Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm in.  The start is at 10pm on a Friday evening - what could go wrong?

I have gone with the foils, C0 and a cheeky little polish of the important bits.  It seem at the cross-over of light and heavy sails, and the C0 seems more important for the latter parts of the race. 

I will not be at work over the weekend so I am not certain whether I will get an intermediate ranking sorted.

If you have already said you will take part on the Vendee thread, then no need to confirm here.  Otherwise let us know if you are taking part and what your options are.

Enjoy,

TR

• Like 2
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, I find this rather sad, because it is an excellent race course through some really interesting islands, but the inaccuracies of the programme are making it painful.   I take fu

Good morning, Sorry that I didn't do the wrap up yesterday, but I got a chance to have a wander around some WWII air raid tunnels - rather cool. Back to the race.  Well played to shockwave11

Oh dear - the problems of a short term memory and forgetting that programmation on AWA will screw you up if there is the slightest possibility.  Ho Hum! Rankings - 3-May

Posted Images

bone stock .....

so what are the rating hits for all these mods you fuckers are doing? B)

some of you fuckers are taking some interesting routes!!!!

Something happened with my waypoints.  I don't know what.  But my boat took a right turn while I was paying attention to my family, and I lost 20 minutes to the leaders.

3 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

some of you fuckers are taking some interesting routes!!!!

Just checked, some very creative routing going on.

Running with no extras as usual.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Something happened with my waypoints.  I don't know what.  But my boat took a right turn while I was paying attention to my family, and I lost 20 minutes to the leaders.

Attractive area up there Mom but perhaps bit indirect route. Some error no? Tipa. Lud, Lux up there also, odd indeed.

24 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Attractive area up there Mom but perhaps bit indirect route. Some error no? Tipa. Lud, Lux up there also, odd indeed.

The router favored a route up there at the beginning. Didn't go there because it's not worthwhile with either two programing or waypoints.

1 hour ago, mad said:

Just checked, some very creative routing going on.

Running with no extras as usual.

no extras AND I stuck 3 toilet plungers on the keel.. I did file off the handles to a bit of a foil shape, but I'm not overly optimistic ;)

Got reacquainted with VR earlier this year after not really playing since the last VORG.

And it's as shitty as I remember.

But I got couple races under my belt now. Foil, polish, winch crew...let's do this. 

• Like 1

I’m out. This game has become way too frustrating. I’m skirting the southern shore with AWA off so as not to run aground. Everything looks good until my heading changes without me doing anything and guess what? I’m on the rocks. Turn to a northerly heading, position moves off the beach, speed shows I’m moving so I adjust heading in the general direction that I want to go and a couple minutes later, I’m back where I started on the rocks. I’m going for a drive up north instead of watching this thing. 

10 minutes ago, mad said:

Is there an easy way to follow and identify all the SA sailors?

Search their names in the Search box 'player name' and tick the follow button.

On the drop down on rhs tick 'followed boats only' see pic.

You can get all their aliases from the Vendee thread

sticky.jpg

in unrelated news... 

I got one boat going south... image.thumb.png.edea44e63bf5f6f7ca240b81710fe04d.png

and another going north, so close I could ask myself if I had any  Grey Poupon

image.thumb.png.b1ddfd5e06c19e7149d28edc9b90b399.png

2 hours ago, Laser1 said:

You're on the beach btw ;)

VR doing its normal fuckery of position updates.:rolleyes:

52 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

in unrelated news... 

and another going north, so close I could ask myself if I had any  Grey Poupon

Aren't they closing the race on 15th March ?  Bump will roam the Southern Atlantic till eternity :lol:

2 hours ago, Laser1 said:

Search their names in the Search box 'player name' and tick the follow button.

On the drop down on rhs tick 'followed boats only' see pic.

You can get all their aliases from the Vendee thread

sticky.jpg

I follow a few others as well, so i'd have delete those. Easy to spot you by the SA club logo.

2 minutes ago, mad said:

VR doing its normal fuckery of position updates.:rolleyes:

Tell me about it.  Doh ...better not.  Fer fecks sake ... single malt and watch keeping don't mix :angry:

1 minute ago, mad said:

I follow a few others as well, so i'd have delete those. Easy to spot you by the SA club logo.

If you only want to see the SA lot, yes.

1 hour ago, Laser1 said:

Aren't they closing the race on 15th March ?  Bump will roam the Southern Atlantic till eternity :lol:

there are worse fates! 

I jumped in on that one a bit late so I could try to get a feel for this interface.... which I have not :blink:

7 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Turn to a northerly heading, position moves off the beach, speed shows I’m moving so I adjust heading in the general direction that I want to go and a couple minutes later, I’m back where I started on the rocks. I’m going for a drive up north instead of watching this thing. 

You have to wait quite a bit after grounding with those 10-minute-update intervals before changing back to intended course depending how far along in that cycle you are. Learned that the hard i way. I now always wait till the update button shows up, press it and look where i end up. I also don't exit the race gui during that time.

32 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Sailed 1 hour past the mark, lost 16,000 places. Merde!

Try sitting on the beach for 7 hours :lol:

What is your boat name ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Laser1 said:

What is your boat name ?

HelloKitty-Iceland, named by my 7 year old Icelandic grand daughter Ragnhild.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Laser1 said:

What is your boat name ?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that...........as I sailed past :lol:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mad said:

VR

VR at its usual, just spent 20 minutes trying to unlock auto sails as well.

image.png

bummer

7 hours ago, mad said:

VR

VR at its usual, just spent 20 minutes trying to unlock auto sails as well.

Since you're playing that game ....  that was painful to watch .....  not :lol:

Good news is that I picked up 12K places overnight with promise of some more when you lot park up.

1 hour ago, Laser1 said:

Speaking of which.  Mothering Sunday in Britistani land.

The Police started the celebrations early for that one.:wacko:

Thought I gave myself a decent angle to run a locked heading past the south tip of Gotland Is., ended up with the wind just off my nose when I woke up. Better than running aground or doing a 180 while asleep though, which seems to happen more often than not to me! 

weather in the game seems to correlate pretty well with Windy 

image.thumb.png.023c39cb1bbe71e7be8dd4cfae39dc97.png

Good morning,

It was all going so well, but now I have let most of you lot through which is most annoying - trying to cut close margins while going past hard bits = BIG losses.

15-Mar      
00:30UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 344.23
2 viper43 viper640 0.99
3 bbl Gjallarhorn 2.06
4 Gufmiester BigBalls 2.56
5 Your Mom Your Mom SA 3.23
6 Headntac Ryoochi 21.5
7 PB2207 Chi-2207 33.8
8 mred mistered 35
9 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 37.8
10 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 38.9
11 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump 44.5
12 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland 46.3
13 mad Sticky 52.1
14 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 53.7
15 Iced Tea rule69 61.9
16 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 62.2
17 Laser1 Hotfoot 66
18 Shorthanded Shorty 415.8
19 Mid SA_Mid 437.1

I was doing well until a failure in time telling allowed me to sail an hour past the first mark, -16,000 places by time turned around. 

Hoping for improvement in Solo Maitre Coq.

Morning peeps.  Not too many losses when I opened the confuser a moment ago, so that's a positive.

Tricky weather pattern next 24 hrs.

Have good day :P

14 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

There was a very nice pub on the sea front.....  Bugger.

I had my pub break early on at the beaches of Rügen and a late tack around mark one. Since then slowly crawling back some places.

Now navigating the minefield of the Stockholm Schärengarten, trying to avoid duplicating Bouwe on Telefonica Blue.

was it fuckin snowin on the race course last night?

31 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

was it fuckin snowin on the race course last night?

Yes, looked like it. Equals the weather here in south Germany at the moment. Big snowflakes coming down.

• Like 1

Well...  This race is about to get very interesting...  After running aground twice, I'm in "catch up or die trying" mode...  These tiny islands will be very difficult, particularly if the waypoints continue to be unreliable...  But I don't want to take the safe route just to try to catch up to 300th.  I'm banging the left corner.

• Like 1

With VR's iffy waypoints and 10 minute location updates I could see getting stuck in that archipelago forever, just slamming into islands for eternity. Good luck YM. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PB2207 said:

With VR's iffy waypoints and 10 minute location updates I could see getting stuck in that archipelago forever, just slamming into islands for eternity. Good luck YM. 

A strange circle of nautical hell:lol:

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good morning,

It was all going so well, but now I have let most of you lot through which is most annoying - trying to cut close margins while going past hard bits = BIG losses.

15-Mar      
1 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 344.23
2 viper43 viper640 0.99
3 bbl Gjallarhorn 2.06
4 Gufmiester BigBalls 2.56
5 Your Mom Your Mom SA 3.23
6 Headntac Ryoochi 21.5
7 PB2207 Chi-2207 33.8
8 mred mistered 35
9 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 37.8
10 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 38.9
11 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump 44.5
12 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland 46.3
13 mad Sticky 52.1
14 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 53.7
15 Iced Tea rule69 61.9
16 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 62.2
17 Laser1 Hotfoot 66
18 Shorthanded Shorty 415.8
19 Mid SA_Mid 437.1

You've hit the bricks again.

5 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Well...  This race is about to get very interesting...  After running aground twice, I'm in "catch up or die trying" mode...  These tiny islands will be very difficult, particularly if the waypoints continue to be unreliable...  But I don't want to take the safe route just to try to catch up to 300th.  I'm banging the left corner.

image.thumb.png.25e16a73db73b7c2243d549a53e5cdf0.png

You weren't joking about that one:P

Good morning,

I find this rather sad, because it is an excellent race course through some really interesting islands, but the inaccuracies of the programme are making it painful.  

I take full responsibility for cutting things too fine on Sunday night.  But last night, still smarting from all of the lost places, I set a really conservative course, well clear of any islands, after the 15:30UTC forecast change, and still managed to get piled into an island.   My course even shows a double tack which I don't have the ability to do because I'm doing this race on the cheap!

All very frustrating - the only good thing is I'm not paying for it!

Anyway - it will be fun to watch YM's progress through the islands today, and see whether he can catch shockwave who is sailing an excellent race so far.

Rankings:

16-Mar      
1 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 226.38
2 viper43 viper640 2.45
3 Your Mom Your Mom SA 2.88
4 bbl Gjallarhorn 3.89
5 Gufmiester BigBalls 5.72
6 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 41.4
7 PB2207 Chi-2207 42.9
8 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 43.3
9 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump 51.1
10 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland 51.3
11 mred mistered 52
12 Headntac Ryoochi 56
13 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 57
14 mad Sticky 59.1
15 Iced Tea rule69 62.1
16 Laser1 Hotfoot 66.4
17 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 77.8
18 Mid SA_Mid 426.7
19 Shorthanded Shorty 574.3
  • Like 5
29 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

But last night, still smarting from all of the lost places, I set a really conservative course, well clear of any islands, after the 15:30UTC forecast change, and still managed to get piled into an island.   My course even shows a double tack which I don't have the ability to do because I'm doing this race on the cheap!

Same thing just happened to me as well. It's really getting real close to stop playing this game with the inaccuracies of how inputs are handled. Was well clear of all islands only to come back to see i'm aground. Fu**ing annoying. One sets something up only to go back in 20 minutes later to see something different. Happened to me with locked TWA as well. Set e.g. for 45° and coming back in it's suddenly higher or lower.

• Like 3

Thanks for the update TR, I was in the same situation on the last race. I think I hit every island on course no matter how conservative the route, some twice.

Having said that here's my (admittedly stupid) plan of attack for the night. I'll switch it to waypoints after my next gybe and before bed but those are 138-ish TWA headings so...Maybe? Who am I kidding, I'll probably hit something while sleeping even when I switch them to waypoints.

Screenshot_20210315-201738.png

2 hours ago, prettyhatemachine said:

The island dodging looked interesting for exactly 30 seconds before I opted for the safer saner route to the south.

Hello, mate, I didn't realise that you were out to play.  You have been added to the list.

The wind is stronger in the north for the next 4hrs, then stronger in S and swinging northerly, so I'm going to tiptoe through some islands for the next few hours to get the better pressure, and then come back south in time for the wind veering.  Also I am NOT going to be in the islands while I am asleep tonight!  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Marty6 said:

Same thing just happened to me as well. It's really getting real close to stop playing this game with the inaccuracies of how inputs are handled. Was well clear of all islands only to come back to see i'm aground. Fu**ing annoying. One sets something up only to go back in 20 minutes later to see something different. Happened to me with locked TWA as well. Set e.g. for 45° and coming back in it's suddenly higher or lower.

I learn the difficult way to try and make allowances for game quirks and inaccuracies. is frustrating but overall I find simulation entertaining.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

I buggered off for a couple of days and found myself on the beach on Saaremaa Island in Estonia. Missed the Mark rounding, so time to head south. 

Estonia very nice,Tallinn wonderful city.

Good morning,

A successful night!  I didn't hit anything..... surprise, surprise!

The last 24 hours have seen a lot of slow speed island dodging, a few direct hits and generally the top 5 have pulled away from the chasing pack.

A few examples of why things are so frustrating at the moment, without changing anything here are some of the screen shots depending on how VR is feeling at any particular time.

Option 1 - pile into the first island

image.thumb.png.a37a1a6cfb2b471d841804a1a85e567b.png

Option 2 - pile into a different island

image.thumb.png.af82e66b741a191ea4eb6660ea8ff3aa.png

Option 3 Hit a more northerly island

image.thumb.png.afb68b686eaa00907521a283bcdb5a3b.png

I have also managed to get through to programmation 2 and then head NE between the islands, but VR is refusing to show that option any more. EDIT - also note that TWA is supposed to be locked at 98°.

Anyway - enough whinging from me.  Here are the rankings - I expect most people to be finished by tomorrow.  Enjoy yourselves.  shockwave11 - keep concentrating!

17-Mar      
01:00UTC      
1 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 111.61
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA 1.01
3 viper43 viper640 2.76
4 Gufmiester BigBalls 2.89
5 bbl Gjallarhorn 4.17
6 PB2207 Chi-2207 32.8
7 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 33.6
8 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 35.8
9 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 37.2
10 mred mistered 40.9
11 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump 41.2
12 Headntac Ryoochi 41.2
13 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland 44.8
14 mad Sticky 45.1
15 Iced Tea rule69 46.7
16 Laser1 Hotfoot 50.7
17 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 51.6
18 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 52.9
19 Mid SA_Mid 423
20 Shorthanded Shorty 635.7

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good morning,

A successful night!  I didn't hit anything..... surprise, surprise!

The last 24 hours have seen a lot of slow speed island dodging, a few direct hits and generally the top 5 have pulled away from the chasing pack.

A few examples of why things are so frustrating at the moment, without changing anything here are some of the screen shots depending on how VR is feeling at any particular time.

Option 1 - pile into the first island

image.thumb.png.a37a1a6cfb2b471d841804a1a85e567b.png

Option 2 - pile into a different island

image.thumb.png.af82e66b741a191ea4eb6660ea8ff3aa.png

Option 3 Hit a more northerly island

image.thumb.png.afb68b686eaa00907521a283bcdb5a3b.png

I have also managed to get through to programmation 2 and then head NE between the islands, but VR is refusing to show that option any more.

Anyway - enough whinging from me.  Here are the rankings - I expect most people to be finished by tomorrow.  Enjoy yourselves.

17-Mar      
01:00UTC      
1 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 111.61
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA 1.01
3 viper43 viper640 2.76
4 Gufmiester BigBalls 2.89
5 bbl Gjallarhorn 4.17
6 PB2207 Chi-2207 32.8
7 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 33.6
8 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 35.8
9 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 37.2
10 mred mistered 40.9
11 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump 41.2
12 Headntac Ryoochi 41.2
13 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland 44.8
14 mad Sticky 45.1
15 Iced Tea rule69 46.7
16 Laser1 Hotfoot 50.7
17 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 51.6
18 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 52.9
19 Mid SA_Mid 423
20 Shorthanded Shorty 635.7

thanks for posting the stats!

so I see several of these boats on the sim with little green pins stickin in them, but not all.. wondering why?

4 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

thanks for posting the stats!

so I see several of these boats on the sim with little green pins stickin in them, but not all.. wondering why?

Are you following all of them?

13 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Showing excellent marksmanship TR, those islands did not have a chance!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tunnel Rat said:

hmmmmm

4 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

hmmmmm

Bottom right hand button with three heads on it.  Click on that and then add the names to "following".  Some of the names have tricky -_ or spaces.  Good luck.

9 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Bottom right hand button with three heads on it.  Click on that and then add the names to "following".  Some of the names have tricky -_ or spaces.  Good luck.

thanks...

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, mad said:

This doesn't help.

Just reload. The browser program is still very unstable.

31 minutes ago, mad said:

This doesn't help.

Had those quite a few times.  Dunno if it has anything to do my end iwo connectivity or VR servers.  Interweb at work is very slow.

Come to think of it its not brilliant at home either.

ps.: fought back from 73Nm behind (off the beach) to 2.28Nm but not enough runway left to catch you ;)  

36 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Had those quite a few times.  Dunno if it has anything to do my end iwo connectivity or VR servers.  Interweb at work is very slow.

Come to think of it its not brilliant at home either.

ps.: fought back from 73Nm behind (off the beach) to 2.28Nm but not enough runway left to catch you ;)  

I've been watching that, ;)

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

Just reload. The browser program is still very unstable.

If they got rid off some the stupid intro graphics, it would probably improve things.  

They've taken what was a pretty stable platform and upgraded it to piss poor.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, mad said:

If they got rid off some the stupid intro graphics, it would probably improve things.  

They've taken what was a pretty stable platform and upgraded it to piss poor.

They still have problems with memory leaks if you leave the GUI open for a long time. Had that for a long time. So i don't know about pretty stable. Since about 2 years i always first refresh/reload the VR tab before doing anything.

Regardless the ingame change are much more annoying. Handsteering in close proximity to land is almost gone, additionally with the limit of two programming or waypoint entries in free mode you are very limited in areas where multiple course changes are needed in a short time (as in this race amid the minefields). So all forcing people more and more to P2P or P2W by buying full pack.

54 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

They still have problems with memory leaks if you leave the GUI open for a long time. Had that for a long time. So i don't know about pretty stable. Since about 2 years i always first refresh/reload the VR tab before doing anything.

Regardless the ingame change are much more annoying. Handsteering in close proximity to land is almost gone, additionally with the limit of two programming or waypoint entries in free mode you are very limited in areas where multiple course changes are needed in a short time (as in this race amid the minefields). So all forcing people more and more to P2P or P2W by buying full pack.

I never had any issues with this year, its all fairly recent for me.

The loss of hand steering is great loss, especially for this race, making decisions based on "will I, won't I crash" takes a lot of the fun and potential tactics away.  No way I would pay for this.

Sorry, late to the party here. I looked a few days before the race started, obviously before TR set up the thread. Thanks for including me and doing the rankings!

It does seem like there are two competitions, one is the race, the other is figuring out and overcoming the glitches. I’m getting better at both. 
Fun race. Definitely the most technical of any races I’ve done in the past year. Looking forward to race #2 of the series. Gonna take some time off and skip the solo cock race. Congratulations to all finishers!

• Like 1

Hey, a race I finally didn't slam into everything and generally kept it pointed in the right direction! I'll admit I spent some credits on a C0 for that long reach, must have had a sailmaker aboard. It was getting crowded in the rearview mirror and a bone stock boat was just going to get run down on that reach. See everyone on the next one. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mad said:

image.thumb.png.880533d26b7b9c07889286ccb05b0c2a.png

This doesn't help.

I get that all the friggin time and just refresh the page back to the entry screen.. a bit risky in close proximity to a rock, but I think I only hit one this whole race. 

I did chicken out on a couple close rock roundings and take a safer route with waypoints. 

almost done... gotta logout for a zoom meeting!!!

image.thumb.png.37bb48a346dc6f79bfe703d9be9df8c8.png

Solo Maitre Coq  tomorrow, they make the turn about 20km south of my home @ Belle-Île-en-Mer. Anyone else in?

• Like 1