It's been about 20 years since I last posted here so please excuse a bit of shameless "my class" promotion. The first episode of the NA 505 Class's podcast "The 505cast" is up on YouTube here. Production's a bit rough but it should be enjoyable for a lot of you. Episode 2 will go live toward the end of the month, following roughly a monthly schedule. Enjoy.

Thanks

• Like 5

Hey.  Thanks for that.  Nice to actually have some sailing related YouTube content that is actually relevant to sailboat racing and not “We bought a boat!!!!”   

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hermetic said:

interesting stuff Dave.

Talk to Neal about his days at ML

Thanks, may get to that in time. The convention that's started is when it's an interview (not all of them will be), the current guest picks the next guest. I hope that gives it an organic flow that doesn't overweight any particular aspect of the class. 

I finally got to watch part. Although I've met P.A. a few times at the on the water sessions he led at Larchmont, I never realized the connections. I remember that yellow boat! First time I raced a 505 was at Yale in 88. Pretty sure it was there but definitely at other regattas. Funny small world. I always dreamed of consistently sailing the boat at the highest level but life always seems to get in the way.

It's funny what a small world it is. Although I just got some feedback from a good friend who tells me maybe it's a bit hard for some people to keep track of who all these people are. Going to have to figure out how to artfully help people follow along with who the heck we're talking about sometimes. The luxury of approaching from the perspective of "by 505 sailors, for 505 sailors" is great, but we don't want to mystify half the 505 sailors and most of everyone else. 

Thanks for watching/listening.

1 hour ago, D Kirkpatrick said:

The luxury of approaching from the perspective of "by 505 sailors, for 505 sailors" is great, but we don't want to mystify half the 505 sailors and most of everyone else. 

Thanks for watching/listening.

One of the guys at that regatta had a rudder that was made of spruce and had a bulb tip. He told me a story about it and it has been bugging me forever as I can't remember.  I think B.K. had a new boat at the time. I remember he was showing some all fiberglass/cored boat that was less expensive--of course at that time anything from Lindsey was still almost new. That was all before the big kites back when the gybe mark was 60 degree inside 120 degree turn. I remember how sketchy that slightly biased reach was. Tearing across L.I.S. three sails trapezing boat flying over waves in a boat that was made of nomex and kevlar but looked like it was a Rushton canoe. I will never forget that day even though there have been so many since then.

I've noticed that fortunately the boat and the class seem to attract new people who really want to sail and aren't afraid of getting out the tools and getting busy.

Nice! This is how small the world is... the guy who owned that boat/rudder was Tom Lucky. His son Spencer and I sailed against each other in college. They lived right by YCYC (awesome cool house, built into the side of a rock). That boat was 6292, winner of the '79 Worlds with Steve Taylor and Dave Penfield, both Yale guys. That rudder won the worlds. My brother and his friend Charlie bought that boat from Tom, and then I inherited it as basically a bare hull. It was a Parker hull with a Lindsay deck, so by the time I got it, it was pretty soft. We won a couple of light and medium races but would get spanked in breeze (we were also a light team and just not that good). 

One of my best ever 505 days was out of YCYC, Pete A sailed with me, one of the first few times I'd sailed a 505. Fairly hard west breeze. The kite halyard was problematic but holy s--t was it a good day on the water. Sailed many many days with Pete since, it's always worth the trip. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Great podcast! I wish someone would do something similar with Fireball guys.

Thanks. When I thought of doing this and looked into it, it was surprising how few classes do it. There's a Laser one that the Chinese Radial badass does, and... crickets

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 8:29 PM, ziper1221 said:

so how far north do I have to go to get a 505?

Not very.  There are 505 sailors in Florida who might be able to help locate one.  A bunch in VA.  

8 hours ago, WCB said:

Not very.  There are 505 sailors in Florida who might be able to help locate one.  A bunch in VA.  

And at least a few in/near Wrightsville Beach. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, D Kirkpatrick said:

Just posted Episode 10 with 1979 World Champ Steve Taylor. A few good ones (Howard Hamlin, Mike Martin) since this thread last got bumped. 

Listen here. 

Most excellent episode.   They’ve all been excellent.  

• Like 1