Zingaro Sinking off Curacao - Live

23 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

#1. Shut up and bail.

That would be breaking the YouToooober rule of monetizing and over-dramatizing everything.

First set up the camera on the action, and bail while providing dramatic commentary. 

• Like 1

His bilge pump looks like a little diaphragm type pump. Super low capacity. Better as a shower drain...

Put your phone down and bail. Get your engine going; use it's salt water pump as a pump. Bail with a bucket.

• Like 1

That's a "nuisance" water bilge pump.

My manual says the Jabsco will do 40 Litres/min 8.9 gallons/min at 1500rpm. Better bail harder. 

12 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That would be breaking the YouToooober rule of monetizing and over-dramatizing everything.

First set up the camera on the action, and bail while providing dramatic commentary. 

The old "Bail and Flail" routine. Really a half-assed job, at best. 

And his steps are delaminating already? :blink:

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Put your phone down and bail. Get your engine going; use it's salt water pump as a pump. Bail with a bucket.

Left it too late, batteries flooded & it wouldn’t start. He asked for a battery from CG. 

From the brochure of another offshore cruiser builder:

"The large fuel and freshwater tanks and the heavy battery bank are all strategically located low and central in the yacht for excellent weight distribution."

Can seawater flooded 12V or 24V batteries operate submerged?

The positive aspect of this is that average youtube sailors would probably do great in the physical rehabilitation field for arm amputees, seing how they excell at using only one arm during demanding situations. 

Though he does not seem to use that phone-free arm all that well.

• Like 1

I believe a crew member was in the cockpit operating a manual bilge pump

he started the video after he had found the source of the leak and put a bung in it

he says it’s one of the new trudesign seacocks he fitted that broke, but I’m wondering in the confusion if it’s actually the thru hull for the transducer is at fault. Sometimes a sling or something can dislodge it while being lifted in or out

16 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

I believe a crew member was in the cockpit operating a manual bilge pump

he started the video after he had found the source of the leak and put a bung in it

He did, yes, and that good Will (huhuhu) is definitely pumping. It's just that I would set priority on helping Will lowering the water level and thus have a chance to do a more involved inspection. I might be old fashionned. Definitely boring.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The old "Bail and Flail" routine. Really a half-assed job, at best. 

And his steps are delaminating already? :blink:

I feel for the guy - very shitty situation.  But it’s pretty hilarious to be filming when you’re sinking.  And why subject yourself to the ridicule?  Well, I guess that’s where we’re at.

941CD927-7F71-49F2-91A8-C49AD75DF5D8.jpeg

6 hours ago, ChuteFirst said:

Can seawater flooded 12V or 24V batteries operate submerged?

Totally applicable or not, this makes an interesting read.  Came across it a couple of weeks ago.  Seems like only if/when (were talking lead acid batteries) the saltwater entered the cells?

The Terrifying Chemistry Behind Early Submarine Fatalities

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-terrifying-chemistry-behind-early-submarine-fatalit-1695244906

19 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I feel for the guy - very shitty situation.  But it’s pretty hilarious to be filming when you’re sinking.  And why subject yourself to the ridicule?  Well, I guess that’s where we’re at.

941CD927-7F71-49F2-91A8-C49AD75DF5D8.jpeg

I think they had stopped sinking by the Time the camera was turned on.

I will title my next film

How I stopped my boat from sinking

it will be about my use of captain tollys creaking crack cure on my dripping stantion base because left untreated for six months it would have sunk the boat    ..... eventually

D

47 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Totally applicable or not, this makes an interesting read.  Came across it a couple of weeks ago.  Seems like only if/when (were talking lead acid batteries) the saltwater entered the cells?

The Terrifying Chemistry Behind Early Submarine Fatalities

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-terrifying-chemistry-behind-early-submarine-fatalit-1695244906

That was my first thought  too. Cl2 is heavier than air and will settle and displace air while being extremely caustic. Probably not that big a deal with only a few cells in the bilge and a good breeze blowing through, but something to be aware of.

Also not a good idea having a non submersible pump in the bilge.

ETA... Hmmmm, I wonder now if the ladder delam he mentioned might be glue failure due to CL2 exposure? I can't imagine just an overnight soaking causing marine ply to fail.

The guy's a drama wanker who is going to use this to beg for more money on Patreon. I thought he was sailing with that poor girl he recruited? Must have bailed on him before the drama...

• Like 1

That’s a bit unfair I think, he prioritised replacing all seacocks and plumbing and documented it, looked properly done. And a lot of other work 

the transducer or log thru hull failing catches a lot of people out, often because of a lift sling popping it or a rope getting wrapped around it

id fault him for not having a manual old school Edson pump, but those are very expensive 

apparently was meant to be a short light air passage to fl to complete the refit

Just goes to show. The ocean will always expose the weakest link and then cause a failure cascade. Like how people expect neglected rigging to fail only in rough conditions, actually usually happens in light airs or flat calm

apart from another haulout and replacing batteries not sure what major costs he would have? Water didn’t go much above sole

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

That’s a bit unfair I think, he prioritised replacing all seacocks and plumbing and documented it, looked properly done.

Regardless of how diligent he's been on the prep, he's consistently used drama and T&A as Youtube devices.  Certainly not the first.

• Like 1

Electrolysis of seawater will release chlorine gas, as the H2 and  O2 go their separate ways and the remnant NaCl dissociates. Killed a bunch of Kriegsmarines in both world wars.

You can submerge a battery quite happily if it is sealed and the terminals made perfectly watertight.  Potted in a liquid rubber, perhaps? Another approach is to place the batts in a watertight compartment with grommeted cable penetrations, or to install them in a diving bell sort of arrangement that uses air to displace water from the terminals. The latter method is subject to failure if the boat is knocked down.

I don't really understand the whole youtube thing. Why send money to someone else so they can sail? Far more causes that to me, IMHO are more worthy, like feeding people, housing people and curing cancer. I suppose one could argue that you are just paying for entertainment.

So what are the take home messages:

1. Know the location of your through hulls like the back of your hand.

2. Small bilge pumps are essentially useless

3. Batteries and electrical pumps don't belong where they can get wet at first step of flooding

4. If you have one, then you have none - You must have redundancy!

• Like 4

watched the vid earlier,  he was saying that the floors where now trashed and would have to be replaced...  steps de-laminating.    gotta love the drama

i was wondering why he kept dumping the buckets into the cockpit, rather then a sinks...  granted the cockpit would drain faster,  but i guess not as much drama with spilling buckets while trying to hold the cell phone,  and scream  "fuck" as often as possible...

god..... why did I buy a boat?

I really wish that he was on a different boat.

I want him to sink and therefore shut up, but I don't want a pretty Holman&Pye-designed Oyster to sink.  If he was on some HunBenBavJanse thing, then I could cheer his demise with a clear conscience.

• Like 1

Watched this crowd funded circus anchored in Ecuador for a couple months. No surprise the catamaran fell apart on passage - it was falling apart at anchor. Pretty regular two AM cussing out of crew by captain over dramas with sinking dinghy, rig repairs (do you need to be stoned to work up your rig at anchor in the middle of the night?), and video recording/editing dramas. Really difficult to believe that enough people regularly watch these cruising "experts" to pay for them to continue to blunder along. Also amazed that real companies donate expensive equipment and expect returns from increased visibility. Bottom line, if you stay away from places that have enough bandwidth for this crowd funded army to spend 8 hours a day editing/uploading reality TV then you don't have to worry about rescuing them from sinking or being jolted awake in the middle of the night by cuss-fests over inexperience.

11 hours ago, leuk said:

The positive aspect of this is that average youtube sailors would probably do great in the physical rehabilitation field for arm amputees, seing how they excell at using only one arm during demanding situations. 

Though he does not seem to use that phone-free arm all that well.

Most of the amputees they work with will be vloggers who had their camera arm amputated by passing cars/road signs/anchor chains/bears while filming themselves.

Yeah, crowd funding, I get it.

I wonder how many of his tats were paid for by a total stranger?

31 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

He claims that standing in the bilge, the water comes up to his chest. Cool story bro.  

Metafiction

He’s having everyone on.  The whole thing is a show, like the Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz was...just...a shy and weak little man...behind a curtain twirling knobs and pushing buttons, trying to make us believe, but also simultaneously warning us about believing in things that seem too “good” to be true...

31A9FD91-3E04-4744-B324-EFC424689194.gif

If you're recording it "live," you're not really sinking. People who really think that their lives are in jeopardy drop the camera and get to work.

• Like 2
On 3/8/2021 at 10:18 AM, Israel Hands said:

The guy's a drama wanker who is going to use this to beg for more money on Patreon. I thought he was sailing with that poor girl he recruited? Must have bailed on him before the drama...

In the video he says of the CG and his companion  'They took the girl off the boat'.

So he's already forgotten her name.  

Isn't James also a regular poster here who lives on a boat in New Jersey? 

• Like 1

Turns out it was the speed transducer. You can see that in his diagram here from the video where he was replacing everything...

2098784212_ScreenShot2021-03-09at6_55_11PM.thumb.png.781921c625b536d75f95cd671061043e.png

How much are bilge alarms again?

20 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Turns out it was the speed transducer. You can see that in his diagram here from the video where he was replacing everything...

2098784212_ScreenShot2021-03-09at6_55_11PM.thumb.png.781921c625b536d75f95cd671061043e.png

How much are bilge alarms again?

What use is that if the clock is underwater?

gotta admit , making a utube vid would be about the last thing on my mind ...

• Like 1

Same issue almost sunk a Swan several years ago. Although it was in pretty snotty seas and came off wave and blew it out. About 18" of water in the boat on that one. It will be interesting to see what happened with this one since the conditions looked pretty benign. No flap-valve I guess.

12 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Plastic thru Hull.  What could possibly go wrong. 

Almost all knotmeters are plastic and rarely fail. 

Im sure this guy didnt ever check it since he bought the boat and it wasnt screwed all the way in  since it was put 
on the hard 3 years ago.

In other words - operator error 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Almost all knotmeters are plastic and rarely fail. 

Im sure this guy didnt ever check it since he bought the boat and it wasnt screwed all the way in  since it was put 
on the hard 3 years ago.

In other words - operator error 

Yah , I’ve never had a removable sensor fitting fail or pop out in heavy weather 

I reviewed the guys refit video, he is the classic dope head with a hammer 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Yah , I’ve never had a removable sensor fitting fail or pop out in heavy weather 

I reviewed the guys refit video, he is the classic dope head with a hammer 

Yes Zits, you have it right. 
He calls himself a ‘mechanic’ in his videos but if you watch his videos it’s clear he hasn’t a clue on anything mechanical. Even bleeding  the main engine was a horror show. Spent about 30 minutes trying to get air out of the  return line. Went up the mast on a single ratty halyard and snap shackle. But likely he can boil crack like a champ. Darwin is lurking in the shadows. 

Could easily been damaged in the slings of the lift.  Sling in the wrong place and there is a whole lot of weight on the DST.  could have cracked easily.  

Still not an excuse for not keeping that in control and being aware.

21 minutes ago, Dogscout said:

Could easily been damaged in the slings of the lift.  Sling in the wrong place and there is a whole lot of weight on the DST.  could have cracked easily.  

Yes since he's lived on the boat during this time and surely was there for splashing. His best draw was Kimmi; now that she's gone he's no more interesting than Gomer.

31 minutes ago, Dogscout said:

yes. normally people would have the paddle  wheel out and the slug in for hoisting. And would have the slug in when not sailing. Or in and out for cleaning, etc.

I wonder if the guy is even insured or just relies on the generosity and stupidity of his donors (which cannot be over estimated)?      

It also would be the first hull fitting a normal person would check when taking on water.  In his case it was the last. 

12 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

yes. normally people would have the paddle  wheel out and the slug in for hoisting. And would have the slug in when not sailing. Or in and out for cleaning, etc.

I wonder if the guy is even insured or just relies on the generosity and stupidity of his donors (which cannot be over estimated)?      

It also would be the first hull fitting a normal person would check when taking on water.  In his case it was the last. 

The speed sensor assembly that is  pictured is a  bronze  AT style commercial plunger unit ...with a shut off valve and cap 

expensive , requires maintenance but it’s foolproof if your read the instructions 

100EF1D9-4F4A-4458-BFBC-F09DC4A2B1DD.png

On 3/7/2021 at 2:13 PM, Ishmael said:

#1. Shut up and bail.

honestly, these youtubers blow my fucking mind. then again I'm not sure why I'm surprised. from what I've observed 90% of them are complete fucking idiots. 

Looking at various video's, it does seem like the speed (?) depth (?) through hull failed somehow. Until the release of actual pictures can't say anything more. However, this is an ideal example of why I recommend fitting the largest electric submersible pump possible in any boat. Zing's minimal "nuisance" water sized bilge pump failed as soon as it got washed by salt water, and it's output would have been low even before that. One crew taken out of repair action as he was (slowly) pumping manual bilge pump - he would have been more effective with a bucket. Was there even a bilge water alarm fitted?

4 minutes ago, longy said:

Looking at various video's, it does seem like the speed (?) depth (?) through hull failed somehow. Until the release of actual pictures can't say anything more. However, this is an ideal example of why I recommend fitting the largest electric submersible pump possible in any boat. Zing's minimal "nuisance" water sized bilge pump failed as soon as it got washed by salt water, and it's output would have been low even before that. One crew taken out of repair action as he was (slowly) pumping manual bilge pump - he would have been more effective with a bucket. Was there even a bilge water alarm fitted?

agreed. I have a 4000gph pump in my bilge and knowing it's there helps me sleep at night. also have a 3000gph pump and about 20 ft of house than I can drop where-ever needed. 

when the  bilge high water alarm sounds off , the Zingaro guy  only needs to stub out his joint , investigate and stop the inflow  then pump  the 50 or so liters from bilge 

easy 

3 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

when the  bilge high water alarm sounds off , the Zingaro guy  only needs to stub out his joint , investigate and stop the inflow  then pump  the 50 or so liters from bilge 

easy 

it's a youtube boat so you missed the "pull out my cameras and start screaming that we're doomed" step. 

But 

it’s a good lesson to readers about the value of bilge high water  sensors , tested regularly 

a boat that size may have several sensors to alert high water 

FEC2A3AF-D6A4-4775-88FB-B6926CB9865E.jpeg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Same issue almost sunk a Swan several years ago. Although it was in pretty snotty seas and came off wave and blew it out. About 18" of water in the boat on that one. It will be interesting to see what happened with this one since the conditions looked pretty benign. No flap-valve I guess.

Was that the Swan in the NARC Rally?  Only other time I've heard of this happening.

3 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

But 

it’s a good lesson to readers about the value of bilge high water  sensors , tested regularly 

a boat that size may have several sensors to alert high water 

FEC2A3AF-D6A4-4775-88FB-B6926CB9865E.jpeg

honestly I should install a multi compartment bilge alarm. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

He calls himself a ‘mechanic’ in his videos but if you watch his videos it’s clear he hasn’t a clue on anything mechanical. Even bleeding  the main engine was a horror show.

The guys a bit wacky, but I think you're being too harsh. He may not be a pro, but he knows WAY more about engines, systems, etc. than most sailors/cruisers out there. And he has done a pretty thorough job of working through the needed projects - which were a hell of a lot on this Oyster basket-case.

As for your last sentence - sounds good on a forum, but no. Remember, he replaced most every through-hull on the boat. And there were a million of them.

So, I won't defend him other than to say that overall I do think he's done a pretty good job with the work he's done on this boat. And I'll also give him and the chick credit for getting that disaster of a broken cat to safe harbor by tying it together Polynesian-style instead of hitting the button.

And a bilge alarm is a no-brainer. He probably learned that lesson.

(PS - Yes, that's the Swan I was talking about.)

• Like 4

Agreed

Find it odd how this forum worships Dylan winter for poorly shot videos of him crashing into rocks but as soon as someone under 50 with hair comes on the knives are out

As I said early on it was a log failure which can easily catch people out

He has a yt channel and after the situation was brought under control he films it? Shock horror. Lots more people are now more aware of this potentially dangerous issue, oh no

Lot worse out there

Like the Atticus couple. They were a relatable couple who bought a cheap Seawind, totally refitted her, worked v hard

And now they fake some damaged bulkhead drama, cry on patreon, grift like 200k and are off shopping for some Perry 42 footer they would never afford otherwise, complete with scripted sailing celebrity endorsements, I feel honestly sorry for them

Maybe not as bad as the latest Delos whereby they whinge about looking after a toddler on a luxury yacht though

Sometimes I wonder what that captain Alex guy would think of all this, see s to have had an outsized influence on ppl

I'd smoke a joint with James anytime, that said, I would wear my plb if I were crewing for him

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

Find it odd how this forum worships Dylan winter for poorly shot videos of him crashing into rocks but as soon as someone under 50 with hair comes on the knives are out

Speaking just for myself, I prefer KTL not because Dylan is a geezer of approximately the same generation as I, but rather because KTL is not about Dylan. It's about the places and the sailing/navigation. Most of the look at me youtube stuff is focused on the self absorbed raconteur ...none of whom have shown the wit or wisdom to catch my interest. Certainly Dylan features in KTL vids but my impression is his visage shows up a lower share of the vid than on most of bikini girl in hot places Patreon crowd.  

There are a range of younger narrators that I follow but in general I’d prefer their vids with even less of their face on the screen

• Like 2

it is a fair comment, and I would also add I have paid for several of his videos and like what he does. wish he would improve his actual filming and technical capabilities though, or else lean into really old school stuff and get an old Sony camcorder from the 90s

1 hour ago, robtoujours said:

it is a fair comment, and I would also add I have paid for several of his videos and like what he does. wish he would improve his actual filming and technical capabilities though, or else lean into really old school stuff and get an old Sony camcorder from the 90s

I'm not tracking here. Are you talking about Dylan?

The Swan videos above are from another sailing channel that was one of the first and I still think one of the best...

https://www.youtube.com/user/drakeParagon

I hyped him a bit on SN when he first got started because I came across a series of vidoes he'd done of a nightmare sail down to the Carib. He made tons of mistakes - was completely miserable - and was completely honest about it all. That was refreshing.  On that same trip, he ended up damaging his boat helping out a couple of complete chuckleheads on a decrepit steel boat (ChaCha?) who'd called a Mayday between blackouts. Good stuff. Not your typical fluff.

The past couple of seasons have had them sailing from North Carolina (?) up to Nova Scotia then Greenland and then over to Scotland where I think they still are right now. I think they are headed up to Norway next. It's certainly not exotic bikini sailing - it's just the real deal - and going places you never see.

I was lucky enough to meet Drake and Monique when they were in Texas. Great people.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, robtoujours said:

it is a fair comment, and I would also add I have paid for several of his videos and like what he does.

I happened to watch two of his videos when he got this boat, I don’t know anything about the channel’s history or his personality, buy I was interested in the Oyster. I remember thinking, “wow, that is a shit ton of thru hulls, and they are everywhere.”  He made at least one whole video on replacing them, it looked properly done, and this is what happens.

For all the talk about how wonderful the sailing community is and how people help each other, I gotta say, there are a bunch of jackasses on this thread taking the opportunity when his boat is sinking to call this guy a crack head and stupid and all that.  He’s an ex-Army vet that now wants to sail around and try to get laid. Good for him. This was his dream and his business and its sinking, and some keyboard warrior assholes want to jump ugly on him, where he’s going to read it. So he makes his living making sailing videos. So fucking what. How did you make your money? Are you so sure you have the moral fucking high ground? Fuck you. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

He’s an ex-Army vet that now wants to sail around and try to get laid. Good for him

On the same set of facts, it's equally valid to label him as an other gun-toting rat (who probably shot up poor divils in Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever) turned wannabe shagger who makes his money with a phoney high-drama hardman pose.

Take yer pick.

41 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

On the same set of facts, it's equally valid to label him as an other gun-toting rat (who probably shot up poor divils in Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever) turned wannabe shagger who makes his money with a phoney high-drama hardman pose.

Take yer pick.

OK.... ex-Army vet that now wants to sail around and try to get laid

• Like 2

At 00:34 the camera shows a manual bilge pump in a bilge bay. Un maned. WTF?   This guys biggest worry should be the bad tattoos and his receding hair line.  

• Like 1

He's an idiot.  No backup plates for the thru-hull so the nut fits flush, and no collars added to the Trudesigns.  That makes these plastic thru-hulls pretty vulnerable to an object hitting them and shearing them off.   

Trudesign thru-hulls are supposed to look like this with collars on them:

370b9bacca539420c8a2864d7dc7b720 full

7 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Take yer pick.

now this thread is really going places. gonna need some popcorn and a few beers for this. 

45 minutes ago, frozenhawaiian said:

now this thread is really going places. gonna need some popcorn and a few beers for this. 

You have to keep in mind that there's only ever been one single national military force that has always behaved with complete decorum and meticulously followed every one of the rules of war, and every item and term in every international treaty.

That's the Republic of Ireland.

FKT

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You have to keep in mind that there's only ever been one single national military force that has always behaved with complete decorum and meticulously followed every one of the rules of war, and every item and term in every international treaty.

That's the Republic of Ireland.

As FKT well knows, I make no such claim ... because it would be false.  No army ever follows all the rule, which is one of the reasons why they are all bad news.  (Tho some are worse than others).  But then deliberate misrepresentation is an established part of FKT's repertoire of tactics for bullying and smearing people he disagrees with.

My objection is to the militarists who spoil their posts with claims that army service is a good thing, or that it makes a better person.  There is nothing virtuous about being trained to mindlessly follow orders and to kill, or to salute flags rather respect human life.  There is nothing virtuous or respectable about joining organisations which participate in illegal wars and invasions, and which have history of massacres.

That applies whatever the army, but around here its mostly the US Army that gets this sort of praise, so it's mostly that one that I object to.  It's notable that the many Anarchists from other countries rarely feel the need to indulge in this sort of militarism.

• Like 1

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I paid for a few of Dylans videos. I'm sure Zingaro has plenty of patreons, though with an Oyster 485 he'll be needing them! 

Also why are people still banging on about the seacocks when it was the old speed log thru-hull that failed?

As for army mans, whatever. The US has a big propaganda machine to impress young people who are in a tough situation under a ruthless capitalist system, blaming the working class for taking a shot at free college is a bit generals fighting the last war imo

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Rain Man said:

He's an idiot.  No backup plates for the thru-hull so the nut fits flush, and no collars added to the Trudesigns.  That makes these plastic thru-hulls pretty vulnerable to an object hitting them and shearing them off.   

Trudesign thru-hulls are supposed to look like this with collars on them:

370b9bacca539420c8a2864d7dc7b720 full

That wasn’t what broke. 

8 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

James is a Navy vet.   Submarines.   Flame on

So does that mean he has more experience sinking things?

2 hours ago, Elegua said:

So does that mean he has more experience sinking things?

It probably means he gets more excited than most at the sight of water coming in.

5 hours ago, robtoujours said:

The US has a big propaganda machine to impress young people who are in a tough situation under a ruthless capitalist system, blaming the working class for taking a shot at free college is a bit generals fighting the last war imo

Sure, a stint in the US Army (or Navy or Air Force or Marines etc) is a poor American's chance of free college and free or subsidised healthcare through the VA.  Other countries provide both opportunities to all their citizens without requiring them to pick up a gun and invade other countries as their ticket to education and medicine.

That economic conscription is a very ugly choice, but taking that sort of deal doesn't absolve anyone of moral responsibility for their actions.  

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

It probably means he gets more excited than most at the sight of water coming in.

You'd think I'd make them more inured to it. 

I think this generalized fear of "plastic thru-hulls" is a bit over the top. From what I recall, today's CE-rated brass thru-hulls are rated for 5-7 years... primarily due to corrosion potential. This Oyster was showing corrosion (and/or complete seizure) on most of the ones he pulled.

If the plastic ones are installed correctly (e.g. - the collars should definitely be used in potentially problematic areas) - and you don't do stupid stuff like storing anvils and bowling balls right next to your fittings - they are actually a great solution, and affordable. And they meet ISO 9093-2.

I remember going 'round-and-'round on this with Brent Swain. If you think the only "strong" or "appropriate" material is metal, you might be Brent Swain.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I think this generalized fear of "plastic thru-hulls" is a bit over the top. From what I recall, today's CE-rated brass thru-hulls are rated for 5-7 years... primarily due to corrosion potential. This Oyster was showing corrosion (and/or complete seizure) on most of the ones he pulled.

If the plastic ones are installed correctly (e.g. - the collars should definitely be used in potentially problematic areas) - and you don't do stupid stuff like storing anvils and bowling balls right next to your fittings - they are actually a great solution, and affordable. And they meet ISO 9093-2.

I remember going 'round-and-'round on this with Brent Swain. If you think the only "strong" or "appropriate" material is metal, you might be Brent Swain.

if you think anything that can't be welded is useless...you might be Brent Swain.  OHHH fun!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Without going full Brent, it's still possible to lament that a reputable yacht builder like Oyster was churning out boats festooned with seacocks instead of centralising everything in a sea-chest

• Like 2
On 3/8/2021 at 8:03 PM, oysterhead said:

Watched this crowd funded circus anchored in Ecuador for a couple months. No surprise the catamaran fell apart on passage - it was falling apart at anchor

you are exaggerating quite a bit there, to say the truth

3 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I've got a mix of stainless and nylon reinforced plastic ones in my boat. All on fully welded flanges. I use a lot of the glass reinforced nylon fittings, they're lightweight, don't corrode and rated for pretty decent pressures in an industrial environment.

What I DO NOT have is brass, anywhere, for any purpose.

Bronze is fine. Brass is a truly idiotic choice for anything submerged in or having salt water running through it. The zinc dissolves and you're left with a weak lattice of copper.

FKT

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That’s not seamanlike.  You need a brass clock and brass barometer at the nav station or no one will take you seriously.

My eye sight is failing so when i read "you need a brass cock and an ass barometer" i was all like "fuck Jud, you need to keep that shit to your self son"!!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

What I DO NOT have is brass, anywhere, for any purpose.

Brass balls come in handy on a boat and in life. Brass balls and bronze women with plastic tits.

22 hours ago, Ishmael said:

As a submariner, I know I do.

21 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That’s not seamanlike.  You need a brass clock and brass barometer at the nav station or no one will take you seriously.

Yes, that's an added bonus.

FKT