Starship SN 10 NOT DTS! Is Now DTS

Nice flight!  Even better landing!

Well.... It's DTS now.  Blew up about 5 minutes after landing. There was a fire after landing that looked to have extinguished itself.  But it blew.

Flames were seen coming from the aft skirt before landing, kept on after what was perhaps a harder than expected landing. Ship seemed to be leaning slightly.  The explosion lifted it up by about 100 feet. A methane leak in one of the engines is likely the culprit. 

However - a 95-97%? successful test. With a pretty much bullseye landing to boot. 

Looks like back to the drawing board on seals? Hasn’t that been a problem before, I seem to recall a Big Bang resulting in catastrophic loss of life and a long drawn out inquiry................hopefully history doesn’t get a chance to repeat.

2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Looks like back to the drawing board on seals? Hasn’t that been a problem before, I seem to recall a Big Bang resulting in catastrophic loss of life and a long drawn out inquiry................hopefully history doesn’t get a chance to repeat.

Sheesh, even I could have told them that monkeys are better than seals. Apart from the water difficulty, there’s the whole opposable thumbs thing.

• Like 3

The jump in progress launch SN9 to 10 is IMO impressive.... I'd be delighted to be involved and working on the program....

I have no doubt they will crack it!  Not sure I'd opt for the first human astronaut flight test however.... beta's and all that.... if I were 20 years younger... maybe!

New SpaceX acronym: 

Catastrophic Rapid Unplanned Disassembly (CRUD)

11 hours ago, atoyot said:

That looks not unlike some "experiments" out in the back yard. Maybe bigger.

Does kinda look like that Stainless BBQ that I launched when I left the propane on a wee bit too long trying to get that damn back burner to light. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

The jump in progress launch SN9 to 10 is IMO impressive.... I'd be delighted to be involved and working on the program....

I have no doubt they will crack it!  Not sure I'd opt for the first human astronaut flight test however.... beta's and all that.... if I were 20 years younger... maybe!

Remember prior to humans there will be dozen plus launches and recovery and relaunches to fill out the starlink network. 300 sats a launch.  It is how spacec is going to maintain the 12000 sats they want.  There are 10's of millions of people in the usa alone in rural areas a without good internet.  Every 10 million customers for starlink is 1.2 billion annually flowing into space x to continue developments.

Starship will succeed.  And then keep on succeeding. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peragrin said:

Remember prior to humans there will be dozen plus launches and recovery and relaunches to fill out the starlink network. 300 sats a launch.  It is how spacec is going to maintain the 12000 sats they want.  There are 10's of millions of people in the usa alone in rural areas a without good internet.  Every 10 million customers for starlink is 1.2 billion annually flowing into space x to continue developments.

Starship will succeed.  And then keep on succeeding. 

Two things Space-junk is a thing and.....Just think, they could actually improve the National IQ if they refused to carry Fox, Brietbart, Qanon and the God squad channels.

I know, I’ll just grab my coat on the way out.:ph34r:

And...... We’re back!

The fire was well established before landing, starting at the same time the two engines shut down for landing.  Only 3 of the 6 landing legs locked into place. SN10 ended sitting on a partially crushed after skirt. The fire probably weakened oxy bulkhead,  causing the explosion and second flight   

I really see the development from this test.  After landing it turned into an instant kit of many pieces. Easier to pack & distribute on Amazon.

• Like 1
On 3/5/2021 at 2:20 PM, Windward said:

Does it count as another launch?

Let's see....

As with all Starship test flights:

1. It was falling horizontally "with style".
  2. It was having problems with the engines.
  3. It ended in a huge fireball.

Yep, it's an official test flight. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I am betting it will land and everyone will be cheering only for a support leg to give out and then go boom as it falls over.

That would be win win.

Success launch, landing, and instant removal of the old rocket body from the pad.

I’m rooting desperately for SpaceX.  But... too many problems, too many interdependencies, and the engines aren’t mature enough.  Result is a highly complex, long risk chain... (serial miracles)... and a big boom.  

Hope I’m wrong.  

Vehicle re-use has been a holy grail for decades.  But I wonder if it's really such a great earth orbit paradigm. By the time we account for 2 lost crews and shuttles, the cost of the post accident investigations, the development costs for what seemed to me a Rube Goldberg worthy system of tiles and external tanks, retrieval and refurbishing, etc. would it have been more efficient to just launch the crews by conventional means?

Landing gracefully on your tail is hard to do.  Air force tried that with planes and it doesn't seem to have worked out well enough to operationalize.

Musk and team has a good record of figuring out these challenges. I like his style. Items built for specific tests each one pushing further into the unknowns. Like early rocketry they expect explosive failure. Recall that first Starship apparently built in a field with hammers and old sheetmetal? That is contrary to trying to design a very expensive ultimate solution in one go like the more entrenched old-time players try to do.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, El Borracho said:

Musk and team has a good record of figuring out these challenges. I like his style. Items built for specific tests each one pushing further into the unknowns. Like early rocketry they expect explosive failure. Recall that first Starship apparently built in a field with hammers and old sheetmetal? That is contrary to trying to design a very expensive ultimate solution in one go like the more entrenched old-time players try to do.

His strategy is certainly more crafted than, say a flat-earth limo driver out in the desert.  There as well were some successes and some failures.

With an apparently successful test firing Tuesday, the way is open to a possible SN11 test flight today (25Mar21) or tomorrow. 

After SN11 Does or Does Not have a CRUD, the next Starship in line is SN15, called a generational advance over the current crop of Texas Beaters.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:25 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

The explosion lifted it up by about 100 feet. A methane leak in one of the engines is likely the culprit. 

Damn.  Like everybody, I've had the occasional methane leak, but I've never flown even a foot in the air let alone 100 feet!

Come to think of it I had a couple of uncontrolled re-entries many years go as well.  That can be painful for sure!  

43 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Damn.  Like everybody, I've had the occasional methane leak, but I've never flown even a foot in the air let alone 100 feet!

Come to think of it I had a couple of uncontrolled re-entries many years go as well.  That can be painful for sure!  

Yeah butt, it's likely it was that TexMex methane. Powerful stuff. 

• Like 1

FAA cancelled today's (Monday 3/29/21) flight test. No word of a rescheduled time.  Supposedly, the Feds didn't have enough time to review SpaceX's application. 

Sounds like bullchit to me.

19 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

FAA cancelled today's (Monday 3/29/21) flight test. No word of a rescheduled time.  Supposedly, the Feds didn't have enough time to review SpaceX's application. 

Sounds like bullchit to me.

Perhaps they're just waiting for the cheesemonaut team's arrival?