Hobie has already been there.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, rantro said:

Hobie has already been there.

hqdefault.jpg

Exactly.  Probably a lot sexier than the trifoiler, but no doubt shares the many drawbacks associated with this concept... crazy beam, onerous setup and overall high level of complexity.  

21 minutes ago, nota said:

so in the top picture why are the foils PUT IN BACKWARDS

corrected in the second picture

It's all a matter of perspective...

Foiling should result in boats that look more like airplanes. So this is on the right track.

It will go the same way as the Hobie foiler for the same reasons.  Too much fucking around to go for a sail.

Think jet ski.  How long is it fun to blast around aimlessly?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mad said:

How much?? 

about $43k with the electronics.

15 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Perfect for old rich guys

that sail on sheltered waters

3 hours ago, ryley said:

If I had more disposable income and lived near sheltered water, i.e. Long Beach, I would sail that.  But, I am a retired educator that sails in the open ocean so I will remain contented with my Weta and get my fix of big boat OPB sailing again once I am vaccinated.

1 hour ago, unShirley said:

that sail on sheltered waters

If I had more disposable income and lived near sheltered water, i.e. Long Beach, I would sail that.  But, I am a retired educator that sails in the open ocean so I will remain contented with my Weta and get my fix of big boat OPB sailing again once I am vaccinated.

I wasn't suggesting. I'm always interested in what these folks think the market will bear for a one-off toy. In boston harbor, that thing would be a menace, which is the only reason I want one ;)

4 hours ago, ryley said:
20 hours ago, mad said:

How much?? 

Doug Lord will be along shortly.:lol:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ryley said:

I wasn't suggesting. I'm always interested in what these folks think the market will bear for a one-off toy. In boston harbor, that thing would be a menace, which is the only reason I want one ;)

Price seems pretty reasonable to me.  I think it could do well with guys that used to race beach cats.  The problem with most of the one-off toys is that they require a rare combination of athleticism and net worth.  This appears to require less athleticism than a Weta or roto-molded, no-trap Hobie.  Price isn't too much more than an A-Class or Moth.

I don't understand the point of this boat.  There are plenty of foilers around these days you can acquire, sit on and go fast.  What's the secret sauce with this thing?  It's clearly not practical to sail around courses and would be a pain to transport, assemble and launch.  So why?

24 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

I don't understand the point of this boat.  There are plenty of foilers around these days you can acquire, sit on and go fast.  What's the secret sauce with this thing?  It's clearly not practical to sail around courses and would be a pain to transport, assemble and launch.  So why?

you left out 'get into and out of' unless you happen to live on a beach. I can't fathom getting this thing close enough to a dock to be able to disembark.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

It looks like it could be sailed by a paraplegic or similar which if that’s the case I think it’s pretty cool. Currently the only other options are an Illusion, 2.4M or some sort of modified RS keelboat.

43 minutes ago, JL92S said:

It looks like it could be sailed by a paraplegic or similar which if that’s the case I think it’s pretty cool. Currently the only other options are an Illusion, 2.4M or some sort of modified RS keelboat.

Yeah good point but how safe is a foiler for a Disabled sailor?  Big crash and a disabled sailor may find it hard to get out of the boat safely. 

Am too young for the 'bring anything shit to market, we'll say it can plane' goldrush.

I remember the 'bring any old crap to market, we'll put racks and a sprit on it, and say its a skiff'.

We have passed the 'bring any half developed shitter cat to market, we'll put on some crazy foils, and say its americas cup tech'

So, now we're in the foiling monohull chapter?

11 hours ago, eastern motors said:

The problem with most of the one-off toys is that they require a rare combination of athleticism and net worth. 

^ this. And the fact that it’s usable wind range might be between 9.1 and 9.7 knots. In flat water. 

A lot of haters commenting.  I think it looks like it would be a blast  to buzz around on inside the Long Beach breakwater.  But, at $43k you could buy 5 UFOs and have an OD racing fleet.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:28 PM, JL92S said:

This looks absolutely hilarious...CC2E821D-CA03-49BE-AC4B-882DBE854942.thumb.jpeg.ba59d309df7264ac944d02960bd56c38.jpeg8D6D6E45-8A04-4393-A8F2-A6BE8B590279.thumb.jpeg.8a14ff3fbecf8044244609312bc4f2b4.jpegDF8A8A2C-9BAB-4390-B2CA-425E04256B3D.thumb.jpeg.e416420c1b611971f3cd83c31a6a0f4f.jpeg4DA40964-C9E6-43B7-AB4C-AF8955D16F72.thumb.jpeg.03225e3bb69c75f8e9364344c8d7f958.jpeg

Like someone else asked, why are the foils depicted wrong way round in one pic, and not the other?

That's a metric shit ton of strings to pull!!!

15 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Like someone else asked, why are the foils depicted wrong way round in one pic, and not the other?

it's a trick of the eye I think, because they are anhedral

So as it turns out you steer with your legs and ‘fly’ the boat with the joystick like you would a plane. 

• 2 weeks later...

The SA FP now has a  link to the  home page for the Vortex Pod prominently displayed.  So I went to the website to check it out.  Specifically, I was interested in seeing some pics/videos of it in action.  I also was hoping to see a video of  how one embarked/disembarked.  Nothing! Just vapor ware.  I can't imagine people paying  a $3500 deposit to eventually purchase a $40,000+ toy based solely on vapor ware.

29 minutes ago, unShirley said:

The SA FP now has a  link to the  home page for the Vortex Pod prominently displayed.  So I went to the website to check it out.  Specifically, I was interested in seeing some pics/videos of it in action.  I also was hoping to see a video of  how one embarked/disembarked.  Nothing! Just vapor ware.  I can't imagine people paying  a $3500 deposit to eventually purchase a $40,000+ toy based solely on vapor ware.

Whatever you do, don't google "NFT"

10 hours ago, unShirley said:

AC8642D4-D4C2-417D-9DCF-9A1FD4BD170C.jpeg.2c3c40186969c9b40cf4341fc97c2e3d.jpeg
whilst it’s not sailing yet it’s a little more than vapourware

On 3/11/2021 at 6:20 PM, billy backstay said:

That's a metric shit ton of strings to pull!!!

especially with one hand needing to be on the stick to fly it.

15 hours ago, JL92S said:

AC8642D4-D4C2-417D-9DCF-9A1FD4BD170C.jpeg.2c3c40186969c9b40cf4341fc97c2e3d.jpeg
whilst it’s not sailing yet it’s a little more than vapourware

THAT'S a McConaghy work space?  Looks my basement when it needs a cleaning.

5 hours ago, ryley said:

especially with one hand needing to be on the stick to fly it.

Exactly! How does one person manage all those strings, while concentrating, on staying up on the foils??

40 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Point taken, but does your garage create and deliver such a craft?? 

35 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Point taken, but does your garage create and deliver such a craft?? 

Just because it's sitting on blocks there, doesn't mean it was created there

Some call me a cynic but I am a realist

FB- Doug

I like the seat. :)  looks like an expensive concept off roader. a supercar. trick recumbent, or better yet, a glider.   But iceboats and land yachts abandoned the beam forward thing what, half a century ago?  Massive style points in carbon.  Superyacht toy extraordinaire. Race your friends! AC- togs/helmet/goggles/knife/signage to go along?  I like it more and more.  Cafe racer / Morgan 3 wheeler / pylon racer / open class land sailor  vibe ......  if it gets more billionaires into sail racing, piloting their own craft?  Maybe a new AC development class?  One or two man?  I can see the second crew person doing wing walking for leverage...