1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I thought Vegemite was the worst spread in the known world?

It is.

Marmite is much, much better. Great on toast, with or without peanut butter.

Great with cheese, and a crumpet with marmite and a poached egg on, is food of the gods.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Is there a connection between the Marmite in the jar and the finish on the thwart? 

image.png.12324d83cda694d74d9c5112e1f35d47.png

as my moth used to say....we are not at home to Mr Picky today

I have a philosophy about varnish

better the bad coat you have put on today than the good one  you planned on applying tommorrow

it is february - outdoor  varnishing is a catchy affair.

.....lucky it looks that good

D

• Like 6
4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

it was discounted at Lidl......

actually though

that on dark Ryvita with a slice of Gouda on top is pretty good

D

For some reason this reminds me of an old movie line about

"rowing out into the middle of the lake with a bottle of tequila, my  saxophone and some Bach"

... a Gouda-Marmite Ryvita would fit right in.

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I thought Vegemite was the worst spread in the known world?

What else are you going to do with the gunk left over in the bottom of the beer keg?

I don't care how much peanut butter you add in, you can't make shit spread taste any better.

I suppose the bits of peanut add a certain amount of ‘non slip’ to the finish.

I saw this in Tesco... and thought ... Nah ! , now I love Marmite and I love crunchy SunPat peanut butter..... ... I may try making my own later... or I might not.... yeah....probably not.

regarding the carpentry in the front of the dinghy..... right up there with your previous video Dylan,  excellent work.

13 minutes ago, Applescruffs said:

I suppose the bits of peanut add a certain amount of ‘non slip’ to the finish.

I saw this in Tesco... and thought ... Nah ! , now I love Marmite and I love crunchy SunPat peanut butter..... ... I may try making my own later... or I might not.... yeah....probably not.

regarding the carpentry in the front of the dinghy..... right up there with your previous video Dylan,  excellent work.

nice to see credit where credit is due

I will make a short film of the bits of wood being used for their intended purpose.  Self driving screws and epoxy is a diamond combination when it comes to prototypes that end up as "that will do for  the real world"

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

not quite as good as two pot but better than floor varnish

I was talking about the Marmite. It's the same color.

As an experiment and before I rush off to Lidl to buy a pot of the real thing I’ve just made a home brew version using SunPat peanut butter and some Marmite that I have in the cupboard and then I spread it on buttered toast....not sure I’ve got the proportions right but it tasted ok.....

sort of ‘peanut buttery and Marmitey’......... no big surprise there then.

2 minutes ago, Applescruffs said:

As an experiment and before I rush off to Lidl to buy a pot of the real thing I’ve just made a home brew version using SunPat peanut butter and some Marmite that I have in the cupboard and then I spread it on buttered toast....not sure I’ve got the proportions right but it tasted ok.....

sort of ‘peanut buttery and Marmitey’......... no big surprise there then.

the label says 10  per cent marmite

I think it would be better with smooth peanut butter

the slice of gouda really works well with it

D

4 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

I will wait until it comes in an ice cream...

marmite, peanut butter and gouda ice cream with sprinkles of Ryvita on top.

that would be a top seller

I am going to re-mortgage the house to finance the new product

D

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

not quite as good as two pot but better than floor varnish

Troweled on in that fashion, it should last a long time. 

At first I thought I saw a rudder and centerplate up front.  Sounds like I'll find it's use on your website. 

Just now, Kris Cringle said:

Troweled on in that fashion, it should last a long time. 

At first I thought I saw a rudder and centerplate up front.  Sounds like I'll find it's use on your website. 

temperature was about 8 degrees C - did coat on coat

the dinghy is outside and in  use  all year round so will get a bit of an extra dab of varnish come mid summer.

The two bits of wood are a mast step for the optimist rig

D

10 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

temperature was about 8 degrees C - did coat on coat

the dinghy is outside and in  use  all year round so will get a bit of an extra dab of varnish come mid summer.

The two bits of wood are a mast step for the optimist rig

D

I get it now: The J lays in the center bilge wit the yoke locked around the thwart support post. The round fits under the gunwale in the bow, mortise hole takes the J tenon, the notch on the J captures the thwart support post. HOle for mast, voila. Ah, also explains the packing in the middle, it';s a pocket for the butt of the mast. 

What was the old arrangement in the dinghy? Edit: that was the old arrangement. 

Just now, Kris Cringle said:

I get it now: The J lays in the center bilge wit the yoke locked around the thwart support post. The round fits under the gunwale in the bow, mortise hole takes the J tenon, the notch on the J captures the thwart support post. 

What was the old arrangement in the dinghy? 

it was a heavy sheet of ply and three short shrouds.... this way I can just drop the mast into  the slot - and save weight when I pull the dinghy up the steap  hill to the house.

D

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

it was a heavy sheet of ply and three short shrouds.... this way I can just drop the mast into  the slot - and save weight when I pull the dinghy up the steap  hill to the house.

D

I can see that is a well-built dinghy. Who is the builder/designer? Did they make a sailing model? Looks similar to the Fatty Knees dinghy's over here. 

2 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

I can see that is a well-built dinghy. Who is the builder/designer? Did they make a sailing model? Looks similar to the Fatty Knees dinghy's over here. 

it rows, tows and sails really well as it has a long shallow keel. It came from the solent where they race them as wooden dinghies - a local builder took a mold from one.  I am a bit of  a sucker forsimulted clinker.

• Like 1

@dylan winter  Your philosophy about varnish is quite correct...at least if you care about preserving the wood.

The Marmite peanut butter on the other hand is just offensive. This is coming from an American who has embraced Vegemite. I like it on toast, I love it on an egg banjo with cheddar and a tiny bit in reduced salt Ramen (pot noodle?) is great.  I'm drawing a hard line at Marmite peanut butter though. *retch*

I refuse to believe that, however barbaric peanut butter is as a food (I love it, but freely admit it’s barbaric), that the Marmite stuff actually has Marmite in it?!?

Anyway, let’s leave that alone for now (is it really true?!?).  I feel like it’s time to talk about the spreading coefficient.  Can we compare Marmite peanut butter to other types, whether the shitty American Kraft type, the natural, organic Adam’s peanut butter or even what is said to be the ghastly Australian version of peanut butter?  Different spreading coefficients?  Is S always positive for all peanut butters, or what?

EB414785-81AA-42C4-9F75-D46E982DA0EA.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I refuse to believe that, however barbaric peanut butter is as a food (I love it, but freely admit it’s barbaric), that the Marmite stuff actually has Marmite in it?!?

Anyway, let’s leave that alone for now (is it really true?!?).  I feel like it’s time to talk about the spreading coefficient.  Can we compare Marmite peanut butter to other types, whether the shitty American Kraft type, the natural, organic Adam’s peanut butter or even what is said to be the ghastly Australian version of peanut butter?  Different spreading coefficients?  Is S always positive for all peanut butters, or what?

EB414785-81AA-42C4-9F75-D46E982DA0EA.jpeg

Well, there's your problem, you've been trying to spread peanut butter on water. Try bread.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Mid said:

no accounting for the English ...

never has been

They are exasperating but they are the best at many things.

Not the least of which is humour.