Given a choice after a long time pot sit maybe a good wipe does aid in personal comfort.

IMG_3628.jpeg

IMG_1531.jpeg

IMG_1533.jpeg

IMG_1537.jpeg

Boat was blown onto the rock wall in Alameda during a windy day last week (02/21).  We were sailing in the south bay and heard the call over the radio on channel 16. The boat bottom was quite fouled with a very heavy beard which lead to poor handling over thinner waters and lee shores. The boat prior to this beaching was actually nice. The boat was plugged, pulled off the rocks and brought to Grand Marina and taken out of the water. She has been draining for 5 days, will be cut up soon and insurance collected. 

Good chance a half effort wipe before leaving port would have saved this boat.

52 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Flush.

I'm sure insurance will total the boat depending on the policy.

Many people have liability only which is the minimum requirement for most marinas.

Anyone have an estimate on repairs.

41 minutes ago, ride2live said:

If that amount of growth puts boats on the rocks there would be a lot more boats on the rocks.

the boat was towed 6 miles, rinsed and dried so it could sit in yard.

I can tell you there are always a more than few boats every year that are so fouled they lose steering and clog intakes. The drift with the current and get assistance from passer by. about three or four times a year when I am out in my super dinghy, I am the one who tows folks back to the dock at Jack London square, Fortman and other marinas in Alameda because they neglected to brush the forest or beard away from their bottom and rudder.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
22 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I'm sure insurance will total the boat depending on the policy.

Many people have liability only which is the minimum requirement for most marinas.

Anyone have an estimate on repairs.

Too much damage to repair compared to the value of the boat. A cored hull with a cast iron keel and a damaged rudder...a new rudder will cost around $4000 alone.