VC Offshore in Fresh Water

Hi,

We just bought a Farr 30 that had VC Offshore applied a few years ago so we need to re-paint.  I'm trying to decide whether to stick with Offshore or go to VC17.  I primarily sail in fresh water - Lake Ontario - and have to wet sail.

For anyone that's using Offshore in fresh weater, how much cleaning is needed?  

When the bottoms are clean, is there any consensus as to which paint is faster?

I like the idea of a hard paint that I can burnish but the ease of using VC17 is attractive too.

Thanks.

VC Offshore is not meant for fresh water. VC17 is. Black Widow says "for all waters." I don't think there's much difference in how fast they are when they are clean.

There is no connection between the two paints. At all, except letters in the name.

We used VC Offshore (Baltoplate) on the First 36.7 in Lake Superior, and it was the bomb. Smooth, fast, no growth (not like thats a huge problem here) and lasted for years.

Switching will take a real good strip or a sodablast.

We used VC Offshore on a traditional steel (fully epoxy faired) raceboat. Great results on fresh water in the Netherlands (high growth). We cleaned with red scotchbrite cleaning (not sanding) pads which both easily took off any slime and did some burnishing.

We cleaned 2 times a season. A single swipe with the scotchbrite pad took the slime off. 

For application: wear your PPE (suit, mask, glasses, gloves..)! nasty nasty stuff.

The ultrasleek bottoms are currently pretty popular. While investigating to switch, we learned that nothing really bonds well to VC Offshore. Most professionals we talked to, really pressed to not try and prime or otherwise bridge a VC offshore bottom. So indeed sodablasting (in a paint boot) is the only clean way to take it off. For small patches we used heat. It works but quite messy. With that in mind, we just stuck to VC Offshore which worked great.

6 hours ago, DSYHS said:

we learned that nothing really bonds well to VC Offshore

absolutely not true of VC Offshore. Absolutely true of VC 17

Doug, 

VC17 is much less work then the offshore. However the offshore can definitely be polished out nicer then the 17. When I had the 36.7 I did offshore, a coat of blue and then 5 coats of red all rolled on. Wet sanded out to 400 the first year and then a quick wet sand with 600 the next six years never repainting, it wasn't till year 6 or 7 that specs of blue where showing thru. On the 105 it came with vc 17 and this weekend I removed all of the 10 year build up off the keel and rudder and will be changing them to the offshore.

I was tempted to go with Black Widow but found out that it is not as hard as the offshore.

17 hours ago, Myouri said:

Doug, 

VC17 is much less work then the offshore. However the offshore can definitely be polished out nicer then the 17. When I had the 36.7 I did offshore, a coat of blue and then 5 coats of red all rolled on. Wet sanded out to 400 the first year and then a quick wet sand with 600 the next six years never repainting, it wasn't till year 6 or 7 that specs of blue where showing thru. On the 105 it came with vc 17 and this weekend I removed all of the 10 year build up off the keel and rudder and will be changing them to the offshore.

I was tempted to go with Black Widow but found out that it is not as hard as the offshore.

Thanks Paul.  How much cleaning are you doing on LE with offshore vs. VC 17?  I suspect that it would be similar for me.

Boat is usually launched Mid May with first cleaning needed mid July and usually not much. By mid August you need to go every two to three weeks for a swim. Not a ton of difference between the two but I believe offshore gives you a smoother finish. The VC 17 less work. I believe Teddy is also using offshore. If the present paint is balto plate and is in good shape I would give it a fresh coat of either balto plate or offshore and call it a day. If it is in really good shape no bare spots just give it a wet sand with 400 or 600 and be done with it.

You may have less cleaning in LO as it is a little colder than LE.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Myouri said:

Black Widow dries harder and is harder to burnish than vc offshore. its antifouling also works much better than offshore.

Ryley,

I was real tempt to switch to the Widow, but the technical guy at Pettit claims it is not as hard as Offshore. I also still have a bad taste from the days of having to remove vivid from the 36.7 because of it flaking off. Never had a problem with offshore just can't get it in white. We have very little fouling problems in Lake Erie as the boats are only in the water for 18-20 weeks and the first cleaning is usually 8-10 weeks into the season.

Ryley,

As a FYI I have a 22 year old son who is moving to Boston this summer he maybe looking to hook up to Boston racing season.

7 hours ago, Myouri said:

Boat is usually launched Mid May with first cleaning needed mid July and usually not much. By mid August you need to go every two to three weeks for a swim. Not a ton of difference between the two but I believe offshore gives you a smoother finish. The VC 17 less work. I believe Teddy is also using offshore. If the present paint is balto plate and is in good shape I would give it a fresh coat of either balto plate or offshore and call it a day. If it is in really good shape no bare spots just give it a wet sand with 400 or 600 and be done with it.

You may have less cleaning in LO as it is a little colder than LE.

Great - this seems like the way to go. The bottom will need a coat but it is older offshore that I'm covering.  The bay that I'm in is fairly warm but probably similar to what your end of the lake is like.  I looked at Black Widow but the fact that it's not available in Canada made the decision easy.  Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

These guys have a pretty good reputation for finishing racing boat bottoms and have some recommendations. From Waterline Systems' website "For boats sailed in fresh water, we like VC-17. We think it has the most effective antifouling properties, but the thinness of the coating makes it a single-season paint."

It's what we've used for the past ~20 years in Detroit/Lake Huron/Lake Michigan and we've never had issues with it as long as you have it wiped every ~2 weeks or so. At the speeds most displacement boats sail, getting a finish greater than 600 grit sand paper is largely a waste (see attached) and you can get that with VC-17.

sanding_chart.jpg