Happy Birthday David Gilmour

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

45 years ago I wandered through my neighborhood looking in the tree limbs and the sky, the clouds and the reflections from windows and the cars driving by.  This song had just reached our little burg (vinyl in those days) and I couldn't fathom how my little sister could choose to leave us....I didn't see her where I was looking nor anywhere else except the devastation in mom and dad's faces for weeks....  RIP Mary Ellen

23 minutes ago, warbird said:

45 years ago I wandered through my neighborhood looking in the tree limbs and the sky, the clouds and the reflections from windows and the cars driving by.  This song had just reached our little burg (vinyl in those days) and I couldn't fathom how my little sister could choose to leave us....I didn't see her where I was looking nor anywhere else except the devastation in mom and dad's faces for weeks....  RIP Mary Ellen

Warbird, sorry for your loss.  

In 2001, I had four work aquaintances (not co-workers, people in an office in the Pentagon I did work for) that died in the plane that hit the Pentagon.  It happened on a Tuesday morning, within days, a benefit concert was organized and televised from NYC.  During that concert two musicians, I don't remember who, played Wish you Were Here, and I lost it.  Tears running down my cheeks after the days of hearing human stories of loss.  I can't hear that song without thinking of the loss we all felt.  I was asked a day later to take a 54' stink boater from Lake Mich to Lauderdale and that trip allowed me to ignore the news.  

Dave Gilmour is one of my favorites.  Mark Knopfler is another.  Brothers in Arms is a favorite.   

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Dave Gilmour is one of my favorites.  Mark Knopfler is another.  Brothers in Arms is a favorite.   

There is no escaping the desertion...  I have 7 remaining siblings, we have all been shaped by that time.   My father was destroyed and we lost him 13 or so years later. A national tragedy is more and less devasating and we all feel that as a nation but less close than the friends and aquaintances. The anger must be intense.

Remember back in the 90s when Roger Waters had his hissy fit about who owned the band name and how David's music was "engineered" and not from the heart.

At the time Roger had his band basically on the same tour as Pink Floyd with about weeks between them at the same venues.

Roger wrote better lyrics but David kicked his fucking ass when it came to playing.  The following year Waters shows up with his Radio Kaos tour and Gilmour & company wiped the floor with them..

Seen him play about a dozen times, always mesmerized how he could pick the perfect note to follow the last one.

On his albums you can always hear his fingers working that guitar.

He stands up front on stage and makes sure the music is perfect.  Ensuring the vocals come in and fade out as he starts another riff.  No jumping around like some KISS idiot..

Once met the sound company head who set up venues for Pink Floyd, Frank Sinatra etc on a flight between SF and Sydney.  He said with PF, they show up the day before and work the sound company for hours to ensure everyone will get the best sound whereas the young bands just want the volume cranked to 11.

One of my top 4 (David, Mark Knopfler,, BB King, and Eric Clapton).

Watch him grow old and learn some tidbits about the man. Music picked could have been so much better...

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Roger wrote better lyrics but David kicked his fucking ass when it came to playing.  The following year Waters shows up with his Radio Kaos tour and Gilmour & company wiped the floor with them..

Who wrote the music?  No doubt David made the most of it.  Bernie Taupin was once asked if he received enough credit, he adroitly answered, people don't buy music for the lyrics.  Wish you were Here would be a fine song without Gilmour, but his playing as evidenced by the posted videos would not have been the same.  So who wrote the tunes?

58 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Remember back in the 90s when Roger Waters had his hissy fit about who owned the band name and how David's music was "engineered" and not from the heart.

At the time Roger had his band basically on the same tour as Pink Floyd with about weeks between them at the same venues.

Seen him play about a dozen times, always mesmerized how he could pick the perfect note to follow the last one.

On his albums you can always hear his fingers working that guitar.

He stands up front on stage and makes sure the music is perfect.  Ensuring the vocals come in and fade out as he starts another riff.  No jumping around like some KISS idiot..

Once met the sound company head who set up venues for Pink Floyd, Frank Sinatra etc on a flight between SF and Sydney.  He said with PF, they show up the day before and work the sound company for hours to ensure everyone will get the best sound whereas the young bands just want the volume cranked to 11.

One of my top 4 (David, Mark Knopfler,, BB King, and Eric Clapton).

Watch him grow old and learn some tidbits about the man. Music picked could have been so much better...

25 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Who wrote the music?  No doubt David made the most of it.  Bernie Taupin was once asked if he received enough credit, he adroitly answered, people don't buy music for the lyrics.  Wish you were Here would be a fine song without Gilmour, but his playing as evidenced by the posted videos would not have been the same.  So who wrote the tunes?

5 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I deal with depression and David has nursed me many, many times. He and Loreena Mckennit can lift me from a dark place like no other.

Celebrate that the music hit our humanity...

• Like 1

Happy Gilmour?.....

I first saw them in the early '70's in PVD. Part of the soundtrack of our lives. 

DG has never been considered fast or hot. What he is is one of the most tasteful guitarists who has ever played, never focused on a lot of notes, but on that perfect note, with perfect bend and vibrato. He emotes thru his instrument.

in recent years his charitable work, including the donation of many of his instruments, has put him at another level,  as @Midsaid in another thread "we're not worthy".

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

In 2001, I had four work aquaintances (not co-workers, people in an office in the Pentagon I did work for) that died in the plane that hit the Pentagon.  It happened on a Tuesday morning, within days, a benefit concert was organized and televised from NYC.  During that concert two musicians, I don't remember who, played Wish you Were Here, and I lost it.  Tears running down my cheeks after the days of hearing human stories of loss.  I can't hear that song without thinking of the loss we all felt.  I was asked a day later to take a 54' stink boater from Lake Mich to Lauderdale and that trip allowed me to ignore the news.  

C20, At the time I worked for a Def Contractor at the Army Materiel Command in Alexandria. We had a meeting scheduled in one of the new conference rooms along the wall that was hit by the plane. Thankfully, for us, that area was under going a renovation and the comms and a lot of the wiring had not been finished yet, so they rebooked us into another room on the other side of the building. that room had limited seating so our group was whittled down by a few seats. I ended up taking the day off anyway to go to court to evict a tenant from a rental property in southern VA... The Branch Chief(a guy named Vince) opted to stay in his Office at AMC-HQ( a few miles away in Alexandria).. a few days later I was back in the office talking to Vince and he told me he sat in his 8th floor window and watched the plane fly right up I95 and out of view before it crashed into the building. He thought it was unusual as he'd never before seen an airplane fly by his office window. None of the flight paths into Reagan follow that route. And the choppers from Quantico and other aircraft mostly follow the Potomac in and out of DC. One of my buddies who worked for Verizon lost 4 or his employees who were working on the comms install in those conference rooms...  

nothing to do with Gilmours bday I now, but ya popped a memory bubble about the puzzle palace 

46 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

C20, At the time I worked for a Def Contractor at the Army Materiel Command in Alexandria. We had a meeting scheduled in one of the new conference rooms along the wall that was hit by the plane. Thankfully, for us, that area was under going a renovation and the comms and a lot of the wiring had not been finished yet, so they rebooked us into another room on the other side of the building. that room had limited seating so our group was whittled down by a few seats. I ended up taking the day off anyway to go to court to evict a tenant from a rental property in southern VA... The Branch Chief(a guy named Vince) opted to stay in his Office at AMC-HQ( a few miles away in Alexandria).. a few days later I was back in the office talking to Vince and he told me he sat in his 8th floor window and watched the plane fly right up I95 and out of view before it crashed into the building. He thought it was unusual as he'd never before seen an airplane fly by his office window. None of the flight paths into Reagan follow that route. And the choppers from Quantico and other aircraft mostly follow the Potomac in and out of DC. One of my buddies who worked for Verizon lost 4 or his employees who were working on the comms install in those conference rooms...  

nothing to do with Gilmours bday I now, but ya popped a memory bubble about the puzzle palace 

Thanks, you get it!

1 hour ago, Mid said:

A bit off in the weeds perhaps, but a few years ago we were back east for Xmas and my wife sent me off to a specialty lefty guitar shop to pick out my Christmas present. They had 2 Fender Custom Shop lefty strats, a Gilmore Black Strat and a Clapton Blackie, so i spent an hour or so A-B'ing them through a couple of different amps.

Athough they both have the maple necks I prefer on Fenders, the tones were quite different, the DG, perhaps obviously, gave effortless access to that soaring Pink Floyd sound, while the Clapton put his blues and "woman" tones at your fingertips. I thought the Clapton neck, a very soft vee, fit my hand better. I thought the bridge pickup sounded better on the DG, the neck PU on the Clapton is astonishing. 

Both strats, but very different guitars, even aside from the differently shaped necks. Clapton's has very different controls, only one tone knob, and that is far from standard, the other being used for a 12 dB active mid boost circuit powered by a 9v battery. 

I let her give me the Clapton, but really,really wish i could have both. 

• Like 2

Happy belated to Dave! :)

After years and decades with PF as a musical part of my life, I found this little gem on the DVD of the 1972 Pompeii concert.

... this pretty sums it up for me: musicality and playing dynamics.

The man became a legend but he sure started strong!

• Like 1
On 3/6/2021 at 8:56 PM, Autonomous said:

I deal with depression and David has nursed me many, many times. He and Loreena Mckennit can lift me from a dark place like no other.

The Mummer's Dance is an all-time favorite.  I wish I was better with words, alluring, mesmerizing, captivating?

5 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

The Mummer's Dance is an all-time favorite.  I wish I was better with words, alluring, mesmerizing, captivating?

That is the piece that put her on my map, Art Bell played it about a month after she was in town. Sorry I missed seeing her live.

She is a breath of fresh air in a landscape of cookie cutter Celtic performers. I don't have the vocabulary to describe her either though haunting belongs in the description in addition to your contributions.

A small part of her excellence is understand the history, extensive travels and range of the Celtic civilization. I really enjoy the Anatolian influence in some of her work.

Many of you that know our area (Greater Vancouver) we have 3 ski mountains, literally in our backyard, so I was a skier in my youth as night skiing after school was what we do. Dec - April. That said I worked on the rental shop up on Grouse Mtn. We'd get people in the film biz to come and ski. But also rock bands would start their North American tours in Vancouver and migrate to the east; or south. I was on shift at that the shop and we got a call from the bottom that a band was coming up to ski. Turns out it was Pink Floyd. So I set up there gear and show them where to ski for up to their abilities. After they headed out I thought it's a slow day really and it i hadn't had lunch yet so: "screw it!. I'll go out and ski with them." So I did. I ended up going up the chairlift with David Gilmour 3 times! I was a budding pro freestyle skier and David was gentle soul and he was more interested my skiing then anything they were doing. In those days they weren't like Zep, Stones etc but how would I know it would be the Darkside of the Moon world tour. We had cocktail afterward ( an Ale or two with a bit of lime cordial in it - a pommie thing I guess!). I didn't even ask for tickets but I did keep their rental cards and duly signed. A great keep sake and I have them somewhere.          

4 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

I did keep their rental cards and duly signed.

they'll fund the grandkids education .

Seriously .

5 minutes ago, Mid said:

they'll fund the grandkids education .

Seriously .

Maybe. I'm not ready to sell them either. If I ever run into David again I think he'd remember me. A very intelligent guy and true gentleman. Well, with me anyway.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

"Pink Floyd is not walking through that door.."

for mine that's a good thing , extremely doubtful that a reunion would stand up against the original .

6 hours ago, Mid said:

for mine that's a good thing , extremely doubtful that a reunion would stand up against the original .

Beatles reunion?  Need two more bullets!  I didn't appreciate Prince's skills, other than for humping a basketball on stage until I saw this video.  The look and smile on George Jr is classic.  This song is a classic.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mid said:

Very True.  Years ago, Eric Clapton was quoted as saying "I listen to some of my work from 20-30 years ago and I honestly do not know how I did that. "

A couple years ago I saw Robert Cray play in Boston as lead to Kenny Wayne Sheppard.  He was a feeble broken down old blues man with about 6 minutes of brilliance.  Such a fall from grace when he was in his prime and could make a guitar sing all night like nobody's business.  Or the time he was the warm up band for Eric Clapton and came out to do a set with EC and Phil Collins on drums.  What Saturday nights will sound like in heaven in 20 years..   But those days are gone for poor Robert.

And in 2019 when the Doobie brothers played warm up band for Carlos Santana.   There was a tour that never should have happened.  Nobody was even listening to songs they sang along to daily while commuting to work in the 70s and 80s.   Amazed they tried to tour as a 50 year reunion last year.  

You have to know when to walk away.

Then again, when I saw Mark Knopfler, it was hard to believe that old bald fat man was blasting out Sultans Of Swing note for note and his voice in perfect pitch.  "That can't be him.." but it was and the years have not diminished his talent though age has pounded his body like the rest of us.

As the venues open up this summer, you all should get out to see these folks.  And take your kids.

In 15 years the greats of Rock & Roll will all be worm food.

• Like 2
On 3/14/2021 at 9:01 AM, Foreverslow said:

Then again, when I saw Mark Knopfler, it was hard to believe that old bald fat man was blasting out Sultans Of Swing note for note and his voice in perfect pitch.  "That can't be him.." but it was and the years have not diminished his talent though age has pounded his body like the rest of us.

I'd forgotten about him until the movie 'Wag the Dog' and knew it was him.  Like Hendrix (a God), the bald fat guy made it his own.

9 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Then again, when I saw Mark Knopfler, it was hard to believe that old bald fat man was blasting out Sultans Of Swing note for note and his voicein perfect pitch

image.thumb.jpeg.5737c794b7e06aaee86656ced37680e3.jpeg