Can you imagine trying to turn America Metric?

If the last four years have taught me one thing about the USA, it's the impossibility to change anything.

Can you imagine the state co operation required to change road signage from miles to Km.

You'd have blue interstate signs in Kms, green State signs in Miles, Counties? probably ells or furlongs in every colour of the rainbow:D

How is that conversion to metric going? It's been a while since the coinage act 1792

19 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Theire hase to a benefitte, what woude that be?

Not having to buy two sets of drill bits two separate sprocket sets springs to mind. 

How do mechanics go with European V American cars?

Also, your migrants wouldn't have to feel they've stepped back in time when ordering 2lbs of snags.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Not having to buy two sets of drill bits two separate sprocket sets springs to mind.

Sprocket sets?

Bwahahahahahaha........

FKT

• Like 1

I've spent many happy posts beating up on the USA about their inability to manage the metric system, as a matter of fact.

Only 2 countries on the planet that cannot manage the metric system. Liberia - and the USA.

FKT

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Sprocket sets?

Bwahahahahahaha........

FKT

you know what I mean, those thingys you get every fathers day. look like inside out nuts and fit onto a ratchet thing to undo spark plugs.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I've spent many happy posts beating up on the USA about their inability to manage the metric system, as a matter of fact.

Only 2 countries on the planet that cannot manage the metric system. Liberia - and the USA.

FKT

and the UK.

• Like 1

I'll have you know we've the only freeway in the US marked in kilometers here in southern AZ.

I-19 (not really an interstate, but, whatever), between Tucson and Nogales.

It's good for the brain.

It is too late for the USA to go metric. The government blinked the first time it was tried. No second chance. It will be quaint for the tourists that visit the greatly diminished backwater that was once the mighty USA. Tourists will be thrilled to see what life was like in the 1900’s. How people get by without teeth or healthcare, etc. KKK cosplay, Nazi military marches, ya know: American Exceptionalism.

The USA is actually mostly metic where it matters. Carefully concealed. Never mentioned outside of work. Do not want to risk riling up the reactionaries and getting the metric system banned. 

Here in the Philippines it is fully metric. How did that ever happen here in the stubborn capital of the world? Mostly nobody cares. Skinny people weigh the same as a sack of rice. Gasoline is bought by the carefully counted out Peso. Food is weighed out with grunts and nods on unsealed scales of dubious accuracy. 

BTW: Spark plugs have always been metric in the USA. Threads and drive. Nobody told the rednecks so there wouldn’t be an outrage like the Freedom Fries debacle. 

2 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

I'll have you know we've the only freeway in the US marked in kilometers here in southern AZ.

It's good for the brain.

I bet that confuses the hell out of people trying to calculate 24 hours to Tulsa.

Tell me, are your speedo's (Odometer not bathers) in metric or do you have both kinds? 

4 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

It is too late for the USA to go metric. The government blinked the first time it was tried. No second chance. It will be quaint for the tourists that visit the greatly diminished backwater that was once the mighty USA. Tourists will be thrilled to see what life was like in the 1900’s. How people get by without teeth or healthcare, etc. KKK cosplay, Nazi military marches, ya know: American Exceptionalism.

The USA is actually mostly metic where it matters. Carefully concealed. Never mentioned outside of work. Do not want to risk riling up the reactionaries and getting the metric system banned. 

Here in the Philippines it is fully metric. How did that ever happen here in the stubborn capital of the world? Mostly nobody cares. Skinny people weigh the same as a sack of rice. Gasoline is bought by the carefully counted out Peso. Food is weighed out with grunts and nods on unsealed scales of dubious accuracy. 

BTW: Spark plugs have always been metric in the USA. Threads and drive. Nobody told the rednecks so there wouldn’t be an outrage like the Freedom Fries debacle. 

spark plugs or engines as a whole?

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

spark plugs or engines as a whole?

Spark plugs originally came from France, or some advanced country. The thread is 14mm but Jethro thinks it might be a poorly made 9/16-20.  The socket for an old fat plug was labeled what, 15/16 or something...but really 24mm ... or something. Brilliant and sneaky. 

• Like 1

America is Legally a metric country and had been for many many years... It's just the majority don't know it..

For instance the inch was changed equal 25.2 mm so the foot equals 304.8mm that happened in 1959. before then the foot was 2 parts in a million longer ..  (and the UK foot 1.7ppm shorter)

Most other measurements have gone the same way over the years.

In the UK it's only Road distances and the pint of beer still in Imperial measurements. I can't see that lasting much longer..

Even in the USA, the sciences are taught in metric at university level and in most schools the sciences are also taught in metric.. it will eventually get through..

5 minutes ago, The Q said:

America is Legally a metric country and had been for many many years... It's just the majority don't know it..

For instance the inch was changed equal 25.2 mm so the foot equals 304.8mm that happened in 1959. before then the foot was 2 parts in a million longer ..  (and the UK foot 1.7ppm shorter)

In the UK it's only Road distances and the pint of beer still in Imperial measurements. I can't see that lasting much longer..

Even in the USA, the sciences are taught in metric at university level and in most schools the sciences are also taught in metric.. it will eventually get through..

It won't while places do half and half measures or duel labeling.

You have to do it like tearing a band aid off.

We changed almost everything literally overnight. like waving a magic want. imperial just disappeared.

It took a good deal of public preparation and planning 

example, the new road signs were set up alongside the old but covered over. overnight, teams of australian pixies whisked the covers off the new and covered the old until they could be removed.

Sigh, we used to be able to just do things then.

2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Meters and liters and grams .. oh my 

I’ve sailed   on a 10.5,9.2, and  9.1 meter boat. That’s as much as I need to know

• Like 1

It was tried a few decades ago.  The difficulty was in switching from pounds to kilograms.

Caused mass hysteria.

I'll be here, all week.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

you know what I mean, those thingys you get every fathers day. look like inside out nuts and fit onto a ratchet thing to undo spark plugs.

"American" cars already have a nice mix of metric and SAE fasteners.  Makes working on them interesting.  

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

If the last four years have taught me one thing about the USA, it's the impossibility to change anything.

Can you imagine the state co operation required to change road signage from miles to Km.

You'd have blue interstate signs in Kms, green State signs in Miles, Counties? probably ells or furlongs in every colour of the rainbow:D

How is that conversion to metric going? It's been a while since the coinage act 1792

I can imagine it very much. We were going metric when I was a wee lad and I learned all about KGs, Meters, and Liters but we didn't learn anything at all about quarts or ounces or pounds.

Then it didn't happen :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Most people in the scientific community use metric.  Almost all the schools use (mostly) metric.  The government is what is actually holding us back from going fully metric.  If they got in line, the other folks would follow, however slowly.

49 minutes ago, bridhb said:

"American" cars already have a nice mix of metric and SAE fasteners.  Makes working on them interesting.  

New american cars from my manufacturer are 100% metric for those fasteners that the customer doesn't touch.  However, for things they DO touch we use imperial, because that's what the customer wants.  Makes it a pain in the ass for mechanics though.

The USA doesn't use "Imperial" measurement. We use "SAE" or Standard American Equivalent. Speedometers read both SAE (MPH) and metric (KPH) Which leads to the question; If metric measurement is so superior, why don't we have 10 hour days?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I bet that confuses the hell out of people trying to calculate 24 hours to Tulsa.

Tell me, are your speedo's (Odometer not bathers) in metric or do you have both kinds? 

Every car I have driven in the last few decades outside of antiques has both KMH and MPH scales.

image.png.c262ed890a69f6c025e814a57859fc1b.png

I had a car once with an electronic dash and I would hit the KMH button before picking my mother up to drive her someplace. She would have a fit about me driving 180 MPH and what a huge ticket that was going to be :lol:

image.png

2 hours ago, The Q said:

are sure about  25.2mm/inch? check again. both systems work and can work together if you use the correct conversion. if not it is a clusterfuck. although, metric is much better for everything.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

I’ve sailed   on a 10.5,9.2, and  9.1 meter boat. That’s as much as I need to know

If you have sailed on the current version of J boats there’s that decimeter, meter thing.

18 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

New american cars from my manufacturer are 100% metric for those fasteners that the customer doesn't touch.  However, for things they DO touch we use imperial, because that's what the customer wants.  Makes it a pain in the ass for mechanics though.

But it helps the guys selling tools.  I’m barely competent to put a socket on a ratchet and even I have both SAE and metric sockets; which, by the way, fit on a 1/4” and 3/8” ratchet.  Go figure.

2 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

But it helps the guys selling tools.  I’m barely competent to put a socket on a ratchet and even I have both SAE and metric sockets; which, by the way, fit on a 1/4” and 3/8” ratchet.  Go figure.

Do your whole car with 13mm and a 1/2 inch socket works too ;)

15 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Do your whole car with 13mm and a 1/2 inch socket works too ;)

If memory serves, the 13mm was the one I grabbed the most when working on Bugs.

40 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

I am imagine the conversion, like so much else, would be politicized. 

Thing is, you buy a "gallon" of milk, and it's 0.925 gallons. You buy a "fifth" of liquor and it's whatever the fuck 750ml is in quarts or pints or whatever the fuck is closest.

We are using the metric system, it's just translated into Stupidstani for the yokels.

- DSK

• Like 1

it doesn't really matter to most people unless the real numbers are important. if you fudge the numbers below, it would be much worse than most people could ever imagine. amazingly that is a rational number. 4L is about a gallon, I don't think Exxon uses that conversion.

image.png.cc16c40cba9e0811f746c0faecf77916.png

13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Thing is, you buy a "gallon" of milk, and it's 0.925 gallons. You buy a "fifth" of liquor and it's whatever the fuck 750ml is in quarts or pints or whatever the fuck is closest.

We are using the metric system, it's just translated into Stupidstani for the yokels.

- DSK

This, it is happening, just very slowly. I grew up in South Africa with Imperial, then in school had to change to metric, then moved to USA and back to a silly mix of the two.

3 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

It's good for the brain.

Actually Puerto Rico randomly has both posted. That's still the US, right?

14 minutes ago, Voyageur said:

Back in the ‘70s the local university was building a new athletic field house complete with swimming pool.  Building is done, dedicated, opened, etc.  School’s  swimming team was setting all kinds of records as were visiting teams.  Finally someone got out the tape measure.  You guessed it, pool was 25 yards, not 25 meters.

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Odometer does miles, speedometer does both.

The US does seem not very good at change beyond the metric system as well. It makes no sense to still have pennies and one dollar notes. Starting with nickels and having one dollar (and two dollar) coins is just much easier.

8 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I just don’t want to make the conversion because my commute would more than double in length!

Yeah, but  you'd be driving between 80 and 100 all the way!

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Not the same, the passengers will see the the big 160 too. Unless they saw the little "kmh" in the corner, they thought the 200 mean 200 MPH on my high tech digi-dash :D

Where can yo drive 125 mph?? 

11 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:
18 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Anyplace there aren't any cops and any traffic

Big difference between "Can you?"

and

"May you?"

and

"Should you?"

Fuck, I'm getting old

- DSK

4 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Anyplace there aren't any cops and any traffic B)

That doesn’t describe anywhere near Austin. I think the texas  goal was set at one cop per non-white resident and  those pesky Mexicans keep showing up and working 

3 hours ago, Voyageur said:

are sure about  25.2mm/inch? check again. both systems work and can work together if you use the correct conversion. if not it is a clusterfuck. although, metric is much better for everything.

Yeah you're right, that's a cockup by me, it's 25.4mm to the inch,  I was concentrating   measuring a  resistor  and had too many numbers in my brain at the same time.

That's my job.. electrical metrology , the science of measurement, hence me knowing such rubbish.  Getting the measurement of a resistor to 0.1 parts in a million accurately, requires more concentration than waffling on here..

7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Sprocket sets?

Bwahahahahahaha........

FKT

She's obviously worked on a lot of broken vehicles.

My made-in-Italy vehicle is jammed with Imperial bolts, my Ford has metric, my Mazda has both imperial and metric, my Mitsubishi has Imperial where the Mitsubishi stuff should be and Metric where the Dodge stuff should be.

And then the customers of my design tools often specifically ask for the Imperial tools when they live in France, Britain and Japan, and my government customers in USA and Canada only ask for the metric tools, because that's apparently the lingua franca of forensic counterfeit detection.

What I can't understand is why busy-bodies like Meli feel so worried about us Yanks using two measurement systems. Does she also feel compelled to start threads about some Belgians using both Dutch and French? Does she stay up at night worrying about Québécois using both French and English? Is it problem that so many Uruguayans speak Italian along with their Spanish?

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

You're too stupid to know that the metric system on which we base our Imperial system is actually measured in neither.

7 minutes ago, mikewof said:

You're too stupid to know that the metric system on which we base our Imperial system is actually measured in neither.

That’s new to me. How is the imperial system based on the metric system?

6 hours ago, El Borracho said:

Spark plugs originally came from France, or some advanced country. The thread is 14mm but Jethro thinks it might be a poorly made 9/16-20.  The socket for an old fat plug was labeled what, 15/16 or something...but really 24mm ... or something. Brilliant and sneaky. 

Spark plugs are designed in both metric and Imperial. The gap can be either metric or imperial, the thread is usually metric, the exterior nut can be either metric or imperial, depending on the manufacturer, the gap is calculated in either metric or imperial and converted as needed for the country of use, the resistance is always metric, the heat range is neither metric nor imperial but just a ratio, the wire lengths are either metric or imperial, depending on the vehicle, the depth is machined from either metric or imperial, depending on the engine specs, the emitter layering thickness is sometimes metric, sometimes imperial, depending on the manufacturer, the emitter diameter can be imperial even on the NGK and Nippon Denso plugs, presumably when they source their screw machines from surplus U.S. stocks, or metric on NGK or Champion plugs, if they are made on Japanese screw machines. The ceramics are specified in both, but the ones my old man made were specified in Imperial, because the mud specs were in Imperial.

52 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Big difference between "Can you?"

and

"May you?"

and

"Should you?"

Fuck, I'm getting old

- DSK

Well I guess I left out the part about reasonable sight lines too, do not attempt in Walmart parking lot.

Long ago doing brake bedding-testing on my old Porsche at night with basically no cars.

We were running up to 130-something, braking hard, turning around on a dirt patch in the median, going back, and doing it again. There was a parked car not too far past the dirt. 4 or 5 runs and we were done and did not turn around. The parked car was a cop car with the radar facing ahead (i.e not back at us) B)

* we did smile and wave going by, no need to be rude

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, inneedofadvice said:
22 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Because in the wofsiverse, all things are equal.

A quark is equivalent to a light-year which weighs the same as a duck

- DSK

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, inneedofadvice said:

Just about the entire planet calibrates to one of the Cesium Fountain clocks, there is one in France, one in Britain and one in Germany, and they're all calibrated with the one in Boulder, Colorado, at the National Institutes of Standard and Technology, which is currently creating duplicate components for the emerging F-2 standard so that the rest of the world can be on the same independent time standard. The time standard is used to define the meter and recently, the kilogram. (The kilogram used to be standardized by the iridium kilogram, kept in France, but that method wasn't accurate enough, so the world moved to the time-based standard, which now defines the kilogram as the amount of downward force exerted by the Earth, balanced with the upward force created by the time-based electromagnetic force.)

So for meter-kilograms-seconds, it's all based on a clock now, a clock is the only remaining standard that requires matching calibrations.

NIST then uses those standards to define the inch, pound, ounce, gallon, etc., which is what Steam Flyer referred to as "stupidstani for the yokels." But he doesn't seem to understand that NIST also converts those quantum fluctuations meters, grams, joules, watts, etc., for the OTHER yokels who live outside of the USA.

Steam Flyer doesn't nderstand that the time is converted from fundamental constants INTO metric for us humans, since we don't find Planck Time and Planck Length of quantum fluctuations particularly useful measures and into Imperial, for use "Stupidstanis" who prefer it. And of course the irony of all this is that even metric is just an overlay. Nature doesn't actually use this base-ten nonsense, nor do we. By moving back to the time-standard, we're reverted back to the base-twelve time measure. So all those Australians, Germans, Italians, Franch, et al., are back on the Imperial base-twelve measure, without even realizing it, and it's why have to add leap seconds to our time so regularly.

9 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

The UK still has an imperial hangover.;)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I wish i got a set every year, those fuckers are expensive.

8 hours ago, The Q said:

Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg began his new role as the leader of the House of Commons by issuing a style guide to all staff members in his new office.

His rules, according to ITV News, include banning his staff from using words such as "very", "lot" and "got" when writing to other MPs and members of the public.

Mr Rees-Mogg, who was brought into government by the new prime minister this week, has also asked staff in his new office to use imperial measurements and refer to non-titled males as "esquire".

The guidance was drawn up by Mr Rees-Mogg's North East Somerset constituency team some years ago, but has now been shared with officials in his new office.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49137619

Unless the Brexit loons get their way.;)

5 hours ago, Voyageur said:

it doesn't really matter to most people unless the real numbers are important. if you fudge the numbers below, it would be much worse than most people could ever imagine. amazingly that is a rational number. 4L is about a gallon, I don't think Exxon uses that conversion.

image.png.cc16c40cba9e0811f746c0faecf77916.png

US pints, quarts and gallons are smaller than UK measures though.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Because in the wofsiverse, all things are equal.

A quark is equivalent to a light-year which weighs the same as a duck

- DSK

:lol::lol:

3 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Autobahn

11 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

How do mechanics go with European V American cars?

Also, your migrants wouldn't have to feel they've stepped back in time when ordering 2lbs of snags.

Sockets will be a big expense.   Many American branded products use metric sockets and have for years.   GM acquired a share of Isuzu and rebadged some of their cars as I recall.   Ford did the same for Mazda products up to the great recession.   US products are sold around the world, so fasteners are designed for the world.   The challenge for Americans is our metric sockets have imperial drives, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" for big farm equipment.   That's a significant expense for each mechanic and home handyman whenever we finally shift.    Between deep well, six sided, 12 sided, in various drives, a well equipped shop has well over a hundred sockets.   Throw in impact wrench sockets, you are looking at a lot of money to replace them all (assuming they aren't cheap Chinese junk that cracks at 20 foot pounds torque, though that eliminates the need for a torque wrench at least).    The shift is coming despite our protests.  I recently bought a safe.   To bolt it to the floor I was instructed to drill 11/27" holes.    I just couldn't find a bit that size.   It is very helpful to have a metric tape measure when installing imported products.  Even if the product size is in inches, the space on center for the fastner is almost certainly a whole number in metric but a random fraction in imperial.   Personally I won't miss anything but horsepower, pounds per square inch, foot pounds, wind speed and mpg.    My brain can translate one unit, but has trouble with measures that require translating two units for some reason.   Since the dingbats in Europe insist on meters / sec instead of kph to measure wind, that one sucks extra. 

Consumer products are often in metric sizes already.   Either a foreign ownership of the company means product size is in kg but labeled in pounds / oz, or an American company did the same thing deliberately to shrink product size instead of raising the price.    People that bake have had to rewrite grandma's recipe.   

10 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Sprocket sets?

Bwahahahahahaha........

FKT

I got a shit ton of 'sprocket sets'. I change gear clusters on the bike to suit the terrain. And I mix & match within that cluster set. And different rear hubs have different splines, so more spare gears!!  Whopee!!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Most people in the scientific community use metric.  Almost all the schools use (mostly) metric.  The government is what is actually holding us back from going fully metric.  If they got in line, the other folks would follow, however slowly.

Maybe after they auger a few more Mars landers into the planet due to unit calculation errors...

FKT

Just now, longy said:

I got a shit ton of 'sprocket sets'. I change gear clusters on the bike to suit the terrain. And I mix & match within that cluster set. And different rear hubs have different splines, so more spare gears!!  Whopee!!

Yeah sure but Meli actually meant *socket sets*.

Of which I have a lot but fortunately the AF/SAE/BSW/BSF ones get little use nowadays.

When I built my boat I was careful to ensure that nothing but metric fittings were used.

FKT

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Maybe after they auger a few more Mars landers into the planet due to unit calculation errors...

FKT

One can certainly hope.  And we're not the only ones that have screwed the pooch on those conversions =)

Just now, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Of which I have a lot but fortunately the AF/SAE/BSW/BSF ones get little use nowadays.

When I built my boat I was careful to ensure that nothing but metric fittings were used.

FKT

Most good socket sets here come with both metric and sae.

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Don't get me started on a pound of coffee.

Most industries in the US will grab onto anything that will let them subtly and silently screw the consumer into getting less than what they think they're paying for.

2 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Building a boat gave me the perfect excuse to buy a complete duplicate set of tools to keep aboard.

FKT

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Yes, I should have used purple fonts..

I have had arguments with other people on boat projects to keep the same thread family. Fired one clown who went ahead & used Eng on a metric boat after being told to stay metric.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Lark said:

Sockets will be a big expense.   Many American branded products use metric sockets and have for years.   GM acquired a share of Isuzu and rebadged some of their cars as I recall.   Ford did the same for Mazda products up to the great recession.   US products are sold around the world, so fasteners are designed for the world.   The challenge for Americans is our metric sockets have imperial drives, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" for big farm equipment.   That's a significant expense for each mechanic and home handyman whenever we finally shift.

Nope, standardised world wide. The square drive dims aren't going to change. Just like idiotic pipe threads and the like, there's simply too much installed infrastructure.

I've got 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 sets depending on what I'm trying to burr/break...

FKT

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, longy said:

Yes, I should have used purple fonts..

I have had arguments with other people on boat projects to keep the same thread family. Fired one clown who went ahead & used Eng on a metric boat after being told to stay metric.

Had a couple here working on their boat for a while. As we were pulling things apart, every time we came across an inch threaded fastener on something being disassembled, we'd bin it and replace it with a metric one. Harder to do with tapped holes of course but anything with a nut was fair game.

FKT

18 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Yes I did mean socket set, socket and ratchet became sprocket . 

21 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Yeah, mine has both. I think I only used the imperial. I bought it to restore something. Cant remember now.

6 hours ago, Monkey said:

I just don’t want to make the conversion because my commute would more than double in length!

Clearly you do not know how to do metric conversion.  Or maybe arithmetic.

The only way to do the switchover is to simply announce the day it will happen and get on with it.  Canada tried to do dual signage and people only read the one they already knew.  So they just went full metric on signage.  Although you can still get a pound of sliced ham at a deli counter.

10 hours ago, El Borracho said:

It is too late for the USA to go metric. The government blinked the first time it was tried. No second chance. It will be quaint for the tourists that visit the greatly diminished backwater that was once the mighty USA.

Did business force the Govt to blink because of retooling costs?

8 hours ago, bridhb said:

That's because many of the components that the UAW use to build cars come from other countries. Remember we do not build things in the US any more. We assemble them.

7 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

If metric measurement is so superior, why don't we have 10 hour days?

Soon we'll be using the Star Date/Time

I love it and who cares about SAE or Metric, what came first for distance Kilometer, Statute Mile or the Nautical Mile? Or was it Cubits.................... fer crikey sake, the ancients couldn't get it right either.

The cubit is an ancient unit of length that had several definitions according to each of the various cultures that used the unit. These definitions typically ranged between 444 and 529.2 mm (17.48 and 20.83 in), with an ancient Roman cubit being as long as 120 cm (47 in). The shorter unit – common cubit – was based on the forearm length from the tip of the middle finger to the bottom of the elbow and was divided as 6 palms × 4 fingers = 24 digits. Royal cubits added a palm for 7 palms × 4 fingers = 28 digits.

38 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Yeah, mine has both. I think I only used the imperial. I bought it to restore something. Cant remember now.

Imperial is a  royal pain in the ass. Neither SAE, nor metric will really fit.