• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, I find this rather sad, because it is an excellent race course through some really interesting islands, but the inaccuracies of the programme are making it painful.   I take fu

Good morning, Sorry that I didn't do the wrap up yesterday, but I got a chance to have a wander around some WWII air raid tunnels - rather cool. Back to the race.  Well played to shockwave11

Oh dear - the problems of a short term memory and forgetting that programmation on AWA will screw you up if there is the slightest possibility.  Ho Hum! Rankings - 3-May

Posted Images

wtf is a programation?

and what is the anemometer looking thing?

i'm thinking there's more available here than apparent wind sailing and waypoints LOL 

29 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

wtf is a programation?

Lol... as a noob to VR it took me till the roaring 40's in the Vendee to work that one out.  Had been hand steering since the start.

Felt pretty stupid though :lol:

• Like 1

You can use either waypoints or programmation at any given time (or neither, but not both at the same time).

If you set waypoints, your boat will sail from waypoint to waypoint.  If you set programmation, your boat will change course as prescribed at specified times.  With hand-steering and programmation (but of course not waypoints), you can either set fixed compass courses or fixed TWA angles (by turning the lock on/off).  Keep in mind that the white line projecting your course won't be precisely accurate, particularly in light and/or shifty winds, so using programmations near land is very risky.  Waypoints are generally the way to go when you're very close to land.  (Although in eNord 1, they had some kind of waypoint bug that f'd up the race for multiple people including me...  although I got back into it and have to admit that my final disappointing result had more to do with how I played the last stretch than the waypoint bug).

If you're racing on credits or totally free, without the "VIP" thing, then you can only set two waypoints or two programmations at any given time.  That gets brutal if you care about your finish time.

If you pay for a full pack, you can set up to 9 waypoints or programmations at any given time.

If you have their monthly VIP service, you get 15 waypoints or programmations at any given time, even if you don't have the full pack.

I've never paid for VIP, as it has historically been a waste of money, IMO.  But I've accumulated a lot of credits, so I've considered that it might make sense if there's a stretch of 2-3 months when I might do several races to pay for VIP for those 2-3 months and then run on "credits with VIP", which at that point would be "better than full packs for less total cost".

Then again, I'm not playing as much as I used to, and I'm enjoying the reduced participation.  You can fall pretty far into the rabbit hole if you aren't careful.  I had no interest in the Tara races, so I've got a decent break until the next eNord.  I'll probably do the next eNord, but I haven't actually signed up yet.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You can use either waypoints or programmation at any given time (or neither, but not both at the same time).

If you set waypoints, your boat will sail from waypoint to waypoint.  If you set programmation, your boat will change course as prescribed at specified times.  With hand-steering and programmation (but of course not waypoints), you can either set fixed compass courses or fixed TWA angles (by turning the lock on/off).  Keep in mind that the white line projecting your course won't be precisely accurate, particularly in light and/or shifty winds, so using programmations near land is very risky.  Waypoints are generally the way to go when you're very close to land.  (Although in eNord 1, they had some kind of waypoint bug that f'd up the race for multiple people including me...  although I got back into it and have to admit that my final disappointing result had more to do with how I played the last stretch than the waypoint bug).

If you're racing on credits or totally free, without the "VIP" thing, then you can only set two waypoints or two programmations at any given time.  That gets brutal if you care about your finish time.

If you pay for a full pack, you can set up to 9 waypoints or programmations at any given time.

If you have their monthly VIP service, you get 15 waypoints or programmations at any given time, even if you don't have the full pack.

I've never paid for VIP, as it has historically been a waste of money, IMO.  But I've accumulated a lot of credits, so I've considered that it might make sense if there's a stretch of 2-3 months when I might do several races to pay for VIP for those 2-3 months and then run on "credits with VIP", which at that point would be "better than full packs for less total cost".

Then again, I'm not playing as much as I used to, and I'm enjoying the reduced participation.  You can fall pretty far into the rabbit hole if you aren't careful.  I had no interest in the Tara races, so I've got a decent break until the next eNord.  I'll probably do the next eNord, but I haven't actually signed up yet.

thanks. 

I'm in for Nord 2 with my boat Gjallarhorn

Thank you Tunnel Rat for doing updates. It feels good to have this mini community here.

• Like 1
On 3/31/2021 at 11:03 PM, Tunnel Rat said:

In for Nord 2 - Foils and a C0.

Note to self: AVOID HARD BITS!

Navigate to aim at hard bits, with VR quirky interface safety assured.

Like TR I go with C0 and foils, I am also planning a Ligne Maginot of empty wine/Ricard bottles, foie gras cans, cigarette butts, old berets and salvaged German ocean mines to anyone with misfortune to fall behind me, plus the extra Brexit mark for my friends across La Manche.  Bonne chance á tous!

• Like 2

duck tape, cigars, coffee and a Code are all I'm taking with me on this trip...

8 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

ain't going with thou then , seem to be missing a vital provision ......

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

1 hour ago, Mid said:

ain't going with thou then , seem to be missing a vital provision ......

WD40......?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

WD40......?

pray peruse Monsieur Jean's list ....

Evo used to bring poodles... I was always afraid they'd eat my cigars

• Like 1

It’s 1000 miles to St. Petersburg...I’ve got a full tank of gas, a half pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and Ill be wearing sunglasses...

• Like 2

revised gear list:  one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.

• Like 1
On 4/5/2021 at 1:49 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

revised gear list:  one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.

I suggest not landing anywhere in Baltic, if wish go to jail a handgun is excellent path. 

1 hour ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

I suggest not landing anywhere in Baltic, if wish go to jail a handgun is excellent path. 

are you not familiar with that list? anyway, odds are pretty good I wont be going anywhere near the actual baltic for a while, so I'll keep my virtual gun on my virtual boat, thanks for the warning though! ;)

• Like 1
Just now, Bump-n-Grind said:

are you not familiar with that list? anyway, odds are pretty good I wont be going anywhere near the actual baltic for a while, so I'll keep my virtual gun on my virtual boat, thanks for the warning though! ;)

Cleary I am not familiar but admit imperfect English except as related to air traffic/aviation operations. I now assume I have again publicly embarrassed myself, I suspect not for final time.

1 minute ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Cleary I am not familiar but admit imperfect English except as related to air traffic/aviation operations. I now assume I have again publicly embarrassed myself, I suspect not for final time.

hehehe no worries mate, it's a line from the movie "Dr Strangelove". early 1960s film about the cold war.. I recommend it. Explains a lot about American culture.... not that I'm inferring that that's a good thing ;)

5 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

hehehe no worries mate, it's a line from the movie "Dr Strangelove". early 1960s film about the cold war.. I recommend it. Explains a lot about American culture.... not that I'm inferring that that's a good thing ;)

My daughters say I am a constant embarrassment, so I am accustomed to looking the fool! I do vaguely recall that film although I think is 50 years since I see, if streaming I will rewatch.

In the spirit of global fraternité I will be chopping off your keel snd rudders the night prior to the race, sending a pack.of Danish drug dogs to visit your boat, and adorning your boat with " Putin is gay"  and "Russia sucks" stickers which should assure you a warm Russian welcome in St. Petersburg. 

• Like 3

excellent

• Like 1

Quick bump to prod all you lazy b'stards with a reminder to leave those pretty shore crew alone and get your arses out to the starting line.

I'm out for beers and a curry with a gang of mates this evening meeting in the pub at 18:00.  Race start time 21:00 local time.  What can go wrong?

one last little mod to the boat.. ok ready.. 

image.png.ca130853c21b8c6c04be5bd962f5db61.png

• Like 1

anything you can do , I can do better .........................

1.thumb.jpg.3d9d3b3cfc17fa03a8f42d9b353058d9.jpg

• Like 2

hehehe

image.png.00bc9c8b3745db2326b797eb41fc955f.png

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Mid said:

that's what we want to see , nicely loaded foredeck :P

the etrade video was pretty funny.. "there are dogs with better lives than you ..."

1 hour ago, Mid said:

anything you can do , I can do better .........................

1.thumb.jpg.3d9d3b3cfc17fa03a8f42d9b353058d9.jpg

This allows you to strike the land with more force? Excellent plan.

39 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

the etrade video was pretty funny.. "there are dogs with better lives than you ..."

My dogs nod heads then go for nap in sun, I return to raking out tons of expensive stone on my driveway.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mid said:

crews arrived

ngcb1

ngcb1

Toy-poodle-in-travel-bag.jpg?fit=999,459

your crew eh?

my crew...

image.png.4973c2c3c44bdbad197dc4cd990032a9.png

2 hours ago, Laser1 said:

You win ....

nahhh, aint won nuthin, but I got better scenery ;)

12 minutes ago, Mid said:

57,633 now damn poodles missed a sail change :(

set up auto sail change?

3 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

set up auto sail change?

had , run outa hrs 

good for 24 at a time.. how'd ya do that? LOL did you start early?

ok mate, I'ma drop one of the girls overboard, pick her up on your way by, she knows how to work the console ;)

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

your crew eh?

my crew...

image.png.4973c2c3c44bdbad197dc4cd990032a9.png

No wonder you are not concentrating on the sailing!

It's going to get very light in about 9 hours. Lots of opportunities to screw it all up. The strategy, I mean. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

It's going to get very light in about 9 hours. Lots of opportunities to screw it all up. The strategy, I mean. 

Oars at ready.

mid is hooking the harnesses up to the poodles dogsled style...

image.png.95ed524ac4d2af00d94d16beb4335dae.png

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Indeed, wind direction changing dramatically and now looks tougher to make the mark with a easy route than 3 hours ago.

This mark rounding is going to be massively important...  Fleet compression inbound, with wind dying and going forward.  If you get around and get back out into the building breeze on a hot angle, you can extend.  If not, you're beating into 2 kts trying to get around the damn mark while the fleet sails away.

I set up for a hotter angle inbound, but I'm worried the wind might get too far forward before I arrive.  I'm set on waypoints...  I'll either get around or be in irons.  Reminds me of a Sunfish regatta when I was maybe 10 years old and didn't properly understand yet that if you were on the layline and got headed, you couldn't keep pointing at the mark...  I spent several minutes in irons getting increasingly embarrassed and angry while the fleet sailed around me.

• Like 2

I kinda made it.  I was sailing at TWA 27.5 by the time I turned the corner.  But I had my waypoints set for a very nice tight rounding and I figured I'd lose more on a poor hand-steered rounding than on luffing all the way around.  Max VMG in 2.0 kts windspeed is 1.3 at TWA 48, but even at TWA 27, the VMG is still 1.0, so I probably just lost a few minutes.  Plenty of sailing left to do.

I was curious if sailing at 25-30 degrees with a great rounding and waypoints set was better than pinching early and manually rounding. From my perspective it was even. My mistake was after rounding sailing too low too soon

So, I tried hand steering round a mark for the first time ever, and it was massively not working. The client and the server were lagging, so I had no idea when it was safe to gybe. Doubled the distance to the leaders. First and last time I'm hand steering around a mark in VR unless they fix their software.

Anyway, this loss annoyed me so much that I tilted and set my course to cut the corner north just before going to bed. Woke to double distance to leaders again. This time deservedly so!

If you don't have VIP or full pack and need more than one (waypoint) or two (programmation including wind change risk) direction changes in a short time frame for the rounding there is no other way than by doing it with handsteering. The minimum distance/time required relative to the boat/previous point for setting them also hinders you when already close to the mark.

re: hand steering around a mark

I also do not entirely trust the refresh button. 

I've taken to logging in and out between observations and maneuvers 

3 or 4 times I've tried to hand steer around a mark relying on refresh to update to accurate position and been deeply disappointed LOL

I expect the poodles are safely on the bricks, I'm at work and don't have. nor want the app on the blower... 

50 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

re: hand steering around a mark

I also do not entirely trust the refresh button. 

I've taken to logging in and out between observations and maneuvers 

3 or 4 times I've tried to hand steer around a mark relying on refresh to update to accurate position and been deeply disappointed LOL

I did hand steer around mark 2 and worked fine for first time. As on Kindle/iPhone I use login/logout technique as no refresh button.

2 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

I did hand steer around mark 2 and worked fine for first time. As on Kindle/iPhone I use login/logout technique as no refresh button.

Changing something and logging out and in again too soon is also dangerous since sometimes still to old data will be shown. I handsteered around mark 2 and it worked ok staying in the game, i just wait for 1-2 clients position changes before i do something. Not the closest rounding but ok .The update sets you back for a very short time since the button becomes only active 2-3 minutes after the time he updates to (e.g. 11:23 for 11:20 update).

31 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

Changing something and logging out and in again too soon is also dangerous since sometimes still to old data will be shown. I handsteered around mark 2 and it worked ok staying in the game, i just wait for 1-2 clients position changes before i do something. Not the closest rounding but ok .The update sets you back for a very short time since the button becomes only active 2-3 minutes after the time he updates to (e.g. 11:23 for 11:20 update).

I do same, not closest but safe under circumstance.

6 hours ago, Mid said:

I expect the poodles are safely on the bricks, I'm at work and don't have. nor want the app on the blower... 

ya might wanna whip a 180 if ya get a chance in the next hour or so ;)

45 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

ya might wanna whip a 180 if ya get a chance in the next hour or so ;)

done :)

• Like 1

Good morning,

We have been going for about 60 hours - and I haven't hit anything yet!!  I will admit that my rounding of Mark 2 was less than clinical, but with only two waypoints to work with it was the lesser of a selection of evils, but more efficient than some in this fleet.....  Wethog in particular seemed to write a particularly flamboyant signature around that mark, but I am uncertain that he ever rounded it.

Chi gets high marks for the rebound distance off the southern side of Mark 3.  The usual suspects are heading up the fleet.  It looks as though there are not going to be many passing opportunities between here and the finish - looks like a beam reach for most of it.  There should be time for another update tomorrow.

Enjoy.

12-Apr      
00:00UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 318.62
2 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 0.37
3 viper43 viper640 0.8
4 Gufmiester BigBalls 1.82
5 bbl Gjallarhorn 2.67
6 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 8.88
7 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland 9.87
8 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 13.2
9 Laser1 Hotfoot 15
10 mred mistered 18.1
11 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 20.2
12 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump 26.8
13 PB2207 Chi-2207 44.5
14 Shorthanded Shorty 80.9
15   Flaming 86.3
16 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 131.3
17 mad Sticky 142.8
18 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 172.7
19 Mid SA_Mid 287.5
20 Headntac Ryoochi DNS
21 Iced Tea rule69 DNS

• Like 3

I was sailing a relatively clean race until late morning when I was applying bottom paint to the real boat and I ran aground. Oh well, we splash in a couple of weeks so let the real fun begin. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mid said:

bloody poodles :rolleyes:

shoulda got em spayed!!!!

• Like 1

My kingdom for a copy of @Your Mom 's 24 hrs route forecast :rolleyes:

Southern/middle route banging the corners does not look too bad although 2/2.5 hour gibes along the North bank looks promising too.

3 hours ago, Laser1 said:

My kingdom for a copy of @Your Mom 's 24 hrs route forecast :rolleyes:

Southern/middle route banging the corners does not look too bad although 2/2.5 hour gibes along the North bank looks promising too.

Zezo would give you the basic concept, but of course I'm adjusting every time the forecast updates.  The loose plan is...  stay near 60N, and play the shifts.

But...  We're looking at heavy fleet compression conditions continuously all the way to the finish.  Expect a pileup where no matter how good or bad (but not terrible) your routing is, you're gaining on those ahead and seeing the guys you put away yesterday coming back.  Very tight margins at the finish.  Maybe only a few minutes from first to 300th.

So if you're a bit behind, keep the hammer down and maybe you'll produce a surprisingly good result.  And if you're up front, then anticipate stress and aggravation.

• Like 2

Good morning,

So much for yesterday's prediction that there wouldn't be many passing lanes - there were lots of opportunities in the islands yesterday and with low speed gybing to the finish - even more possibilities.

Anyway - I have work to do so here are the rankings.

There will be a wrap up tomorrow with the final results.

13-Apr      
00:30UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 98.87
2 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 3.11
3 viper43 viper640 0.98
4 Gufmiester BigBalls 2.59
5 bbl Gjallarhorn 2.05
6 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine 2.49
7 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland 45.6
8 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 10.7
9 Laser1 Hotfoot 4.47
10 mred mistered 4.21
11 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 12.6
12 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump 15.7
13 PB2207 Chi-2207 23.8
14 Shorthanded Shorty 79.5
15   Flaming 96.1
16 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 163.4
17 mad Sticky 212.1
18 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 225
19 Mid SA_Mid 379.6
20 Headntac Ryoochi DNS
21 Iced Tea rule69 DNS
  • Like 3
41 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

TR I think decimal calculations for me incorrect, I should be back 13-14 place.

We know :lol:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Laser1 said:

We know :lol:

Worse now aground again, but good excuse as was shot in hand by friend hunting and spend day A&E. 

2 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Worse now aground again, but good excuse as was shot in hand by friend hunting and spend day A&E. 

Hey - don't try and turn this into a gun thread - there will be a host of invaders from PA coming over the barricades any second now! :o

3 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Hey - don't try and turn this into a gun thread - there will be a host of invaders from PA coming over the barricades any second now! :o

Pfffttt, 2nd time in life, 1st Chad 1974. Obvious will never have this person on property again. Oh aground once more. Merde!

Good morning,

Firstly, @Jean-Baptiste I hope you recover rapidly.  Secondly, don't make it a habit! Thirdly, stop playing pinball with that shore line!!

So about half of our fleet are finished.  Nicely played to Mom.  A very honourable mention to @Laser1 for an excellent finish - although rude noises for sneaking past me while I slept - not very sporting.

I will do a final wrap up this time tomorrow with the series placings so far - I know it is going to be close at the top.

Enjoy your Wednesday.

14-Apr                
Place SA Name Boat Name DTF Days Hours Minutes Seconds Overall Finish
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA   4 4 10 10 28
2 viper43 viper640       11 41 204
3 Gufmiester BigBalls       22 8 480
4 bbl Gjallarhorn       39 15 881
5 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11       48 57 1,072
6 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine       53 4 1,144
7 Laser1 Hotfoot     1 22 44 1,634
8 mred mistered     1 23 53 1,653
9 Tunnel Rat Mongrel     2 24 52 2,918
10 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC     2 32 30 3,123
11 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump     4 15 45 6,017
12 PB2207 Chi-2207     5 16 24 7,530
13 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland 8.38          
14   Flaming 36.4          
15 Shorthanded Shorty 43.82          
16 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 71.7          
17 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 108.4          
18 mad Sticky 109.3          
19 Mid SA_Mid 283.2          
20 Iced Tea rule69 DNS          
21 Headntac Ryoochi DNS          

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good morning,

Firstly, @Jean-Baptiste I hope you recover rapidly.  Secondly, don't make it a habit! Thirdly, stop playing pinball with that shore line!!

So about half of our fleet are finished.  Nicely played to Mom.  A very honourable mention to @Laser1 for an excellent finish - although rude noises for sneaking past me while I slept - not very sporting.

I will do a final wrap up this time tomorrow with the series placings so far - I know it is going to be close at the top.

Enjoy your Wednesday.

14-Apr                
Place SA Name Boat Name DTF Days Hours Minutes Seconds Overall Finish
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA   4 4 10 10 28
2 viper43 viper640       11 41 204
3 Gufmiester BigBalls       22 8 480
4 bbl Gjallarhorn       39 15 881
5 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11       48 57 1,072
6 prettyhatemachine prettyhatemachine       53 4 1,144
7 Laser1 Hotfoot     1 22 44 1,634
8 mred mistered     1 23 53 1,653