I have to pick up a truck in Salt Lake City this weekend and drive it home to the SF Bay area. In Cali, you can get away with setting the cruise to 75mph and zoning out. What's the traffic enforcement like on 80 West?

23 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I have to pick up a truck in Salt Lake City this weekend and drive it home to the SF Bay area. In Cali, you can get away with setting the cruise to 75mph and zoning out. What's the traffic enforcement like on 80 West?

What color are you driving while ....?  

35 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

75 wont be fast enough for traffic from Reno to SF but you will never get a ticket at that speed if thats what you're asking

also, 75 indicated could be as little as 71 or 72 actual so check out your GPS speed

you will never get pulled over for speeding for a true 75mph cruise, too many idiots like me going 85 with bursts to 100 to mess up the truckadero games where they track you coming for miles and pull out to pass just when you get there and then take three miles to pass to fuck with you and entertain themsleves

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

also, 75 indicated could be as little as 71 or 72 actual so check out your GPS speed

you will never get pulled over for speeding for a true 75mph cruise, too many idiots like me going 85 with bursts to 100 to mess up the truckadero games where they track you coming for miles and pull out to pass just when you get there and then take three miles to pass to fuck with you and entertain themsleves

foil-hat.jpg

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

hey now, I worked in transportation, those guys get really really bored

I understand the bored aspect but don't see them slowing down to wait for the perfect moment.

I drove from SLC to Tahoe several years ago and locked cruise control to 75 on my gps. I got passed by everybody the entire time I was on I80.

Only time I saw a cop he was eatin donuts at a gas station.

2 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

the truckadero games where they track you coming for miles and pull out to pass just when you get there and then take three miles to pass to fuck with you and entertain themsleves

Our you sayenf the 'genttes' that drive the bigge rigges licke to fucke withe peopel driveng carres?                                 :)

• Like 1

Those trucks are sometimes governed to a max top speed.  Not uncommon to see 65 mph in these parts.  A 65 mph truck comes up on a 64 mph truck so, both have the pedal to the metal and the 65 mphg truck takes forever to pass.  The 65mph is doing his job, the 64 mph truck is doing his job and you should be glad that there are 2 such working guys making a living and feeding their families.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, warbird said:

Those trucks are sometimes governed to a max top speed.  Not uncommon to see 65 mph in these parts.  A 65 mph truck comes up on a 64 mph truck so, both have the pedal to the metal and the 65 mphg truck takes forever to pass.  The 65mph is doing his job, the 64 mph truck is doing his job and you should be glad that there are 2 such working guys making a living and feeding their families.

Our you mackeng excuises foire prickes withe attittudes?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

There's almost nobody out there.  Watch yourself as you near Wendover though.  (mile 0 on Route 80).  The worst will be the first 5-10 miles out of the city.  Once you pass Wendover, I've almost never seen a cop until Reno.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I drove from SLC to Tahoe several years ago and locked cruise control to 75 on my gps. I got passed by everybody the entire time I was on I80.

Only time I saw a cop he was eatin donuts at a gas station.

That's a pretty fair assessment

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Our you sayenf the 'genttes' that drive the bigge rigges licke to fucke withe peopel driveng carres?                                 :)

Not all, but enough. been up and down hwy 5 too many times and it will happen 4 times out of 5 unless you give it the beans and fuck up their math

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, warbird said:

maybe, but choosing a time when they can cause max pain to a train of cars going 80 to pull out is suspect and I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to crafty human beings

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

maybe, but choosing a time when they can cause max pain to a train of cars going 80 to pull out is suspect and I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to crafty human beings

Your train of 80 mph tourists is more important than the last train of 80 mph tourists or the next train of 80mph tourist?

I've seen many truckers when they realize you are now much closer than they expected when they checked again pull out way early, I then just speed up more and pass them on the right because their target solution was blown and they had 4 truck lengths still to close to get next to the other truck

the other trick they pull is to stay in the fast lane until someone finally says fuck it and goes to pass them on the right and then they move over to block them

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, warbird said:

Your train of 80 mph tourists is more important than the last train of 80 mph tourists or the next train of 80mph tourist?

why would you or the truckers give a shit? when the robots start driving it bring peace and happiness back to motoring, cant wait

then it will just be tradesman in their pickups pretending to be truckers, still much better

3 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

when the robots start driving it bring peace and happiness back to motoring, cant wait

who's going to program the solution to the conundrum of killing ten adults or one child ?

self driving vehicles will be confined to closed circuits / mine sites for decades to come .

6 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

why would you or the truckers give a shit? 

I don't give a shit.  Trucks taking forever to pass used to piss me off. At a family reunion 15 years ago I chatted with a cousin I hadn't seen in 25 years.  He had a brand new rig and they put a governor on it first thing. So I learned about some of this stuff.

8 minutes ago, warbird said:

He had a brand new rig and they put a governor on it first thing.

F=MA ....

trucks at a 100 :blink:

17 minutes ago, Mid said:

confined to closed circuits

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

US Millitarrey allredey hase

:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Mid said:
22 minutes ago, Mid said:

confined to closed circuits

7 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

US Millitarrey allredey hase

:rolleyes:

They tacke them on the Insterstates.............                           :)

21 minutes ago, Mid said:

who's going to program the solution to the conundrum of killing ten adults or one child ?

self driving vehicles will be confined to closed circuits / mine sites for decades to come .

there will be a hybrid where the driver gets the thing on the freeway and can then do other stuff/rest but all  surface street stuff is still a driver, thats the last I heard

1 hour ago, warbird said:

No

We should want that tonnage moved by FAR more efficient rail

- DSK

I don't give a shit.  Trucks taking forever to pass used to piss me off. At a family reunion 15 years ago I chatted with a cousin I hadn't seen in 25 years.  He had a brand new rig and they put a governor on it first thing. So I learned about some of this stuff.

1 hour ago, Mid said:

F=MA ....

trucks at a 100 :blink:

For some big carriers 63 or 65 or 70 is what they set them at. Fact of life,  insurance or fuel economy dictates.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

No

- DSK

We have iron ore moving down the Great Lakes on 800 to 1000 foot freighters:ph34r:

We have iron ore moving down the Great Lakes on 800 to 1000 foot freighters:ph34r:

And with all that iron ore, we ought to able to build some new railroad tracks to places that ships can't go

I haven't seen a "deliver by boat" option on Amazon.... that'd be cool!

- DSK

8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

And with all that iron ore, we ought to able to build some new railroad tracks to places that ships can't go

I haven't seen a "deliver by boat" option on Amazon.... that'd be cool!

- DSK

like those sushi places where the little boat comes by with your order on it

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i see a new business opportunity with autonomous driving...     on the go lady consorts...   pick up a lass at point A,  60 minutes later drop them off at point B for their return trip...

What, you want to talk to them for 55mins?

7 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

No prob.

I got pulled over @ 5PM  in Winnemucca, Nevada in 1987 doing 60 in what was then a national speed limit of 55.... I hadn't seen another vehicle in either direction for over an hour. Turns out the state cop's wife ran a motel in Winnemucca, and he suggested that I stay there for the night....

Talk about a corrupt system...

Anyway, in Utah I got passed by a state cop while I was driving 60-65 and  he blew past me like I was standing still. Saw him at the truck stop 3 miles up the road leaning against his hood talking to a young hottie....

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i see a new business opportunity with autonomous driving...     on the go lady consorts...   pick up a lass at point A,  60 minutes later drop them off at point B for their return trip...

I'm in!!!

7 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

tell that to the Judge.

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not an option out west - but a typical US river barge is 1500 tonnes. A convoy of 3 x 5 barges (3 wide) = 22,500 tonnes. Or about 900 trucks. So much more fuel efficient for cargo that is not time sensitive.

• Like 1

Delta wheels up at 6am, picked up new truck in SLC at 10am. Snow showers. Pleased to see 80 mph speed allowed on Interstate 80 - symmetry.  Weird dust and crazy crosswind at Bonneville - tempted to try some salty speeding in the new truck. Didn't - too old and cautious. Two refueling/bathroom stops. Redbull, spicy Slimjims and Pringles for lunch and dinner in motion. Home in San Jose by 9pm. Job done. No tickets. Adaptive cruise control is really, really, nice.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Delta wheels up at 6am, picked up new truck in SLC at 10am. Snow showers. Pleased to see 80 mph speed allowed on Interstate 80 - symmetry.  Weird dust and crazy crosswind at Bonneville - tempted to try some salty speeding in the new truck. Didn't - too old and cautious. Two refueling/bathroom stops. Redbull, spicy Slimjims and Pringles for lunch and dinner in motion. Home in San Jose by 9pm. Job done. No tickets. Adaptive cruise control is really, really, nice.

Glad it went well.... I saw a line of vehicles, incl. lots of Semis just stopped in the road ahead of me. I didn't see any accident, so I started to pull past this line. A trucker hopped out of his truck and waved me down. "Yer not familiar with this, by your plates, but don't try to go through there right now." I asked what the problem was. "Tumble weed stampede". I asked how bad getting hit by a little bundle of grass could be. He sort of snorted, and said "Those little bundles of grass are bigger than your car. They'd knock a hole in the side of my trailer. Your car would just be a crumpled fist  full of tin and guts"

I took his suggestion, and pulled back in line ahead of him....

• Like 1