Know anyone who always has a guy who will give him stuff or work for him?  One guy here is like that.  He's got a guy for everything he needs.  Of course "the guy" will do it all for free cuz "he owes me".

Know anybody like that?

I used to be that guy.

48 minutes ago, Jules said:

Know anyone who always has a guy who will give him stuff or work for him?  One guy here is like that.  He's got a guy for everything he needs.  Of course "the guy" will do it all for free cuz "he owes me".

Know anybody like that?

My daughter lives on the side of a mountain outside of Asheville.  She has a network.  Being her father, I'm sometimes concerned.  But at this point, I think more people have her back better than I ever could.

2 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

I no longer am that guy.

My family used to walk and see Guy Davis on the corner sweeping the sidewalk.  I didn't need to hire him, but I cherish him for the stories and the comradery. 

I have a guy like that.

He managed to get a crucial part of my boat fixed for $100 and a case of beer.

Ironically enough he was directly involved when that same crucial part broke and ended up totaling my boat.

That said, I sat back and split a 12-pack with him yesterday as the undertaker attempted to haul away my damaged mistress.  One incident doesn't change the fact that he's a great guy and I'm lucky to know him and that he shares his stories with me.

I always thought that would be the perfect name for a handyman/ mr. fixit type business. I can just see a van with the name I Know A Guy and a phone number on the side of it.

• Like 2

Wind transducer took a crap. I need to find that guy. Hopefully a skinny guy/gal that's not afraid of heights, as I am no longer that. (Possibly it's the potential greater force during the deck impact caused by the additional mass that makes the elevation more nerve wracking...)

Otherwise, I am that guy. Particularly if plumbing or electrical is involved. Better being the guy than loaning out the tools. I generally get beer for payment, so it all works out. Possibly the beer for payment has been responsible for the increase in body mass, which means I'm now reluctant to fix the wind sensor.... The circle of life.

I never really “had” a guy like that but stumbled across them to my great advantage several times. They are always willing to help for the love of the task and the joy of being helpful. The best was a guy I ran into at the bar in the yacht club. I was sniveling that the universal diesel in my 30 foot Catalina had shit the bed and I had to sail her home and into the slip engineless. (long story on what the problem was). I had a mechanic look at it and he said it would need to be brought to his shop for repairs. I was lamenting that pulling the engine myself was a very intimidating prospect. The “guy” said “oh hell that tiny engine, you and I can get it out in an hour”. We never even settled on a price. Sure enough, it came out and was sitting on the dock on a dolly in about an hour. Then he said “you want me to do the rebuild/repairs?” Buoyed with confidence at getting out, I said sure. We put it in the back of his pickup and off he went. Two weeks later we put it back in the boat and it ran like a dream till I sold her. The price he asked for was so far below the other that I was stunned and tried to give him more. He declined and said if I bought him a couple drinks at the yacht club every time we were in there at the same time that would be good enough. So the deal was done. Sometimes I’d just buy a drink or two, sometimes I’d pick up his tab for that visit. All done on a handshake and neither of us went back on our word. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Willin' said:

I always thought that would be the perfect name for a handyman/ mr. fixit type business. I can just see a van with the name I Know A Guy and a phone number on the side of it.

Kudos to Jules for the thread, but with all due respect, I think that, "I know a Guy", has a better ring to it than "I've got a Guy'!! :lol:

19 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I never really “had” a guy like that but stumbled across them to my great advantage several times. They are always willing to help for the love of the task and the joy of being helpful. The best was a guy I ran into at the bar in the yacht club. I was sniveling that the universal diesel in my 30 foot Catalina had shit the bed and I had to sail her home and into the slip engineless. (long story on what the problem was). I had a mechanic look at it and he said it would need to be brought to his shop for repairs. I was lamenting that pulling the engine myself was a very intimidating prospect. The “guy” said “oh hell that tiny engine, you and I can get it out in an hour”. We never even settled on a price. Sure enough, it came out and was sitting on the dock on a dolly in about an hour. Then he said “you want me to do the rebuild/repairs?” Buoyed with confidence at getting out, I said sure. We put it in the back of his pickup and off he went. Two weeks later we put it back in the boat and it ran like a dream till I sold her. The price he asked for was so far below the other that I was stunned and tried to give him more. He declined and said if I bought him a couple drinks at the yacht club every time we were in there at the same time that would be good enough. So the deal was done. Sometimes I’d just buy a drink or two, sometimes I’d pick up his tab for that visit. All done on a handshake and neither of us went back on our word. 

Ever added up the cost of 30 years of drinks? :D

Just now, billy backstay said:

Kudos to Jules for the thread, but with all due respect, I think that, "I know a Guy", has a better ring to it than "I've got a Guy'!! :lol:

Best name along those lines I ever saw was a small moving operation;

"Two Small Men With Big Hearts"

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Ever added up the cost of 30 years of drinks? :D

Yeah.....your point is well taken..........but I enjoyed the experience and our little ceremony as a continued part of the experience. It was worth it. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Yeah, I had to think twice before opening the thread.... I thought maybe she'd finally gotten laid or something! ;):D:lol:

• Like 1

In our little town, a bunch of retired "guys who know how to do stuff" have banded together, got the council to donate a large workshop space, and fix/make stuff for the needy or the broke. Local hardware/building suppliers donate materials.

The retired guys have a purpose in life, a circle of friends, they do a good job, and they don't charge. Donations including beer are gratefully accepted.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Tax Man said:

Business here called “Rent a Son”

There's a Rent a Husband here.

Not sure if they are restricted to handyman stuff or not.

4 hours ago, Point Break said:

Yeah.....your point is well taken..........but I enjoyed the experience and our little ceremony as a continued part of the experience. It was worth it. :rolleyes:

but the thing is,  when you bought him drinks, you weren't paying him for the work he did,  but for the person he was...

when I opened the thread,  i thought it would be about someone discreet and with good aim..

• Like 3

In 1985 I bought my first house.  My son was one week old.  The house needed everything, and I was just beginning my career.

With one week off of work, I intended to drywall.  Home Depot loaded the drywall on my porch.  My neighbor came over.  I was a rank amateur with the slightest experience.

Another neighbor made his living as the fix-it guy.  

If you treat folks well, they will help you when you find yourself in the ditch.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

but the thing is,  when you bought him drinks, you weren't paying him for the work he did,  but for the person he was...

when I opened the thread,  i thought it would be about someone discreet and with good aim..

It's kinda like fight club. Those that know "that" guy, never talk about "that" guy!!

:ph34r:

WL

1 hour ago, Happy said:

In our little town, a bunch of retired "guys who know how to do stuff" have banded together, got the council to donate a large workshop space, and fix/make stuff for the needy or the broke. Local hardware/building suppliers donate materials.

The retired guys have a purpose in life, a circle of friends, they do a good job, and they don't charge. Donations including beer are gratefully accepted.

Oh man.    I would totally be there!!!!!

2 hours ago, Happy said:

Great system!!  "It takes a Village", to a whole new level....

10 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Oh man.    I would totally be there!!!!!

This is OZ we're talking about. Here in the USA there'd be a corporate sponsor who collected membership dues, and then expected the collective to pay the rent and utilities, while videoing youtubes to sell online, with their products front and center.

51 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Good point but the two things are intertwined it’s hard to separate. He was a good dude. That boat is long sold and I moved to another boat, harbor, and yacht club. Haven’t seen him in 25 years. But if he walked into my club tomorrow......he gets a drink. That was the deal.

2 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

This is OZ we're talking about. Here in the USA there'd be a corporate sponsor who collected membership dues, and then expected the collective to pay the rent and utilities, while videoing youtubes to sell online, with their products front and center.

Don’t harsh my mellow with reality dude.......

• Like 1

In OZ it's "I gotta mate that knows a bloke that can/does.....(insert required skill or logistics).....

Cheers,

Jim B)

6 hours ago, Happy said:

Men’s Shed?

I have heard they are taking on larger projects for $$$$ but that may be the exception rather than the rule.

10 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Or, "Its ok, I know the owner"

-tip of the cap to SNL

I know one of those guys.  The thing is, he has helped me so many times that if he ever needs help with anything I have to help him.   He even showed up one day unsolicited and unannounced to help me do drywall in my basement renovation.  He'd just heard I was working on it from someone else.

So, that is how you become one of those guys.  Help everyone else out, and then whenever you need something, you just go collect on the debt.

My wife's son isn't quite that guy, but he is the local fixer.  He must know a few dozen 'That guys' at least.  If I need anything, and I mean anything I call him and explain and he says, OK, I'll call you back.  Next thing I know he calls me back, and tells me where to go, mention his name and tell them what I want.  And it happens.  Every time.  I could walk into the Polish version of a biker bar, have everybody stare at me with suspicion. I could just tell them that I'm married to Marcin's mother and I probably wouldn't have to buy a drink there the rest of the night and I'd have 17 new badass friends watching my back for the rest of my life.  He knows everybody in town including all of the cops.  When I wanted a used car, I told him what I needed, and how much I wanted to pay. A week later I had my car and it wasn't at all expensive, around $3,000.  Ten years later, I'm still driving it and I've only had to make a few minor repairs to it.  The guy can open more doors than an expert lockpicker.  He could probably get me floor seats for a Knicks or Lakers game or 50 yard line seats at the Superbowl and he's never been in the US!  He probably knows where the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant are, but nobody's ever asked him to get them yet.  He likes my Italian cooking and I often make extra and tell my wife to call her son to see if he wants a bowl of pasta, or whatever to to take home.  It's good to stay in his good graces.  He usually appears at our door shortly after the call.  The only drawback is he occasionally borrows a tool from me and doesn't return it, but he lives about 100 yards from us, so I just go over and ask if I can 'borrow' my tool.  I can always buy another hammer or ax if I have to.  It's a small price to pay really.  A resource like that is a rare find indeed.

• Like 1

Has anyone made mention of the topping lift, or anything else remotely associated with the guy? 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Windward said:

Has anyone made mention of the topping lift, or anything else remotely associated with the guy? 

I thought the sheets were more akin to the guy, than the topper???

43 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I thought the sheets were more akin to the guy, than the topper???

I was going for a clever word association with the "guy" and getting labor done... sort of like lifting.

May have been a stretch I admit.

Association of you having a "guy" and sheets went down a path I'm not familiar with.  Ha ha.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1