I just saw that the Manhattan location of West Marine is no longer listed on their website.

Does anyone know more - is this a permanent closure, or is it temporary, Covid related, shutdown?

West Marine isn't perfect, and that Manhattan store was small with a limited selection, but I've spent thousands at that store picking up stuff that saved a weekend.

1 hour ago, PurpleOnion said:

Wasn't that originally Goldberg's Marine on 37th St?

It was on 37th, so that makes sense.

Literally saved so many weekends, kids lost a life jacket, dropped a block or something overboard,  marine tex epoxy for a quick repair, etc.  I don't even know where else you can find marine supplies in the city, maybe nowhere.

2 hours ago, PurpleOnion said:

Wasn't that originally Goldberg's Marine on 37th St?

The company was originally called "West Coast Ropes" and was located in Palo Alto, Ca.  

My dad shopped there when I was little.  :)

I still find some decent deals at WM.  They had the best price I could find on my Riptide-45.  

1 hour ago, Winston29 said:

I still find some decent deals at WM.  They had the best price I could find on my Riptide-45.  

Sure.

Recently I needed a 30 to 15 adapter. $72 at West. $52 at my marina boat store, $42 at my local comm'l outfit. That's fucked up.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

That's fucked up.

Well yes, sometimes they do suck, but sometimes they don't.  

It never ceases to surprise me when I find they're the cheapest game in town, but I take advantage of it when I do.  

11 hours ago, Winston29 said:

The company was originally called "West Coast Ropes" and was located in Palo Alto, Ca.  

My dad shopped there when I was little.  :)

Through the power of the Internet and a very boring call at work...

Goldberg Marine was started in Philadelphia.  Goldberg opened a store at 12 West 46th in Manhattan sometime in the 1960s.  When he sold to E&B Marine in the mid-80s, E&B moved the Manhattan store to 12 West 37th. West Marine merged with (acquired) E&B Marine in 1996.  Presumably, the Goldberg name on the 37th St store changed to West Marine some time after that and is why my aged brain recalled the Goldberg name for the location.

One of the more comical findings was this one from Spy magazine that, in 1989, had an article for suburbanites that moved into Manhattan, but wanted to behave like suburbanites.  A trend that reached epic proportions in the last decade.

https://books.google.com/books?id=iEcCF1ICLt8C&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=goldberg's+marine+12+west+37th+street&source=bl&ots=eyD3P97Nhr&sig=ACfU3U3ZfwFBNBi2_HrM_LiAoKcz_oIp_g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiE-PP-iKPvAhXUWc0KHehADoAQ6AEwBXoECAcQAw#v=onepage&q=goldberg's marine 12 west 37th street&f=false

My favorite quote: "For those of you who want to live where you can get ethnic food, but whose idea of ethnic food is a Domino's Pizza, who like the idea of cheap, fast public transportation, but insist on owning a car, who are attracted to quirky boutiques, but buy at Aca Joe, here is the Spy Map of Suburbanized Manhattan."

Some other links for anyone as bored as I was:

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/obituaries/20140504_Charles_Goldberg__91__marine_business_owner.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/08/03/realestate/postings-filling-a-gap-newcomer-on-46th.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/05/19/garden/where-to-find-it-nautical-accessories-for-ship-or-shore.html

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/west-marine-inc-history/

The last link includes West Marine's origin as West Coast Ropes.

I didn't understand a marine store 3 blocks from the Empire State Building until I owned a boat and, like others mentioned above, have had it save me when I needed things quickly and without having to rent a car or pay/wait for shipping.  Then it made sense, as did the fishing store a few blocks away on 36th between 6th and 7th.

1 hour ago, PurpleOnion said:

One of the more comical findings was this one from Spy magazine that, in 1989, had an article for suburbanites that moved into Manhattan, but wanted to behave like suburbanites.  A trend that reached epic proportions in the last decade.

https://books.google.com/books?id=iEcCF1ICLt8C&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=goldberg's+marine+12+west+37th+street&source=bl&ots=eyD3P97Nhr&sig=ACfU3U3ZfwFBNBi2_HrM_LiAoKcz_oIp_g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiE-PP-iKPvAhXUWc0KHehADoAQ6AEwBXoECAcQAw#v=onepage&q=goldberg's marine 12 west 37th street&f=false

Dallas BBQ is unfairly on that list.  (And just goes to show how some smart-aleck, ivy league grad, whom had moved to the city maybe two months prior to writing that piece, defined "urban").

About 20 years ago, as poor grad students, my now-wife and I would go for the "Early Bird Special" they had.  I want to say that it was a whole chicken and two bowls of chicken soup for 9.99, if you got there before 4 or 5 pm. 

1 hour ago, sailor-cfn said:

Dallas BBQ is unfairly on that list.  (And just goes to show how some smart-aleck, ivy league grad, whom had moved to the city maybe two months prior to writing that piece, defined "urban").

About 20 years ago, as poor grad students, my now-wife and I would go for the "Early Bird Special" they had.  I want to say that it was a whole chicken and two bowls of chicken soup for 9.99, if you got there before 4 or 5 pm. 

It was a sad day when that one closed in 2014.  It was their first and had been open since 1978.  My observation was that over the years, the customer base shifted from people in the neighborhood to be people who came in from other neighborhoods, but I could just be a non-ivy league smart-alek who liked their burgers.

13 hours ago, kevlar said:

West Marine?? We have one in NJ..

I'm not telling you where it is. 

It's Jersey, everyone knows it's next to Bada Bing.

35 minutes ago, egon said:

It's Jersey, everyone knows it's next to Bada Bing.

I thought it was next too Delia's Den?

2 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Is that near 4 Seasons Landscaping?

Could be 

Rt 35?

16 hours ago, Winston29 said:

Well yes, sometimes they do suck, but sometimes they don't.  

It never ceases to surprise me when I find they're the cheapest game in town, but I take advantage of it when I do.  

The only time I’ve noticed this phenomenon is when they are having say a seasonal sale on antifreeze or something like that.  The other place where there are “deals” are in their private labelling business, which you generally get what you pay for here.  For example, their bottom paint has almost no cuprous oxide.  The rest of the store is laughable when it comes to pricing. On top of that, lots of items are west marine badged, which instantly makes them undesirable. 

2 hours ago, jesposito said:

Close.  Down the road from the old Delilah's Den.  But that West is no more and they finally leveled the old Delilah's.

You need to come to Jersey more often Johnny.  Actually, on second thought, please don't.

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Is that near 4 Seasons Landscaping?

Ask Sail4Beer - he should know.

On 3/9/2021 at 8:55 AM, quod umbra said:

Thanks for the history..

Was not Goldberg's a Bliss Marine Store prior to becoming a West Marine Store?

I have an ancient James Bliss float coat!

On 3/9/2021 at 1:52 PM, jesposito said:

Between several boatyards too. Yeah.. they closed that one. Brilliant decision. Also closed the one near Raritan YC, and opened one up shoved next to a Shop Rite. At least I can go buy ham if I need to hit up West.