Neo-Con agenda - Stay in Afghanistan

Top general says military in Afghanistan begins closing down

https://apnews.com/article/asia-pacific-afghanistan-3db567de6953b66021c89525046931d4

Only that devious weasel Biden would just do what he said he'd do. It takes a real man, like Tom's boy Shitstain, to take four years in order to promise to do something if he got re-elected.

6 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

https://apnews.com/article/asia-pacific-afghanistan-3db567de6953b66021c89525046931d4

Only that devious weasel Biden would just do what he said he'd do. It takes a real man, like Tom's boy Shitstain, to take four years in order to promise to do something if he got re-elected.

Turnip's still working on his health plan. Any day now...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Olsonist said:

I'll believe it when I see it. But somehow I see your boy, shit for brains, still has plenty of time to weasel out. 

• Downvote 1
25 minutes ago, Venom said:

I'll believe it when I see it. But somehow I see your boy, shit for brains, still has plenty of time to weasel out. 

I'll bet anyone here except Olsonist $20 that he finds some reason to stay once again. I'd bet Olsonist too, but don't want to once again learn the payment terms that I should accept after he loses.

The neocons are not happy. Leaving Afghanistan is not good for business and there a shit load of money at stake. Maybe the Afghans should pay us back for saving their country? 

Hillary Clinton warns Biden he should expect 'huge consequences' from his decision to withdraw troops from Afghanistan..

• Downvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Olsonist said:

image.png.be9de0af33b68d49941dbd751fa2b098.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/25/us/politics/us-afghanistan-withdrawal.html

Someone should bet our resident Fakebertarian, although when he loses he may try to pay you with a newly minted NFT.

Hi Tom!

Sorry, I don't trust him with any name/address/venmo account, etc.  I might share a favorite charity for him to donate too, but even that is too much info.

On 5/26/2021 at 8:38 AM, Olsonist said:

image.png.be9de0af33b68d49941dbd751fa2b098.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/25/us/politics/us-afghanistan-withdrawal.html

Someone should bet our resident Fakebertarian, although when he loses he may try to pay you with a newly minted NFT.

Hi Tom!

No one seems confident enough to bet on this one.

I hope I'm wrong and would applaud a July withdrawal, just as I would have applauded a May withdrawal.

Still willing to bet most anyone that I'm right and we'll still be there in October and beyond.

• 4 months later...
On 4/26/2021 at 3:50 AM, Excoded Tom said:
On 4/26/2021 at 3:23 AM, Venom said:

I'll bet anyone here except Olsonist $20 that he finds some reason to stay once again. I'd bet Olsonist too, but don't want to once again learn the payment terms that I should accept after he loses.

Good times.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

Good times.

It's nice to be wrong, sometimes. 

• Downvote 1
3 hours ago, benwynn said:

That explains your posts.  

Obviously not a fan of shitlibs, hypocrites or neocons. I just repeated myself.  

21 hours ago, Olsonist said:

Good times.

Yeah, I was reminiscing yesterday too.

22 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:
On 8/19/2021 at 10:54 AM, Excoded Tom said:

Biden's Determined Humility Regarding Afghanistan Is What America Needs Right Now

Sorry as I'll ever be about the Koch-$pon$ored Biden cheerleading.

I misunderestimated Biden on this one badly. Lucky for me, no one else thought it likely he would follow through and bet me.

I figured he would face pressure like this and fold. The pressure came. He didn't fold.

In his testimony, McKenzie indicated that earlier this year, he recommended that Biden leave a residual force of 2,500 troops in Afghanistan, afraid that a complete withdrawal "would lead inevitably to the collapse of the Afghan military forces and, eventually, the Afghan government." Milley confirmed that he agreed with the advice.

Immediately, Republicans seized on this admission: Sen. Ted Cruz (R–Texas) tweeted that the administration "ignored the advice from the military and mislead the American people," and that had their advice been followed, "Biden's botched Afghan withdrawal could have been prevented and American lives could have been saved." Sen. Jim Inhofe (R–Okla.), who had asked the initial question, later tweeted a video in which he criticized the Biden administration for "not listening to his advisors" on the issue.

In the most charitable interpretation of his response, a Washington Post fact check noted that Biden immediately pivoted to talking about how the Taliban, after agreeing to a U.S. withdrawal deadline and abiding by its stipulation against attacks on troops, continued to capture territory throughout Afghanistan, and any effort on the part of the U.S. to try to extend or even expand its presence within the country would not have been taken lightly by an emboldened Taliban now in near-complete control of the country.

The White House contends that this is what the president meant—that nobody advised him he could leave 2,500 troops without risking a return to direct conflict. Whether or not Biden was lying, equivocating, or simply forgetful, the fundamental point remains the same: For all the well-deserved scorn one can heap on Biden's execution of the withdrawal, the only true alternative was not withdrawing at all, and that would have been far worse.

Expand  Expand  

Sorry as usual about the Koch-$pon$ored Biden cheerleading.

On 5/27/2021 at 11:22 AM, Excoded Tom said:

Still willing to bet most anyone that I'm right and we'll still be there in October and beyond.

I was only in for $20. In retrospect, I should have allowed Olsonist to bet. When I lost, offering to pay in Bitcoin would have been funny turnabout.

The Ed at Reason was apparently in for a lot more.

...My own thoroughly jaded worldview dictated that after two decades and $2 trillion, the only two realistic options were to stay in Afghanistan forever or depart in a blaze of chaos. As it happened, we got the latter. But I would have bet a great deal on the former.

I genuinely believed Biden would flinch when costs of departure began to mount, just as his predecessors had done. I subscribed to the "fool me once" school of thought on political promises to end wars.

Old habits die hard, and even now I am not convinced the war is fully over, though the spectacular conflagration U.S. forces left in their wake will make it more difficult to reverse course at this point.

The president doesn't seem inclined to second thoughts, however. "This decision about Afghanistan is not only about Afghanistan," said Biden in his August 31 remarks. "It's about ending an era of major military missions to rebuild other countries." It remains to be seen if this is true. My cynicism may yet be rescued by fresh new foreign adventurism. But at least for now, a forever war has unexpectedly ended in the most predictable way possible.

I can't see any motivation for Biden to get us back into Afghanistan at this point. I guess the Mission in Niger, whatever that is, will continue, so I generally agree that foreign adventurism will continue.