Very rare beast.....

only six made.... I and a group of friends bought one in 2012 and restored it.

great little boat for racing, it’s still doing well on Toronto far our out of QCYC.

Hope one of the present owners sees this and chimes in....

• Like 1
On 3/6/2021 at 11:47 PM, AVALANINIA said:

Yes

for the price , why not,  you could probably recoup your money on the trailer it comes with..    though brownsville is a long ways away from anywhere, even in texas ...  make sure you have the trailer inspected before driving any distance..

• Like 1

Yes, I have one as Tripper Dave said. We picked it up for a song and have successfully campaigned it for a number of years. I've also done some family cruising with her.

I could talk your ear off about what we've learned. What do you want to know?! 

Short version, she's a great day sailor and club racer.  In low to moderate wind I'd suggest crew of two. In higher wind three is ideal (Jib/foredeck, mainsheet, and helm). 

One of the nice things about this boat is that she will turn on a dime, so that makes for fun tactical sailing if you like tangling with other boats!

Ask away if you have questions!

-Tay

48 minutes ago, TayMoss said:

Yes, I have one as Tripper Dave said. We picked it up for a song and have successfully campaigned it for a number of years. I've also done some family cruising with her.

I could talk your ear off about what we've learned. What do you want to know?! 

Short version, she's a great day sailor and club racer.  In low to moderate wind I'd suggest crew of two. In higher wind three is ideal (Jib/foredeck, mainsheet, and helm). 

One of the nice things about this boat is that she will turn on a dime, so that makes for fun tactical sailing if you like tangling with other boats!

Ask away if you have questions!

-Tay

do you have the fugly safety lines and bow pulpit still on your boat?

Sonars are great boats but I would look for a Kirby 25. Faster, more reasonable rating, foam cored deck so no moisture issues but less comfortable cockpit.  And enough cabin for a couple todo a weekend.  I raced one for several years and had more fun than on any of the many otherboats I'v been through.  Either way you'll have as much fun as you would on a dinghy.

Yes, we kept those. Honestly never thought about removing the pulpit though it would make sense to do so! Also , the two winches on the sides of the cabin top are really not necessary.  

One modification we did make was to replace the outboard bracket with something much more substantial with an integrated spring for pulling the motor out of the water. We also added Lazy jacks to make dealing with huge main easier.

-Tay

7 hours ago, TayMoss said:

Yes, we kept those. Honestly never thought about removing the pulpit though it would make sense to do so! Also , the two winches on the sides of the cabin top are really not necessary.  

One modification we did make was to replace the outboard bracket with something much more substantial with an integrated spring for pulling the motor out of the water. We also added Lazy jacks to make dealing with huge main easier.

-Tay

is it fun to sail?  does it sail like a dinghy?   

8 hours ago, commotion said:

Sonars are great boats but I would look for a Kirby 25. Faster, more reasonable rating, foam cored deck so no moisture issues but less comfortable cockpit.  And enough cabin for a couple todo a weekend.  I raced one for several years and had more fun than on any of the many otherboats I'v been through.  Either way you'll have as much fun as you would on a dinghy.

there's a reason OP is asking about the 23, is it might be a great deal depending on the condition of the boat...  

On 3/9/2021 at 3:02 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

is it fun to sail?  does it sail like a dinghy?   

Oh, yes, it's a blast. Yes, it's like a dinghy. Very responsive and can actually race in more than 20 knots of wind if you play the main sheet to manage heel.

Here is one of my favorite racing videos from out boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqm-fxtwIU&list=PLQWpuh3X6s1ViWCTuxgmzj6p92TCyQ44o&index=1

Here's a 360 Degree VR video that will give you another taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYnRk1PsXw

-t

18 hours ago, TayMoss said:

Here is one of my favorite racing videos from out boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqm-fxtwIU&list=PLQWpuh3X6s1ViWCTuxgmzj6p92TCyQ44o&index=1

-t

nice,  it looks like your lifelines are shorter..

it looks like you could use some more leech line tension on the jib....

it looks like there aren't any battens...   

There was a fellow who raced one of these to Hawaii.  Had to put a sugar scoop on transom to make length.  Lost his rudder and finished in a very distant position.

On 3/11/2021 at 1:03 AM, Crash said:

Hey there Tay,

Neat videos.  In both races, it looks like you could use some more leech line tension on the jib....

Yeah, that Jib is long gone from us now.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Kirby 23 was Bruce’s answer to the J 24. Essentially a Sonar hull, with a MORC interior. She has a slightly taller fractional rig with a longer boom. About 20 years ago, Bruce Kirby told me that he was hoping to combat the J22 and/or J24 as a one design, but after six or so hulls were popped out the manufacturer shit the bed on the project. 

I had a blast racing mine on Lake Erie back in the day. When I moved up in ‘95, I put mine in the shed where it didn’t see the light of day until last year when I give it to my 17-year-old. 

Oh, by the way, did I mention that I owned two of the six?

5A1D2C19-15D6-41FD-BCA9-6375912A45DE.jpeg

F3F113BA-99BA-4C15-8ED5-0C58FE047A16.jpeg