I am surprised no has taken an FT and spiffed it up with a make over and done a Transpac on it.  After seeing how well the Antrim did in the Islands race  it is going to be a boat to watch.  I still think a reinforced and preped  FT would do really well. Heck I did a Tpac on a Columbia  32.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tweaker said:

I am surprised no has taken an FT and spiffed it up with a make over and done a Transpac on it.  After seeing how well the Antrim did in the Islands race  it is going to be a boat to watch.  I still think a reinforced and preped  FT would do really well. Heck I did a Tpac on a Columbia  32.

you're a much braver man than I if you'd do a transpc in a boat with a lifting keel.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, f-bomb said:

Where is the trashed ft10 on the front page located, and is it for sale? Always looking for a cool boat to resurrect........

You would think a boat in that condition would be for sale.  It's at Lake Lanier Sailing Club outside of Atlanta, GA.  They have 3 FT's there one of which is pristine. 

It's my father's boat. It has been sitting on the trailer at Lake Lanier for a few years. He has been unable to sail for quite a while now due to health reasons. We had a lot of fun on that boat. We did the Ft Lauderdale to Key West (in 2008) and broke the mast in the middle of the night off Marathon Key when it was gusting in the upper 30's. We followed that up with 2008 St. Pete NOOD's in Pensacola and watched a new owner take delivery of their brand new boat the day of the regatta. Having never been on his new boat, he whipped everyones ass with a 1, 2, 7, 1, 5, 3, 1, 1, 6 to finish first in the regatta. We did a lot of racing on the west coast of Florida with a great group of other owners and sailers. I met a lot of great people I still call friends today because of that boat and I got to spend a ton of time with my Dad. The last big race we did was the 2011 North Americans. The former owner of another Tiger put the crew together and I ended up having to hold the tiller due to conditions being too rough for my old man. We finished 2nd. In all honesty, other than being dirty, the boat is not in bad shape. It hasn't seen the water in a number of years. My brother in law and I cleaned it up a couple of years ago, put a coat of wax on it, and put it back where it sits today. It's probably time to shine it up again. The sails and other random parts are sitting at my Dad's house. I think he even has an extra OEM rudder. I can't force him to sell it, and to be honest, I think he likes to just drive by and look at it. There is no price you can put on memories when it's a good day if you can even get up and walk. Someday it will be for sale. 

Thanks @Editor for bringing light to this.

• Like 33
  • Downvote 1
12 hours ago, tweaker said:

In the right conditions,  it would be a great boat. They are excellent otw boats, right up to about 25 knots of breeze. 

10 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

you're a much braver man than I if you'd do a transpc in a boat with a lifting keel.

I did  Tpac, Cabo, PV, Costal cup and Islands, etc,

13 hours ago, tweaker said:

The difference in build quality and materials between the One Off Custom Antrim and an FT are light years apart. Nothing similar about them other than they are both sprit boats.

Antrim did a phenomenal job on this one. Every detail is very well thought out and weight is to the absolute minimum on all systems. No winches for example, only snubbers , E6 rigging, High Modulus this and that. Conservatively speaking, you could probably buy at least 4, perhaps 5 used FT's for the price of a new Carbon Antrim.

The Columbia would be a great choice if you can find one... It's dry and comfy cockpit would be pretty plush. A weapon if updated and prepped properly with modern rags and a bombproof rudder. Still heavier than the FT10  but built/finished better across the board. FT would be a bit quicker but wetter.

Either way, both are fun boats since the bow pops up and the boat planes leaving most of your competition behind. Just don't race upwind.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fishwater said:

It's my father's boat. It has been sitting on the trailer at Lake Lanier for a few years. He has been unable to sail for quite a while now due to health reasons. We had a lot of fun on that boat. We did the Ft Lauderdale to Key West (in 2008) and broke the mast in the middle of the night off Marathon Key when it was gusting in the upper 30's. We followed that up with 2008 St. Pete NOOD's in Pensacola and watched a new owner take delivery of their brand new boat the day of the regatta. Having never been on his new boat, he whipped everyones ass with a 1, 2, 7, 1, 5, 3, 1, 1, 6 to finish first in the regatta. We did a lot of racing on the west coast of Florida with a great group of other owners and sailers. I met a lot of great people I still call friends today because of that boat and I got to spend a ton of time with my Dad. The last big race we did was the 2011 North Americans. The former owner of another Tiger put the crew together and I ended up having to hold the tiller due to conditions being too rough for my old man. We finished 2nd. In all honesty, other than being dirty, the boat is not in bad shape. It hasn't seen the water in a number of years. My brother in law and I cleaned it up a couple of years ago, put a coat of wax on it, and put it back where it sits today. It's probably time to shine it up again. The sails and other random parts are sitting at my Dad's house. I think he even has an extra OEM rudder. I can't force him to sell it, and to be honest, I think he likes to just drive by and look at it. There is no price you can put on memories when it's a good day if you can even get up and walk. Someday it will be for sale. 

Ivars, is a great guy.  Loved sailing with you at NA's in Pensacola that year.  Tell your Dad Lee says hi!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

The difference in build quality and materials between the One Off Custom Antrim and an FT are light years apart. Nothing similar about them other than they are both sprit boats.

Antrim did a phenomenal job on this one. Every detail is very well thought out and weight is to the absolute minimum on all systems. No winches for example, only snubbers , E6 rigging, High Modulus this and that. Conservatively speaking, you could probably buy at least 4, perhaps 5 used FT's for the price of a new Carbon Antrim.

The Columbia would be a great choice if you can find one... It's dry and comfy cockpit would be pretty plush. A weapon if updated and prepped properly with modern rags and a bombproof rudder. Still heavier than the FT10  but built/finished better across the board. FT would be a bit quicker but wetter.

Either way, both are fun boats since the bow pops up and the boat planes leaving most of your competition behind. Just don't race upwind.

No doubt a very cool boat. I look forward to seeing her results. The FT would be a budget weapon for TPac I think.  The Antrim put up impressive speed numbers on the lighter run into SD on the Islands race. She will be one to watch.  With lighter air speed VMG running a shorter course to HI will be the hot ticket depending on conditions.

1 hour ago, Editor said:

In the right conditions,  it would be a great boat. They are excellent otw boats, right up to about 25 knots of breeze. 

I agree. In higher winds you just reduce sail. Most FT’s don’t have offshore mains with 2 or 3 reefs. On the Hendo we used a whisker pole with 90% jib and double reefs and the Columbia we had a code 5  short hoist runner and double reefs above 20-25+ TW  and still had 20+ knots BS with awesome control. With the reefs in, the boats were easy to jibe in big wind even with split back stay/ runners.  Most people don’t realize that  the majority of the winds in TPac are lower  than 20knts.    A boat that cam plane in the light stuff can sail a shorter course closer to the high with greater VMG. Of course where they such is upwind no water line and small boat speed.

Where are the molds?  How much for a carbon version with a stiffer keel trunk and better thought out keel lifting system?   The boat was always fun to sail and more comfortable and roomy downstairs than it gets credit for.

• Like 2

well, that is where they were built. 

13 minutes ago, port tack said:

Damn, China owns everything :blink:

well, they were built there... it would be cool to do a carbon version, upgrade the shitty systems, deck layout, winches, etc. add a fat head main, make the sprit 3'-5' longer, maybe make the bulb a bit heavier and holy shit that would be a rocket.

• Like 6
  • Downvote 1
18 hours ago, f-bomb said:

Where is the trashed ft10 on the front page located, and is it for sale? Always looking for a cool boat to resurrect........

If you are interested in an FT10m, we used to have one here at Channel Islands Harbor (Calif) on a trailer for sale. I can check. The owner had it listed for quite a while but was asking too much. If it is still there I'm sure he would interested in negotiations.

I have a pair of FT10Ms on aluminum trailers that are available for sale. Asking $55,000 for both.

3 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

what kind of boat? 

All kinds but did a TPac on a Columbia 32 along with CoastalCup, PV, Cabo, islands and Esenadas. A couple of CC on a Henderson 30 and Ensenadas.

19 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

There's a Columbia Carbon 32 on a trailer at LLSC as well.  Blades on that thing are tiny.....

21 hours ago, Fishwater said:

That's tough but there are no great memories if there were never any great experiences!  Dirt comes off.  Just keep her dry and she'll provide a ton of fun for someone someday down the road.  Take care.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

As they should be. High aspect is the modern way. Everything else is drag.

It just looks weird to me as the hull looks like the first Beneteau Figaro made.  The foil size seems way undersized with that hull shape/size.  I'm sure that sucker stalls pretty easily.

7 hours ago, RobbieB said:

It just looks weird to me as the hull looks like the first Beneteau Figaro made.  The foil size seems way undersized with that hull shape/size.  I'm sure that sucker stalls pretty easily.

I did a lot of miles on a pre carbon Col 30 that was modded into a 32.  Ordinal keel was changed to a heaver  one.  The 30 with the light keel was a broach machine, but planned easily. Rudder was way too short transom hung.  Instead of putting on a heaver keel they should have lengthened the rudder. In swell less than a third of the rudder  of a short rudder was bitting. The owners did get a new one made, but I still felt is was too short.  Finally they did get a third rudder made and did well in PAC cup.

8 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

As they should be. High aspect is the modern way. Everything else is drag.

So Is the rudder on the Antrim inboard?  I always like the rudder on the Henderson 30. An inboard cassette. The cassettes are great but not so good on the transom like the FT and Columbia 30/32.

2 hours ago, tweaker said:

So Is the rudder on the Antrim inboard?  I always like the rudder on the Henderson 30. An inboard cassette. The cassettes are great but not so good on the transom like the FT and Columbia 30/32.

Yup- transom hung w/leading edge under the boat. Pretty sure they have a twin emergency back up in case one snaps off. Simple and sturdy. Similar to the deeper and stiffer Betts upgrade on the FT and Columbias. Raced a Hendo one season and although the vara rudder system was clever, the bearings and ring races never held up to the abuse of code zero reaching. 

• Like 1

#54 in San Diego will be for sale soon too (and I will buy an ad). My wife and I have owned the boat since it was new in '07 and have loved every minute of sailing it...but now that retirement is starting to appear over the horizon, it's time to start thinking about getting something we can cruise farther afield. Definitely have mixed feelings about selling the FT. They are great boats and are just plain fun to sail, especially in SoCal. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, PHM said:

#54 in San Diego will be for sale soon too (and I will buy an ad). My wife and I have owned the boat since it was new in '07 and have loved every minute of sailing it...but now that retirement is starting to appear over the horizon, it's time to start thinking about getting something we can cruise farther afield. Definitely have mixed feelings about selling the FT. They are great boats and are just plain fun to sail, especially in SoCal. 

paul's boat is a good one. a good ft would eat that antrim alive in 12 and under. after that, well not so much!

On 3/9/2021 at 1:47 AM, frozenhawaiian said:

Just sleep with one eye open.That’s what I did on a Tripp 33 coming back from Jamaica.

• 10 months later...
On 3/11/2021 at 8:34 AM, Bob Perry said:

I like emails like this:

Hi Bob,

We are still having success against the Melges 32's, Farr 30's and custom Hick 30's Dovell etc... everyone loves the boat.

You did a great job - thanks Bruce

https://www.sail-world.com/photo/309314

FT10m sydney.jpg

Hi Bob. We’ve entered Amurskya in the R2AK. Cheers, Todd

Kootenay Pedalwheelers

1639E263-6368-4475-9159-3E3E8D0FC7AB.jpeg

• Like 1

PHM.  Paul - she still looks clean and ready to race! (the yacht, maybe the lady)  Recalling all the good times racing with and against you and your team. MHK is currently in AZ with the Sea Scouts, but heading back to LB this year (so I hear) I will be in SD for the NOOD, sailing with Snapper on the DBII.  Come by SWYC and let me buy you two dinner and catch up on all thing yachting, Italy, pending retirements, et al.  Cheers  Phillip

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Bulga Naba said:

PHM.  Paul - she still looks clean and ready to race! (the yacht, maybe the lady)  Recalling all the good times racing with and against you and your team. MHK is currently in AZ with the Sea Scouts, but heading back to LB this year (so I hear) I will be in SD for the NOOD, sailing with Snapper on the DBII.  Come by SWYC and let me buy you two dinner and catch up on all thing yachting, Italy, pending retirements, et al.  Cheers  Phillip

That sounds great! Looking forward to it. If you'll be in town long enough and can bring your bike, we should do a ride too...

22 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

What is front page?? 

22 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

a staite of minde......         :)

a stale joke

Out of curiosity, now that the FT10’s have hit the age where many are on their second or third owners, how are they holding up?  Aside from the rudder upgrade and Bomb bay door issue, have any big issues popped up?  I’m asking as a fan of the boat. 

Monkey.  I owned #33 Mile High Klub from initial order for 10 years.  Once thew rudder issue was solved with Betts 3.0 (we went thru three of them and never used the OEM) and the engine door was solved by many other creative folks, we never had any issue with failing gear, hull, keel or rig.  The carbon rig, boom and sprit were the pre-sale bargain of the century.  Pre-sale inspection did reveal a small area of delam on the topside starboard quarter, but easily resolved.  With no data to confirm , I do suggest we put in more offshore miles than any other in, at least in the US.  Famously, we pouded into 12' seas for 30 miles in the Ilands Race and saw no damage whatsoever other than breaking Betts 2.0 in a broach, and that could be attributed to uberzealous operator error.  Three fixes would be needed for serious offshore - better seals at the sprit exit and a plug for the kelp cutter (at high speeds it create a modes firehose effect) The major one would be securing the keel in an extended position (don't know how many ever raided their keel, but we never did after dropping it for first day splash.   We considered doing as CABO race and knew she would have faired extremely well, but the needed mods to be legal became ridiculous (we all wondered how the installation of a plumbed sink would contibute to sailor safety?).  One boat did consider TransPac for a bit but decided against it.  IMHO - would have to carry too many crew to keep her on her feet for the first two days to make it realistic, given that you had to keep them aboard and feed them for at least eight dasys.  But, for those who say she couldn't go upwind in a breeze - she acts better than you might think with a full hiking 8 person crew on board and a good main trimmer. (Most pics I see of Tigers overpowered I keep screaming ro drop the traveler and twist those sails - and I never see any crew hiking near as hard as mine did in a blow) Enjoyed every day sailing her and would not underestimate her on any balanced race course.  NOTE:  Code 0 absolute necessary for any offshore work and a fractional kite would alo be a plus.  She sails well to her rating, even with downwind penalities for the Code. In light air, only a well sailed CF-27 would match her on rating.  Top speed on a freaky days with huge breeze and waves. 26.7 kyts. Loved her and miss the days of 10 Tigers on the line battling around the course with friends on all the comepetitors boats.  Good time had by all.

LBRW_FT_10_Final_start_sml.pdf

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Bulga Naba said:

Monkey.  I owned #33 Mile High Klub from initial order for 10 years.  Once thew rudder issue was solved with Betts 3.0 (we went thru three of them and never used the OEM) and the engine door was solved by many other creative folks, we never had any issue with failing gear, hull, keel or rig.  The carbon rig, boom and sprit were the pre-sale bargain of the century.  Pre-sale inspection did reveal a small area of delam on the topside starboard quarter, but easily resolved.  With no data to confirm , I do suggest we put in more offshore miles than any other in, at least in the US.  Famously, we pouded into 12' seas for 30 miles in the Ilands Race and saw no damage whatsoever other than breaking Betts 2.0 in a broach, and that could be attributed to uberzealous operator error.  Three fixes would be needed for serious offshore - better seals at the sprit exit and a plug for the kelp cutter (at high speeds it create a modes firehose effect) The major one would be securing the keel in an extended position (don't know how many ever raided their keel, but we never did after dropping it for first day splash.   We considered doing as CABO race and knew she would have faired extremely well, but the needed mods to be legal became ridiculous (we all wondered how the installation of a plumbed sink would contibute to sailor safety?).  One boat did consider TransPac for a bit but decided against it.  IMHO - would have to carry too many crew to keep her on her feet for the first two days to make it realistic, given that you had to keep them aboard and feed them for at least eight dasys.  But, for those who say she couldn't go upwind in a breeze - she acts better than you might think with a full hiking 8 person crew on board and a good main trimmer. (Most pics I see of Tigers overpowered I keep screaming ro drop the traveler and twist those sails - and I never see any crew hiking near as hard as mine did in a blow) Enjoyed every day sailing her and would not underestimate her on any balanced race course.  NOTE:  Code 0 absolute necessary for any offshore work and a fractional kite would alo be a plus.  She sails well to her rating, even with downwind penalities for the Code. In light air, only a well sailed CF-27 would match her on rating.  Top speed on a freaky days with huge breeze and waves. 26.7 kyts. Loved her and miss the days of 10 Tigers on the line battling around the course with friends on all the comepetitors boats.  Good time had by all.

LBRW_FT_10_Final_start_sml.pdf 672.09 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks for the seriously detailed response!  When I had my new toy surveyed, a bunch of FT10’s were used as comps and I was shocked how affordable they are. It’s hard to argue with them on a $ per grin factor. I actually had a deposit in on a new build way back in the day, but had to bail when my financial situation got a little rocky. The two fixes you suggest sound like pretty much every boat, so I’m happy to hear they’ve held up well. 

On 2/12/2022 at 7:47 AM, Tkettner said:

Here’s the fresh off the typewriter satirical bio for our FT10 pedal drive entry in this June’s Race to Alaska. Credit: R2AK “journalist” team. https://r2ak.com/2022-teams-full-race/team-kootenay-pedalwheelers-2/

CA9F296B-7808-4D8B-B0F6-41453CB1BC9C.jpeg

And she'll be for sale in the PNW after we sail her back down from Ketchican in late June 2022. Anyone want to sail an pedal her back to Alaska in R2AK 2023?

Monk. To ber sure, there were a number of other fixes that were already taken care of by the time #33 was delivered... that's why even while engaged with the "deposit group" from day one, I opted for a later number with only a slightly delayed delivery.  Boats #004 through #19 noted suggestions and had fixes already implemented by the time #33 delivered in early '07.  To be sure, they will never be another boat of comparable size that delivered 20+ kts for less than $52K delivered from China to Long Beach.  Granted, the sails that came with the boat were immediately used for delivery only status and most running rigging was replaced by choice. Jelp Cutter in SoCal was a must.  Still an incomparable bargain with savings that allowed us to maintain her at the level she deserved, under cover and upgrades at the first signs of wear.  Anyone looking for a 30-36' speedster on the used market would do well to look at any FT10 on the market and, if Paul ever puts #54 out there, it would likely be the best maintained Tiger you could find,  Just sayin'

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Looks like they are using a stock factory rudder and cassette with tiller upgrade. The R2AK should be a good test for that blade.

We’ve realized we need to upgrade. Suggestions and insights welcome. 

Light Years!  The cassette, blade, and tiller configuration.combinastion  as designed was not the issue.  The blade designed shape and the sheer weight of the components were doomed.  Many reported early cassette failures and that was the result of very poor manufacturing (assume not by the same shope that built the hulls).  The blade was not an efficient shape and weighed a ton.  The ultimate Betts Rudder was half the weight and a much more sophiticated and efficient blade aspec design that offered much more control when on the edges and much cleaner exit in all conditions.  All that being said, no system works when the tiller extension detaches on the starting line (see below)

image.png.5021829f60334e195b3dd69a7703d033.png

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Bulga Naba said:

Light Years!  The cassette, blade, and tiller configuration.combinastion  as designed was not the issue.  The blade designed shape and the sheer weight of the components were doomed.  Many reported early cassette failures and that was the result of very poor manufacturing (assume not by the same shope that built the hulls).  The blade was not an efficient shape and weighed a ton.  The ultimate Betts Rudder was half the weight and a much more sophiticated and efficient blade aspec design that offered much more control when on the edges and much cleaner exit in all conditions.  All that being said, no system works when the tiller extension detaches on the starting line (see below)

image.png.5021829f60334e195b3dd69a7703d033.png

The word “ease” was left at the dock with the anchor this day. At least you were wearing your clean underwear!

• Like 1