J120 Chainplate / Bulkhead

I am considering purchasing a J120.  The chainplates have been leaking. What is the construction of the bulkhead on a J120? Fiberglass? Plywood?

I removed the lower chainplate bolt and the bulkhead appeared to be a hard solid material. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

It is cored, believe it is a closed cell foam. But if they are leaking then i suspect the core in the deck is also wet, which is balsa, so extra investigation should be conducted. Is this euro trash girl?

Thanks for the core info.

Yup. Euro Trash Girl. The deck is wet around the chainplate. I can fix that but I didn't want to get into a deck and major bulkhead repair. I have agreed to purchase her. Now I "just" need to get the rig taken down and get her shipped to Michigan.

Congrats!  Was there moisture in the bulkhead?  I don’t think the core was sealed at the top of the bulkhead so leaks could let water into the core.  

The bulkhead didn't appear to be wet using a moisture meter. I will know more when I get the boat here and I can remove the chainplates. If it is wet, it should dry out pretty easily. I will post an update when I get into it. The challenge now is getting the mast un-stepped and getting the boat shipped from Maryland to Michigan.

What yard is the boat in now?  Jabins?  If so, they should be able to pull the stick and put the boat on a trailer for you with no issue other than cost :P

If you need a rigger to help, reach out to Harney Rigging.  He is responsive, reasonably priced and should be able to get you set!  I know he does work on a lot of boats South of Annapolis.

• Like 1