"An eviction tsunami"

Just now, Cal20sailor said:

$5 says she'll ask for her security deposit back!

I definitely won't take that bet.  

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my case, the tenant had no negative records. She had just left her husband and had two young kids. Husband was an abuser and she had a restraining order against him. Shortly after moving in, she fo

There seems to be an assumption that all landlords are veritable young Mr. Farnsworths, the fourth generation trust fund babies. The trust fund babies own the notes on the houses, and they can’t wait

I don't know exactly what applications you handle.  But there are some excellent 3D printers out there that can handle continuous-string carbon fiber and make incredibley robust parts.  In fact the co

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Burning Man said:
10 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

$5 says she'll ask for her security deposit back!

I definitely won't take that bet.  

The REIT you buy shares in will never call you at 2am to come and unclog it's toilet

- DSK

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

More scumlord....

Jared Kushner’s Family Company Poised To Evict Countless Tenants As Extended CDC Moratorium Ends—Their Properties Have Filed At Least 590 Eviction Lawsuits In MD, NJ, And VA Since The Beginning Of The Pandemic, With 209 Suits In 2021 Alone

https://www.accountable.us/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/2021-08-19-Kushner-Eviction-Update-V2.pdf

A BILL

To clarify that the Secretary of Health and Human Services has authority to implement a residential eviction moratorium under the quarantine authority vested by the Public Health Service Act, and for other purposes.

1 Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representa

2 tives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

3 SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE

4 This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Keeping Renters Safe 5 Act of 2021’’.

https://bush.house.gov/sites/evo-subsites/bush.house.gov/files/evo-media-document/Keeping Renters Safe Act.pdf

On 7/27/2021 at 7:25 PM, Ncik said:

Surely to be exempt from paying rent they'd have to prove or attest (legally) they couldn't? In which case they wouldn't have any money pay for non-rent things. If they do, it is surely fraud. Who the hell writes your laws?

They attest that due to COVID, they can't pay rent, sign the second page of a two page form, and then they cannot be evicted with the moratorium in place ... and as far as I know, it is still in place until at least October.  I was told by both a housing lawyer and a rep from my state's agency that no effort is being made to determine fraud on the side of the tenants.

Who writes these laws? Nobody, apparently ... the moratorium order didn't come from a governing body, it came from the Center for Disease Control, which is one of our public health agencies. A few judges and "fringe" politicians have protested this, but generally nobody is willing to put their political careers on the line with it.

In the case of my grandmother's house, the tenant finally attacked one of the neighbors and threatened him with a hammer. Police got involved, made an arrest, eviction proceeded, the house is now empty as I fix, paint and rehab. I rented a 32-some cubic yard dumpster and had to fill it with the stuff they left behind, I threw out a brand new 60-some inch LCD television that had a fist-sized hole in the center. A few days before the eviction when I was mowing the lawn, the tenant ran out of the house to warn me about getting any errant grass clippings on her shiny new 2021 car that was parked in front of the house.

The neighbors are much happier now, and I hope to have a paying tenant in place in about a month. I also am getting close to selling my dad's old condo to the current tenant. I don't make any money on it anyway, and she is trying to get her credit in order to buy it. So things are okay again for now in that area.

On the other hand, the probate system is still a metric shitshow, with old folks around town losing ownership of their property for being diagnosed with "symptoms consistent with dementia." They then get a 24/7 care order placed on them, and if they can't do a reverse mortgage on their property, their custody is assumed by the State, they are sent to a nursing facility, and their property is sold through the probate court (often to a well-connected cash buyer) to pay for their nursing care. They then die in an institution instead of their own home. This problem seems an epidemic for those people who have few if any living relatives and never had children.

4 hours ago, bstrdsonofbtl said:

Filthy commies, eh?

Yes

On Sunday, 56 percent of voters in the German capital approved a nonbinding ballot initiative that asks the city government to expropriate the holdings of landlords who own 3,000 or more units. That would municipalize roughly 240,000 units, about 15 percent of the city's rental housing stock.

"The majority of Berliners eligible to vote opted for the socialization of the large real estate groups and thus against speculation with living space," announced the organizers of the Expropriate Deutsche Wohnen and Co., according to Deutsche Welle. (Deutsche Wohnen is a large real estate company.)

Organizers of the referendum want Berlin's government to make use of an eminent domain article in the German federal constitution to buyback the holdings of Deutsche Wohnen and other large landlords, pay "well below market value" for them, and then rent the apartments at more affordable rates to current residents.

We have such buybacks here as well, when the powers that be determine that some proposed use would serve a public purpose that some current owner is not fulfilling.

Makes me want to invest in German housing and roll the dice on whether my investment will be looted. How about you?

3 hours ago, bstrdsonofbtl said:

You wanna' commodify housing in that way you deserve to lose you money.

Want to? I'm actually doing it right now. Just signed a contract on new construction of a duplex.

One reason I'm willing to do it: It's only sorta likely that my government will decide it would be better if they owned it and buyback it. I wish it were less than "sorta" likely, but alas, govt looting is one thing on which we have achieved blessed bipartisan unity.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:37 AM, Excoded Tom said:

Want to? I'm actually doing it right now. Just signed a contract on new construction of a duplex.

One reason I'm willing to do it: It's only sorta likely that my government will decide it would be better if they owned it and buyback it. I wish it were less than "sorta" likely, but alas, govt looting is one thing on which we have achieved blessed bipartisan unity.

One of the biggest crimes against social justice now is the probate system, where people are given a 15 minute cognitive test in a hospital, while under the influence of any number of pharmas, and then deemed unfit to care for themselves due to "cognitive deficiencies." A 24/7 care order is placed on the patient after this 15 minute interview, and it is legally-binding.

At that point, the old bugger has to come up with some way of providing 24/7 care for himself or herself, and if not, they are removed to a care facility, the Government takes both guardianship of the individual and conservatorship of their financial resources, then that person's resources are liquidated to the nearest cash buyer through the probate court to pay for their care costs above Medicare.

Yeah Normy, I get your concern over some government entity confiscating the duplex you built, but how often does that happen compared the wholesale "looting" of the elderly through the probate system?

10 hours ago, mikewof said:

Yeah Normy, I get your concern over some government entity confiscating the duplex you built, but how often does that happen compared the wholesale "looting" of the elderly through the probate system?

If I thought that at all likely, I wouldn't build, which was kinda my point about how Germans are likely to react. Whether through rent control or eminent domain buybacks, "providing" existing housing by political mandate will mean new housing stops appearing.

I agree with you about the probate thing.

Does anybody know when the moratorium is going to end? I want to move to a new apartment, but it's a bitch now. I'm assuming all these assholes freeloading are causing the problem?

32 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Does anybody know when the moratorium is going to end? I want to move to a new apartment, but it's a bitch now. I'm assuming all these assholes freeloading are causing the problem?

Landlord kicked a delinquent renter out of a house in our neighborhood last week. The renter was more than a deadbeat, he'd paid his deposit and first month with a bad check and never paid a cent, as well as being somewhat of an unpleasant neighbor.

So, depending on your state I guess, it can be done.

- DSK

• Like 1
On 10/1/2021 at 9:33 PM, pusslicker said:

I'm assuming all these assholes freeloading are causing the problem?

Among other factors.

A brief history of the eviction moratoriums so far.

For a couple of days, President Joe Biden and members of his administration—citing Kavanaugh's unwillingness to tolerate an executive branch–issued moratorium past July 31—claimed they had no legal authority to re-up the CDC's eviction ban. "The president has not only kicked the tires; he has double, triple, quadruple checked. He has asked the CDC to look at whether you could even do a targeted eviction moratorium—that just went to the counties that have higher rates—and they, as well, have been unable to find the legal authority," White House adviser Gene Sperling said at a press conference on August 2.

One day later, the administration went ahead and issued just such a "targeted" moratorium, covering the 90 percent of counties where the spread of COVID-19 was rated as "high" or "substantial" by the CDC.

"The bulk of the constitutional scholarship says that it's not likely to pass constitutional muster," Biden admitted at a press conference that day. But, he said, "by the time it gets litigated, it will probably give some additional time while we're getting that $45 billion out to people who are, in fact, behind in the rent and don't have the money."

It was an exercise in lawlessness, albeit a temporary one. On August 26, the Supreme Court ruled 6–3 that the CDC did not have the power to issue an eviction moratorium. Still, the persistence of these measures captures a new way of thinking among some on the left: the rise of the idea that people should never be evicted for nonpayment of rent. When someone stops paying, this thinking goes, it's a problem for public policy—i.e., regulations and subsidies—to address.

For a year, the CDC was able to lay claim to a vast amount of power—arguably enough power to impose any restriction on private parties it deemed "necessary" to prevent the spread of a communicable disease. And although the CDC order was eventually struck down, moratoriums at the state and local level will persist long after the public health threat that initially justified them has ended. Seattle's moratorium on evictions for nonpayment won't expire until March 2022 at the earliest.

Meanwhile, these moves have deprived rental housing providers of the ultimate means to safeguard their property rights and remedy contract violations. It's also made their business a lot riskier.

In response, some landlords say they're raising the credit scores they'll require of new renters and increasing their security deposits. With home prices at record highs, there's also a powerful incentive to get out of the rental market altogether by selling off properties to owner-occupiers. Neither of those outcomes is great for tenants, many of whom rent precisely because they can't afford to buy right now.

"In terms of renting it out in the future, I'm way more skeptical," says Rivera. "I tried to be a good landlord. I got [my tenant] a job. I tried to be patient. But if evictions are that difficult to do, if it's going to take a year, if I'm not going to have a sense of who's in my house, it really does worry me."

Blanket eviction moratoriums were a novel feature of the COVID crisis. They look more and more likely to be a regular feature of our future—even when there isn't a crisis.

The majority of those who have recently applied to rent our properties have said something like, "My landlord is selling so I have to find a new place." Dramatically increasing the risk of being a landlord (along with high real estate prices) might just lead some to leave the business.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Among other factors.

A brief history of the eviction moratoriums so far.

The majority of those who have recently applied to rent our properties have said something like, "My landlord is selling so I have to find a new place." Dramatically increasing the risk of being a landlord (along with high real estate prices) might just lead some to leave the business.

This makes sense. Just another thing to happen during covid that seems counterintuitive at first. I was assuming people would couple up and move back home and there would be a ton of apartments on the market. I had no idea Trump would let all these fucks live on rent free, but then I guess this is how he deals with people he owes money to.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:28 AM, mikewof said:

They attest that due to COVID, they can't pay rent, sign the second page of a two page form, and then they cannot be evicted with the moratorium in place ... and as far as I know, it is still in place until at least October.  I was told by both a housing lawyer and a rep from my state's agency that no effort is being made to determine fraud on the side of the tenants.

Who writes these laws? Nobody, apparently ... the moratorium order didn't come from a governing body, it came from the Center for Disease Control, which is one of our public health agencies. A few judges and "fringe" politicians have protested this, but generally nobody is willing to put their political careers on the line with it.

In the case of my grandmother's house, the tenant finally attacked one of the neighbors and threatened him with a hammer. Police got involved, made an arrest, eviction proceeded, the house is now empty as I fix, paint and rehab. I rented a 32-some cubic yard dumpster and had to fill it with the stuff they left behind, I threw out a brand new 60-some inch LCD television that had a fist-sized hole in the center. A few days before the eviction when I was mowing the lawn, the tenant ran out of the house to warn me about getting any errant grass clippings on her shiny new 2021 car that was parked in front of the house.

The neighbors are much happier now, and I hope to have a paying tenant in place in about a month. I also am getting close to selling my dad's old condo to the current tenant. I don't make any money on it anyway, and she is trying to get her credit in order to buy it. So things are okay again for now in that area.

On the other hand, the probate system is still a metric shitshow, with old folks around town losing ownership of their property for being diagnosed with "symptoms consistent with dementia." They then get a 24/7 care order placed on them, and if they can't do a reverse mortgage on their property, their custody is assumed by the State, they are sent to a nursing facility, and their property is sold through the probate court (often to a well-connected cash buyer) to pay for their nursing care. They then die in an institution instead of their own home. This problem seems an epidemic for those people who have few if any living relatives and never had children.

Covid-Mikey seems to be the only landlord I know that blames a poor choice in tenants on the big bad gov't.  I'll never own a rental unit as the risk of a shitty tenant makes someone with a couple places a target. If you have 30, ok, maybe you can absorb some deadbeats or regulatory risk.

6 hours ago, pusslicker said:

This makes sense. Just another thing to happen during covid that seems counterintuitive at first. I was assuming people would couple up and move back home and there would be a ton of apartments on the market. I had no idea Trump would let all these fucks live on rent free, but then I guess this is how he deals with people he owes money to.

Trump started it and extended it, but Biden has extended it repeatedly since taking office, including once since saying he doesn't believe has the power to do it.

So it's not so much a Trump thing as a blessed bipartisan unity thing. Isn't it wonderful?

6 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Covid-Mikey seems to be the only landlord I know that blames a poor choice in tenants on the big bad gov't.  I'll never own a rental unit as the risk of a shitty tenant makes someone with a couple places a target. If you have 30, ok, maybe you can absorb some deadbeats or regulatory risk.

I think I'd want a lot more than 30 if I lived in California. The stories on landlording groups from out there are nutz. Takes a year or two and you get to pay the deadbeat's utilities the whole time. Can cost tens of thousands. FL is a bit different. A tenant can be gone in a month, two tops, in normal times if they don't pay the rent.

49 minutes ago, Excoded Tom said:

Trump started it and extended it, but Biden has extended it repeatedly since taking office, including once since saying he doesn't believe has the power to do it.

So it's not so much a Trump thing as a blessed bipartisan unity thing. Isn't it wonderful?

I think I'd want a lot more than 30 if I lived in California. The stories on landlording groups from out there are nutz. Takes a year or two and you get to pay the deadbeat's utilities the whole time. Can cost tens of thousands. FL is a bit different. A tenant can be gone in a month, two tops, in normal times if they don't pay the rent.

I’d agree, and the rate of return in Cali is pretty low.

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

Power was granted, not grabbed. In fact, Biden (and your boy Shitstain) invoked the 1944 Public Health Services Act.

https://www.hhs.gov/answers/public-health-and-safety/who-has-the-authority-to-enforce-isolation-and-quarantine/index.html

Then your boy Shitstain's Supreme Court said (Aug 25), well yeah, but Congress originally intended that to apply only to pest control despite the Act literally mentioning communicable diseases (AIDS, ...) and the quarantine section literally having an escape clause

PART G—QUARANTINE AND INSPECTION

CONTROL OF COMMUNICABLE DISEASES

SEC. 361. ø264¿ (a) The Surgeon General, with the approval of the Secretary is authorized to make and enforce such regulations as in his judgment are necessary to prevent the introduction, transmission, or spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the States or possessions, or from one State or possession into any other State or possession. For purposes of carrying out and enforcing such regulations, the Surgeon General may provide for such inspection, fumigation, disinfection, sanitation, pest extermination, destruction of animals or articles found to be so infected or contaminated as to be sources of dangerous infection to human beings, and other measures, as in his judgment may be necessary.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/COMPS-8773/pdf/COMPS-8773.pdf

What did Biden say above about the "bulk of constitutional scholarship?"

14 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Florida

A month is a bit aggressive 

6 weeks and a free bus ticket to California is civilized 

1 hour ago, slug zitski said:

A month is a bit aggressive 

That's just about the minimum possible given various notice and response times built into the process. Between 1 and 2 is the norm.

9 hours ago, Olsonist said:
16 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

"The bulk of the constitutional scholarship says that it's not likely to pass constitutional muster," Biden admitted at a press conference that day.

Even he knows that the power was not "granted" as you say, but he's willing to go for it mostly because people like yourself will excuse it with your usual lies.

Expand  

You quoted this and just this. However, Biden didn't just say that. He actually said:

... The bulk of the constitutional scholarship says that it’s not likely to pass constitutional muster.  Number one.  But there are several key scholars who think that it may and it’s worth the effort. ...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/08/03/remarks-by-president-biden-on-fighting-the-covid-19-pandemic/

So you left out But there are several key scholars who think that it may and it’s worth the effort in making your Even he knows that the power was not "granted" as you say conclusion. Cute.

Ah, so that's why you want to talk about this subject in a thread where the evidence is not.

What did Sperling say again?

"The president has not only kicked the tires; he has double, triple, quadruple checked. He has asked the CDC to look at whether you could even do a targeted eviction moratorium—that just went to the counties that have higher rates—and they, as well, have been unable to find the legal authority," White House adviser Gene Sperling said at a press conference on August 2.

Biden knew Trumps moratorium is unconstitutional and renewed it anyway.

It's weird that Kavanaugh (belatedly) voted against the unconstitutional Trump/Biden eviction moratorium. It's like he already forgot who gave him the job.

In the lower courts, most TeamR appointees have gone against it. 7 of 9.

So I decided to see what it looks like when a Trump appointee upholds the unconstitutional Trump/Biden eviction moratorium

Turns out it's like selling little turtles.

The tsunami turns out to be a ripple

The market reaction to the end of the moratorium...

Nevertheless, a month after the end of the federal eviction moratorium, these millions of evictions have yet to materialize. Indeed, while filings have increased, they remain well below historical averages almost everywhere in the country.

Rather than deal with evictions, we are just selling a bunch of our condos.  We were in debt due to deadbeat non-paying tenants owing us 30+ grand. Our credit was destroyed.  They didn't have to pay because of Covid, and we couldn't evict, because of Covid.  After 2 years of Covid, and retirement from the daily rat race fast approaching, I reevaluated our goals and direction.  Selling a bunch to get liquid, and be well funded to travel again as soon as Covid is over, and enjoy retirement, and our kids, and soon to be grandkids.   

As I have opined in another thread, this country is so fucked up with anti-vaxers, and right wing nutjobs, I can seriously consider spending half of the year in Europe, or any other friendly, temperate place to GTFO of the US of A!!

Dunno why the spacing is all fucked up?

5 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Rather than deal with evictions, we are just selling a bunch of our condos.  We were in debt due to deadbeat non-paying tenants owing us 30+ grand. Our credit was destroyed.  They didn't have to pay because of Covid, and we couldn't evict, because of Covid.  After 2 years of Covid, and retirement from the daily rat race fast approaching, I reevaluated our goals and direction.  Selling a bunch to get liquid, and be well funded to travel again as soon as Covid is over, and enjoy retirement, and our kids, and soon to be grandkids.   

As I have opined in another thread, this country is so fucked up with anti-vaxers, and right wing nutjobs, I can seriously consider spending half of the year in Europe, or any other friendly, temperate place to GTFO of the US of A!!

You set this to right justified. You should be on left justified.

image.png.3d6effa4e79b08537149b11254c71ad4.png

58 minutes ago, Excoded Tom said:

The tsunami turns out to be a ripple

The market reaction to the end of the moratorium...

We went to court on Tuesday and had our eviction granted.  Buh bye freeloading bitch!

Edit to add..... we started the eviction process the day after the moratorium ended.  We had to go through the whole service process, arbitration and then finally the court hearing.  It was worth it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I think this new computer has a mind of it's own; shit keeps changing without my doing anything, unless it's accidental???

7 hours ago, Burning Man said:

We went to court on Tuesday and had our eviction granted.  Buh bye freeloading bitch!

Edit to add..... we started the eviction process the day after the moratorium ended.  We had to go through the whole service process, arbitration and then finally the court hearing.  It was worth it.

I'm sure that's a relief and I hope she didn't dump a bag of concrete down a toilet on the way out.

But you seem to be more the exception than the rule among landlords. Evictions are up, obviously, but still below historic norms. There was, apparently, no emergency need for the moratorium. It was just a vote-buying power grab based on the fact that there are a lot more voters who rent than voters who are landlords.

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

What do you do to get that screen?  I must have accidentally changed it without realizing it?  New machine is so fast, that one fault key stroke can send it somewhere different, unintentionally....

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

What do you do to get that screen?  I must have accidentally changed it without realizing it?  New machine is so fast, that one fault key stroke can send it somewhere different, unintentionally....

It doesn't matter now, you're back to normal.

image.thumb.png.e8d9975a68c101b972f3dc5771a43d4d.png

20 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

It doesn't matter now, you're back to normal.

image.thumb.png.e8d9975a68c101b972f3dc5771a43d4d.png

It matters to try and understand what I accidentally did to cause it, to avoid a repeat performance! :blink:

Just now, billy backstay said:

It matters to try and understand what I accidentally did to cause it, to avoid a repeat performance! :blink:

Well, just look at the screen grab I sent, it tells you everything you need to know.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Well, just look at the screen grab I sent, it tells you everything you need to know.

Yes, but I was asking how do I find that screen to check if it's left or right?

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

Yes, but I was asking how do I find that screen to check if it's left or right?

You were just looking at it while you typed your reply.

21 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

I'm sure that's a relief and I hope she didn't dump a bag of concrete down a toilet on the way out.

But you seem to be more the exception than the rule among landlords. Evictions are up, obviously, but still below historic norms. There was, apparently, no emergency need for the moratorium. It was just a vote-buying power grab based on the fact that there are a lot more voters who rent than voters who are landlords.

I agree with that last bit about it being political. Do you think those renters were mainly D or R voters?

2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I agree with that last bit about it being political. Do you think those renters were mainly D or R voters?

Judging by the actions of Trump and Biden, they both think there are sufficient numbers of renters on their Team to be worth pandering and unconstitutionally grabbing some power. Their guess is probably better than mine. My first thought on reading your question was that I have no idea about the politics of any of my tenants, some of whom have been with me 5 years now.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:35 AM, Excoded Tom said:

I think there's a few things to consider:

A lot of states have their own bans/limits that delay a reversion to the norm.

States are incentivized to slow roll acceptance of the forms and reporting.

So using that as a metric isn't as effective.

---------------

The fact that the ban happened at all accelerates the corporate level consolidation of the renter's market.  Most individual landlords aren't good enough to vet more than a few tenants and can't survive 'zero rent' for extended periods of time so they'll just phase out, selling to bigger fishes.  The big boys are cool - they'll let people stay forever paying nothing if they know the government will give them checks - hell, that's a GREAT situation for them.  Competitive rates set by market forces but Uncle Sam foots the bill?  What's not to love.  Just have to have enough capital to survive the 18-24 months it takes for the US government to actually start sending out money.  But once is flows...

Investment firms are sniffing the sweet sweet aroma of the residential REIT market and its exploding.  There's really not much different between a mortgage CDO and a rental CDO except the rental CDO has more upside, particularly if you've bought up several of the key transitional classes of real estate.  Those CDOs have GROWTH potential whereas the mortgage CDO was limited to preservation of capital.

You will own nothing and be happy.  Managed societies are the plan.

4 minutes ago, BeSafe said:
On 10/9/2021 at 4:35 AM, Excoded Tom said:

Evictions are up, obviously, but still below historic norms. ...

I think there's a few things to consider:

A lot of states have their own bans/limits that delay a reversion to the norm.

Yes, but even where that's not the case,

Evictions have increased more markedly in places that were only covered by the CDC moratorium.

Connecticut, where a state moratorium expired at the end of June, saw a little over 1,000 eviction filings in September alone.

"That's the highest number of evictions filed since March 2020, when the pandemic began. It's almost double the number of evictions filed in August 2021," says Erin Kemple of the Connecticut Fair Housing Center. "While we're not meeting the numbers prior to the pandemic yet, we're getting close."

Even with that sharp increase in evictions and no local moratorium in place, however, filing rates are about 60 percent of historical averages in Connecticut. That's true for most other states and cities for which the federal moratorium was the last protection against eviction.

20 minutes ago, bstrdsonofbtl said:

FBrCOTtWQAMsoTp.jpg

I'd like to see that compared to voting trends. Although there are some areas that are suspect regarding what the votes are versus what the votes should be. Calling Mitch McConnell to the White courtesy phone.

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I'd like to see that compared to voting trends. Although there are some areas that are suspect regarding what the votes are versus what the votes should be. Calling Mitch McConnell to the White courtesy phone.

I can compare them to regulating trends. Those top states are all ones where I see landlords complaining about how it takes a year or two and tens of thousands of dollars to get rid of a deadbeat tenant. They've gotta make that up somewhere, so it comes out of the pockets of non-deadbeat tenants.

None of which has anything to do with the thread topic of the Trump and Biden administrations unconstitutionally assuming control of landlords' properties.

I guess it's sorta related: if you can get the government to just give you someone else's property, there's no need to work for a higher wage.

• 3 weeks later...

In "meddlesome fucks who think they own rental properties" news,

If approved by voters, St. Paul’s rent control ordinance would be among the strictest in the world

St. Paul, on the other hand, has the opposite situation. Thanks to the city’s ballot initiative rules, a proposal has already been written by a coalition of advocacy groups called Housing Equity Now Saint Paul (HENS). With almost all the details laid out in writing, if it passes, the only thing left to city leaders would be the implementation of things like enforcement and variance regulation.

The short version of St. Paul’s proposed ordinance: The law would cap rent increases for all of the city’s 65,000 rented homes at 3% per year, but includes a complicated list of factors that allow landlords to apply for a variances — things like property taxes, maintenance issues, capital improvements (only if needed to bring a building to code), and a few others. The process for applying for the variances is yet to be determined. The ordinance exempts only subsidized housing from the caps.

“For rent stabilization, the obvious benefit is that once you move in somewhere, your rent is not going to go up too quickly,” Phillips said.  “The overlooked benefit is the stability and certainty. Homeowners don’t really appreciate… how precarious it can be to be a renter. Even if you’re doing perfectly well, you don’t know what the future holds.”

This reminded me of a recent call I received. One of my tenants saw an ad I put up for a home that's nowhere near as nice as hers and the price was more than she was paying. She recognized my phone number and called me to ask what her rent would be at the end of her lease. I told her it was going up by $50, still under the other place. We recently signed another year lease on those terms.

She's great. Takes very good care of our property, always reliable, reasonable, and accomodating. I don't wish to lose her and know she can't afford what I could really charge for that home. If she leaves, rent is going up by way more than 3% and I'm glad I don't have to explain why to any meddlesome fucks who think they own the property.

As for capital improvements that are not required by code, this reminds me of a recent replacement of an ancient air conditioner. My tenants, who are also paying less than I could get today, contacted me the next month to say that their utility bill had gone down by over $50. Well, guess what? They're not going to be the only beneficiaries of that investment when renewal time comes.

HENS Rejoice in St. Paul

A day after St. Paul voters passed one of the most stringent rent control ordinances in the nation, many basic questions about its implementation remain unanswered, including when it takes effect.

While the city charter states that an ordinance passed by referendum becomes effective immediately, the rent stabilization language passed by St. Paul voters includes an implementation date of May 1, 2022.

That prompted some renters to contact KARE11 and the city of St. Paul to ask whether their landlords could increase rent in the next few months. City leaders were unable to offer a decisive answer on Wednesday, even taking down a website it had created to answer questions about rent stabilization just hours after launching it.

"It could be something that lawyers fight about in court," said Max Nesterak, deputy editor of the Minnesota Reformer.

Nesterak says there's a lot at stake because the St. Paul ordinance, as written, is among the most stringent in the country. It caps rent hikes at 3% per year and though landlords can seek exceptions, inflation isn't one of them.

"They can only seek exemptions for things like tax hikes or making renovations that bring the apartment up to code; not stainless steel appliances, not new bathrooms, just bringing the units up to code," Nesterak said. "What we see in rent control ordinances across the country is there's normally some movement. When prices go up, people allow rents to rise a little bit more. As we see more inflation happening now, because of supply chain issues, (the St. Paul ordinance) may pose a problem for landlords."

It could also pose a problem for developers because the 3% cap applies to all units, even new construction.

"The concern of not exempting new construction is that it will deter developers from building any new housing at all," Nesterak said. "I think one of the first real tests of this policy will be what happens at the St. Paul Ford Site, now called Highland Bridge. It's one of the biggest developments happening in St Paul history. It's 3,600 new units, 20% are slated to be affordable. I talked to a developer with Ryan Company and they said they're concerned that they may not be able to find investors in their project.

Proponents say, 'We're going to call the bluff on developers, we think St. Paul is a great city and they'll still want to build here.'"

Um.. yeah, a ballot initiative that clearly violates the city charter just might become part of a legal challenge.

Even assuming that's unsuccessful, "calling this bluff" is not likely to end well. I know what I'd do in response. I have to go get an easement notarized for a duplex I'm building today. I think I'd play with my golf cart and abandon the project instead if faced with meddlesome fucks who think I'm building their duplex, not mine.

On 10/4/2021 at 12:14 PM, Raz'r said:

You seem to show no real understanding here. Perhaps you should educate yourself on what the eviction process normally is, versus what it is/was under a moratorium.

On 10/8/2021 at 6:37 PM, billy backstay said:

When Duh-Razor read this he likely blamed you for picking bad tenants. 

On 10/15/2021 at 10:03 PM, Ishmael said:

Interesting, but way too broad.  If someone could even find a 2 bed home for rent where I live in Idaho, $17/hr is not even close.

28 minutes ago, mikewof said:

You seem to show no real understanding here. Perhaps you should educate yourself on what the eviction process normally is, versus what it is/was under a moratorium.

Like the way you educated yourself on Covid before rambling on incoherently about how it is similar to the flu?  By far the DUMBEST and most IRRESPONSIBLE comments made in the history of this site.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 5:13 AM, Seriatim Tom said:

Few things are as permanent as a "temporary" government power grab.

"To date, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky and her team have been unable to find legal authority for a new, targeted eviction moratorium," White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said in a statement Monday

"The President has not only kicked the tires; he has double, triple, quadruple checked.  He has asked the CDC to look at whether you could even do targeted eviction moratorium—that just went to the counties that have higher rates—and they, as well, have been unable to find the legal authority for even new, targeted eviction moratoriums," said White House advisor Gene Sperling at a press conference the same day.

That elusive authority was never found but oh well.

The Biden Administration Is Asking an Appeals Court to Lift the Order Blocking OSHA's Vaccine Mandate

The Biden administration today asked a federal appeals court to dissolve the stay blocking implementation of its vaccine mandate for private employers, warning that any delay in enforcing the rule "would likely cost many lives a day." In an emergency motion filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, the government's lawyers say there is no merit to the statutory or constitutional arguments against the mandate, which demands that companies with 100 or more employees require them to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or wear face masks and submit to weekly testing.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) published that "emergency temporary standard" (ETS) on November 5. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit temporarily blocked it the following day, saying it raised "grave statutory and constitutional issues." The 5th Circuit extended its stay on November 12, saying the ETS is "fatally flawed" because it "grossly exceeds OSHA's statutory authority." Last week, various challenges to the mandate, including the 5th Circuit cases, were consolidated and assigned by lottery to the 6th Circuit, which the government is now asking to override the other court's order.

The 6th won the hot potato lottery and gets to decide whether the administration was right last summer or is right now.

In eviction ripple news, One of the Country's Last Eviction Moratoriums Is Struck Down

Boston politicians are fighting to retain one of the country's last remaining eviction bans in the face of a waning pandemic and an adverse court ruling. Newly elected Boston Mayor Michelle Wu has vowed to contest a state judge's ruling, which found that the city's moratorium was an abuse of its emergency powers.

BPHC argued in response to their lawsuit that its own eviction moratorium was necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and was therefore justified by state public health laws that gave it the power to craft "reasonable public health regulations" to combat communicable diseases.

In a Monday decision, Housing Court Judge Irene Bagdoian firmly rejected this argument, saying that nothing in the statutes cited by BPHC would suggest that an eviction moratorium that overrides state landlord-tenant law was "reasonable."

"This court perceives great mischief in allowing a municipality or one of its agencies to exceed its powers," wrote Bagdoian.

Boston's sweeping ban was one of the last of its kind.

It's also one of the few local moratoriums to be successfully challenged in court. Judges have generally given local and state governments wide latitude to impose whatever limits on evictions they see fit during the pandemic.

These moratoriums have been justified as necessary to prevent a "wave" of evictions during the pandemic. That fear was always overblown, and wave has failed to materialize almost anywhere eviction bans have been allowed to lapse.

The policies have, however, put an incredible amount of hardship on a limited number of landlords, who have effectively been forced to provide free housing for unscrupulous, and in a few cases dangerous, tenants.

Jeff and Cliff have both shared their troubles with the moratoriums.

Having to evict someone is a disaster for a landlord, not something anyone is yearning to do. It never got close for me. The worst pandemic effect that I've seen has been otherwise good tenants being a bit late, nothing that would make me want to lose them, let alone evict them. I'm sending another year renewal to one of those today. Another is month-to-month so I could get rid of her any time, but I haven't and won't.

We happen to have two of the "limited number" of landlords affected here on the forum, but the "tsunami" turning out to be a ripple really isn't a big surprise to me. Landlording discussions online focus on the problems, of course, but there's a pervasive desire to work things out to keep tenants if possible, or do a "cash for keys" arrangement or something if they really have to go.