Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Very rare beast.....

only six made.... I and a group of friends bought one in 2012 and restored it.

great little boat for racing, it’s still doing well on Toronto far our out of QCYC.

Hope one of the present owners sees this and chimes in....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2021 at 11:47 PM, AVALANINIA said:

Yes

for the price , why not,  you could probably recoup your money on the trailer it comes with..    though brownsville is a long ways away from anywhere, even in texas ...  make sure you have the trailer inspected before driving any distance..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have one as Tripper Dave said. We picked it up for a song and have successfully campaigned it for a number of years. I've also done some family cruising with her.

I could talk your ear off about what we've learned. What do you want to know?! 

Short version, she's a great day sailor and club racer.  In low to moderate wind I'd suggest crew of two. In higher wind three is ideal (Jib/foredeck, mainsheet, and helm). 

One of the nice things about this boat is that she will turn on a dime, so that makes for fun tactical sailing if you like tangling with other boats!

Ask away if you have questions!

-Tay

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, TayMoss said:

Yes, I have one as Tripper Dave said. We picked it up for a song and have successfully campaigned it for a number of years. I've also done some family cruising with her.

I could talk your ear off about what we've learned. What do you want to know?! 

Short version, she's a great day sailor and club racer.  In low to moderate wind I'd suggest crew of two. In higher wind three is ideal (Jib/foredeck, mainsheet, and helm). 

One of the nice things about this boat is that she will turn on a dime, so that makes for fun tactical sailing if you like tangling with other boats!

Ask away if you have questions!

-Tay

do you have the fugly safety lines and bow pulpit still on your boat?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sonars are great boats but I would look for a Kirby 25. Faster, more reasonable rating, foam cored deck so no moisture issues but less comfortable cockpit.  And enough cabin for a couple todo a weekend.  I raced one for several years and had more fun than on any of the many otherboats I'v been through.  Either way you'll have as much fun as you would on a dinghy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we kept those. Honestly never thought about removing the pulpit though it would make sense to do so! Also , the two winches on the sides of the cabin top are really not necessary.  

One modification we did make was to replace the outboard bracket with something much more substantial with an integrated spring for pulling the motor out of the water. We also added Lazy jacks to make dealing with huge main easier.

-Tay

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TayMoss said:

Yes, we kept those. Honestly never thought about removing the pulpit though it would make sense to do so! Also , the two winches on the sides of the cabin top are really not necessary.  

One modification we did make was to replace the outboard bracket with something much more substantial with an integrated spring for pulling the motor out of the water. We also added Lazy jacks to make dealing with huge main easier.

-Tay

is it fun to sail?  does it sail like a dinghy?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, commotion said:

Sonars are great boats but I would look for a Kirby 25. Faster, more reasonable rating, foam cored deck so no moisture issues but less comfortable cockpit.  And enough cabin for a couple todo a weekend.  I raced one for several years and had more fun than on any of the many otherboats I'v been through.  Either way you'll have as much fun as you would on a dinghy.

there's a reason OP is asking about the 23, is it might be a great deal depending on the condition of the boat...  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2021 at 3:02 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

is it fun to sail?  does it sail like a dinghy?   

Oh, yes, it's a blast. Yes, it's like a dinghy. Very responsive and can actually race in more than 20 knots of wind if you play the main sheet to manage heel.

Here is one of my favorite racing videos from out boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqm-fxtwIU&list=PLQWpuh3X6s1ViWCTuxgmzj6p92TCyQ44o&index=1

Here's a 360 Degree VR video that will give you another taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYnRk1PsXw

 

-t

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TayMoss said:

 

Here is one of my favorite racing videos from out boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqm-fxtwIU&list=PLQWpuh3X6s1ViWCTuxgmzj6p92TCyQ44o&index=1

 -t

nice,  it looks like your lifelines are shorter..

Quote

it looks like you could use some more leech line tension on the jib....

it looks like there aren't any battens...   

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a fellow who raced one of these to Hawaii.  Had to put a sugar scoop on transom to make length.  Lost his rudder and finished in a very distant position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2021 at 1:03 AM, Crash said:

Hey there Tay,

Neat videos.  In both races, it looks like you could use some more leech line tension on the jib....

Yeah, that Jib is long gone from us now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Kirby 23 was Bruce’s answer to the J 24. Essentially a Sonar hull, with a MORC interior. She has a slightly taller fractional rig with a longer boom. About 20 years ago, Bruce Kirby told me that he was hoping to combat the J22 and/or J24 as a one design, but after six or so hulls were popped out the manufacturer shit the bed on the project. 
 

I had a blast racing mine on Lake Erie back in the day. When I moved up in ‘95, I put mine in the shed where it didn’t see the light of day until last year when I give it to my 17-year-old. 
 

Oh, by the way, did I mention that I owned two of the six?

5A1D2C19-15D6-41FD-BCA9-6375912A45DE.jpeg

F3F113BA-99BA-4C15-8ED5-0C58FE047A16.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...