Which team do you want to win the cup?

Which Team Do You Want To Win The Cup?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. OK, which team are you pulling for? Names kept private so any Kiwi traitors will be anonymous ;)

• ETNZ
    • LRPP
    • I'm a wanker/pussy and just want to see a good race, dont care who wins

OK besides the obvious Kiwis answer, which team will you be rooting for? I'm a huge ETNZ fan for many reasons but somehow might be OK with LRPP win. I'm conflicted :P

• Like 2

I just want to see good close competitive sailing. Action at the start and some God Damn Crew Maneuvers.

Something that was missing from the Prada Cup.

Foiling seems to denigrate all the above.

ETNZ. Yes I’m a fanboy but there are many reasons. 1) I think this could be a great way for Dalts to end his AC career on top. I also think this will be the last time Emirates sponsors the team. Dalton is one of the main reasons Team NZ was able to resurrect itself from not only 2003 but also 2007 and 2013. Emirates Airlines sponsorship was and is critical to ETNZs ability to be competitive. So a successful defence would be a great swan song for both Dalton and ETNZ. 2) A victory for NZ in the Covid era would be huge for NZ. At a time of uncertainty, doom and gloom around the world, an AC victory would certainly be a shining light. 3) It would prove Bermuda was no fluke, and 4) would be a great way to move the AC75 class forward into the future. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, kenergy said:

I will be on the water next sunday to see ETNZ win race 7 and take the cup. 

Lucky bastard! Have a great time.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Lucky bastard! Have a great time.

I was hoping to get out on Wednesday for race 1 and 2, but not to be, work calls. 

Luna Rossa because:

1. After 20 years of trying, now it's the closest we have ever been to win the auld mug.

2. This is without doubt the best team and boar LR has ever put on the water

3. I want LR to win to shut the mouths of all those who have been looking down on LR and us Italians, and as a payback against all the unsolicited disrespect LRPP has received over the course of this cup by press/ACE/some fans.

4. I want to hear Checco scream Forza Palermo once more, so loud i can hear him from the Netherlands.

5. Because all odds are against Luna Rossa, who is the David in this david vs goliath cup.

6. To see this forum melt down

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, AeroSail1 said:

Luna Rossa because:

1. After 20 years of trying, now it's the closest we have ever been to win the auld mug.

3. I want LR to win to shut the mouths of all those who have been looking down on LR and us Italians, and as a payback against all the unsolicited disrespect LRPP has received over the course of this cup by press/ACE/some fans.

4. I want to hear Checco scream Forza Palermo once more, so loud i can hear him from the Netherlands.

5. Because all odds are against Luna Rossa, who is the David in this david vs goliath cup.

Love #6 :D - if you guys can win it will be something very special & will be so deserved. I just can’t wait for it to start!!

14 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Love #6 :D - if you guys can win it will be something very special & will be so deserved. I just can’t wait for it to start!!

Yeah, it would be special and well deserved but dammit I would cry like a baby. ;)

• Like 1

NZ, even if it means crappy viewing times again;-) 

more belief that they will Stay with the class instead of changing it again even though Prada have said that they would stick with 75 I just don’t quite trust them plus the nationality rules that would be thrown out with  Alinghi being COR. Not to mention the ridiculous shit fight and cries of foul play as billionaires queued up to strip NZ and we just can’t be bothered to Listen to all that again. 

I think NZ have an opportunity to bring some stability to the cup process if they win and that can only be a good thing from an evolution perspective of the boats as well as participation

I don't think anyone in LRPP or ETNZ is thinking of changing the rules. They both have a significant advantage in terms of simulator which they can keep for the next cycle (as they would always be one development step ahead). Plus stability in the rules may bring more challengers so it is better from a commercial standpoint which is really the key.

My hope is for a repeat of LV cup 2007 with a truckload of challengers, be it in Auckland, Italy or somewhere else in the globe should GD shop the venue

ETNZ, if they are good enough to deserve the win. 

Having said that, I think going back to Europe wouldn't be a bad thing for the Cup.

• Like 2

LR. I don't care for the Cup itself, (my woodworker with 30.000 lire could build a better one) but they should win for Tina. :D

• Like 2

Defo the handbags.... as the odds of me being able to watch the next cup play offs around Palermo/Aeolians is way more likely than schelpin' all the way down to NZ.

(Mutant SARS variant bugs, aside....) 

Forza Italia!

sicile-copie_SA.jpg.5162c5e96cc0c826a16933e3d8dca8e2.jpg

• Like 3

With all the Euros wanting it back that way for their viewing convenience, ETNZ should go to NYSC to get the "sail to the venue" clause stretched to encompass spectators...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, zillafreak said:

OK besides the obvious Kiwis answer, which team will you be rooting for? I'm a huge ETNZ fan for many reasons but somehow might be OK with LRPP win. I'm conflicted :P

Same here. 

• Like 1

1891439386_ScreenShot2021-03-05at6_32_21PM.thumb.png.5ca072e5416ee868aa889a23035fdf94.png

So to the 4 wanker/pussies who dont care who wins, I'll bet you do end up favoring one or the other at some point. Got to. It might take a race or two but you'll end up wanting one or the other to some degree. Same when I watch a football game that doesnt have my team in it. But losing doesnt hurt as much...

I was a firm supporter of ETNZ, but after they started shopping the venue around I am a wanker that does not care if it goes or stays.

Actually might be better if it goes because under LRPP/ Artemis it is more likely to be the transparent bitch fight between millionaires it has always been. Seems more honest that way.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, kiwispirits said:

I was a firm supporter of ETNZ, but after they started shopping the venue around I am a wanker that does not care if it goes or stays.

Actually might be better if it goes because under LRPP/ Artemis it is more likely to be the transparent bitch fight between millionaires it has always been. Seems more honest that way.

Agree. 

And I'd rather go to Cagliari than to Dubai, RAK or Abu Dhabi. 

New Zealand on the other hand is on top of my bucket list, so... 

I honestly think that some of the best, spectacular and compelling America's Cups ever, have occurred when Team New Zealand were challengers. That's why I hope they can come to Cagliari as strong as they usually are. And maybe TNZ needs fresh energy, since frankly speaking, the idea of shopping the venue outside the country and far from their exceptional supporters sounds terribly wrong.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:41 PM, AeroSail1 said:

Luna Rossa because:

7. Because their boat is fast, easy to sail, and has a team that can win starts and tactically hold off a faster boat if required..

Spittal is a better AC sailor the kiwi 

30 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Agree. 

And I'd rather go to Cagliari than to Dubai, RAK or Abu Dhabi. 

New Zealand on the other hand is on top of my bucket list, so... 

Don't bother. . it's over rated, expensive, full of crime, earthquakes and a huge and ever increasing " government sponsored under class'.

• Like 1
On March 4, 2021 at 2:00 AM, kenergy said:

I was hoping to get out on Wednesday for race 1 and 2, but not to be, work calls. 

People actually work in NZ?

Luna Rosa , because after 20+ years of effort and support, it would be an emotional and well earned win

ETNZ because Team Ineos GBR would be CoR and ETNZ+Ineos would put together a great 37th

Luna Rosa because it would encourage challengers demonstrating that you dont win on first attempt but persistence  pays   off

ETNZ because the Burling/Ashby/Tuke is the dream team that deserves to win

LR because we want the cup to circulate to different hosts and different geographies

ETNZ because I fear LR want to return to something more traditional and the AC 75s are awesome.

Argh voted for a good race........but I want these boats or something similar next time and I like the idea of Team UK as challenger

• Like 1

Love to see a Kiwi win - the team has the best young talent and a culture that puts winning ahead of entertaining its rich owners.  The entire team is only there to win - love or hate GD - he protects the rest of the team so they can out work everyone else without distraction.   They really are an outlier in the modern AC world.  

8 hours ago, CerveloR5 said:

People actually work in NZ?

No! We get paid to play most of the time - we try to keep our priorities right

15 hours ago, strider470 said:

I honestly think that some of the best, spectacular and compelling America's Cups ever, have occurred when Team New Zealand were challengers. That's why I hope they can come to Cagliari as strong as they usually are. And maybe TNZ needs fresh energy, since frankly speaking, the idea of shopping the venue outside the country and far from their exceptional supporters sounds terribly wrong.

I suspect it’s merely to establish a price. 

1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

I suspect it’s merely to establish a price. 

Agree. But it's not fair towards the supporters

2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Agree. But it's not fair towards the supporters

I don’t think it will actually go anywhere so the support can enjoy. 

1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

I don’t think it will actually go anywhere so the support can enjoy. 

That is yet to be seen ;)

14 hours ago, cbulger said:

Love to see a Kiwi win - the team has the best young talent and a culture that puts winning ahead of entertaining its rich owners.  The entire team is only there to win - love or hate GD - he protects the rest of the team so they can out work everyone else without distraction.   They really are an outlier in the modern AC world.  

WTF!... ETNZ entertains it's rich owners alright!

GD ( multimillionaire) is the owner of ETNZ along with two other multi millionaires.

They are no different to any other team .. except a big portion of their money comes from 2 billionaire's from italy and USA.

Emirates are just a major sponsor.

2 hours ago, Team Prada said:

WTF!... ETNZ entertains it's rich owners alright!

GD ( multimillionaire) is the owner of ETNZ along with two other multi millionaires.

They are no different to any other team .. except a big portion of their money comes from 2 billionaire's from italy and USA.

Emirates are just a major sponsor.

Everyone has sponsors - but the other teams have owners - when’s the last time you saw a kiwi sponsor on a platform with a mic speaking for the team?

5 hours ago, cbulger said:

Everyone has sponsors - but the other teams have owners - when’s the last time you saw a kiwi sponsor on a platform with a mic speaking for the team?

Every night on TV..  google steven tindal, ex Warehouse. NZ. A director of ETNZ. 

He is an owner and big contributor.

23 hours ago, Team Prada said:

Every night on TV..  google steven tindal, ex Warehouse. NZ. A director of ETNZ. 

He is an owner and big contributor.

Again - I get that the team has sponsors and that the Warehouse is one of them - but the team is not a hobby of Steven Tindal and he has not appeared in any TV or sailing media that has made it to my screens in the US - I doubt he has any say over who is on the boat or any other matter effecting the sailing.

This relationship is very different from a campaign that exists at the whim of one donor - which is the case for the other teams.

31 minutes ago, cbulger said:

Again - I get that the team has sponsors and that the Warehouse is one of them - but the team is not a hobby of Steven Tindal and he has not appeared in any TV or sailing media that has made it to my screens in the US - I doubt he has any say over who is on the boat or any other matter effecting the sailing.

This relationship is very different from a campaign that exists at the whim of one donor - which is the case for the other teams.

It's a little more than that..

"he has had a long association with Emirates Team New Zealand having backed the team for more than 15 years. Since he was appointed Chairman of the Board of Directors he’s been directly involved in the team’s management."

But granted, your point that the team does not operate to the whims of one billionaire is true... it might be one of the reason's for their longetivity and relatively consistent performance...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cbulger said:

Hello. .  It's a hobby of Grant Dalton!

It's a hobby of Emirates

It's a big hobby of mateo de Nora...

https://www.sail-world.com/Australia/The-mystery-backer-of-Team-NZ/-31407?source=google

It's now a hobby of gabe newell and American tech billionaire...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tvnz.co.nz/news/story/JTJGY29udGVudCUyRnR2bnolMkZvbmVuZXdzJTJGc3RvcnklMkYyMDIxJTJGMDElMkYyNCUyRmRhbHRvbg==

In fact ETNz if a bigger slut to billionaires than any other team

40 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

But granted, your point that the team does not operate to the whims of one billionaire is true... it might be one of the reason's for their longetivity and relatively consistent performance...

And it takes an awful lot of effort to manage all of the relationships but it does provide independence. 

39 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

But granted, your point that the team does not operate to the whims of one billionaire is true... it might be one of the reason's for their longetivity and relatively consistent performance...

I think that's pretty much right on the money where a single powerful person calling the shots is less likely to listen to the wise counsel of other well-informed people. Even Michael Fay showed some of these traits. However, Kiwis in general tend to work for the collective good, no matter what field of endeavour.

I bet a Aussie will win the cup...

Either

Spittal 

Or Ashby...

Both are huge influences in their teams success.... And skippers.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:42 PM, Team Prada said:

7. Because their boat is fast, easy to sail, and has a team that can win starts and tactically hold off a faster boat if required..

Spittal is a better AC sailor than the kiwi Burling 

Seems about right.

Wanker / pussy here. Just can't decide.  The sponsors ( all three ) are shitty companies intent on raping the world for profits.  Handbags less damaging than 787s though so  ETNZ worst on that count AND sponsored from Dubai which is a shit heap run by bastards.

My own country no longer represented ( not that I think much of my country right now ) so no nationalistic bias.

So Luna Rosa?  Trouble is they have Spithill at the helm.. a man who takes joy in forcing penalties, would be happy to win in the court room and who isn't very Italian; and I do have a soft spot for NZ which is being sailed by actual New Zealanders and has the most techie looking boat ( those skinny foils ..phwoar ).

So evens, sadly.  And frankly the racing after the pre start is a bit dull ... Not much boat on boat and very little action or drama to get your heart racing.  50knts is exciting on paper, but it looks so smooth on the telly, they could be racing solos. All hydraulics and computers.  Cant help but wish they were racing 18fters in a good blow.

The Video and telemetry footage is stunning though.

8 hours ago, NickA said:

Wanker / pussy here. Just can't decide.  The sponsors ( all three ) are shitty companies intent on raping the world for profits.  Handbags less damaging than 787s though so  ETNZ worst on that count AND sponsored from Dubai which is a shit heap run by bastards.

My own country no longer represented ( not that I think much of my country right now ) so no nationalistic bias.

So Luna Rosa?  Trouble is they have Spithill at the helm.. a man who takes joy in forcing penalties, would be happy to win in the court room and who isn't very Italian; and I do have a soft spot for NZ which is being sailed by actual New Zealanders and has the most techie looking boat ( those skinny foils ..phwoar ).

So evens, sadly.  And frankly the racing after the pre start is a bit dull ... Not much boat on boat and very little action or drama to get your heart racing.  50knts is exciting on paper, but it looks so smooth on the telly, they could be racing solos. All hydraulics and computers.  Cant help but wish they were racing 18fters in a good blow.

The Video and telemetry footage is stunning though.

Fair enough.
LRPP has Sputacollina, ETNZ has Ashby, I guess they are even on the expat sailors count.
After watching a few dozen AC races, including the challenger series, with tradtional monohulls, cats and the current foiling monohuls, I recall no more than a handfull of tight races.  Am I missing something or lopsided races with the starts deciding the outcomes have been the norm rather than the exception?

On 3/6/2021 at 10:23 PM, strider470 said:

...the idea of shopping the venue outside the country and far from their exceptional supporters sounds terribly wrong.

But possibly, financially prudent.

As far as ETNZ's continued legacy is concerned, a loss could be less damaging than a win, if past history is any sort of guide.

Besides, a few weeks in Sardegna sounds a better bet to me than the Middle East.

• Like 1

Obviously I would like to see the cup in Italy, however the only reason why I could accept NZ win is the Cup TV show coverage (Youtube) and management on water (with Tina's exception of course:D).

I mean the Italians would never match, at least at the beginning, such a brilliant management by indoor and outdoor commentators, equipment on boats and helicopters. Kiwi's have an edge on this. Ok, at times comments are trivial, but this cup edition in Italy was covered by non-experts (with a few exceptions), with no people on water, and worst of all, with the inability to understand on boat talk!

2 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Obviously I would like to see the cup in Italy, however the only reason why I could accept NZ win is the Cup TV show coverage (Youtube) and management on water (with Tina's exception of course:D).

I mean the Italians would never match, at least at the beginning, such a brilliant management by indoor and outdoor commentators, equipment on boats and helicopters. Kiwi's have an edge on this. Ok, at times comments are trivial, but this cup edition in Italy was covered by non-experts (with a few exceptions), with no people on water, and worst of all, with the inability to understand on boat talk!

I'm quite confident Bertelli would deliver a first class event and TV coverage. International commentators can easily and gladly fly to Sardegna :) And let's not forget Patrizio was  pushing for free streaming of the event since the beginning.

• Like 1

BTW, the shitty Sky Italia management removed the secondary (original language) audio audio track, forcing me to adopt the Youtube channel to survive! Using Chromecast to play the matches on TV screen. Thanks to Patrizio for this!

BTW I appreciate the AC commentators team

4 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

BTW, the shitty Sky Italia management removed the secondary (original language) audio audio track, forcing me to adopt the Youtube channel to survive! Using Chromecast to play the matches on TV screen. Thanks to Patrizio for this!

BTW I appreciate the AC commentators team

I use the audio from D'albertas youtube channel.

Ganga Bruni presence is priceless

23 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

I don't see why Italy couldn't present a good AC. The country has a lot of experience of hosting major sports events and is strong in event management. Italians know how to put on a show! As Strider says, these events are international now. In fact Circle-O, the company responsible for the broadcast production and race management technology for this AC, is a joint German / Austrian company.

• Like 3

For Italy and our always struggling sailing movement it would be a historic opportunity. At the moment it's still only a dream. Let's see what happens.

TNZ no question, especially with rumours of Prada and Bertarelli being pals. Don't want Gollum back in the game.

• Like 1
On 3/4/2021 at 5:40 PM, Forourselves said:

ETNZ. Yes I’m a fanboy but there are many reasons. 1) I think this could be a great way for Dalts to end his AC career on top. I also think this will be the last time Emirates sponsors the team. Dalton is one of the main reasons Team NZ was able to resurrect itself from not only 2003 but also 2007 and 2013. Emirates Airlines sponsorship was and is critical to ETNZs ability to be competitive. So a successful defence would be a great swan song for both Dalton and ETNZ. 2) A victory for NZ in the Covid era would be huge for NZ. At a time of uncertainty, doom and gloom around the world, an AC victory would certainly be a shining light. 3) It would prove Bermuda was no fluke, and 4) would be a great way to move the AC75 class forward into the future. 

T

I find myself rooting for TNZ to win, on an emotional level, they just chime more with how, to me, a high performance team should work, plus Ashby is a legend.  Would love to see another European cup, though, like Valencia before fucking fucktard LE fucked it for everyone.  So happy either way.  Wanker.