Facnor Furler issues

24 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Anyone have one that gives you a hard time unfurling your jib?

Do they have the same packed bearings as pro-furl?

have you gone through all the standard furler troubleshooting issues?

33 minutes ago, mgs said:

Do they have the same packed bearings as pro-furl?

have you gone through all the standard furler troubleshooting issues?

I've played with halyard tension with no changes. Not sure about bearings but seem to be the same torlon bearings as my traveler. In an open captured mount. Furler is new and has always been tough. I've also written Facnor and they have replied but not much help. This is a smaller Corsair tri 750.

We had a Facnor that was a real bitch to furl and unfurl - came with the boat, and seemed to always give trouble no matter what we did to it..  Ended up replacing it with a harken MkIV when we re-rigged and couldn't be happier.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, mgs said:

New sail or was the existing modified? Did the boat have a furler previously? Any signs of a halyard wrap? Have you bothered @markvannote yet?

Existing sail unmodified and had a Schaefer furler before. I wanted something closer to the deck so obviously their flat deck system looked good to me. No halyard wrap. Had that issue with schaefer. I'll message Mark... thanks!

On 2/27/2021 at 12:38 PM, gbkersey said:

User error....

You need to go show us again how you managed to flip your Corsair 31!! Talk about user ERROR!! :P

On 2/26/2021 at 6:54 PM, DaveK said:

I've played with halyard tension with no changes. Not sure about bearings but seem to be the same torlon bearings as my traveler. In an open captured mount. Furler is new and has always been tough. I've also written Facnor and they have replied but not much help. This is a smaller Corsair tri 750.

Structural furler?  Continuous line?  And your issue is "unfurling"... not furling?  Wire forestay and zipper or velcro janks on jib?  Does the jib have vertical battens? And while this might sound like a stupid question but is it for sure correctly installed and has all the parts (both upper swivels)? Asking last because I have seen more than 1 or 2 improperly installed by owners.

Had one on our F27 and worked through the issues and liked it a lot but not enough info to understand your situation or to be able to try to help.

It's an aluminum furler with no continuous line. Pretty much just unfurling. Jib has plastic bead on luff that feeds up aluminum forestay. Yes on vertical battens  and both parts swivel.I'll try to post some pics

IMG_2957.jpeg

IMG_2958.jpeg

4 hours ago, cpt_757 said:

Halyard wrap is always my issue. Any suggestion?

I was pointed in the direction of a halyard restrainer, to get a better angle from the head of the sail to the mast. Have not yet tried that, though.

I note that the OP has a halyard diverter instead and reports no issues... interesting.... :-)

Cheers,

W.

Doesn't the donut above the top swivel serve as a halyard restrainer?

Is there any friction along the furling line/webbing back to the cockpit or a bad lead into the drum?

Sail may be too short add a small strop so that the swivel is closer to the restrainer. When the top of the swivel deflects as little as 30 degrees it torques the swivel and can keep it from turning. Also don’t loosen the halyard too much it can cause the same problem because the loose halyard allows the swivel to become misaligned with the halyard exit

10 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Doesn't the donut above the top swivel serve as a halyard restrainer?

Is there any friction along the furling line/webbing back to the cockpit or a bad lead into the drum?

As I understand the terminology:

So I have Halyard wrap. Now what - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

The terms don't appear to be well established, deflector and restrainer being used mostly for the "Deflector" setup in the image above, diverter being used for wheels... maybe "restrainer" is an overall term for any type of wrap-preventer?

Note Geert's experience in this post: 

...which is pertinent!    I would like to use a deflector wheel, it seems the easy option as I think I should be able to hoist it without having to (1) drop the mast or climb and install at height and (2) drill even more holes in the mast and (3) make it harder to use a non-furling sail on the foil but Geert and his neighbour's experience suggest it won't work...

Cheers,

W.

16 hours ago, DaveK said:

It's an aluminum furler with no continuous line. Pretty much just unfurling. Jib has plastic bead on luff that feeds up aluminum forestay. Yes on vertical battens  and both parts swivel.I'll try to post some pics

IMG_2957.jpeg

IMG_2958.jpeg

Ah, OK so a foil furler with a diverter wheel.

This would take a bit to explain (feel free to PM and can chat off line) but especially when you say its worse unfurling than when furling, I am guessing you maybe have too much jib halyard tension and the foil is binding on a slackened forestay.  There is actually a potential safety issue here  such that a friend almost lost his F33 when he couldn't furl a similar system after blowing the mainsheet in a severe squall.

Would suggest trying less jib halyard and more mainsheet (even if main is down... the topping lift will still help tension the forestay which is the ultimate goal.  If this has been a recurring problem its also possible the top of the foil is slightly damaged (kinked/bent) which would then make the situation worse.

Anyway, my best guess from a distance.  And I stress guess!!

6 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

...which is pertinent!    I would like to use a deflector wheel, it seems the easy option as I think I should be able to hoist it without having to (1) drop the mast or climb and install at height and (2) drill even more holes in the mast and (3) make it harder to use a non-furling sail on the foil but Geert and his neighbour's experience suggest it won't work...

Cheers,

W.

Interesting. I hadn't considered that the wheel would help more with spin halyards. My understanding is that it, like the restrainer, add a bit of separation between the headstay and the halyard to reduce the potential for wraps. 

As far as installation, the wheels typically go above the foil on the headstay so you have to go up the rig to install them. Sorry.

On our Harken MKIV, on a masthead rig, I don't have issues with furling or unfurling, but I do have to be very careful with the spin halyards, so maybe a wheel would help in my case. If I recall the Facnor comes with the wheel as part of the kit, and with Harken it's an add on. 

But, Tension of halyard has tbe really tight even with diverter wheel?  if  not tight enough halyard wraps  above wheel? It's happened to me.

Sorry made. a. Topic off fr OP’s question.

@cpt_757

I think what Wess is talking about is more tension on the halyard than the forestay, so much so that the halyard is pulling the mast forward a bit, hence the need for mainsheet tension.

can be an issue with a boat sans backstay.

best is to use a pennant to reduce the amount of halyard exposed and a halyard restrainer mounted on the mast. 

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 8:40 AM, WGWarburton said:

As I understand the terminology:

So I have Halyard wrap. Now what - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

The terms don't appear to be well established, deflector and restrainer being used mostly for the "Deflector" setup in the image above, diverter being used for wheels... maybe "restrainer" is an overall term for any type of wrap-preventer?

Note Geert's experience in this post: 

Cheers,

W.

Those things look like they were invented by rope manufacturers to sell more jib halyards.

If the top swivel is similar to the the one on the J 111 there are no ball bearings. Just plastic flat washers. Had to take it apart and rebuild it using

balls. Works fine now.

A friend's four year old Facnor flat deck furler had its lower bearings seize up. They are sealed and not replaceable. After some back and forth with the US distributor they replaced the unit at no charge.