Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rantro said:

Hobie has already been there.

hqdefault.jpg

Exactly.  Probably a lot sexier than the trifoiler, but no doubt shares the many drawbacks associated with this concept... crazy beam, onerous setup and overall high level of complexity.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Perfect for old rich guys

that sail on sheltered waters

3 hours ago, ryley said:

about $43k with the electronics.

If I had more disposable income and lived near sheltered water, i.e. Long Beach, I would sail that.  But, I am a retired educator that sails in the open ocean so I will remain contented with my Weta and get my fix of big boat OPB sailing again once I am vaccinated.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unShirley said:

that sail on sheltered waters

If I had more disposable income and lived near sheltered water, i.e. Long Beach, I would sail that.  But, I am a retired educator that sails in the open ocean so I will remain contented with my Weta and get my fix of big boat OPB sailing again once I am vaccinated.

I wasn't suggesting. I'm always interested in what these folks think the market will bear for a one-off toy. In boston harbor, that thing would be a menace, which is the only reason I want one ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ryley said:

I wasn't suggesting. I'm always interested in what these folks think the market will bear for a one-off toy. In boston harbor, that thing would be a menace, which is the only reason I want one ;)

Price seems pretty reasonable to me.  I think it could do well with guys that used to race beach cats.  The problem with most of the one-off toys is that they require a rare combination of athleticism and net worth.  This appears to require less athleticism than a Weta or roto-molded, no-trap Hobie.  Price isn't too much more than an A-Class or Moth.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the point of this boat.  There are plenty of foilers around these days you can acquire, sit on and go fast.  What's the secret sauce with this thing?  It's clearly not practical to sail around courses and would be a pain to transport, assemble and launch.  So why?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

I don't understand the point of this boat.  There are plenty of foilers around these days you can acquire, sit on and go fast.  What's the secret sauce with this thing?  It's clearly not practical to sail around courses and would be a pain to transport, assemble and launch.  So why?

you left out 'get into and out of' unless you happen to live on a beach. I can't fathom getting this thing close enough to a dock to be able to disembark.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

I don't understand the point of this boat.  There are plenty of foilers around these days you can acquire, sit on and go fast.  What's the secret sauce with this thing?  It's clearly not practical to sail around courses and would be a pain to transport, assemble and launch.  So why?

It looks like it could be sailed by a paraplegic or similar which if that’s the case I think it’s pretty cool. Currently the only other options are an Illusion, 2.4M or some sort of modified RS keelboat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JL92S said:

It looks like it could be sailed by a paraplegic or similar which if that’s the case I think it’s pretty cool. Currently the only other options are an Illusion, 2.4M or some sort of modified RS keelboat.

Yeah good point but how safe is a foiler for a Disabled sailor?  Big crash and a disabled sailor may find it hard to get out of the boat safely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Am too young for the 'bring anything shit to market, we'll say it can plane' goldrush.

I remember the 'bring any old crap to market, we'll put racks and a sprit on it, and say its a skiff'.

We have passed the 'bring any half developed shitter cat to market, we'll put on some crazy foils, and say its americas cup tech'

So, now we're in the foiling monohull chapter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, eastern motors said:

 The problem with most of the one-off toys is that they require a rare combination of athleticism and net worth. 

^ this. And the fact that it’s usable wind range might be between 9.1 and 9.7 knots. In flat water. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of haters commenting.  I think it looks like it would be a blast  to buzz around on inside the Long Beach breakwater.  But, at $43k you could buy 5 UFOs and have an OD racing fleet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2021 at 2:28 PM, JL92S said:

This looks absolutely hilarious...CC2E821D-CA03-49BE-AC4B-882DBE854942.thumb.jpeg.ba59d309df7264ac944d02960bd56c38.jpeg8D6D6E45-8A04-4393-A8F2-A6BE8B590279.thumb.jpeg.8a14ff3fbecf8044244609312bc4f2b4.jpegDF8A8A2C-9BAB-4390-B2CA-425E04256B3D.thumb.jpeg.e416420c1b611971f3cd83c31a6a0f4f.jpeg4DA40964-C9E6-43B7-AB4C-AF8955D16F72.thumb.jpeg.03225e3bb69c75f8e9364344c8d7f958.jpeg

 

Like someone else asked, why are the foils depicted wrong way round in one pic, and not the other?

That's a metric shit ton of strings to pull!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The SA FP now has a  link to the  home page for the Vortex Pod prominently displayed.  So I went to the website to check it out.  Specifically, I was interested in seeing some pics/videos of it in action.  I also was hoping to see a video of  how one embarked/disembarked.  Nothing! Just vapor ware.  I can't imagine people paying  a $3500 deposit to eventually purchase a $40,000+ toy based solely on vapor ware.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, unShirley said:

The SA FP now has a  link to the  home page for the Vortex Pod prominently displayed.  So I went to the website to check it out.  Specifically, I was interested in seeing some pics/videos of it in action.  I also was hoping to see a video of  how one embarked/disembarked.  Nothing! Just vapor ware.  I can't imagine people paying  a $3500 deposit to eventually purchase a $40,000+ toy based solely on vapor ware.

Whatever you do, don't google "NFT"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2021 at 5:45 PM, rantro said:

Think jet ski.  How long is it fun to blast around aimlessly?

People with a low enough IQ seem to enjoy jet skis. Similar people will perhaps be interested in this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, unShirley said:

The SA FP now has a  link to the  home page for the Vortex Pod prominently displayed.  So I went to the website to check it out.  Specifically, I was interested in seeing some pics/videos of it in action.  I also was hoping to see a video of  how one embarked/disembarked.  Nothing! Just vapor ware.  I can't imagine people paying  a $3500 deposit to eventually purchase a $40,000+ toy based solely on vapor ware.

AC8642D4-D4C2-417D-9DCF-9A1FD4BD170C.jpeg.2c3c40186969c9b40cf4341fc97c2e3d.jpeg
whilst it’s not sailing yet it’s a little more than vapourware

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2021 at 6:20 PM, billy backstay said:

That's a metric shit ton of strings to pull!!!

especially with one hand needing to be on the stick to fly it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ryley said:

especially with one hand needing to be on the stick to fly it.

Exactly! How does one person manage all those strings, while concentrating, on staying up on the foils??

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

THAT'S a McConaghy work space?  Looks my basement when it needs a cleaning.

 

Point taken, but does your garage create and deliver such a craft?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

THAT'S a McConaghy work space?  Looks my basement when it needs a cleaning.

 

Point taken, but does your garage create and deliver such a craft?? 

Just because it's sitting on blocks there, doesn't mean it was created there

Some call me a cynic but I am a realist

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the seat. :)  looks like an expensive concept off roader. a supercar. trick recumbent, or better yet, a glider.   But iceboats and land yachts abandoned the beam forward thing what, half a century ago?  Massive style points in carbon.  Superyacht toy extraordinaire. Race your friends! AC- togs/helmet/goggles/knife/signage to go along?  I like it more and more.  Cafe racer / Morgan 3 wheeler / pylon racer / open class land sailor  vibe ......  if it gets more billionaires into sail racing, piloting their own craft?  Maybe a new AC development class?  One or two man?  I can see the second crew person doing wing walking for leverage...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

WTF! No cup holders? First thing I'm doing is cutting some holes where the instruments are for some 64oz Big Gulp size cup holders. The instruments are only going to tell you non-essential shit like speed and course anyway, not the important stuff like how monumentally ridiculous you look spending $50K on the lovechild of a Windrider that got double cornholed by a jetski and a wakeboat. Second thing I'm doing is changing the seat to something more appropriate. Without armrests, there is no way this boat makes sense.

27141-10309108.webp

...and

Anyone figure out how to take a piss off the Vortex? Doesn't seem like that was a big design consideration. Like most people (I think), I normally stand up and piss off the back of the boat while carefully steering the boat away from anything that looks like a beam reach or downwind; Strictly adhering to the "One Hand for the Sailor, One Hand for The Boat" rule. How the hell am I suppose to relieve a traumatized beer swollen bladder or drop some kids in the pool when I have no way of steering the boat during the those few moments when everything seems right with the world? I guess at 30Kts you could just let everything fly and see where it lands. No sure. Shit, maybe there is enough aerodynamic pressure at those speeds to put most of last night's tequila and burrito behind you in a, well, vortex of relief. Don't know, but I'd like the designers/builders to at least address the issue.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Looks to me like it might work well.  The hobie trifoiler is extremely fast and stable at high speed and this boat has a similar basic design.  With modern materials and tech perhaps they can overcome the trifoiler deficiencies and attain the performance.  E.g. insufficient engineering, heavy, difficult to launch, etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2021 at 10:29 PM, bhyde said:

WTF! No cup holders? First thing I'm doing is cutting some holes where the instruments are for some 64oz Big Gulp size cup holders. The instruments are only going to tell you non-essential shit like speed and course anyway, not the important stuff like how monumentally ridiculous you look spending $50K on the lovechild of a Windrider that got double cornholed by a jetski and a wakeboat. Second thing I'm doing is changing the seat to something more appropriate. Without armrests, there is no way this boat makes sense.

27141-10309108.webp

...and

Anyone figure out how to take a piss off the Vortex? Doesn't seem like that was a big design consideration. Like most people (I think), I normally stand up and piss off the back of the boat while carefully steering the boat away from anything that looks like a beam reach or downwind; Strictly adhering to the "One Hand for the Sailor, One Hand for The Boat" rule. How the hell am I suppose to relieve a traumatized beer swollen bladder or drop some kids in the pool when I have no way of steering the boat during the those few moments when everything seems right with the world? I guess at 30Kts you could just let everything fly and see where it lands. No sure. Shit, maybe there is enough aerodynamic pressure at those speeds to put most of last night's tequila and burrito behind you in a, well, vortex of relief. Don't know, but I'd like the designers/builders to at least address the issue.

96838-condom-catheter-kit-1296-728-body-

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Setup guide.
Using the auto pisser option.

#1. Your outing starts by Strapping on the condom with tube attached before dressing for a sail*,  just in case relief is needed while foiling.  Like SR 71 Pilots did and space men do still before reaching your launch site mount the device before suiting up.
 

#2 Next….

 

 

 

*Be Prepared for SO comments like, What’s that really for? Or, Does Foiling really get you off THAT MUCH! Etc….  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2021 at 5:29 AM, bhyde said:

WTF! No cup holders? First thing I'm doing is cutting some holes where the instruments are for some 64oz Big Gulp size cup holders.

Oh, you dont have time to drink when you have 15 strings to pull, boat to steer and fly. Consider youself lucky if you have time to breath.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2021 at 10:29 PM, bhyde said:

 

Anyone figure out how to take a piss off the Vortex? Doesn't seem like that was a big design consideration. Like most people (I think), I normally stand up and piss off the back of the boat while carefully steering the boat away from anything that looks like a beam reach or downwind; Strictly adhering to the "One Hand for the Sailor, One Hand for The Boat" rule. 

Foley catheter to a through-hull?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having spent many years flying sailplanes, I'm familiar with the catheter pee-pee system. At 25,000' the temperature is about 10 degrees below having a Johnson that looks like anything other than a scared turtle. Make mine an extra small. I'm not doing it on a boat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

So, to me, the fact that the FB video shows nothing more than somebody boarding the boat indicates that there must have been a massive fail after that.  If that is their idea of a tease, that in itself is a massive fail.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, unShirley said:

So, to me, the fact that the FB video shows nothing more than somebody boarding the boat indicates that there must have been a massive fail after that.  If that is their idea of a tease, that in itself is a massive fail.

I was kinda thinking the same thing, but then this just popped into my feed a few minutes ago. Hope the link works, the last one didn't seem to...

https://www.facebook.com/101880121927804/videos/324647396181559

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like the concept. Probably will never own one and even if I had the cash I still wouldn’t buy one but I can’t help think it would make a good spectating sport. The fact that it looks hard as fuck sail appeals. I’m slightly bored of foiling boats sailing (seemingly) effortlessly round a course. This looks like a PITA for all the right reasons

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2021 at 1:53 AM, Jethrow said:

I was kinda thinking the same thing, but then this just popped into my feed a few minutes ago. Hope the link works, the last one didn't seem to...

https://www.facebook.com/101880121927804/videos/324647396181559

Yes, that popped into my feed as well and my reaction is, "now that is better."  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2021 at 11:17 AM, JL92S said:

I quite like the concept. Probably will never own one and even if I had the cash I still wouldn’t buy one but I can’t help think it would make a good spectating sport. The fact that it looks hard as fuck sail appeals. I’m slightly bored of foiling boats sailing (seemingly) effortlessly round a course. This looks like a PITA for all the right reasons

Most proper foiling boats are rather tough to sail, you don't do +20 knots upwind without some work.. I do a-cats.. scary in more than 10 m/s

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Lars Schrøder d 13 said:

Most proper foiling boats are rather tough to sail, you don't do +20 knots upwind without some work.. I do a-cats.. scary in more than 10 m/s

The Doug Lordes of this world fail to understand this point, fast means that all fuckups are A. More serious and B. Avoiding them is much harder work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Caecilian said:

The Doug Lordes of this world fail to understand this point, fast means that all fuckups are A. More serious and B. Avoiding them is much harder work.

The other thing the Dougs of the world don't understand is how much it actually cost to build a real product. From the website:

POD RACER PRICE: $67,760.00

And it still doesn't have a cup holder.

Only control missing from the cockpit:

image.png.31665e5fcb61b5feab05f9ca2fac75ec.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, βhyde said:

The other thing the Dougs of the world don't understand is how much it actually cost to build a real product. From the website:

POD RACER PRICE: $67,760.00

And it still doesn't have a cup holder.

Only control missing from the cockpit:

image.png.31665e5fcb61b5feab05f9ca2fac75ec.png

 

 

Doug only builds pond models I believe, so no danger of ejection. But if he and Brent ever got together and made an Origami tri foiler we'll be sure to advise them!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not being a foiler myself, can anyone explain to me why this thing has roll control? Why would you need to bank the boat?

And while we're at it, why does the driver need to actively control pitch angle with the joystick if the wands are doing their job?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, βhyde said:

Not being a foiler myself, can anyone explain to me why this thing has roll control? Why would you need to bank the boat?

And while we're at it, why does the driver need to actively control pitch angle with the joystick if the wands are doing their job?

In a blaring automated GPS voice with Alarm buzzing interspersed:“Terrain!!...Pullup!....Terrain!!....Pullup!.....”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Liquid said:

Roll to increase RM?

Clearly the wands aren't doing shit!

 

What ever did happen to DL?

Not a clue. I'm guessing on most foilers that once the ride height is set, you use your body and continuous sail trim to manage the boat's attitude and try not to auger in. But since you are strapped into a human death pod, maybe that really isn't possible. Didn't the Hobie Tri-Foiler already do this? Now I know why there is no cupholder. Having to steer the boat with your feet and two hands to muscle the stick around just doesn't leave any spare appendages available for refreshments.

Can you imagine how much fun this thing will be to dock in any kind of breeze? Jumping out of the Laz-e-Boy and running across the super smooth wingy things without slipping before it tries to take off is not going to be a thing of beauty. Oops, forgot to uncleat the mainsheet. Super entertaining for the other boat club members though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...