• <=19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50-59
    • 60-69
    • 70-79
    • >=80
  2. 2. How many years have you been in SA?

• 0-1
    • 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6-7
    • 8-9
    • >=10

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/30/2021 at 10:00 PM

41 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

How do we know it's anonymous?

There's a flag to check when you create the poll. In fact if you click on the poll results here you can't get any details about the votes. Try the same thing in the prada winner team poll, for instance,  and you will see who voted whom

4 hours ago, The Main Man said:

How strange, I was thinking about this just earlier today thinking it seems to be populated by grumpy old buggers! :D

Shut up you young whipper snapper! :D

• Like 2

@MaxHugen
and the other in the performance comparison topic.

Can we infer any correlation between these graphs and the integral of the lift component of a Tfoil in light winds during full (red) moon? Asking for a friend. :D

20210306_201412.thumb.jpg.54f39b79d09c38333cd856284009f600.jpg

Just boosted  the second to bottom age group a d the longest member group....bloody hell I had to check but it's been 17 years of reading ba, lies, bullying and abuse......but loving it.

But another 17 years could pushing it.

• Like 2

Surprised there are 50% of us who have voted who have been on here over 10 years.  Doesn’t seem like there are that many of us. Then I remember some have changed their names a couple times.  

I started posting on here just prior to Act 11 or 12 for AC32.  Seems like an eternity ago.   Not a lot has changed though.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Surprised there are 50% of us who have voted who have been on here over 10 years.  Doesn’t seem like there are that many of us. Then I remember some have changed their names a couple times.  

I started posting on here just prior to Act 11 or 12 for AC32.  Seems like an eternity ago.   Not a lot has changed though.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Yes, me too. I have changed my name a few times but always with ‘Stingray’ in it. 

The last time I bothered to look, only one poster had an overall-SA post-count higher than my combined-account SAAC posts, I’d be a touch embarrassed by that number... which is why I ever changed names :D 
Two of the times, I changed at exactly 24,999 just for fun. 

• Like 1

74 this year but trying to grow old disgracefully.  Depending on who you talk to, I could be a grumpy bugger or if it's my wife, she'll tell you that it's like living with a 5 year old :D

IMG_1894.JPG

• Like 7
  • Downvote 1
7 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

I could be a grumpy bugger or if it's my wife

Why discriminate? It's probably BOTH of you :lol:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Why discriminate? It's probably BOTH of you :lol:

Spot on :lol: :angry:

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Haha, just checked and it's 17 years today, it's my SA Anniversary.

Congratulations! I'm a relative toddler at about 9 years.

On 3/7/2021 at 1:38 AM, The Main Man said:

How strange, I was thinking about this just earlier today thinking it seems to be populated by grumpy old buggers! :D

Damn straight! ;-)

I'm just getting started.

On 3/7/2021 at 5:47 AM, Mozzy Sails said:

Not old enough to buy my own jumpers :(

Ha. Too funny. 

22 minutes ago, strider470 said:

What makes me wonder is only 3 people under 30! Maybe they're just shy :D

Too engrossed in the instant gratification of social media that makes their phone vibrate every 3 minutes. Plus too many grumpy old buggers here. Snowflakes.

3 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Too engrossed in the instant gratification of social media that makes their phone vibrate every 3 minutes. Plus too many grumpy old buggers here. Snowflakes.

3 minutes?? More likely 30 seconds :D

1 hour ago, Woolfy said:

There's nothing wrong with being a grumpy old bastard. It makes life easier.

Except for those around you.

As my wife says "I'm old, and I can do and say what I want!"  And she means it.

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

What makes me wonder is only 3 people under 30! Maybe they're just shy :D

Same number under 40 as there are between 70 and 79.  That doesn't bode well for the sport in the long run.

10 minutes ago, accnick said:

As my wife says "I'm old, and I can do and say what I want!"  And she means it.

Your wife is right.

I've been saying the same ever since I was 2-3 years "old".

1 minute ago, accnick said:

Same number under 40 as there are between 70 and 79.  That doesn't bode well for the sport in the long run.

I suspect the audience they  are trying to  capture  nowadays with these new short and dynamic formats is different from me. It seems you can't get people attention for more than a few minutes. I never get bored watching a race in the old boats, there were 1000 details to follow. But I like these new races too. They are different and entertaining in a different way, but I would not say better. Ok, I'm getting old :)

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

I'm not:(.

I don't think, Rennie was talking girth, Prissy. ;-)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Well Glenn can you either confirm or deny that Te Rehutai has been clocked at 65 knots... 

I keep telling you guys she will do 75 knots in reverse! :lol:

I only got as far as the fitness level question. Fuck all choice there, it has to be said. I didn't see one reference to "the couch".

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I only got as far as the fitness level question. Fuck all choice there, it has to be said. I didn't see one reference to "the couch".

I know! Where was the "arm curls with chips and beer" option?

• Like 1

FWIW, COVID + isolation = many shellbacks coming out from under the rocks and socks.

As Doug Coupland (author of Generation X) said, "a plague without wifi would be truly horrible"

On 3/6/2021 at 4:42 PM, GeeJay said:

74 this year but trying to grow old disgracefully.  Depending on who you talk to, I could be a grumpy bugger or if it's my wife, she'll tell you that it's like living with a 5 year old :D

IMG_1894.JPG

Holy sheeeit. I'm looking at getting my first bike this spring. Always wanted a bike, my chips are due. 

• Like 1

as old as me tongue and a lot older than me teeth .................

9 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Old enough to have young grandkids ask if I was around when there were dinosaurs. :blink:

Old enough to have grandkids who vote and drink call me Grumpasaurus.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Old enough to have grandkids who vote and drink call me Grumpasaurus.

I was a late starter with kids.

Was working on a theory that "practice makes perfect". :lol:

50 minutes ago, Jandals said:

Holy sheeeit. I'm looking at getting my first bike this spring. Always wanted a bike, my chips are due. 

Sailing, flying and riding motorcycles all pretty much use the same situational awareness skill set.  Do yourself a real favour and get some high quality training so that you can avoid sucking hospital food through a straw :D.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Sailing, flying and riding motorcycles all pretty much use the same situational awareness skill set.  Do yourself a real favour and get some high quality training so that you can avoid sucking hospital food through a straw :D.

There's a guy close by who does training courses. Naturally, I have to get my license. Then a bike. And some riding gear. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GeeJay said:

Being an ambulance officer, That is very good advice along with know your limits!

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Being an ambulance officer, That is very good advice along with know your limits!

I'm UK police roadcraft trained with the NZ Institute of Advanced Motorists (http://iam.org.nz/).  Best thing I ever did to raise my skillset. Funnily enough I've just taken a Pokeno-domiciled ambulance officer for his advanced motorcycle test.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

I was a late starter with kids.

Was working on a theory that "practice makes perfect". :lol:

My accountant calls them "units" $500k each keep practicing it's cheaper by far...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GeeJay said:

Soooo right!  I was extremely grateful for my training when my main parachute didn't open ("bag lock") at ~2500 ft, and I had to land on reserve chute in dense rainforest. :wacko:

Not that I would have needed a straw anyway...

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

I'm UK police roadcraft trained with the NZ Institute of Advanced Motorists (http://iam.org.nz/).  Best thing I ever did to raise my skillset. Funnily enough I've just taken a Pokeno-domiciled ambulance officer for his advanced motorcycle test.

Riding bikes is easy! My Dad put me on the seat and said pedal I will hold on to you, when I realised he was 100 yards behind I fell off.  But I had many very lucky escapes riding motorbikes with oil patches and motorists just not seeing me!  Defensive driving is the way.  We take far too many older (70+) kids to hospital with life changing injuries!!  Alcohol makes you make very bad decisions!   There ends the rave!!

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Riding bikes is easy! My Dad put me on the seat and said pedal I will hold on to you, when I realised he was 100 yards behind I fell off.  But I had many very lucky escapes riding motorbikes with oil patches and motorists just not seeing me!  Defensive driving is the way.  We take far too many older (70+) kids to hospital with life changing injuries!!  Alcohol makes you make very bad decisions!   There ends the rave!!

I must confess to fracturing a few ribs last year after coming a copper off my motorbike.

Those thick painted lines are a bitch in the wet and I have to admit to still being a bit of a hoon sometimes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

I must confess to fracturing a few ribs last year after coming a copper off my motorbike.

Those thick painted lines are a bitch in the wet and I have to admit to still being a bit of a hoon sometimes.

You Became a policeman by falling off your Motor bike?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The Q said:

You Became a policeman by falling off your Motor bike?

Oh, should learn to check for auto-correct.

Came a CROPPER!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Oh, should learn to check for auto-correct.

Came a CROPPER!

That was a hell of an arrest

9 hours ago, Kiwing said:

But I had many very lucky escapes riding motorbikes with oil patches and motorists just not seeing me!  Defensive driving is the way.  We take far too many older (70+) kids to hospital with life changing injuries!!  Alcohol makes you make very bad decisions!   There ends the rave!!

Learned those lessons the hard way, when I was young and extremely foolish.

Took up bikes again in middle age, got trained and licensed properly, and had enjoyable years of riding before "retiring" after too many encounters with drivers that simply don't see you. They can look right at you, then turn right in front of you.

Riding where I live now just isn't that interesting. Terrain is flat, roads are straight, motorists are crazy and have guns. The track doesn't interest me, as I have no delusions of grandeur.

Riding now is limited to small bikes when I visit friends in Bermuda. At least there they are used to bikers, who form more than half the traffic.