Consensus on Best Performing Sails (Brand) on J/99?

Any quantified information out there yet on which sails are performing better on the J/99?  With limited data, it may be too soon to see any kind of a meaningful trend.  And, I realize without a singular boat/crew having tried multiple options, any assessments may tend to be highly subjective.  Just wondering if there’s a consensus that may be starting to evolve.  North? Quantum? Others?

Curious to hear what you think.

Thanks!

Depends on how much you want to spend. You could blow the bank on North or Doyle and sail the wrong way up the beat or you could spend a little less and go the right way

For sailman... Chesapeake Bay

For JL92S... Yes, I think I knew that.

Thanks!

I don't know anything about the J/99 in particular, but as it's a new class you might contact the big guys, like North and Quantum, and see who has turned their one design sail development teams lose on it. Last I know, North had a big team, Quantum a medium team and Doyle a guy who knows software and CFD. 

• Like 1
On 3/12/2021 at 9:15 AM, JL92S said:

Depends on how much you want to spend. You could blow the bank on North or Doyle and sail the wrong way up the beat or you could spend a little less and go the right way

I’ve crewed for FC and can vouch that he “knows which way to go”  and so the question he’s asking is if he’s going the right way, does spending more get him there faster...

ie is someone’s J/99 sail development program paying notable dividends assuming he (as always has done) put together a top notch crew, and goes the “right way?”

• Like 1

I would use this formula:

X = (local sailmaker with engagement and willingness to help) * (sailmaker who understand the type of sailing you do + rating rule) * (proven track record w multiple boats in J/88+J/111 one-design fleets * J/99+J/121 offshore)^2. If necessary divide by price * douchiness.

• Like 6

FC, 

You might want to try and track down J/99 “La Cinquieme.” They are out of St. Mike's, new to them boat, and they have a brand new set of Q's. They might be able to shed some light at least locally.

• Like 1

Of course I have to disclose a personal attachment here.. But Quantum J-99 Sails are absolutely fantastic. I have tons of excellent photos and data of sails sold from US, South America and Europe, in addition to being part of our initial sail testing in Newport.

https://www.quantumsails.com/en/resources-and-expertise/news/getting-excited-about-the-all-new-j-99

I would bet good money that Quantum has built more J-99 sails than anyone else- including North.  The local chesapeake J- dealer has also ordered our sails- so feel free to verify.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Of course I have to disclose a personal attachment here.. But Quantum J-99 Sails are absolutely fantastic. I have tons of excellent photos and data of sails sold from US, South America and Europe, in addition to being part of our initial sail testing in Newport.

https://www.quantumsails.com/en/resources-and-expertise/news/getting-excited-about-the-all-new-j-99

I would bet good money that Quantum has built more J-99 sails than anyone else- including North.  The local chesapeake J- dealer has also ordered our sails- so feel free to verify.

Very good information, SpecialK.  Glad to hear Quantum is well engaged in J/99 sail design and testing.  I've been a customer of Quantum for years.  But wanted to see what else is out there and who may be emerging as the leader in the J/99 market.  

Thanks for your post!

...FC

On 3/16/2021 at 10:35 AM, jackolantern said:

KK at Quantum really is the best Jboats designer out there. 

Had North sails on our old J boat but swapped to Quantum with our J88 5 years ago. We used Kerry from Quantum have been very competitive in all fleets. Even sailing vs boats with unlimited sail budgets.  

• Like 2

Thanks jackolantern and Hallpass.  Very helpful info.  Interesting to hear Hallpass' first hand account of switching from North to Quantum with Kerry's sail designs doing well in his J88.  Short of comparing North and Quantum sails on the same hull-numbered boat, that's about as good as a comparison as one could expect. 

Quite an endorsement of KK and Q!

Thank you!

...FC

• 1 month later...

FC,

My 2 cents on the matter, if North are doing a sail optimization program for the J/99 and you can spring for a set of 3Di’s, I would absolutely 100% go that route. Doyle has matching technology, Q does not and their paneled sail build quality is hit or miss. I will know shortly how their Fusion sail build quality is. Please note I am picky, most of my small boat sails come from boutique lofts where the sail is built right, and I can do my own in-house sewing as well, so know what is good and what is bad.  The service from Q is good.

Where Q do tend to really shine are with their spinnakers, the shapes are awesome and the build quality up to snuff. If I had my choice right now it would be a set of North 3Di working sails marred to a Q downwind inventory.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...