Too many nuts, or too many guns?

Wisconsin Shuts Down Hunt After 216 Wolves Are Killed In 3 Days

02/26/2021 09:28 pm ET 

Hunters blew past a cap of 119 wolves after the Trump administration ditched protections for the animals just last month. 

By Mary Papenfuss 

Wisconsin officials shut down a planned weeklong wolf hunt in just three days after 216 of the animals were killed — 82% more than the maximum that had been set by the state. 

“This season trampled over tribes’ treaty rights, the Wisconsin public, and professional wildlife stewardship,” a spokesperson for the Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission told The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. 

“It will go down as a stark example of mismanagement, and the problems that can be expected when the state Legislature and the courts embrace special interest groups over the public as a whole.” 

Megan Nicholson, director of the Wisconsin chapter of the Humane Society of the United States, called the killing spree a “deeply sad and shameful week for Wisconsin.” 

more 
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wisconsin-wolf-hunt-216-endangered-species_n_60398372c5b601179ebd8716

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boothy is positively lucid compared to Drunk in Seattle.

Pardon my interjection, but I think all of us outside of the Americas are wondering  why the fuck Americans need guns when most of them seem to be shooting themselves in the foot, both literally and f

Your dog and mine, as well as most of the others here,  , live a lifestyle of Privelege, pampered like Royalty. , hand fed  treats by you & me , trips to fun places to chase wabbits

Posted Images

The Wisconsin DNR reports as of 3:25 p.m. Thursday, 216 wolves have been harvested since the first day of the state’s wolf hunt. That’s 97 more wolves than the limit for non-tribal hunters. Zones 1,3,4 closed at 3 p.m. Wednesday. Zones 2,5,6 closed at 10 a.m. Wednesday morning. The hunt began Monday morning.
Wolf hunt status Feb. 25, 2021

The total harvest quota for the February 2021 season was set at 200 wolves. Fifty-percent of the harvest quota within the ceded territories has been reserved in response to a declaration by the Ojibwe bands. The resulting harvestable quota for state hunters and trappers is 119 wolves. The Associated Press reports hunters exceeded state targets during the 2012, 2013 and 2014 wolf seasons.

57 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:
1 hour ago, basketcase said:

hell..... why not both?

This

WTF do gunz have to do with it???  It's a result of a poor management and oversight as well as too many stupid people with no self-restraint who don't care about the environment or nature. 

JFC!  If the eskimos and inuits kill too many baby seals in a season - is that a "too many spears or clubs" problem????  When the settlers & hunters in the 1800s slaughtered all the buffalos - was that a "too many gunz" problem too?  Or a result of selfish fucked up people who didn't care about preserving natural resources?  Is the global shark decimation that is happening right now a "too many fishing poles and nets" problem???  

Morains like you, BL and folson give give libbyrul hand wringers a bad name.  You and your elk are why we can't have nice things.  smh

• Like 1

I have no idea how the quotas were formed, how well thought out they were or how easy-hard wolves are to hunt.

Consider that the kill could not have been that high if the wolf population was low.

13 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I have no idea how the quotas were formed, how well thought out they were or how easy-hard wolves are to hunt.

Consider that the kill could not have been that high if the wolf population was low.

If the objective of the hunt was to stabilize the wolf population, they pretty much blew it.

2 hours ago, badlatitude said:
The Wisconsin DNR reports as of 3:25 p.m. Thursday, 216 wolves have been harvested since the first day of the state’s wolf hunt. That’s 97 more wolves than the limit for non-tribal hunters. Zones 1,3,4 closed at 3 p.m. Wednesday. Zones 2,5,6 closed at 10 a.m. Wednesday morning. The hunt began Monday morning.
Wolf hunt status Feb. 25, 2021

The total harvest quota for the February 2021 season was set at 200 wolves. Fifty-percent of the harvest quota within the ceded territories has been reserved in response to a declaration by the Ojibwe bands. The resulting harvestable quota for state hunters and trappers is 119 wolves. The Associated Press reports hunters exceeded state targets during the 2012, 2013 and 2014 wolf seasons.

Why is it called a harvest? You harvest something you planted like wheat or apples. Call this what it is, a 'kill'.

6 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Why is it called a harvest? You harvest something you planted like wheat or apples. Call this what it is, a 'kill'.

Give enough fruitcakes a chance to kill wolves, why not just call it an extinction?

15 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

If the objective of the hunt was to stabilize the wolf population, they pretty much blew it.

Agreed.  Further proving that "moar gunz" had nothing to do with it.  

Good topic - stoopid thread title.  Just saying.

25 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Wolves lost protection under Trump, hunter's want their trophies before Biden clamps down. 20,000 hunters tried to get permits, 4,000 got permits for 200 wolves. Too many guns.

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Wolves lost protection under Trump, hunter's want their trophies before Biden clamps down. 20,000 hunters tried to get permits, 4,000 got permits for 200 wolves. Too many guns.

Sounds more like too many permits to me.  

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

That's just stupid. It's like saying that the last Passenger pigeon couldn't be the last one, because it was there.

Why would anyone, other than a sheep farmer too cheap to buy donkeys, want to shoot a wolf?

They aren't good to eat, and who wants to wear a wolf skin coat these days?

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

That's just stupid. It's like saying that the last Passenger pigeon couldn't be the last one, because it was there.

Why would anyone, other than a sheep farmer too cheap to buy donkeys, want to shoot a wolf?

Wolves > 99.999999969% of humans.  Sharks too.  Just saying. 

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

WTF do gunz have to do with it???  It's a result of a poor management and oversight as well as too many stupid people with no self-restraint who don't care about the environment or nature. 

JFC!  If the eskimos and inuits kill too many baby seals in a season - is that a "too many spears or clubs" problem????  When the settlers & hunters in the 1800s slaughtered all the buffalos - was that a "too many gunz" problem too?  Or a result of selfish fucked up people who didn't care about preserving natural resources?  Is the global shark decimation that is happening right now a "too many fishing poles and nets" problem???  

Morains like you, BL and folson give give libbyrul hand wringers a bad name.  You and your elk are why we can't have nice things.  smh

I strongly suspect that the nature of people has not changed much.

However, the density of people has changed quite a lot.

How much hand-wringing is involved in wishing the problem were something else, and bitching loudly about that wished-for something-else, while siding with the faction that shut down all the loony houses to save tax money, putting loonies on the street (and also making sure that mental health care was not possible for any but the wealthy), and simultaneously screeching that MORE guns is the answer?

Is it too late to complain that my taxes never went down, either?

BTW I have a fair number of nice things, thanks. And I would normally be willing to share, some, but not with your elk.

- DSK

Triggered you are.

Having spent my formative years in northern Mn and Wisconsin, I remember the battles against reintroduction. Pretty nasty, there’s some hate for the wolves. I recall the thought they would kill all the deer. Turned out to not be true, more deer than ever once you cut down the boreal forest. It’s just blood lust. 

?

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:
3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

?

Not sure what your question is.  I would take more wolves and sharks over the vast majority of the people who walk this plant.  At least they don't rape the planet and kill for no good reason.  Humans are fairly unique in that regard.

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

My point, which did not condone or condemn  the wolf cull, went right over your head. Your ignorance, lack of comprehension and preconceived notions are on full display.

1 minute ago, Autonomous said:

My point, which did not condone or condemn  the wolf cull, went right over your head. Your ignorance, lack of comprehension and preconceived notions are on full display.

Bullshit.

13 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Not sure what your question is.  I would take more wolves and sharks over the vast majority of the people who walk this plant.  At least they don't rape the planet and kill for no good reason.  Humans are fairly unique in that regard.

OK so reconcile ^this^ statement with your apparent belief that every human who wants a gun should have at least one.

- DSK

7 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

That's OK, lefty's on a roll today.......

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

OK so reconcile ^this^ statement with your apparent belief that every human who wants a gun should have at least one.

- DSK

You must be confusing me with someone else.  Because that is most CERTAINLY NOT my belief.  

4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Yeah, too many permits. They probably figured the permits would maybe bag one in four, like elk maybe?  But I can see why they misifigured, it's hard to know how these will go, since there are so few wolf hunts these day. 

We just had the wolf reintroduction on our ballot and it passed, which it wild, but it had the support of a lot of ranchers. Back when I was a kid, ranchers took out the wolves (and lions) early and often. But now the bigger threat isn't to losing a few head, as much as losing vast chunks of the herd if CWD jumps from the deer into the herds, and wolves are seen as the best way to limit the range of coyotes, which can make the CWD problem worse, while culling the animals sickened by the CWD before they can spread it.

The idea of a wolf reintroduction passing in Colorado back in the 1980s would have been unfathomable. But thing change, now wolves are being sighted in Colorado and the ranchers aren't in fact losing their minds. Supposedly folks are even seeing grizzlies in San Isabel. Crazy times.

1 minute ago, Burning Man said:

Here Mikey, I'll loan you a few "S's".......  You seem to be short.

No idea what that has to do with these wolves, but I don't need any of them, I'm switching over to pneumatic wherever possible ... so much easier. I might even sell the Snap-ons and use that dough for a new dirt bike.

22 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

That's OK, lefty's on a roll today.......

It's more of a biscuit than a roll, but yeah...

You must be confusing me with someone else.  Because that is most CERTAINLY NOT my belief.  

I'm confusing you with the guy who was very indignant about your (and crazy neighbors who shot each other) absolute right to own a gun. And a guy who was making fun of Beto. Nyet?

If you think that ownership of firearms should be more restricted than it currently is in the USA, then I'm glad to hear it.

- DSK

20 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

When did you become so hateful?

Was it about the time you lost your ability to reason?

I am not the least bit hateful. I don't see any reason to kill wolves unless they are killing your flock of sheep (or whatever). They're beautiful animals that should be left alone, like Bears, Moose, Elephants, Manatee, Whales, and a bunch of other animals that people kill just because they can.

I have no problem with people killing something that they are going to eat. I kill fish, and eat them. If I catch a fish I don't want to eat, I set it free. That's kind of hard to do with a 30.06 or .223 rifle. (OOPS! I thought that was a White tail buck! Turns out it was a wolf! I'll just pull that bullet out of his heart, and set him back in the woods!)

2 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I am not the least bit hateful. I don't see any reason to kill wolves unless they are killing your flock of sheep (or whatever). They're beautiful animals that should be left alone, like Bears, Moose, Elephants, Manatee, Whales, and a bunch of other animals that people kill just because they can.

I have no problem with people killing something that they are going to eat. I kill fish, and eat them. If I catch a fish I don't want to eat, I set it free. That's kind of hard to do with a 30.06 or .223 rifle. (OOPS! I thought that was a White tail buck! Turns out it was a wolf! I'll just pull that bullet out of his heart, and set him back in the woods!)

Bullshit. I posed something rational to consider which you branded as stupid. Your inability to have a civilized conversation and discuss ideas reflects badly on you.

Plant?  Also there apparently a photo (that you posted) of you posing next to a dead coyote that you murdered (with an assault weapon)in the dessert.  What good reason did you have for that?

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

No idea what that has to do with these wolves, but I don't need any of them, I'm switching over to pneumatic wherever possible ... so much easier. I might even sell the Snap-ons and use that dough for a new dirt bike.

Here you go.  Three S for free:

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Yeah, too many permits. They probably figured the permits would maybe bag one in four, like elk maybe?  But I can see why they misifigured, it's hard to know how these will go, since there are so few wolf hunts these dayS

We just had the wolf reintroduction on our ballot and it passed, which itS wild, but it had the support of a lot of ranchers. Back when I was a kid, ranchers took out the wolves (and lions) early and often. But now the bigger threat isn't to losing a few head, as much as losing vast chunks of the herd if CWD jumps from the deer into the herds, and wolves are seen as the best way to limit the range of coyotes, which can make the CWD problem worse, while culling the animals sickened by the CWD before they can spread it.

The idea of a wolf reintroduction passing in Colorado back in the 1980s would have been unfathomable. But thingS change, now wolves are being sighted in Colorado and the ranchers aren't in fact losing their minds. Supposedly folks are even seeing grizzlies in San Isabel. Crazy times.

You're welcome.

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'm confusing you with the guy who was very indignant about your (and crazy neighbors who shot each other) absolute right to own a gun. And a guy who was making fun of Beto. Nyet?

If you think that ownership of firearms should be more restricted than it currently is in the USA, then I'm glad to hear it.

- DSK

Again as usual, you're making shit up, projecting your own biases and/or outright lying again.  Feel free to post any quote - ANY - where I have said that anyone has an absolute right to own a gun.  There's even a Hundy in it for you if you can find any words to that effect -  if you in turn agree to send me a hundy if you can't.  Should be easy right.  $100 for a couple of seconds to type a word or phrase into the search engine - what's not to love?

And Feel free to use a lifeline and call a friend.  Even the rest of your elk here will tell you that I've literally (for years here) routinely have called for more common sense gun control lile Universal BGC, Red flag laws, tougher penalties for gun crimes, tougher enforcement of existing gun laws, not letting felons get their hands on gunz, etc etc etc.  Doesn't sound like someone who advocates for "every human being who wants a gun should have one", now does it?

You would honestly think someone who gets bitch slapped he all the time would learn their lesson.  I'm beginning to think you like it.  

51vFwioxMpL._AC_.jpg

2 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Bullshit. I posed something rational to consider which you branded as stupid. Your inability to have a civilized conversation and discuss ideas reflects badly on you.

Not really. Try having a real conversation with me, instead of spouting bullshit, and we might get along OK.

If the wolf population was 10, and hunters killed 9, would you say that the wolf population was so high that it needed to be culled?

The fact that hunters killed more than the state allowed to be killed doesn't mean that there were that many more wolves. It just means that hunters killed more than was supposed to be allowed. Same thing happened in Florida a couple of years ago with the bear hunt.

I've never seen a bear in Florida, but somehow about 100 more bears were killed than the state allowed. Why? Because voluntary reporting by cell phone doesn't work very well in fucking redneck country.

Why would anyone in Florida want to kill a bear? These are the same people that are advocating a "limited" Florida panther hunt.... The Florida panther is almost extinct, but these assholes want to hunt them anyway. "They attack our dogs and are a threat to our children". I've seen one..... Dead on the side of the road, out in the middle of nowhere.

Watching coyotes come through an area where wolves just were an hour or so before is actually pretty funny. The coyotes absolutely freak out, and run around each other looking over their shoulders, running into trees and basically pissing their pants in a panic. Big coyotes are pretty big, but a Grey wolf is..... MUCH, MUCH bigger.

The coyotes down here in Florida are a little bigger than a big fox, maybe 30-35 Lbs., but up north they come in around 80-90 Lbs. if they're well fed on house cats, squirrels, and roadkill deer.

3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Something can't be 'fairly unique'. It's either unique or it isn't.

And anyway that statement is bullshit. Cats, foxes, orcas and leopard seals kill things for the pleasure of doing so, or at least do so for reasons other than hunger. So do domestic dogs now I think about it - lots have been shot for chasing sheep around the place in Australia.

FKT

• Like 1

this 'harvest' was simply wrong and could be called mass murder. fuck the nasty redneck trash who took the opportunity.

'philosophical' question- is the anthropocene Hell on Earth for virtually all non-human species?

4 hours ago, 3to1 said:

this 'harvest' was simply wrong and could be called mass murder. fuck the nasty redneck trash who took the opportunity.

'philosophical' question- is the anthropocene Hell on Earth for virtually all non-human species?

Might be for wolves, dunno, looks likely though.

Other species, need to look at it on a case by case basis. There have been a number of culls here because species have outstripped their food resources and the choices have been to cull or let a mass starvation event take place. Problem with the latter is, even if you think this is philosophically superior to a human actually killing something, it tends to do a lot more damage to the environment and leads to vegetation destruction, erosion, loss of fertility et al. A managed cull is better IMO.

Of course a lot of this is due to either introducing species to places they never used to be, removing top predators, or both. I thought one of the points of encouraging the expansion of wolves was to provide an extra brake on the deer population.

Funnily enough we are getting to the point where introduced deer are becoming an ecological pest rather than a curiosity. Perhaps we could introduce a few wolf packs. That should go well.

FKT

10 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Might be for wolves, dunno, looks likely though.

Other species, need to look at it on a case by case basis. There have been a number of culls here because species have outstripped their food resources and the choices have been to cull or let a mass starvation event take place. Problem with the latter is, even if you think this is philosophically superior to a human actually killing something, it tends to do a lot more damage to the environment and leads to vegetation destruction, erosion, loss of fertility et al. A managed cull is better IMO.

Of course a lot of this is due to either introducing species to places they never used to be, removing top predators, or both. I thought one of the points of encouraging the expansion of wolves was to provide an extra brake on the deer population.

Funnily enough we are getting to the point where introduced deer are becoming an ecological pest rather than a curiosity. Perhaps we could introduce a few wolf packs. That should go well.

FKT

Funny thing about wolves, they don’t seem to impact core deer population all that much, cause after they cut down the pine forests, the new scrub forest has much more food for the deer. Interesting video on the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone. Stopped the elk overgrazing and allowed the forest to regrow.

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Funny thing about wolves, they don’t seem to impact core deer population all that much, cause after they cut down the pine forests, the new scrub forest has much more food for the deer. Interesting video on the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone. Stopped the elk overgrazing and allowed the forest to regrow.

It is an interesting area. My first degree was in population ecology. All sorts of things limiting populations and top predators weren't as common as once thought. They do serve to remove the weaker animals and the older ones, though.

Habitat change is a biggie. Like your deer, here we have had a massive explosion in wallaby numbers because of clearing forests, opening up forests and providing more water via small dams. On my small acreage I regularly have maybe 16 wallabies and 8 bigger grey kangaroos every evening. Go back 15 years and I never saw a grey kangaroo here at all. Population pressure elsewhere has caused some to move and breed - I was watching a joey that looked *way* too big climb back in mum's pouch the other night.

Sooner or later I may have to start culling them to limit their population to the available grass but as I don't want to, I'm not planning on it any time soon.

FKT

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Sooner or later I may have to start culling them to limit their population to the available grass but as I don't want to, I'm not planning on it any time soon.

FKT

Cull them with what???  Since you can't easily get gunz to shoot them, I presume you're going to throw spears at them.  Right?  Can you even get within spear distance of a roo?

9 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Cull them with what???  Since you can't easily get gunz to shoot them, I presume you're going to throw spears at them.  Right?  Can you even get within spear distance of a roo?

If you were a real hunter and not a Bambi/coyote  blaster, yes. 

17 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

If you were a real hunter and not a Bambi/coyote  blaster, yes. 

Says the guy who's only experience "hunting" has been swiping right on Grinder.

with the very rare exception, human interference in nature is just that and just tends to cock things up, especially in the long term. after all, the only genuine dysfunction in any natural system today has a human caused root.

the very best thing us monkeez can do is adopt an attitude of GENUINE respect for the natural world and give it breathing room, trying to clean up our fkg messes where possible, excluded.

what a fkg abomination the state of things is. we're an odd species.

• Like 1

The new bar tender at the local bar, which I stopped in at this afternoon for a beer, because I hadn't been there in nearly a year..... Anyway, the new bartender, who replaced the one who died of Covid 19 back in August, and was wearing Daisy Dukes, a cut off halter top, and no mask.... Actually, I was the only one in the place with a mask.... Probably 40 fat ass cigarette smoking rednecks.... Anyway the bartender's name, (She's the younger sister of a previous bartender who got knocked up with twins by one of who knows how many guys a couple of years ago)... Anyway, This new bartender's name is "Bambi"....

She looked more like a "Thumper" to me. Maybe 15 years ago she was a "Bambi"... But makeup can only hide so much. her face looked like a road map of Tennessee, Interstates, State hiways, County roads and all..... even through the foundation and eye liner.

46 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

A 22LR bolt action rifle. Seeing as I actually know how to shoot and where to shoot, I don't 'need' anything else. LEt alone a black rifle with a magazine bigger than 5 rounds, beloved only by wannabees like you.

I don't have to get a gun, I've owned rifles continuously for the last 50 years. I just have to unlock the gun safe.

And, as a matter of fact, I can easily get within spear distance of my kangaroos, seeing as they feed outside my living room window every night. But a 22LR to the head is a lot easier.

unless those roos have gone awol and are trying to eat your face off, your gun has no place in their vicinity.

it's called live and let live.

38 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Says the guy who's only experience "hunting" has been swiping right on Grinder.

You are sooooo fucking gay.  It’s 2021 come out of the closet....

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

A 22LR bolt action rifle. Seeing as I actually know how to shoot and where to shoot, I don't 'need' anything else. LEt alone a black rifle with a magazine bigger than 5 rounds, beloved only by wannabees like you.

I don't have to get a gun, I've owned rifles continuously for the last 50 years. I just have to unlock the gun safe.

And, as a matter of fact, I can easily get within spear distance of my kangaroos, seeing as they feed outside my living room window every night. But a 22LR to the head is a lot easier.

A Wrist Rocket and a big can of marbles.

Less trouble than a silencer. Although I have kind of hankered for one of those high-powered air guns, you could probably make one. Or a crossbow, that's the ticket. Richard The Lionheart those fuckers!

- DSK

2 hours ago, 3to1 said:

unless those roos have gone awol and are trying to eat your face off, your gun has no place in their vicinity.

it's called live and let live.

Actually it's called live and let starve, but don't let that minor detail worry you. I'm sure you're one of those types who'd rather see the grass eaten down to bare dirt and weakened animals dying of starvation than actually getting your hands dirty and culling them to a level the resources could sustain.

Until things get close to that point the wildlife is quite safe from me.

FKT

3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Actually it's called live and let starve, but don't let that minor detail worry you. I'm sure you're one of those types who'd rather see the grass eaten down to bare dirt and weakened animals dying of starvation than actually getting your hands dirty and culling them to a level the resources could sustain.

Until things get close to that point the wildlife is quite safe from me.

FKT

don't be a condescending cunt.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

A Wrist Rocket and a big can of marbles.

Less trouble than a silencer. Although I have kind of hankered for one of those high-powered air guns, you could probably make one. Or a crossbow, that's the ticket. Richard The Lionheart those fuckers!

- DSK

Nope, if I'm going to kill something, I'm going to kill it, not play with it.

You show me that you can put a marble into a 20mm diameter hole at 25m every shot and said marble has the same kinetic energy as a 22LR, I'll tell you to go for it. But not me.

FKT

Just now, 3to1 said:

don't be a condescending cunt.

I'll do my best the day you stop being a condescending fuckwit, ok?

We agree on humans fucking with the ecology, but obviously not on some of the things that should be done about it.

FKT

2 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'll do my best the day you stop being a condescending fuckwit, ok?

We agree on humans fucking with the ecology, but obviously not on some of the things that should be done about it.

FKT

motherfucker, I'm not the one making presumptions.

other than that, we good.

7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nope, if I'm going to kill something, I'm going to kill it, not play with it.

You show me that you can put a marble into a 20mm diameter hole at 25m every shot and said marble has the same kinetic energy as a 22LR, I'll tell you to go for it. But not me.

FKT

I'm guessing you never had a wrist rocket, or never practiced with it. They can have about twice the energy of a 22LR. To become an accurate shot does take a lot of practice, no scope mount.

Google tells me that they are illegal now, here

- DSK

On 2/27/2021 at 2:39 PM, Burning Man said:

The state fucked this up, royally.  It WAS NOT THE HUNTERS that did this guys.  You issue exactly the number of permits that you want kills.  Period.  The 24 hour thing actually makes sense, because there's no way to contact hunters in the field to tell them to stop.  This was an issue of the DNR being idiots.  Tags should be issued and each kill should be tagged and returned for counting.  No different than deer or crocs.

The swift pace of the wolf kills, mostly by hunters using trailing hounds, took the DNR by surprise. And the overage was made worse by a state statute that requires 24-hour, rather than immediate, notice of the season closure, as well as a decision by the Natural Resources Board to issue twice as many as the normal number of permits.

25 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'm guessing you never had a wrist rocket, or never practiced with it. They can have about twice the energy of a 22LR. To become an accurate shot does take a lot of practice, no scope mount.

Google tells me that they are illegal now, here

- DSK

I bought this one almost 40 years ago and am still pretty good with it. There was a gator in the creek not long ago that had figured out that fishermen are a source of fish. I used it to gently remind the gator that humans are dangerous and should be avoided. I'm pretty sure that was not legal but it did work and the gator was unharmed. Just used a rock off the ground and it's impossible to find one that flies straight, so actually scoring a hit on the top of its head was some skill mixed with a lot of luck.

assault-slingshot.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

I bought this one almost 40 years ago and am still pretty good with it. There was a gator in the creek not long ago that had figured out that fishermen are a source of fish. I used it to gently remind the gator that humans are dangerous and should be avoided. I'm pretty sure that was not legal but it did work and the gator was unharmed. Just used a rock off the ground and it's impossible to find one that flies straight, so actually scoring a hit on the top of its head was some skill mixed with a lot of luck.

assault-slingshot.jpg

A paintball gun works as an excellent reminder to pests to 'stay away' without actually hurting them.  I've used one on a couple of feral dogs in my neighborhood.  And mine has a scope =)

3 minutes ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

assault-slingshot.jpg

A folder... mine was all one piece. You can get replacement bands or just use surgical tube

One nice thing about it is that you don't have to pull it back for full power. I used to have a big jar full of glass marbles that I used for ammo. Rocks are OK for short range. Rusty 1/2" nuts work great, too. And if you want, paintball ammo works

1 minute ago, Grrr... said:

A paintball gun works as an excellent reminder to pests to 'stay away' without actually hurting them.  I've used one on a couple of feral dogs in my neighborhood.  And mine has a scope =)

The problem with that is: it looks like a gun. Not an issue for Tom, but you could easily end up in trouble or perhaps dead, in many neighborhoods. A wrist rocket is a deadly weapon that doesn't look like anything (unless the observer knows exactly what it is). I guess I answered my own question about why they're illegal now.

- DSK

We had a tree when I was a kid that produced perfect ammo in large quantities. I don't know what it was, but the green berries were very hard and flew straight. Ever since then, I've had a problem using something that I actually paid for as slingshot ammo. So it's rocks for me.

The slingshot can ride around in the golf cart and I don't care if it gets some scratches or gets rained on, a big advantage over a gun.

7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

A folder... mine was all one piece. You can get replacement bands or just use surgical tube

One nice thing about it is that you don't have to pull it back for full power. I used to have a big jar full of glass marbles that I used for ammo. Rocks are OK for short range. Rusty 1/2" nuts work great, too. And if you want, paintball ammo works

The problem with that is: it looks like a gun. Not an issue for Tom, but you could easily end up in trouble or perhaps dead, in many neighborhoods. A wrist rocket is a deadly weapon that doesn't look like anything (unless the observer knows exactly what it is). I guess I answered my own question about why they're illegal now.

- DSK

Many of them do - mine certainly does not.  But then, mine was for competitive paintball.  It wasn't a wanna-be gun for some dude who wears black tactical vests and acts like paintball is training for an uprising.

This:

Paintball Gear, Paintball Equipment & Paintball Supplies - Valken Paintball  - Valken Sports

Not this:

image.jpeg.5cf591f0c8bbac20d22b5de17e75dc62.jpeg 

I also don't have to step out of my house.

• Like 1

Twelve shootings in twelve hours in Atlanta.  We'd be better off with wolves.  The gun industry will destroy the tourism industry and the job growth unless it is brought to heel.  In other news, Microsoft is making a big investment here.  I'm sure engineers will flock to jobs where the OK Corral looks like Paradise Valley.

7 minutes ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

We had a tree when I was a kid that produced perfect ammo in large quantities. I don't know what it was, but the green berries were very hard and flew straight. Ever since then, I've had a problem using something that I actually paid for as slingshot ammo. So it's rocks for me.

The slingshot can ride around in the golf cart and I don't care if it gets some scratches or gets rained on, a big advantage over a gun.

I got paid to take 1/2" nuts off of old machinery, so it was even better than free. Left evidence at the scene though. The nice thing ablt marbles is that they hit harder than you'd believe, and shatter. Hitting cement at 30~40 yards, a glass marble will blast out a divot big enough to hide the marble in (if the marble still existed). One incident I'd forgotten until just now, I was shooting at squirrels near a newly-constructed big office building back around 1970, with a glossy marble face... I missed a squirrel and cracked the facing of the building. Left quickly. I still feel bad about that, never would have happened with a 22 because I would never have been using a firearm in that spot in the first place (advantage: guns). I never shot at passing cars the way some of my peers did, though.

No wonder the fucking things are illegal now

- DSK

What's the most dangerous part on any gun?

The nut that holds the trigger.

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I got paid to take 1/2" nuts off of old machinery, so it was even better than free. Left evidence at the scene though. The nice thing ablt marbles is that they hit harder than you'd believe, and shatter. Hitting cement at 30~40 yards, a glass marble will blast out a divot big enough to hide the marble in (if the marble still existed). One incident I'd forgotten until just now, I was shooting at squirrels near a newly-constructed big office building back around 1970, with a glossy marble face... I missed a squirrel and cracked the facing of the building. Left quickly. I still feel bad about that, never would have happened with a 22 because I would never have been using a firearm in that spot in the first place (advantage: guns). I never shot at passing cars the way some of my peers did, though.

No wonder the fucking things are illegal now

- DSK

Interesting, they are legal here. I have a slingshot that I use to shoot small stones at deer. I was looking at getting into a wrist rocket type for a little more authority.

622139.jpg?versionId=Q0XixsoPhyn18QPH8ZU

$20 at Canadian Tire. They also sell steel shot for them.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Interesting, they are legal here. I have a slingshot that I use to shoot small stones at deer. I was looking at getting into a wrist rocket type for a little more authority.

622139.jpg?versionId=Q0XixsoPhyn18QPH8ZU

$20 at Canadian Tire. They also sell steel shot for them.

Yeah but you live in a country where people act like they have some goddam common sense, at least some of the time.

I did not ask google for details about where/when they're illegal, it might have been a sales gimmick but I don't think so. It was in that annoying new "Your Questions" format that Google shows you before you've finished typing your question.

- DSK

We had 'em as kids. oak acorns were perfect sized but flew like a knuckle ballers wet dream. 

Since I grew up near iron mines, there was an endless supply of taconite "pellets" free for the taking on the railroad tracks. basically it was a 3/8" or so somewhat round somewhat refined iron pellet. Flew pretty straight, packed a punch.

On 2/27/2021 at 2:39 PM, Burning Man said:

It seems it was really 4,000 permits for 119 wolves. I would think a ratio of 5 or 10 to 1 is more appropriate, they issued almost 40 to 1. That is a lot of hunters out there looking to fill a tiny number of tags. The game management agency picked up fees for all the hunters though, so that might be part of the motivation. 

13 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

I know from experience that they're close to useless for getting rid of coyotes. Once the 'yotes get hit once, they learn to stand out of range. On the other hand, a snowball launcher loaded with a handfull of gravel works well on the 'yotes in the suburban environment when deadly force is illegal on wildlife, the rain of gravel seems to confuse them enough to stay out of sight.

arctic-force-blaster-a-60-foot-snowball-

Anyway, as for too many guns or too many nuts ...

On 2/28/2021 at 5:51 PM, Mrleft8 said:

The new bar tender at the local bar, which I stopped in at this afternoon for a beer, because I hadn't been there in nearly a year..... Anyway, the new bartender, who replaced the one who died of Covid 19 back in August, and was wearing Daisy Dukes, a cut off halter top, and no mask.... Actually, I was the only one in the place with a mask.... Probably 40 fat ass cigarette smoking rednecks.... Anyway the bartender's name, (She's the younger sister of a previous bartender who got knocked up with twins by one of who knows how many guys a couple of years ago)... Anyway, This new bartender's name is "Bambi"....

She looked more like a "Thumper" to me. Maybe 15 years ago she was a "Bambi"... But makeup can only hide so much. her face looked like a road map of Tennessee, Interstates, State hiways, County roads and all..... even through the foundation and eye liner.

Interesting story...... how did you drink your beer with a mask on?

21 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I did not ask google for details about where/when they're illegal, it might have been a sales gimmick but I don't think so. It was in that annoying new "Your Questions" format that Google shows you before you've finished typing your question.

I looked a bit further and you can own a slingshot in your state. You can't have it in a state park nor use it in some cities. You can probably shoot a rat with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 4:21 PM, Mrleft8 said:

I don't see any reason to kill wolves unless they are killing your flock of sheep (or whatever).

The FIRST time I have seen this from anyone other than "hard starboard" types

Respect for that.

Wolves are not good neighbors, who stay in the forest and only eat Bambi.

Livestock predation has been increasing rapidy as wolf pops grows.

Wisconsin farm family talks about living a wolf-attack nightmare | AGDAILY

1 hour ago, Mike in Seattle said:

The FIRST time I have seen this from anyone other than "hard starboard" types

Respect for that.

Wolves are not good neighbors, who stay in the forest and only eat Bambi.

Livestock predation has been increasing rapidy as wolf pops grows.

Wisconsin farm family talks about living a wolf-attack nightmare | AGDAILY

I would have no issue with Wolves culling idiot people.  We already have too many of them.  Idiot people that is.

• Like 1

It is NOT the Shepherds, Cattlemen, and the other rural people who are the  Idiots.

They are the ones whose kids suffer most when the wolves come.

Also, Jeff, the wolves are killing domestic dogs in increasing rates

Maybe we should "Restore"  Seattle.

5 minutes ago, Mike in Seattle said:

It is NOT the Shepherds, Cattlemen, and the other rural people who are the  Idiots.

They are the ones whose kids suffer most when the wolves come.

Also, Jeff, the wolves are killing domestic dogs in increasing rates

Maybe we should "Restore"  Seattle.

Well obviously I was joking.  Well sorta, maybe.  A little.  Ok not really.  But not ranchers and cattlemen of course.  

And as long as it's the little yappy constantly barking domestic dogs that fit in a handbag size we're talking about - wolves need snacks and squeaky toys too.  

#WolvesLivesMatter

On 3/14/2021 at 5:12 PM, Mike in Seattle said:

Shhhhh!  :ph34r: Bait for the livetraps

#RestoreSeattle

Oooh, I like it.  Might be good bait for coyotes too.  

BTW - what are you #restoring seattle to?  Are you giving it back to the original Americans?