is no medium amount of removal, there is only plow and shovel.

Snowblowers are just a marketing ploy by the lawnmower companies to sell two machines or mangle Joe Sakic's hand. And for anything less than half-an-acre, a push reel mower and some sweat does a sufficiently good job too.

1. A lot of grass = Tractor
  2. less grass = Push reel
  3. Medium amount of grass = There is no medium amount of grass, there is only tractor and push reel.

A favorite memory is (one of many) trips to north of Helen on Tray Mountain.  The "road" on the way up had some trees that had fallen.  My son wanted to tell the (very few) people who passed our campsite that they wouldn't be there except for our chainsaw.  Neighbors tend to be nice when they are happy with a wave and otherwise leave you the hell alone unless invited.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

bullshit

You asswipe, trying to distract from my son's accomplishment, he was very proud of that. And if you look carefully, you'll see that he's doing it in basketball shorts ... I went back a day later in the second photo to capture the length of the trail, all the way to the end, shoveled by hand.

20210214_134013.thumb.jpg.309db2874e28ce196170644dfc9f2845.jpg

20210215_142911.thumb.jpg.1f7b0efffadee58d3173762b29c333aa.jpg

2 hours ago, hasher said:

A favorite memory is (one of many) trips to north of Helen on Tray Mountain.  The "road" on the way up had some trees that had fallen.  My son wanted to tell the (very few) people who passed our campsite that they wouldn't be there except for our chainsaw.  Neighbors tend to be nice when they are happy with a wave and otherwise leave you the hell alone unless invited.

How old was your son when he cleared the road with a chainsaw?

My son is ten, but I think he'll need to be 14 or so before I train him on the chainsaw. Along with a cheater bar and the hydraulic ram, the chainsaw is the king of tools, imo. I think that any person who fires up a chainsaw immediately feels their true position in the chain of evolution.

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

How old was your son when he cleared the road with a chainsaw?

My son is ten, but I think he'll need to be 14 or so before I train him on the chainsaw. Along with a cheater bar and the hydraulic ram, the chainsaw is the king of tools, imo.

It scares me to ever see him with one.  But now he's the alpha and I'm just the ole fuck.  You never know, even the sly old fox might know a trick or two.

Have I missed something?

Shaggy's complaining because someone snow ploughed the whole street ?

In my old house, sometimes I used to mow the nature strips in the whole court. I mean, the mowers out, running, may as well do the neighbours  too. Was this wrong?

(confused)

8 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Have I missed something?

Shaggy's complaining because someone snow ploughed the whole street ?

In my old house, sometimes I used to mow the nature strips in the whole court. I mean, the mowers out, running, may as well do the neighbours  too. Was this wrong?

(confused)

I had a neighbor that used to do the same thing... problem is, he felt the right way to "mow" a lawn was to scalp it right down to the dirt. Appreciated the thought but not the deed.

- DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

I had a neighbor that used to do the same thing... problem is, he felt the right way to "mow" a lawn was to scalp it right down to the dirt. Appreciated the thought but not the deed.

- DSK

Exactly my sentiment on most things.  You need to be really comfortable with other people's taste, aesthetic, assessment of quality, interpretation of what you want, etc.  99 out of 100 times, I'm much happier without the unsolicited help.  85 of those 99 times I can fake being grateful well enough for the helper to get whatever satisfaction they need to feel good about themselves.  The other 14 of those 99 times, my helper induced stress shows in some way or I go and redo it in the fashion I wanted too quickly.  There's a boundary issue with assuming you know what other people want and doing it without checking.  That boundary issue is with the helper, but 99 out of 100 times the unhappy helped person seems like the ingrate, grump, oddball, anti-social person.  This rant could continue and spread to many areas, but I'll end it with the statement that it's good to check with others to see if they want your help and to understand that when they politely say no 2 or 3 times, they actually mean no. It's quite possible, if not an absolute, that other people don't have the same exact views, desires, and objectives as you.

• Like 1

I've often wondered if I am the annoying neighbor to one side.  He likes to bag, edge, sweep, and otherwise nicely care for a shared strip of grass in the front of both houses. (when he does his whole property)

My method is much more crude...  mow.

I don't bag, edge or anything.   I do a good job mind you, just none of the "extra" steps.

We've had friendly chats about mulching vs bagging, and he says he has no strong opinions.

Now @shaggy, how should I be washing rocks?  Is there a particular technique?  I do not want to be perceived as a slacker annoying neighbor. 

46 minutes ago, PurpleOnion said:

This applies to many of you other codgers out there as well - who bring enjoyment and wisdom to this community and others.

So, are you trying to say that I've been sharing a little TOO much wisdom lately? Sorry, didn't mean to overstep that boundary.....

;)

- DSK

1 hour ago, PurpleOnion said:

Exactly my sentiment on most things.  You need to be really comfortable with other people's taste, aesthetic, assessment of quality, interpretation of what you want, etc.  99 out of 100 times, I'm much happier without the unsolicited help.  85 of those 99 times I can fake being grateful well enough for the helper to get whatever satisfaction they need to feel good about themselves. 

I always felt this way after taking non sailing friends out for a sail. Pull back in and I want to do my routine of putting the boat to bed. I flake the mainsail exactly how I want it, go around and get the dock lines and springs exactly how I want it, make up the sheets for storage exactly how I like them..........and inevitably the people we took for a spin want to help. Generous offer but I either have to explain it in excruciating detail (because of my OCD) or wait till they leave and redo it all. 

Sigh.......it’s so hard being perfect. :lol:

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

So, are you trying to say that I've been sharing a little TOO much wisdom lately? Sorry, didn't mean to overstep that boundary.....

;)

- DSK

Ok. I'm an idiot. I meant to apply that to another post I made in another thread. .

Sadly I can't even blame booze.

23 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I always felt this way after taking non sailing friends out for a sail. Pull back in and I want to do my routine of putting the boat to bed. I flake the mainsail exactly how I want it, go around and get the dock lines and springs exactly how I want it, make up the sheets for storage exactly how I like them..........and inevitably the people we took for a spin want to help. Generous offer but I either have to explain it in excruciating detail (because of my OCD) or wait till they leave and redo it all. 

Sigh.......it’s so hard being perfect. :lol:

Yep, let them help, then walk them to the car, forget something, send them on their way. Then back to the boat.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:33 AM, Grrr... said:

It's time to move.  There's no such thing as a good neighbor.

Sounds like a variation on the poker table bit - if you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is... it's you. I've mostly got great neighbours.

One of them grooms the grass verges on all the roadway for 1/4 mile from his house - they look like putting greens.

O/K, that's weird enough that we give him a lot of space but it makes the whole area look nice.

Two brothers own the two houses behind us and they are Karens/Kyles but a 25' cedar hedge takes care of that.

When they started building my wife pointed out to one of them that they had a culverted underground stream running across the middle of their property.

"We know what we're doing - we're contractors" (they weren't).

He busted through when digging the foundation and has had a sump pump running 24/7 for the past 29 years. Needs a gen set for power outages because the entire basement will fill to ground level overnight if it's not pumped.

He knew what he was doing. :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Yep, let them help, then walk them to the car, forget something, send them on their way. Then back to the boat.

Yep.........thats what I finally did. I tried the "you sit and relax in the cockpit with a cocktail and I'll join you as soon as I do a few things" approach but you could tell they were always uncomfortable. The then Mrs PB finally told me that as lame as the attempts were they were part of the sailing experience enjoyment for those folks and I was stealing that last satisfying moment from them. She was right. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

It's Xeriscape (tm). Low or no water.

Get 'em dry cleaned.

Do they come back each rock rock wrapped in plastic?   

Not sure how I feel about that.  Bordering on wasteful.  But if that’s what it takes...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

had a 6' strip between driveway and crazy neighbors..   i liked to keep the grass long so as not to have to water too much..    he would mow it down to the height of his lawn (he wanted that 6' strip to look like it was part of his property to make his yard "look bigger")  

• Like 1
23 hours ago, mikewof said:

20210215_142911.thumb.jpg.1f7b0efffadee58d3173762b29c333aa.jpg

^ this is the problem. 3,500 foot houses on 7,500 foot lots!

Your neighbors sneeze and you say Gesundheit and offer them some Grey Poupon because your windows are arms length apart....

Then the fucking HOA bullshit kicks in! Which I have avoided for years now. But it goes something like this:

That sailboat has been in your drive longer than allowed or you didn't approve the paint color of your house! No, I didn't but I wasn't part of approving the disaster that is now my neighbor's newly diarrhea colored home with shit green plastic shutters and a trim color that would make you slow down just to take in the nightmare!

As an HOA paying douche I would go to all meetings and I knew their budget. I did treasurer for 2 years.

Please sue me over the color of my home! Please!

Nope, just nasty letters from bored stay at home moms.

• Like 1
On 2/26/2021 at 10:51 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Karma is a bitch, ain't it?

For quite a while, my wife and I lived in a nice older suburb of a university town in central NC. We had a 19' sailboat on a trailer in the driveway, this is a roughly 1/4 acre lot so the driveway is short and it's obvious from the road. I have a frame and a big tarp so it looks like a big tent.

Across-the-street neighbor, with whom I get along well, has a teenage daughter that is becoming increasingly wild... boyfriends screeching tires at odd hours, screaming in the front yard, a few other episodes. At some time during those years, I found beer cans in the boat in the driveway. Then some time later, I heard voices coming from under the tarp over the boat, late in the evening.

I get a bright flashlight, and a shotgun, load it (you never know), and quietly walk up to the boat. Flip back corner of tarp, shine light inside.... neighbor girl with 2 boys, clothes on but clearly in process of hanky-panky, and yes beer. At first the boys were terrified and blinded by the light but then overcome by testosterone and stupidity, they start making threats and one of them makes a move in my direction, at which point I shine the light on the shotgun. Long story short, one of them comes and cleans my boat and goes on to have a fairly nice life, the other gets in some other trouble and is given a choice of jail or the Army, neither has further involvement with neighbor girl. A year or so later she runs away with yet another older jailbird boyfriend.

Life in a small town

- DSK

Buies Creek ?

16 hours ago, Liquid said:

^ this is the problem. 3,500 foot houses on 7,500 foot lots!

Your neighbors sneeze and you say Gesundheit and offer them some Grey Poupon because your windows are arms length apart....

Then the fucking HOA bullshit kicks in! Which I have avoided for years now. But it goes something like this:

That sailboat has been in your drive longer than allowed or you didn't approve the paint color of your house! No, I didn't but I wasn't part of approving the disaster that is now my neighbor's newly diarrhea colored home with shit green plastic shutters and a trim color that would make you slow down just to take in the nightmare!

As an HOA paying douche I would go to all meetings and I knew their budget. I did treasurer for 2 years.

Please sue me over the color of my home! Please!

Nope, just nasty letters from bored stay at home moms.

Yeah, it sucks. But there is so little water out West here that it's the only way houses can now get built for working-class folks. And notice that all the roofs have solar, there is about 0.6 megawatts of solar power coming off of all those roofs, the builder owns the solar company, at this point it's a "give them the handle, sell them the blades" business model, they take the tax deductions from all the solar, sell the electrons to Xcel Energy, and then charge the homeowners a lease for the panels, then kick the tin for a kopek on our monthly bills.

To be fair, the houses all have six inch walls, high efficiency water heaters and HVAC, low-e windows, so the neighborhood is carbon neutral or close to it. They mostly solved the energy constraints.

But the water constraints, that's something else. Shags neighbors does Xeriscaping, this whole neighborhood is about 80% Xeriscaped, though we're not on Denver Water, but rather North Table Mountain Water, so they can't call it that. We have tiny bits of grass that some of the neighbors have already pulled out, and the rest is rocks and wild stuff, which is fine with me. (Except that some transplants from back East convinced the board to exterminate the prairie dog colonies, which then make it impossible for the natural plants to reestablish themselves, and then leaves us with rattlesnakes, rabbits, coyotes and weeds. I've been bugging them to just keep their toxic gas away from the prairie dog burrows and let the open spaces stabilize.)

Even without water, this kind of high rocky land can be fucking gorgeous, but only if the East Coasters who move here let go of the idea of it ever being a lush green paradise.

So half of my $7k-some property taxes go to $10 million some bond that was supposedly used by the Army Corps of Engineers to stabilize the flood plain, but I know what $10 million with of flood plain stabilization looks like, and we may have had $1 million or so, the rest is essentially an "incentive" for the County to allow the building to move forward even without the water. But Colorado has the Tabor Act, which doesn't allow such things, so this is the end run, they basically double our property tax but stay compliant with Tabor by running the extra $3,500/year through the HOA to pay for the bond.

It's all water. Water is the only thing that makes life move out here, because California secured a good chunk of Colorado's water a long time ago, so now we fight over a few droplets here and there. Even with the recent rule change, I'm still not allowed to catch the water that falls on my own roof, because I have access to municipal water. And they build these big homes on small lots because the County wants their property taxes, and they don't make much tax on yards, they make it on lots of bedrooms and bathrooms.

At some point inthefuture.com, terrawatts of ocean power off the coast of California, Oregon and Washington will make all the desalinated water that California could ever want, and we might then get to keep more of our water. (Colorado is only one of two states that doesn't receive any water from across a border, we have some water, but we just can't use it, the other state is obviously Hawaii.)

But ultimately, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Wyoming, Oklahoma, we will never be wet states, the only long term solution is live like the dryland Indians who were here first, and conserve water for making whisky, growing drought agriculture, and maybe flushing a toilet or taking a shower. There is no future here in Scotland-type manicured lawns and water-thirty trees. And all new neighborhoods will be variations of clusters of homes, which are the only rational way to live where water is scarce ...

p03xcq2j.jpg

I've little doubt that the working class folks at Mesa Verde had their own hell-forsaken HOA. It's the emerging consequence of being part of the working class.

2 hours ago, warbird said:

How is that "Solar"  working for you now?:ph34r:

I don't give a rat's blue asshole if it works or not, they're grid-tied. But, I checked the basement solar interface meter, and it still generates a surprising amount of power even when the panels are covered in snow.

We have about 300 sunny days per year in this state, and we really don't get that much snow here. Those solar panels kick out a lot of power.

I would have preferred a ground source heat pump to those solar panels, but it wasn't an option.