14 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I only go by what I read, from your posts.

No. you. do. not.  As has been pointed out to you numerous times, you do not actually read and digest my posts.  You instead assume you know what I must be thinking and what I must believe based on your preconceived notions of what someone like me must believe - and then you project those assumptions into everything that you type.  That has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions by numerous posters and not a single one of your elk has ever come to your defence when you've been called out on it.  Has it ever occured to you why that is?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cancel culture is supposed to be used on nigra quarterbacks who demand their rights, not Amuricans.  

No, you haven't offered anything, and your effort to deflect on me is about to blow up in your face. I went back and read your post (No post#s anymore, but it was at 4:08pm yesterday) and there i

My landlords got redlined out of the first house they wanted to buy.  1958.  Took 'em 'till '91 to be able to buy in a better neighbourhood. In time for the grandkids, if not the kids. They're mi

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

No. you. do. not.  As has been pointed out to you numerous times, you do not actually read and digest my posts.  You instead assume you know what I must be thinking and what I must believe based on your preconceived notions of what someone like me must believe - and then you project those assumptions into everything that you type.  That has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions by numerous posters and not a single one of your elk has ever come to your defence when you've been called out on it.  Has it ever occured to you why that is?

So just say what you think, don't go all snowflake

- DSK

15 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

So just say what you think, don't go all snowflake

- DSK

I was pretty clear.  Nothing snowflake about it.  

23 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

I was pretty clear.  Nothing snowflake about it.  

Ok then, who is my elk?

;)

And you're in favor reparations to descendants of slaves, now?

- DSK

2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Well, I'm not sure how black history month, black holidays, reparations and the like really achieve a colorblind society.  So I'm betting that you mistook my observing that it doesn't achieve that and in fact does exactly the opposite as "scorn".  However, if by saying that those things do nothing but drive wedges and sow division and separation among the races, rather than bring us together in much the same way as a having a white history month or a white congressional caucus or a white only holiday would drive wedges and sow division is considered "scorn..... then scorn it is.

I don't recall "hollering" at you about attempts to increase black attendance in University.  I more likely questioned whether the means you were doing so were achieving the correct goal of equality.  If lowering the bar to achieve some artificial sense of "equality" is your thing, I simply disagree with those methods.  I would like to see the ultimate goal of more blacks attend college, but you don't fix the problem of inequality at the University level - you do it before even K-school and earlier.  Diversity simply for the sake of diversity so a bunch of white liberal elitist college profs and administrators can all congratulate themselves at cocktail parties about how "woke" they are and what a good thing they are doing for the blacks makes them sleep better at night - is not helping the black community at all in the end.  Nor is it helping the greater society.

Perhaps DeShawn and Sha'niqua's mother and/or baby daddy should have probably given more thought to the ramification of their kid's names if they didn't want them to be adversely affected in life.  I'm pretty sure if I named my kid "Adolf Hitler" or my daughter "Slutzilla" - they would probably have a slightly harder time in school than if I named them John or Madeleine.  Just saying.  

TL/DR

9 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:
11 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Well, I'm not sure how black history month, black holidays, reparations and the like really achieve a colorblind society.  So I'm betting that you mistook my observing that it doesn't achieve that and in fact does exactly the opposite as "scorn".  However, if by saying that those things do nothing but drive wedges and sow division and separation among the races, rather than bring us together in much the same way as a having a white history month or a white congressional caucus or a white only holiday would drive wedges and sow division is considered "scorn..... then scorn it is.

I don't recall "hollering" at you about attempts to increase black attendance in University.  I more likely questioned whether the means you were doing so were achieving the correct goal of equality.  If lowering the bar to achieve some artificial sense of "equality" is your thing, I simply disagree with those methods.  I would like to see the ultimate goal of more blacks attend college, but you don't fix the problem of inequality at the University level - you do it before even K-school and earlier.  Diversity simply for the sake of diversity so a bunch of white liberal elitist college profs and administrators can all congratulate themselves at cocktail parties about how "woke" they are and what a good thing they are doing for the blacks makes them sleep better at night - is not helping the black community at all in the end.  Nor is it helping the greater society.

Perhaps DeShawn and Sha'niqua's mother and/or baby daddy should have probably given more thought to the ramification of their kid's names if they didn't want them to be adversely affected in life.  I'm pretty sure if I named my kid "Adolf Hitler" or my daughter "Slutzilla" - they would probably have a slightly harder time in school than if I named them John or Madeleine.  Just saying.  

TL/DR

No surprise there, we want a "color blind society" when it comes to anything good for black people. The rest of the time, carry on as normal. After all, we weren't prejudiced until Obama!

- DSK

23 hours ago, dfw_sailor said:

The Australian version of Patriotism. USA could do with a bit of it.   

WTF do you have to bring kids into this. I think the little kids in the USA are just fine. It's when they get older and are corrupted by the mind police and told to believe certain things.
I went to high school in a very mixed area and the only people fighting and hating were the Blacks against the Mexicans or the Mexicans against the Blacks.
My lower grade school K to 8 were all over the US and in Bangkok, 4 different schools and areas. Met lots of kids from around the world.

23 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You'll get shot for posting that. And not by the right wingers, either. In fact you'll get called a racist for showing something like that because it's clearly impossible and just propaganda.

The entire US political body is toxic with racism so deeply embedded in everything they do that they can't see it themselves. I find it fascinating just how deeply Orwell's double-think has permeated the Left. The far Right, OTOH, is a lot easier. They're just plain unabashed racist fuckwits.

FKT

It is not Racism, it is GREED. Greed for Power and Money.

I have not found any political body racist. When I look at the Local, State and Congressional make up, it is very mixed. Unless you are saying that Nancy Pelosi is racist? She has been running the House for an awful long time.

Though the mind set of many rats that say, "we'll take care of you by giving you just enough to get by" , makes virtual slaves of many.

Nothing is free especially free money.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:52 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Cancel culture is supposed to be used on nigra quarterbacks who demand their rights, not Amuricans.  

Don't forget canceling raising the minimum wage, single payer health care, student loan forgiveness, campaign finance reform, term limits... and Democracy.

19 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

TL/DR

Yeah, I know complex thoughts and anything other than bullet points scare you.  No great loss that you skipped on by because you couldn't be bothered to spend the 90 sec it would take to read those 3 paragraphs.  

7 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Yeah, I know complex thoughts and anything other than bullet points scare you.  No great loss that you skipped on by because you couldn't be bothered to spend the 90 sec it would take to read those 3 paragraphs.  

The problem isn't one post, it's the entire body of work.  I have to manage my wasted time here.

3 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

The problem isn't one post, it's the entire body of work.  I have to manage my wasted time here.

TL;DR

• Like 1
On 3/4/2021 at 1:07 AM, AJ Oliver said:

Cancel culture in 1904 or so was so powerful that Clemons 

was leaned on bigly to not publish the "War Prayer". 

He caved, but it did finally see the light in 1923 after his death. 

One of my Music Dept colleagues wrote a musical score to accompany it back in 2003. 

Sort of like the "Jefferson Bible".

4 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

WTF do you have to bring kids into this. I think the little kids in the USA are just fine. It's when they get older and are corrupted by the mind police and told to believe certain things.
I went to high school in a very mixed area and the only people fighting and hating were the Blacks against the Mexicans or the Mexicans against the Blacks.
My lower grade school K to 8 were all over the US and in Bangkok, 4 different schools and areas. Met lots of kids from around the world.

Its not just a kids song - it is endemic throughout Australia, was popularized in mass media from the '90s onwards. Find me an equivalent meaning "we are one" and popularity in the US please?

Written by the Seekers in 1987.

TMI, but hell why not;

In 1996 the Salvation Army used the song in TV advertisements for its Red Shield Appeal.[6]

The song was used by the Australian Republican Movement in radio and television advertisements during the 1999 Australian republic referendum.[citation needed]

In October 2003, in conjunction with the sponsorship of the 2003 Rugby World Cup, Australian telecommunications giant Telstra launched a new campaign centered on the song remixed and performed by Rai Thistlethwayte. The campaign was produced by advertising company Young and Rubicam.[7][8][9]

In aid of the Farmhand Foundation's Drought Relief Appeal, Telstra released a CD of the Rai Thistlethwayte remix that sold for $6. A total of $100,000 was raised from the profits ($4.05 per CD) generated from the sale of the CD. The actual published copy of the CD credits "Performed by: Rai Thistlewayte & other artists" and "Music re-arranged by: Rai Thistlewayte".

In 2008, Telstra used a different version of the song recorded by the Sydney band, Botanics, for advertising their mobile coverage of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

In 2009 two additional verses were added to show remembrance during the official National Day of Mourning for the victims of the Black Saturday bushfires.[10] Woodley performed the song along with his daughter Clare and Kinglake fire survivors Merelyn and David Carter during the memorial service at the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne on 22 February.[11][12]

• Like 1

Hey @Burning Man   . . . 

Do you grasp that this is wildly offensive  ??  

Perhaps DeShawn and Sha'niqua's mother and/or baby daddy should have probably given more thought to the ramification of their kid's names if they didn't want them to be adversely affected in life.  I'm pretty sure if I named my kid "Adolf Hitler"

• Like 1
8 hours ago, BOI Guy said:

Now we can't buy shampoo for "normal" hair, apparently some people get upset with the name.

It’s so sad that marketing folks pay attention to pop culture. Capitalism sucks don’t it?

On 3/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Burning Man said...... never.  

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:
On 3/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, Steam Flyer said:

That's what I thought, going by what you've said in the past.

How about black people whose property has been destroyed by hate crimes, more recently... house burnt, businesses bombed, etc etc... ?

- DSK

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

How about black people whose property has been destroyed by hate crimes, more recently... house burnt, businesses bombed, etc etc... ?

Do you mean the Yeman / Sudan / Iraq / Syria... victims of the US Governmant? Why just Black?

2 minutes ago, BOI Guy said:
8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Do you mean the Yeman / Sudan / Iraq / Syria... victims of the US Governmant? Why just Black?

S-s-sh! JBSF might be on the hook for some of that, personally... blowing up brown people has been his job for the past decade or so. I was thinking of keeping inside the US borders.

OTOH one of the reason why black households are, on average, poorer than white households, is the deliberate destruction of property by whites.

- DSK

@Steam FlyerAnd you're in favor reparations to descendants of slaves, now?  

Interestingly, to me anyway, in the past there have been reparations for slavery - 

paid to the ex-slave OWNERS, not the former slaves.  (Thanks Abe !!) 

As nearly as I can tell, Freedmen in the US never got a penny of "reparations" 

for centuries of unpaid, forced labor. 

And don't forget Jim Crow either - which excluded blacks from nearly all good jobs, education, etc. 

What are they owed for that ?? 

I guess @Burning Man would say "Nothing". 

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

@Steam FlyerAnd you're in favor reparations to descendants of slaves, now?  

Interestingly, to me anyway, in the past there have been reparations for slavery - 

paid to the ex-slave OWNERS, not the former slaves.  (Thanks Abe !!) 

As nearly as I can tell, Freedmen in the US never got a penny of "reparations" 

for centuries of unpaid, forced labor. 

And don't forget Jim Crow either - which excluded blacks from nearly all good jobs, education, etc. 

What are they owed for that ?? 

I guess @Burning Man would say "Nothing". 

I have not seen a specific proposal in favor of slave reparations that i would vote in favor of... in theory, I'm neutral on that issue. If it's to be done, it should be fair which means it should be structured so that only descendants of slaves get the payment and only people whose ancestors were here in the USA, as non-slaves, prior to 1860, should pay it. Alternatively, surviving institutions such as the southern universities that owned slaves have in some cases offered reparations to specific people identified as descendants of slaves they owned. That strikes me as about as fair as can be arranged.

I'm not in favor of a "color blind society" if what is meant by "color blind" is that black and brown people have to pretend to be white, give their kids white-sounding names, etc etc, and always be careful to walk one step behind & accept lower pay and lesser educations etc etc, so that certain people can continue to get angry about everything they get handed to them.

- DSK

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'm not in favor of a "color blind society" if what is meant by "color blind" is that black and brown people have to pretend to be white, give their kids white-sounding names, etc etc, and always be careful to walk one step behind & accept lower pay and lesser educations etc etc, so that certain people can continue to get angry about everything they get handed to them.

- DSK

It's pretty sad that you see a 'color blind society' in such terms.

Really, you should come & visit Australia for a while. We're not perfect for sure, there are fringe racists, but we make sure they *stay* fringe and irrelevant. Otherwise it's a pretty colour-blind place.

I caught a bit of the Meaghan Markle shit-show where she was bitching about how unnamed members of the Royal Family were commenting on her skin colour. WTF? She's not black, she's not even dark, she's a light caramel at most.

My GF has a bunch of Filipina women friends with darker skin than her, let alone the Rwandan refugee family with 8 kids we give a ton of excess fruit to. They're jet black. Makes no difference - 3 of the 8 kids have now graduated high school, 2 are at university, the other one is working.

You guys are fucked in the head IMO.

As for reparations, I'd personally be in favour of it as a one-off event.

FKT

3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'm not in favor of a "color blind society" if what is meant by "color blind" is that black and brown people have to pretend to be white, give their kids white-sounding names, etc e characteristic.tc, and always be careful to walk one step behind & accept lower pay and lesser educations etc etc, so that certain people can continue to get angry about everything they get handed to them.

...   ...

Isn't that what you're complaining the USA is like (my comment, not actual color blindness)? You may need a refresher course is sarcasm.

The color of one's skin is one of the least important things about a person. Nor is it a universal marker for culture, socioeconomic status, etc etc. OTOH it is in fact one of the most obvious, first-noticed and always-in-sight characteristic.

There is no reason for banks to deny mortgages to black people. But it happens in pretty much every country  I've ever seen statistics on, including ones run by black people... Caribbean islands, for example, are infamously harsher to their darker-hued citizens.

- DSK

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The color of one's skin is one of the least important things about a person.

Amen.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:
8 hours ago, Burning Man said:
On 3/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Steam Flyer said:

That's what I thought, going by what you've said in the past.

- DSK

Actually, let me revisit the reparations thing.  I actually have said in the past that I'm in favor of reparations to blacks whose ancestors were slaves IF and only IF this finally shuts them up and closes the subject of "white privilege" once and for all.  If we can do that, where can I send my check.  Short of that, nfw.

Can you give me some examples where whites have done widespread destruction of black's property in recent times?  I can think of some onesey/twosey examples, but nothing systemic enough to harm blacks as a whole in the US.  Happy to be set straight with facts if you have them.  Links are good.  

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

S-s-sh! JBSF might be on the hook for some of that, personally... blowing up brown people has been his job for the past decade or so. I was thinking of keeping inside the US borders.

It had nothing to do with the color of their skin.  It was just a coinkydink.  No one sat around and talked about bombing brown people.  We even had our own brown people bombing brown people.  If it had been pasty white Canadians from Manitoba who blew up the WTC and the pentagon - we'd have happily bombed them too.  

OTOH one of the reason why black households are, on average, poorer than white households, is the deliberate destruction of property by whites.

You keep saying this.  Examples please.  And again, not anecdotal events - but property destruction on a widespread enough scale to change the entire nationwide black household outcomes to make them poorer as a group.  I'll wait.....

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

there's your projections coming out again douglas.  I nor anyone here has ever said that to my knowledge.  IN fact I have written a lot of words about "equality" and "equal" and being treated purely based on your merits rather than anything to do with skin color.  Wouldn't that be a good idea?  One to aspire to?  One where MLK's Dream was realized finally?  

Unfortunately, I believe that a truly "color blind" society scares the living shit out of both blacks and SJW whites.  Blacks because they would lose their excuse to have the bar set lower, be unable to play the race card and be treated the same and allowed to fail the same as everyone else.  And the SJWs because they would lose their power over a block of people who they made big bank on by perpetuating the everlasting victim class.  Just saying.

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Really, you should come & visit Australia for a while. We're not perfect for sure, there are fringe racists, but we make sure they *stay* fringe and irrelevant. Otherwise it's a pretty colour-blind place.

I caught a bit of the Meaghan Markle shit-show where she was bitching about how unnamed members of the Royal Family were commenting on her skin colour. WTF? She's not black, she's not even dark, she's a light caramel at most.

My GF has a bunch of Filipina women friends with darker skin than her, let alone the Rwandan refugee family with 8 kids we give a ton of excess fruit to. They're jet black. Makes no difference - 3 of the 8 kids have now graduated high school, 2 are at university, the other one is working.

You guys are fucked in the head IMO.

FKT

Yup.  I watched her over several seasons in Suits, and it never even occurred to me she was "black".  

As for reparations, I'd personally be in favour of it as a one-off event.

Me too.  As long as it comes with a "STFU and move on requirement".  Where do I send the check?

There is no reason for banks to deny mortgages to black people. But it happens in pretty much every country  I've ever seen statistics on, including ones run by black people... Caribbean islands, for example, are infamously harsher to their darker-hued citizens.

I've always wondered about that as well.  When I was in Dubai - there are a lot of non-white, non-arab folks from many nationalities all mixed into a relatively small area.  I had many occasions to chat to Indians (spot not feather), Filipinos, Thais, Vietnamese, etc.  And it was obvious that there was a definite pecking order based on skin color.  Especially in the SE Asian cultures.  Darker skinned folks were looked down upon by the lighter skinned folks of the same nation.  Lighter skinned Asian women would go to great lengths to stay light.  They would always walk around with umbrellas and scarves on a sunny day (which was always there) and would often use skin whitening cream.  After a while I was curious, so I started asking a few that I knew well what the deal was.  The pretty universal answer was the lighter skinned folks were seen as the upper classes who didn't have to work in the fields or in outdoor labor while the darker skinned were the laborers.  Many treated their darker skinned counterparts with scorn and contempt.  In India, it's even worse when compounded by their official caste system.  It was a double whammy of socioeconomic and class status.  Weird.

14 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

there's your projections coming out again douglas.  I nor anyone here has ever said that to my knowledge.  IN fact I have written a lot of words about "equality" and "equal" and being treated purely based on your merits rather than anything to do with skin color.  Wouldn't that be a good idea?  One to aspire to?  One where MLK's Dream was realized finally?  

Unfortunately, I believe that a truly "color blind" society scares the living shit out of both blacks and SJW whites.  Blacks because they would lose their excuse to have the bar set lower, be unable to play the race card and be treated the same and allowed to fail the same as everyone else.  And the SJWs because they would lose their power over a block of people who they made big bank on by perpetuating the everlasting victim class.  Just saying.

Whoa chief

Recall your exact words, further up thread. You criticised "black-sounding names" and sneeringly said that "baby-momma" should think about it.

You simply get angry any time black people are given any privilege or recognition granted by others.

Insisting that nobody can acknowledge such a thing as black people is not "color blind"

- DSK

On 3/7/2021 at 6:24 PM, Burning Man said:

Black names are just like "Hitler" and "Slutzilla"...

8931bc02e3670100e91adc4a27a9fdd2.gif

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Actually, let me revisit the reparations thing.  I actually have said in the past that I'm in favor of reparations to blacks whose ancestors were slaves IF and only IF this finally shuts them up and closes the subject of "white privilege" once and for all.  If we can do that, where can I send my check.  Short of that, nfw.

Can you give me some examples where whites have done widespread destruction of black's property in recent times?  I can think of some onesey/twosey examples, but nothing systemic enough to harm blacks as a whole in the US.  Happy to be set straight with facts if you have them.  Links are good.  

If you still don’t understand redlining yet, you never will.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I was thinking of keeping inside the US borders.

Of course you were. 

2 hours ago, Mark K said:

That is unbelievable. If he was born in iceland and named Jeff people would look at him like a freak, like he does with black people.  Pure flat out racism.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Raz'r said:
3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

He doesn't want to understand, he wants to kvetch.

Does bombing a church count? Well known case in my lifetime.

Then we can look at the legal record: https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2019-hate-crime-statistics

...{quote)... the FBI released Hate Crime Statistics, 2019, the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program’s latest compilation about bias-motivated incidents throughout the nation. The 2019 data, submitted by 15,588 law enforcement agencies, provide information about the offenses, victims, offenders, and locations of hate crimes.

Law enforcement agencies submitted incident reports involving 7,314 criminal incidents and 8,559 related offenses as being motivated by bias toward race, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender, and gender identity....

Victims of Hate Crime Incidents

• There were 7,103 single-bias incidents involving 8,552 victims. A percent distribution of victims by bias type shows that 57.6% of victims were targeted because of the offenders’ race/ethnicity/ancestry bias.....

Offenses by Crime Category

• There were 2,811 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against property. The majority of these (76.6%) were acts of destruction/damage/vandalism. Robbery, burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, arson, and other offenses accounted for the remaining 23.4% of crimes against property. ..{end quote)...

Keying a black person's car is a despicable enough crime, but I think we're looking for a higher threshold. Arson is pretty dang serious though.

- DSK

On 3/7/2021 at 3:51 PM, dfw_sailor said:

Its not so much the size, which your link illustrates, as the percentage, which it does not. 

does, too.  scroll up:

1 London United Kingdom ONS 2018 3,236,000[7] 36.4%
2 New York City United States 2016 ACS 3,200,219[8] 37.5%
4 Sydney Australia 2016 Census 1,961,977[9] 45.4%
5 Melbourne Australia 2016 Census 1,784,794[10] 41.3%
6 Los Angeles United States 2016 ACS 1,499,418 37.7%
3 Toronto Canada Canada 2016 Census 2,870,000[11] 49.0%
7 Madrid Spain 2019 Spain Census 726,669 22.2%
7 Houston United States 2016 ACS 698,395 30.3%
8 Brisbane Australia 2016 Census 682,132[12] 33.2%
9 Chicago United States 2016 ACS 559,623 20.7%
10 Montréal Canada Canada 2016 Census 570,940 34.3%

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Burning Man said:

My landlords got redlined out of the first house they wanted to buy.  1958.  Took 'em 'till '91 to be able to buy in a better neighbourhood. In time for the grandkids, if not the kids.

They're millionaires, as-is, which just makes you ponder: how much more could this family have accomplished, if they hadn't been redlined? 

Blacks because they would lose their excuse to have the bar set lower, be unable to play the race card and be treated the same and allowed to fail the same as everyone else.  

Dude.  Do you hear yourself?

• Like 5

Thanks @frenchie. That same line of Jeff’s struck me as well. 

The other one was how America would pay blacks reparations just so they would “shut up” once & for all.

Not sure how Jeff would say that in policy, but it sounds akin to giving tribes casino licenses in order to complete the deal where they lose fertile lands in exchange for poor health care, no jobs and an arid landscape that can never be farmed. Oh, and now states allow online gambling.

But America hasn’t systematically reduced the wealth of racial groups since slavery. (As long as you don’t consider significant the economic impact of lynchings, redlining, the War on Drugs, sporadic torching of black enclaves, Jim Crow era policing, environmental racism & voter suppression). 

The whole reason for reparations, IMO, is for all Americans (especially racially ignorant whites) to acknowledge how devastating the lasting impact of structural racism has been to our nation has been, and how expensive it would be to allow such written & unwritten policy to persist.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Raz'r said:
12 hours ago, Burning Man said:

A good primer for those who want to educate themselves.

Not.jpg

1 hour ago, phillysailor said:

Thanks @frenchie. That same line of Jeff’s struck me as well. 

The other one was how America would pay blacks reparations just so they would “shut up” once & for all.

Not sure how Jeff would say that in policy, but it sounds akin to giving tribes casino licenses in order to complete the deal where they lose fertile lands in exchange for poor health care, no jobs and an arid landscape that can never be farmed. Oh, and now states allow online gambling.

But America hasn’t systematically reduced the wealth of racial groups since slavery. (As long as you don’t consider significant the economic impact of lynchings, redlining, the War on Drugs, sporadic torching of black enclaves, Jim Crow era policing, environmental racism & voter suppression). 

The whole reason for reparations, IMO, is for all Americans (especially racially ignorant whites) to acknowledge how devastating the lasting impact of structural racism has been to our nation has been, and how expensive it would be to allow such written & unwritten policy to persist.

I would view it as an allocation of capital that has been earned but not allowed to accrue, or be retained.

Post-Reconstruction stories of freed slaves working hard, buying farms, then having banks (white owned of course) repossess them, or local law offices just shred their deeds... so black people started banks and other businesses... burnt down and destroyed, along with many of their homes, in the post WW1 nation-wide race riots... "Black Wall Street" of Durham NC was one such casualty... fast forward another generation and you have the televised violence of the 1950s/60s, which mostly focused on individuals and protestors, but included at least as much property crime as today.... then on to today, where we have several thousand per year of black peoples' cars or homes being damaged or destroyed for no reason other than racial hatred.

Reparations would not stop it, unfortunately. Getting it out in the open, making sure that our whole society condemns it thoroughly, and punishing the crime justly.... hopefully it decreases a little, generation by generation.

But reparations would restore the economic loss

- DSK

11 hours ago, Mark K said:

OK, that was probably a bit more hyperbole and snark than I intended.  I was in a rush.....  I was thinking more along the lines of this: https://www.goodto.com/family/worst-baby-names-290543 but couldn't think of any on the fly.

Who the fuck would be cruel enough to name their kid "Merika"?  Or "popcorn"?  Jurnee?  Tractor?

I have lady who cuts my hair on the base barbershop whose name is "Unique".  She's a sweet woman, but she's not unique.  Just saying.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I understand redlining just fine.  But that's not what Steamer is talking about.  He said "destruction of property" as in white's destroyed black property.  Redlining did not destroy anyone's property.  

5 hours ago, frenchie said:

My landlords got redlined out of the first house they wanted to buy.  1958.  Took 'em 'till '91 to be able to buy in a better neighbourhood. In time for the grandkids, if not the kids.

Again, redlining is not "destruction" of property.  Don't change the subject to try to help doug out of his hole.  

5 hours ago, frenchie said:

Many Black leaders Blacks because they would lose their excuse to have the bar set lower, be unable to play the race card and be treated the same and allowed to fail the same as everyone else.  

Dude.  Do you hear yourself?

FTFM.

Yep, I hear myself just fine.  Shame you didn't quote the whole thing though.  But let me rephrase that a bit as it's not totally fair to paint all or even most blacks with that brush.  I had in mind the blacktivist leaders who thrive and profit on the division and acrimony - not every day black folks trying to go about their lives.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

FTFM.

Yep, I hear myself just fine.  Shame you didn't quote the whole thing though.  But let me rephrase that a bit as it's not totally fair to paint all or even most blacks with that brush.  I had in mind the blacktivist leaders who thrive and profit on the division and acrimony - not every day black folks trying to go about their lives.  

They just the counterparts of the Proud Boys and RaHoWa crowd, except that they don't advocate violence against whites just for being white. Hey, if whites can do it, why can't blacks? Your own logic.

Also, waiting for an explanation that isn't just kvetching, on the subject of why other peoples names are up to you to judge

- DSK

33 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I don't deny there has been significant economic loss.  But do you really think reparations would restore it?  What's the price tag?  I doubt the real number is even achievable.  And while we're at it - we might as well break out the checkbooks for reparations to the Native Americans, the Mexicans, all the countries in C. America, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, etc.  When will it ever end?  The reality is in SJW world - it does never end.  

Should we apologize for slavery?  Of course we should.  Should we strive to do better as a nation for everyone?  Of course we should.  But we can't undo the past and there is no amount of money that is going to change it.  The best we can do, IMHO, is to recognize and admit our mistakes, apologize for it and move on vowing never to let that happen again while trying to make a race a complete non-issue.  

9 minutes ago, Burning Man said:
52 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I don't deny there has been significant economic loss.  But do you really think reparations would restore it?  What's the price tag?  I doubt the real number is even achievable.  And while we're at it - we might as well break out the checkbooks for reparations to the Native Americans, the Mexicans, all the countries in C. America, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, etc.  When will it ever end?  The reality is in SJW world - it does never end.  

Should we apologize for slavery?  Of course we should.  Should we strive to do better as a nation for everyone?  Of course we should.  But we can't undo the past and there is no amount of money that is going to change it.  The best we can do, IMHO, is to recognize and admit our mistakes, apologize for it and move on vowing never to let that happen again while trying to make a race a complete non-issue.  

Would making race a "non-issue" mean that having a different kind of name is not seen as negative?

But you're still carrying a tremendous chip about "SJW world" which apparently threatens you.

Can reparations restore economic loss for black families? No, if it were all totalled up, it would probably exceed the national net worth. But it can bring the economy towards a more fair balance

- DSK

Would making race a "non-issue" mean that having a different kind of name is not seen as negative?

Has nothing to do with race.  I'm just observing and reporting on human nature.  A kid named Shaquanda, Jermajesty or Reignbeau is just as "life limiting" a name as Mhavryck, Dolphin or Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii.

AFAIC, name your little rugrat whatever the hell you want...... just don't be surprised when they get beat up in school or get passed over on a job application.  If you're a celeb making millions of $$ and your kids will never have to work a day in their lives in the normal world - have a nut.  But if not - you're adding unnecessary barriers to their lives that are not needed when they will likely have enough as it is.  It's not right, it just is.  

9 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

To update: Everything on FOX is Cancel Culture aka Daily Outrage. Here Burnet Downe continues with either guns or white privilege.

It never ends.

You mistake my amusement or mild disdain for outrage.  

16 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Has nothing to do with race.  I'm just observing and reporting on human nature.  A kid named Shaquanda, Jermajesty or Reignbeau is just as "life limiting" a name as Mhavryck, Dolphin or Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii.

AFAIC, name your little rugrat whatever the hell you want...... just don't be surprised when they get beat up in school or get passed over on a job application.  If you're a celeb making millions of $$ and your kids will never have to work a day in their lives in the normal world - have a nut.  But if not - you're adding unnecessary barriers to their lives that are not needed when they will likely have enough as it is.  It's not right, it just is.  

Well, let's be clear. Fred and Tom and Jerry are fucking cartoon names. Nobody named Fred (or it's long form, however you want to spell it) or Tom (or Thom or Thomas) or Jerry (ditto) should be allowed into college. They're for cartoons, and people with those names are cartoon people who will only bring mockery and disrepute on the institution... right, Jeffreaux?

- DSK

10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, let's be clear. Fred and Tom and Jerry are fucking cartoon names. Nobody named Fred (or it's long form, however you want to spell it) or Tom (or Thom or Thomas) or Jerry (ditto) should be allowed into college. They're for cartoons, and people with those names are cartoon people who will only bring mockery and disrepute on the institution... right, Jeffreaux?

- DSK

Whatever you say, Dougreaux.

25 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

You mistake my amusement or mild disdain for outrage.  

And yet again you excel at jumping to conclusions - the outrage is on FOX, guns and white privilege would be on you.  Like I wrote, it never ends

2 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

And yet again you excel at jumping to conclusions - the outrage is on FOX, guns and white privilege would be on you.  Like I wrote, it never ends

I don't watch fox..... so have no clue in the slightest what you're going on about.  

39 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

I don't watch fox..... so have no clue in the slightest what you're going on about.  

Note to self: when mentioning or responding to BM limit content to one thought per post.

3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

What price tag? I know you want to pretend that any reparations need to be paid from current budget, but it could EASILY be paid for by a one-time asset tax. An asset tax would be much more aligned as well, as what we're talking about is a systemic reduction in the black-minority community wealth. $100k/person would be roughly 5T. Household wealth is about $98T. And it wouldn't be $100k/person, means tested, etc

16 hours ago, Burning Man said:

You just pulled that totally out of the nether regions of your wazoo. It is an old racist trope. 

Provide some sources - not from Adolph. 

• Like 1

Can reparations restore economic loss for black families? No, if it were all totalled up, it would probably exceed the national net worth. But it can bring the economy towards a more fair balance

I think people misunderstand what is meant by reparations - I know for sure that BM does. 

Please understand that almost no one is talking about cutting checks to individual people. 

The funds would go to a range of community development projects - education, the arts, infrastructure, etc. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

I think people misunderstand what is meant by reparations - I know for sure that BM does. 

Please understand that almost no one is talking about cutting checks to individual people. 

The funds would go to a range of community development projects - education, the arts, infrastructure, etc. 

schooling...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

schooling...

Hey, now you're getting a little too enthusiastic. A lot of white people don't have that either. Republicans, for example.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Hey, now you're getting a little too enthusiastic. A lot of white people don't have that either. Republicans, for example.

yeah, sorry

@Burning Man  is remarkably ignorant for a person who claims to do a lot of reading, 

especially with respect to not knowing how whites have damaged blacks economically. 

FHA housing loans were one of the pillars upon which the middle class was constructed. 

Blacks were systematically excluded. 

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/526655831/a-forgotten-history-of-how-the-u-s-government-segregated-america

And in the news today, black farmers are still waiting for Ag assistance . . 

And all Lindsay Graham can do it play the white victim card - what a POS 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/usda-issued-billions-subsidies-year-black-farmers-are-still-waiting-n1245090

• Like 1
On 3/9/2021 at 6:37 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Hey @Burning Man   . . . 

Do you grasp that this is wildly offensive  ??  

Perhaps DeShawn and Sha'niqua's mother and/or baby daddy should have probably given more thought to the ramification of their kid's names if they didn't want them to be adversely affected in life.  I'm pretty sure if I named my kid "Adolf Hitler"

Jeff has no idea how stunningly racist he actually is.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

@Burning Man  is remarkably ignorant for a person who claims to do a lot of reading, 

especially with respect to not knowing how whites have damaged blacks economically. 

FHA housing loans were one of the pillars upon which the middle class was constructed. 

Blacks were systematically excluded. 

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/526655831/a-forgotten-history-of-how-the-u-s-government-segregated-america

And in the news today, black farmers are still waiting for Ag assistance . . 

And all Lindsay Graham can do it play the white victim card - what a POS 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/usda-issued-billions-subsidies-year-black-farmers-are-still-waiting-n1245090

He doesn't really want to read anything which challenges what he already knows. And he has puppy to housebreak.

3 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

He doesn't really want to read anything which challenges what he already knows. And he has puppy to housebreak.

Did he adopt Dog?

2 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Jeff has no idea how stunningly racist he actually is.

I don't think he is even conscious of it. 

He does grasp some progressive ideas so I am not as short with him as I am with those on the hard Reich.  

But I have faint hope that he will read the FHA and USDA articles I posted above. 

If he did, and understood just a part of it, he would not be able to make such dumb ass racist comments . .

9 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

I don't think he is even conscious of it. 

He does grasp some progressive ideas so I am not as short with him as I am with those on the hard Reich.  

But I have faint hope that he will read the FHA and USDA articles I posted above. 

If he did, and understood just a part of it, he would not be able to make such dumb ass racist comments . .

That's the thing, he isn't at all aware of it. He'll tell you he's color-blind, doesn't see color, and is one of the least racist people he knows. He was in the military FFS, right? That almost automatically means you aren't racist in some people's eyes.

He makes it clear he believes that black Americans CAN and DO have the same opportunities as white Americans, but they don't succeed because they won't start talking white, pick white slave names for their kids, straighten their hair, dress like white people, and eliminate all traces of their blackness to fit in with society.

5 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

He makes it clear he believes that black Americans CAN and DO have the same opportunities as white Americans, but they don't succeed because they won't start talking white, pick white slave names for their kids, straighten their hair, dress like white people, and eliminate all traces of their blackness to fit in with society.

And, most irritating of all, he thinks that black Americans and those who try to sympathize with their plight . . 

just want to be victims, or make them victims for our own nefarious purposes. 

That crap is right out of the most vicious Reich Wing play book. 

Grrrrr

AFAIC, name your little rugrat whatever the hell you want...... just don't be surprised when they get beat up in school or get passed over on a job application.

Oh have their name shortened in pretty much every Govt database because it is waaay too long to fit in the defined space, and nobody is going to change the field size just to cater to you.

BTDT got paid for it too.

Mind you I don't care or regard it as much of an issue - we've had to change things about because of the influx of migrants with 'different' names. It's made for a more interesting exercise in pattern matching which kept me entertained for a few months. Got to 95% or better auto-matching though so it was all good in the end.

Deliberately misspelt words for names make me roll my eyes and think the parents were likely fuckwits but I don't hold the child responsible for it.

FKT

5 hours ago, Raz'r said:

What price tag? I know you want to pretend that any reparations need to be paid from current budget, but it could EASILY be paid for by a one-time asset tax. An asset tax would be much more aligned as well, as what we're talking about is a systemic reduction in the black-minority community wealth. $100k/person would be roughly 5T. Household wealth is about $98T. And it wouldn't be $100k/person, means tested, etc

So who pays?  Do all whites pay by virtue of their skin color?  Or only those who had ancestors in the US in 1860?  Should all the Irish, Italians, and other white Euros who arrived having never owned a slave have to pay?  And to whom does the money go?  Only to ancestors of slaves.  All blacks?  Even the ones who arrived in the US well after slavery and even well after Jim Crow?  Seems like a mess.

10 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

So who pays?  Do all whites pay by virtue of their skin color?  Or only those who had ancestors in the US in 1860?  Should all the Irish, Italians, and other white Euros who arrived having never owned a slave have to pay?  And to whom does the money go?  Only to ancestors of slaves.  All blacks?  Even the ones who arrived in the US well after slavery and even well after Jim Crow?  Seems like a mess.

Of course it’s a mess. Was that laundry list of racism clean and tidy?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Pay everyone who asks $10,000,000 each.

All the native Americans should get double because of the long history of violated solemn treaties.

Don't be petty & obstructive.

FKT

14 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Pay everyone who asks $10,000,000 each.

All the native Americans should get double because of the long history of violated solemn treaties.

Don't be petty & obstructive.

FKT

$10M???  Does that include the numerous very wealthy black Americans CEOs, Actors, sports stars, etc?  Is Oprah or Lebron James going to get $10M if they ask?

What if I ask?  I'm absolutely sure I've got some african DNA in me somewhere.  Is there a skin shade cutoff point?  I could do with $10M myself for all the harm this systemic racism has caused me.  

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Deliberately misspelt words for names make me roll my eyes and think the parents were likely fuckwits but I don't hold the child responsible for it.

The Cubans are the masters of made up first names - just ask Marislisiss (sp ?) 

OK, that was probably a bit more hyperbole and snark than I intended.  I was in a rush.....  I was thinking more along the lines of this: https://www.goodto.com/family/worst-baby-names-290543 but couldn't think of any on the fly.

Who the fuck would be cruel enough to name their kid "Merika"?  Or "popcorn"?  Jurnee?  Tractor?

I have lady who cuts my hair on the base barbershop whose name is "Unique".  She's a sweet woman, but she's not unique.  Just saying.

You may have to live it to grasp it.  Funny thing around the world, slaves name their kids with grandiose names. It was even that way with the Aztecs. That is just what that is but beside the point, really. 

There are several aspects to this, One, people are going to find out sooner or later you aren't of the Master Race. This is the experience one comes to accept. No sense hiding it. Nothing worse than getting that job interview and recognizing the shock on the interviewers face which means the trip was a waste of time...and experience which really, really messes with your noggin, particularly with young noggins.  Two, there are a couple ways to deal with being of a low caste. That Atlantic article I posted was about the best explanation I've ever seen of the way we are talking about. That family sought to teach their kids to be proud of being themselves by not exposing them to white people and especially white people's BS. Worked out OK for that guy, did it not? Has his own column in the Atlantic. His predecessor wat Ti-Nahisi Coats. That way does work, when done right.  Thought behind this is you can't change so you GOT to be at least a little proud of it.  

All that said I get the point, with a white name at least you get in the room.