Not this year, still wranging with the auxiliary a bit too much to want to take the trip. Hopefully next year. It's an overnight delivery each way for us

Why is this race so expensive? Are they going to use the raised funds to cure cancer, rebuild a burnt black church or help those unfortunates who been affected by Covid-19?

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 12.30.37 PM.png

26 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

2 teams from Utah will be there... a Melges 24 and I’ll be on the Farr 30.

Awesome, thanks for coming out. The parties aren't gonna be much but the racing should be great.

• Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 12:29 PM, Black Jack said:

Why is this race so expensive? Are they going to use the raised funds to cure cancer, rebuild a burnt black church or help those unfortunates who been affected by Covid-19?

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 12.30.37 PM.png

Well some regatta had to take over for KWRW for people to complain about how expensive it is.....

21 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Downtown Charleston is wide open with 2:00am last calls at all bars.  Our Gubnor thinks COVID is over so bring it!

Great! a few more good boats will be available soon. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So how did it go folks?  I didn't participate this year, but checked things out from the power boat on Sunday.  Melges and VX circles seemed to be having a great time. J24 circle not so much....They were screwed by the circle location, commercial traffic and wind direction.  

We had a blast.  We couldn't figure out how to get good boat speed and good maneuvers to happen at the same time however.  We'll just say we learned a lot.  

RC was good out on Course 3.  Docking with all the current was a challenge.  I missed the official socializing of pre-covid regattas but we made due.

Charleston is beautiful.  The weather was great.  Plenty of bars and restaurants.  I would go back for sure.

• Like 2
On 4/12/2021 at 8:45 AM, RobbieB said:

So how did it go folks?  I didn't participate this year, but checked things out from the power boat on Sunday.  Melges and VX circles seemed to be having a great time. J24 circle not so much....They were screwed by the circle location, commercial traffic and wind direction.  

I was on a J24. The first race and the last two were pretty screwy. The wind was so shifty and the current was so strong we one tacked the windward mark, reached to the downwind mark with the spin up, doused, rounded, and the current was so strong we set on the way back to the upwind mark. The second race was worse, the RC used a small orange ball instead of a tetrohedrion for the course right gate. They radioed to "pretend it was an orange tet" but apparently half the fleet didn't hear, so half rounded it to starboard as a gate and the other half treated it as a single mark and rounded to port. Numerous bumps were had and that race got abandoned. The rest of the regatta went fairly smoothly once the wind settled and the RC got their act together until the last day, which again was a one tacker on the upwind and beam reach on the downwind. Tons of shipping traffic interrupted starts. Rough regatta for circle 4

On 4/13/2021 at 12:43 PM, Swimsailor said:

We had a blast.  We couldn't figure out how to get good boat speed and good maneuvers to happen at the same time however.  We'll just say we learned a lot.  

RC was good out on Course 3.  Docking with all the current was a challenge.  I missed the official socializing of pre-covid regattas but we made due.

Charleston is beautiful.  The weather was great.  Plenty of bars and restaurants.  I would go back for sure.

Thanks for coming, was a great weekend of sailing. I know Sunday was a little challenging but it worked out. was on circle 3 with you on a 105. As a local was happy how it all worked out!!

• Like 1

We were there, the other Utah boat like @Swimsailor , a Melges 24 on Circle 2.  We had our own issues, mostly just time in boat.  We'd get a race going well and then make a mistake turning a corner or something else.  It was frustrating as I know we could have done better but we learned a lot about the boat.  Beautiful place but I have been there a few times with family in Beaufort.  Already making plans for next year.  The drive though...good thing we did Miami in March.  The plan is to do the whole Miami series and then Charleston.  I did the cannonball run back leaving on Sunday, arrived home on Tuesday afternoon and the boat is in the boat park here, under a foot of snow.  

• Like 1