So we made it back to PV and are settled in for a bit, have to go north to work for a couple months.  The long term work schedule has moved up some and we now have to seriously contemplate the options for getting the boat back to Seattle. Looking at four options, Hawaii, coastal, ocean freight and trucking.  Timing isn't ideal and having a old wood boat doesn't help.  Ocean freight looks to be out of the budget by a bit, almost $40k. Hawaii also not great as we wouldn't be able to leave PV till late June or July. July bash seems doable with a good wx window but have to weigh the boat abuse bashing all the way up vs. putting on a truck.  We have time to make the trip north so kinda leaning that way but the trucking scenerio will cover some needed items.  The rig needs to get pulled for maintenance and we need a full insurance survey this year which that process will cover.  Decisions decisions....no fun.

21 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

So we made it back to PV and are settled in for a bit, have to go north to work for a couple months.  The long term work schedule has moved up some and we now have to seriously contemplate the options for getting the boat back to Seattle. Looking at four options, Hawaii, coastal, ocean freight and trucking.  Timing isn't ideal and having a old wood boat doesn't help.  Ocean freight looks to be out of the budget by a bit, almost $40k. Hawaii also not great as we wouldn't be able to leave PV till late June or July. July bash seems doable with a good wx window but have to weigh the boat abuse bashing all the way up vs. putting on a truck.  We have time to make the trip north so kinda leaning that way but the trucking scenerio will cover some needed items.  The rig needs to get pulled for maintenance and we need a full insurance survey this year which that process will cover.  Decisions decisions....no fun.

Fitzcarraldo • New Zealand International Film Festival

truck it

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm leaning that as the lesser of two bads.  Just need the logistics and cost to work. Originally we thought we would have another season and a Hawaii return was the obvious choice.

I've never done it but have heard that the offshore route up the coast is not too bad. A very long close reach with some turbulence at both ends. I have bashed up the coast and can't recommend that.

From PV to San Diego and other CA ports the Bash is by far the best choice unless one is filthy rich. The Baja and CA coasts can be made more gentle by simply slowing down. Not stopping every time it gets windy, just reducing speed. I've done the whole trip at 2-4 knots: below the bash threshold of the boat. Gotta like pitching, though.

But you are going to Seattle so the Hawaii route is better in all ways. Unless of course the hurricanes are chasing you out to Hawaii. An August departure would be iffy in that regard. July usually okay. Cruisers with strictly coastal experience may find the Hawaii legs intimidating, though. Can be quite slow, at first, getting west from PV.

Close reaching offshore without going as far as Hawaii seems like it would be a hateful mission: Beat up in the prevailing NW'lys, then becalmed in the Pacific High, then demolished in a coastal gale approaching JdF. Longer, rougher, and slower.

Not sure we will have time for the long offshore or Hawaii route.  We are slow realistically would use a 4 kt. avg and that cuts it way to close to when I would need to be in Seattle.  If we left now it would be fine but I have a previous work obligation. Boat would be fine doing the bash but we have tried really hard not to beat it the whole time we have had it and this would certainly be working it hard, unless we get lucky on the wx.  We would have time to be pretty picky with some long runs maximizing wx windows coastal. If the truck thing is not crazy spendy it means we get to hang for a good bit of the summer in the PNW and that is definitely a plus. As long as we can keep the out of water time to two weeks ish should be ok on the hull.  

5 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Could also sell it where it is.  Sellers market.  Suspect that reverses in a year or so and will be big time buyers market just in time for you to get back in...

You don't really have a good option to et that boat to that place in that timeframe, no?

So take the door not considered.

Haha we are too stupid to sell it. Our friend is a broker here and he said it's been crazy lately, definitely a good time to sell and buy. About the only ones who would come close to a reasonable offer would be a stary eyed trustafarian or one of the charter outfits.  In both cases it would probably be the death of the boat in five years.  Only crazy people try to maintain a wood boat in the tropics. 

The pace car thing would be a deal breaker probably.  Our slip neighbor trucked their boat and it sounds like we would be under, they ended up being over and it was a bit more.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Haha we are too stupid to sell it. Our friend is a broker here and he said it's been crazy lately, definitely a good time to sell and buy. About the only ones who would come close to a reasonable offer would be a stary eyed trustafarian or one of the charter outfits.  In both cases it would probably be the death of the boat in five years.  Only crazy people try to maintain a wood boat in the tropics. 

The pace car thing would be a deal breaker probably.  Our slip neighbor trucked their boat and it sounds like we would be under, they ended up being over and it was a bit more.

I hear you but you don't seem to have any option that doesn't involve either a.) a lot of money spent, or b.) a lot of time and abuse for the boat and crew on a date defined calendar driven voyage (for which well... you know...).  And of course we haven't factored in CA COVID insanity and the impact of that (which I doubt ends as soon as folks seem to think).  Good luck!

It's crazy being back in PV we haven't been around this many people probably since last time we were here.  The marina resort thing is better since they have pretty strict entry but still lots of people.  I'm sure Ca is nuts.  Worse case if we go coastal and super slow the boat would be fine from the bay area up if we had to leave it and resume the trip later.  We are well versed on spending stupid amounts of money we will never get back on the boat so that's at least familiar...

Just now, SASSAFRASS said:

It's crazy being back in PV we haven't been around this many people probably since last time we were here.  The marina resort thing is better since they have pretty strict entry but still lots of people.  I'm sure Ca is nuts.  Worse case if we go coastal and super slow the boat would be fine from the bay area up if we had to leave it and resume the trip later.  We are well versed on spending stupid amounts of money we will never get back on the boat so that's at least familiar...

How much time do you actually have between your last gig down south and having to be back up north?

When I had Kolibri trucked from Maine to California I sued Eric Chevillet with Safe Harbor Haulers. He is very professional, uses an air ride tractor, and an air ride trailer specifically designed for boat transport. You may have to sail to San Diego. Not sure if he'll go into Mexico. San Diego to Seattle should be no big deal for him. Here's his contact info:

Eric Chevillet
Safe Harbor Haulers 
Eric@SafeHarborHaulers.com<mailto:Eric@SafeHarborHaulers.com>
Cell (413)822-2224
Fax (413)961-0786
6 minutes ago, Kolibri said:

When I had Kolibri trucked from Maine to California I sued Eric Chevillet with Safe Harbor Haulers. He is very professional, uses an air ride tractor, and an air ride trailer specifically designed for boat transport. You may have to sail to San Diego. Not sure if he'll go into Mexico. San Diego to Seattle should be no big deal for him. Here's his contact info:

Eric Chevillet
Safe Harbor Haulers 
Eric@SafeHarborHaulers.com<mailto:Eric@SafeHarborHaulers.com>
Cell (413)822-2224
Fax (413)961-0786

Jeez man, you sure you want to recommend someone that you “sued”?  :P

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, wick said:

Jeez man, you sure you want to recommend someone that you “sued”?  :P

Damn fingers need more coffee today....USED...used....there...I got it right. I think it is now safe to go make some more coffee. :-)

• Like 2

If you are in the PV marina by the condos and hotel and restaurant, see if you can get down and take some snapshots of Sayula II. I was down there 3 years ago and she was on the hard getting a pretty big refit. Post the pics here. (please)

Plus the "oversized load" sign on the trailer made the boat feel insecure...  "does this truck make me look fat?"

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, sculpin said:

Plus the "oversized load" sign on the trailer made the boat feel insecure...  "does this truck make me look fat?"

Makes me think of this license plate...

image.png.93f33e99dab13aa4c61d29d3647120c0.png

It's looking like the truck route will work. Cabrales to Olympia.  Yards on both ends super nice and able to accommodate, reasonable cost including shrink wrap for transit.  Should be able to get the rig and survey items done and have a month to spend in Sea of cortez and maybe a month in the PNW.  Have a bunch of friends heading for the Sea same time so should be fun.

Borax we are in Paradise Village, if we make it to Opequimar will take a look, have to get one dinner at Rincon De Buenos Aires before we go.

Trucking from Cabrales look great.  I wonder if that was an option back in '89 when my father was coming home.  He departed Cabo with the intent of bashing all the way to Flattery.  By San Diego he had had enough of that, so on the truck she went.  Cabrales would have saved 900 difficult miles with only a few extra road miles.

Shallow draft Schooners go to windward REALLY well on Interstate 5.

Steve

Still waiting for final numbers but it looks like it might pencil out.  My biggest worry was time out of water but it looks to be short and having the top shrink wrapped for the trip should help the wear and tear from the road. We were pretty bummed about not getting to go back into the Sea so that will be a big plus.  So far Espirito Santos to Laredo is the favorite place we have been.