The post count around here relies on the failure of many people to put the idiot shills on ignore.

The function is there.

It's simple to use.

USE IT.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

The post count around here relies on the constant trolling by a few characters. 
Are they compensated for their efforts?? 

Thinking about what Scot is likely to pay, I actually get a kick thinking about how they probably live in a cold water flat in Camden, New Jersey.

2 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Thinking about what Scot is likely to pay, I actually get a kick thinking about how they probably live in a cold water flat in Camden, New Jersey.

Did Scot ever settle up with Dawg?  I hate to think that Scot and Trump have something in common....

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I don't know, but equating him to Trump could get you flicked.

He'd be doing me a favour.  I spend too much time here anyway....

• Like 2
Just now, badlatitude said:

I know, today is an absolutely gorgeous day here and I should be outside playing.

I just finished fiberglassing a repair patch onto a steel mower deck that had rusted right through. I was quite surprised at the size of the hole I ended up with after grinding it back to healthier steel.

Now I'm going out to play.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Knowing what I know...that seems wildly unlikely.

Their only compensation is a profound sense of satisfaction that they contributed to the downfall of a once great nation. Payment enough.

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I just finished fiberglassing a repair patch onto a steel mower deck that had rusted right through. I was quite surprised at the size of the hole I ended up with after grinding it back to healthier steel.

Don't they have JB Weld up there in Canuckistania? I thought you all were an advanced country

- DSK

30 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Don't they have JB Weld up there in Canuckistania? I thought you all were an advanced country

- DSK

We just got electricity in our igloos last week. But we have been using flex seal for years to build our canoes.

7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Aluminium deck is your friend.

30 year plus lifespan which works well with the indestructible side valve 4 stroke.

Unless you've got something different from the average....

10 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Whats the lifespan on those igloos?

Now that central heating is a thing......

We keep the heater outside, next the pike hole,  the igloo is for the chillin the brewskis.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

If you are fixing  your lawnmower with fibreglass, you are already playing.    

4 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

If you are fixing  your lawnmower with fibreglass, you are already playing.    

Well, it's 14 years old and it works just fine for what it does, which is more than I can say for myself. I have a couple of gallons of 105/205, and a bag of glass, so I have a different approach here.

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The post count around here relies on the failure of many people to put the idiot shills on ignore.

The function is there.

It's simple to use.

USE IT.

what's worse, being exposed to shitheads/assholes and the 'perspective' they provide or an echo chamber/circle jerk?

personally, if I had to choose, I'd take the shitheads/assholes and the perspective, it adds spice to the discourse.

you can keep up your crusade of telling others who to ignore, I get it, but it's mostly dead in the water.

edit to add- I'll only quote the dumbfucks when context deems it necessary.

29 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

personally, if I had to choose, I'd take the shitheads/assholes and the perspective, it adds spice to the discourse.

Yeah, I kind of miss Chessie - even though he threatened to drive all the way up here to punch my lights out. 

He was usually wrong, but contributed to the debate - such as it is. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Yeah, I kind of miss Chessie - even though he threatened to drive all the way up here to punch my lights out. 

ahh yes, the Turd Polisher. that sanctimonious sumbitch tried hard (too hard).

1 hour ago, 3to1 said:

what's worse, being exposed to shitheads/assholes and the 'perspective' they provide or an echo chamber/circle jerk?

Perspective and spice is a good thing.

Ignorant zealotry and lying is not.

The Mutt, Bupkes57, Vermin and their elk only add negative value, not perspective.

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Perspective and spice is a good thing.

Ignorant zealotry and lying is not.

The Mutt, Bupkes57, Vermin and their elk only add negative value, not perspective.

like I said, I realize you and some others choose not to stomach their toxic discharge. bearing that in mind, I do try to be selective in what I quote from the kkklowns out of consideration.

6 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:
13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Aluminium deck is your friend.

30 year plus lifespan which works well with the indestructible side valve 4 stroke.

My previous mower didn't react well to mowing salt water and the deck rusted out. I nearly caused a riot by asking only $800 for it in an ad that clearly said the deck was rusted out and needed replacing.

I bought the current one in 2005 and it has a steel deck with no rust problems, mostly because it's stored indoors and only used on dry grass.

5 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

AGITC?  Is he on Holiday from posting??

14 hours ago, Ishmael said:

My most recent use of fiberglass was using some FG cloth  with some THICKENED EPOXY! ( tequila shot) to rebuild the hole for my garage door lockset. The foam core of the door had fallen apart, the screw holes securing the faceplate on the jamb side were useless. A bunch came out in crumbles.

So drill the screw holes out to fit portions of 3/8 dowel, wrap the lockset in packing tape and spray with Wd40 and mush it into the glass and epoxy. The result was perfect and about $600 cheaper than a new door the contractor recommended.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

36,418 and counting

There are posters here who are no doubt paid, but I doubt it is by SA.

After what we have seen these last few years in social media, anyone who thinks that this forum is somehow immune from the disinformation machine is deluded.  Time and time again the shill here are echoing on the latest mantra from wherever.  They are not just posting here, professionals have multiple accounts across many forums.

Do you think that software like the below is not used by "Media Management" contractors?  It's everywhere now.  2011 story.  Old news.

"A Californian corporation has been awarded a contract with United States Central Command (Centcom), which oversees US armed operations in the Middle East and Central Asia, to develop what is described as an "online persona management service" that will allow one US serviceman or woman to control up to 10 separate identities based all over the world.

The project has been likened by web experts to China's attempts to control and restrict free speech on the internet. Critics are likely to complain that it will allow the US military to create a false consensus in online conversations, crowd out unwelcome opinions and smother commentaries or reports that do not correspond with its own objectives.

The discovery that the US military is developing false online personalities – known to users of social media as "sock puppets" – could also encourage other governments, private companies and non-government organisations to do the same.

The Centcom contract stipulates that each fake online persona must have a convincing background, history and supporting details, and that up to 50 US-based controllers should be able to operate false identities from their workstations "without fear of being discovered by sophisticated adversaries".

4 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

My previous mower didn't react well to mowing salt water and the deck rusted out.

This is what you get from a shill with +60K posts when you start talking about shills.

52 minutes ago, rastro said:

After what we have seen these last few years in social media, anyone who thinks that this forum is somehow immune from the disinformation machine is deluded.  Time and time again the shill here are echoing on the latest mantra from wherever.  They are not just posting here, professionals have multiple accounts across many forums.

Do you think that software like the below is not used by "Media Management" contractors?  It's everywhere now.  2011 story.  Old news.

"A Californian corporation has been awarded a contract with United States Central Command (Centcom), which oversees US armed operations in the Middle East and Central Asia, to develop what is described as an "online persona management service" that will allow one US serviceman or woman to control up to 10 separate identities based all over the world.

The project has been likened by web experts to China's attempts to control and restrict free speech on the internet. Critics are likely to complain that it will allow the US military to create a false consensus in online conversations, crowd out unwelcome opinions and smother commentaries or reports that do not correspond with its own objectives.

The discovery that the US military is developing false online personalities – known to users of social media as "sock puppets" – could also encourage other governments, private companies and non-government organisations to do the same.

The Centcom contract stipulates that each fake online persona must have a convincing background, history and supporting details, and that up to 50 US-based controllers should be able to operate false identities from their workstations "without fear of being discovered by sophisticated adversaries".

Seek help.

2 hours ago, rastro said:

fro  

The linked article is 10 years ago.  Is there any evidence that this "program" was ever followed through with??  Nothing would surprise me, but curious if this was followed through?

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

fro  

The linked article is 10 years ago.  Is there any evidence that this "program" was ever followed through with??  Nothing would surprise me, but curious if this was followed through?

So if it is generally accepted that all countries now engage in cyber warfare, what makes you think that this is not part of that?

I'm absolutely convinced that @jocal505 is a bot or a sock puppet from Lithuania given his tortured ability to write english and communicate thoughts and concepts in a clear fashion.  

1 minute ago, Burning Man said:

I'm absolutely convinced that @jocal505 is a bot or a sock puppet from Lithuania given his tortured ability to write english and communicate thoughts and concepts in a clear fashion.  

I'm convinced that a rich source of disinformation agents are military personnel exiting their duty.  Easy for one sock account to be used by either successive managers or multiple posters.

They already have a clearance of one type or another, understand the issues, have a successful track record in being good stooges who do what their told even if the acts do not align with their morals, or perhaps they have shown that they have no morals.

Just a theory, just putting it out there, just trying to avoid saying 'Just saying' like fuckwits do here.

10 hours ago, chum said:

Random was hurt by someone with a military background somewhere, somehow. Just a theory, Putin it out there.

probably sexually abused by a Scouts Australia troop leader when he was a wee lad and never got over it. And therefore hates everyone in uniform. Unrequited love is a hard thing to get over 

4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

probably sexually abused by a Scouts Australia troop leader when he was a wee lad and never got over it. And therefore hates everyone in uniform. Unrequited love is a hard thing to get over 

So what was the deal they gave you after you were passed your use-by date? 

Did they offer you the job as a sweetener to fuck off or did you make the offer?

21 hours ago, rantro said:

there's one small but serious flaw in your theory.

the only people here stupid enough to swallow what your "shills" are spooning.

are the shills,socks and elks.

So who would bother :D

7 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

You totally miss the point, that's what you are supposed to do. The entire approach depends on people like you having that attitude.

You probably believe that advertising doesn't work on you right?

8 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

There are lurkers on every social media site.

"Catapaulting the propaganda" doesn't hit the target every time, it's really more of a firehose of shit trying to get a little one everyone, everywhere.

People...believe things. When they hear them repeated, even without facts to back them up, they tend to believe them more. "They say..." is a strong argument to some.

By continually repeating, spreading, and elaborating the bullshit everywhere, some people pick it up as background noise to their belief system. It may gain...if not credibility, less incredibility at the lies. When someone argues one of the lies, other people have "heard it somewhere" and may nod their heads and agree without knowing exactly why.

This is why advertising works, too. It's all about impressions and repetition everywhere and inculcating unconscious beliefs and thoughts and background credibility to ideas.

Personally, I think SA and PA in particular is way too small for paid shills to bother with. But maybe not, because you can read the forums without joining and it appears they are indexed by Google. There are way larger populations of recreational enthusiasts to talk about this stuff too, and I'm guessing there's more of a focus on sports fan communities, RVing and camping, fishing and hunting, auto enthusiasts,  and other fora which attract visitors in the hundreds of thousands and memberships in the millions, unlike sailing.

I am a sock puppet for the Keeldude conspiracy foundation. 
There are over 100 currently active  SA Socks authored by our parent foundation. 
The Deep State’s Bilderberg fund pays for the ink and paper used in our SA posts. 
Our postage is paid by profits from our minced babies sauce 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, rantro said:

You totally miss the point, that's what you are supposed to do. The entire approach depends on people like you having that attitude.

You probably believe that advertising doesn't work on you right?

Not much it doesn't. I tend to limit my exposure.

6 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I am a sock puppet for the Keeldude conspiracy foundation. 
There are over 100 currently active  SA Socks authored by our parent foundation. 
The Deep State’s Bilderberg fund pays for the ink and paper used in our SA posts. 
Our postage is paid by profits from our minced babies sauce 

So why the fuck did you start the thread?

On 2/27/2021 at 3:29 AM, Gouvernail said:

Why don't you tell us?

So based on all the sage advice here . . 

I sent off an invoice to Scott yesterday. 

I want a Bendy-Toe 36.7 

7 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

So based on all the sage advice here . . 

I sent off an invoice to Scott yesterday. 

I want a Bendy-Toe 36.7 

He'll send over a couple of guys in the morning. You're getting toes 3, 6, and 7 bent. Maybe 11 and 12 too.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

He'll send over a couple of guys in the morning. You're getting toes 3, 6, and 7 bent. Maybe 11 and 12 too.

Good one !! 

2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

My hundreds of socks  are not among the paid few 

Are you?? 

I've been sacked here, from an unpaid account.

But then my post count is nothing like yours and I don't have any socks.  I created one but it got banned.

How do you get away with it?

2 hours ago, rantro said:

Why don't you tell us?

I come here because I get paid in brain cells.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Your're underpaid 

*you're

lolol

1 hour ago, rantro said:

But then my post count is nothing like yours and I don't have any socks.  I created one but it got banned.

Quality over quantity?

• Like 1
21 hours ago, rantro said:

One reason is he usually stood down after getting a finger wagging from a mod.

Not everyone does that. Some have to keep crossing lines, then turn round, piss on them, then try to stomp the line into mud.

On 3/1/2021 at 12:20 AM, rantro said:

I seriously use the socks for making irreverent wise assed remarks. I don’t use them to make personal attacks. 

the socks all date back to the 10,000 days at sea thread. 
I had a Soanya, Darshen, Reid, a weatherman, a yacht designer, a ship’s cook, a ship’s gardener, an expert in sail weathering, a psychologist, Reid’s old girlfriend, Soanya’s high school crush, and a bunch of others. 
I have not only forgotten the actual names I used but wouldn’t know the password to open the account if I tried. 

I am pretty sure most of the thread regulars knew the author of many of them was me. 

I find it amazing how many people who post anonymously get their panties on a wad about socks.  Unless you are easily traceable, you are Certainly no better than a sock. 

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

I find it amazing how many people who post anonymously get their panties on a wad about socks.  Unless you are easily traceable, you are Certainly no better than a sock. 

So why did you start this thread?  Did you get your panties knotted about paid shills?

3 hours ago, ModernViking said:

Well, I don't get paid at all .. B)

what, not even for denying the virus you said killed your dad?

6 hours ago, rantro said:

So why did you start this thread?  Did you get your panties knotted about paid shills?

Was there the slightest hint of frustration in my Op?? 
trll me how the following indicates anything other than curiosity...

On 2/26/2021 at 11:29 AM, Gouvernail said:

I stated an opinion and posed a question.

Please  explain how, based upon that playful post,  you found a frustrated author.

2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Please  explain how, based upon that playful post,  you found a frustrated author.

OK i'll bite.

Please explain how asking a question somehow became a statement I need to explain?

7 hours ago, rantro said:

OK i'll bite.

Please explain how asking a question somehow became a statement I need to explain?

Ok... I should have simply. Answered.

Sorry!

Here  ya go:

No

6 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

No

So why did you start the thread?

1 minute ago, rantro said:

So why did you start the thread?

To create a humorous discussion about paid shills where various idiots would post names of various other writers and claim those writers were working for somebody

and

others might post questions about why the thread was ever started.

How did I do??  

So if "astro" is an acronym for "a sock that's randumbly operated" then what is "rantro"?

So far all I've got is "randumb's anonymous nanothermite touting..." but I'm not sure what the r and o stand for.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:29 PM, Gouvernail said:

I thick expo is oune..........  hisse commen sensce approache to sailling/life and welle reseaned arguementes keepe me commeng backe.                                       :)

On 3/3/2021 at 7:12 PM, Gouvernail said:

To create a humorous discussion about paid shills where various idiots would post names of various other writers and claim those writers were working for somebody

and

others might post questions about why the thread was ever started.

How did I do??  

Sounded just like you are on the payroll.

Well done.

we have a shill who is very dedicated to koch-sponsored angles

hmmm, he posted propaganda onto five consecutive threads this morning

paid? I dunno but he gets a pass @Pedagogical Tom

he is the teflon shill and he streamed much race-baiting, as entertainment for us

O, it worked, on us, the best shit since boothy

this is Post 78 and this special and un-relenting shill has remain un-named; he is part of the fabric of the community  :D