Help me find my next boat

I'm living in Indiana, walking distance to sailing club.  Club application states "Boats over 20ft to a Max of 27 ft required prior approval." Ramp launch only.  Medium size lake, lots of power boat traffic.  Concession to family (4 yo & wife) would be nice to have a cabin & porta potty.

Last year missed out no a Santana 2023R.  (COVID, unemployment, closed border complicate potential transaction)  To my mind this would still be a top choice.

Others in consideration, Ultimate 20, Holder 20 or foregoing the cabin; SR-21, SB3 / SB20, Viper 640.  A Santana 2023A just popped up that is said to be a TM version.  

Anyone have leads or suggestions for other boats to consider?

16 minutes ago, Peacefrog said:

S2 7.9.

this

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LakeBoy said:

I'm living in Indiana, walking distance to sailing club.  Club application states "Boats over 20ft to a Max of 27 ft required prior approval." Ramp launch only.  Medium size lake, lots of power boat traffic.  Concession to family (4 yo & wife) would be nice to have a cabin & porta potty.

Last year missed out no a Santana 2023R.  (COVID, unemployment, closed border complicate potential transaction)  To my mind this would still be a top choice.

Others in consideration, Ultimate 20, Holder 20 or foregoing the cabin; SR-21, SB3 / SB20, Viper 640.  A Santana 2023A just popped up that is said to be a TM version.  

I am very partial to the Viper. I have had 5 of them over the years and sailed it with my son when he was 4 yo. and its easy to ramp launch .......BUT.....it doesnt have a cabin or space for porta potty and it is very sporty so might not be the family casual outing boat that you are looking for. The SB3/20 is also not the right choice.  The Ultimate 20 is probbaly what you are looking for.

Not sure about water ballast in the Santana but it probably makes it easier to trailer .

• Like 1

The older Santana 23 with a daggerboard/lift keel is a great boat. It's the same hull as the 2023C, but has significantly taller (more PITA) mast and more horsepower. The problem with them is that they are all old and were not built to last... somewhat the same issue with the 2023C but minus 20 years.

The 2023 sails pretty well, though. The water ballast makes it a bit tender but a lot lighter to trailer.

Oday/Stuart Mariner?

Seems like pickings are kinda slim this spring. There should be a lot of Highlanders up your way, that boat does not have a real cabin but it sure has a heck of a lot of space up under the foredeck.

FB- Doug

19 hours ago, Geff said:

F24 or F27.  Or, as was stated prior, S2 7.9.

Geff is my multihull God, but with a 27, you're looking at close to 5K, not Mom's van.  Even the 24 is too much on a small lake. (too fast)  Get a highlander/lightning and teach your wife/kids to take lake dumps.  If there is 1-d on the lake, buy that.  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

U20 is a bomber in light air and easy to trailer. Not so easy to power through boat wake chop.

I was thinking about light air performance but hadn't been giving equal weight to powering through chop.  Thanks!

12 hours ago, hard aground said:

Great find, appreciate the assistance.  Will add to the list.  One question.  Whats it rate?

Okay, maybe two questions.  Looks like the shrouds are inline.  Would a S2 6.9 be a candidate for a backstay crane & fat head main?

31 minutes ago, LakeBoy said:

I was thinking about light air performance but hadn't been giving equal weight to powering through chop.  Thanks!

Great find, appreciate the assistance.  Will add to the list.  One question.  Whats it rate?

Okay, maybe two questions.  Looks like the shrouds are inline.  Would a S2 6.9 be a candidate for a backstay crane & fat head main?

I like this guy

I vote we keep him

FB- Doug

Santana 20 is a good light air lake boat.  Not nearly as much interior as a Santana 23 but enough to get by if you're not looking for first class accommodations 

54 minutes ago, psycho tiller said:

Santana 20 is a good light air lake boat.  Not nearly as much interior as a Santana 23 but enough to get by if you're not looking for first class accommodations 

My dad had hull 6  Fun/lively boat to sail.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, LakeBoy said:
On 3/13/2021 at 9:05 PM, hard aground said:

Just got a message from the (now former) owner that the boat sold over the weekend.

Will add S2 6.9 to the option list.

This year is a seller's market for boats. It's crazy... several other threads about how difficult it is, as a buyer, to find what you want and get to it before somebody else buys it.

FB- Doug

What does "medium size lake" mean? Smaller than Superior, larger than McGillicutty's Pond?

Near is nice, but I'd drive an hour or two to sail without powerboats nearby. What an unpleasant thought: "Lots of powerboat traffic."

• Like 1
2 hours ago, El Borracho said:

What does "medium size lake" mean? Smaller than Superior, larger than McGillicutty's Pond?

Near is nice, but I'd drive an hour or two to sail without powerboats nearby. What an unpleasant thought: "Lots of powerboat traffic."

McElligott’s Pool?

• Like 1

Yeah, it is a matter of perspective.  I grew up sailing on a 210 acre lake.  The state park lakes I visited were about 700 acres.  

Where I am now is 1900 acres or about 2.953 sq miles.  I'd like to sail on bigger water but adding approx two hours drive & rigging time before and after an outing seems prohibitive when the sailing club is 2 blocks away and I also have a dock on the lake.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, LakeBoy said:

@VWAP

Ummmmm.......     NO

:lol:

We've had friends with those, West Wight Potter 19. Not a bad little boat if the wind is blowing 10 ~ 12. But it's certainly not in the same category as the S2 or Santana

If your goal is to find something fun to sail and don't care about pride, a Venture or Mac 25 is a good inexpensive choice.

Another possibility, if you can stomach their looks, is the Hunter 23.5 or 240 (same boat slightly different details). They are incredibly roomy, sail fairly well (still not in the S2 or Santana category), the open transom/ladder makes it a great platform on playing on/in the water plus pulling up to a beach, and the water ballast makes it easier to trailer as long as you don't back it into something

FB- Doug

On 3/13/2021 at 7:25 AM, LakeBoy said:

https://sailingtexas.com/202101/ssantana20140.html

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/90263

So you are on Geist Reservoir near the Indianapolis Sailing club. How about a Capri 22 or Merit 22. Somehow I think you know a little bit more about boats than you let on. Didn’t you used to own a Hobie 33?

Hot tip for Geist. Watch for people grilling out on shore. Expect a micro puff when they light up their gas grill. Noted light air venue.

• Like 1
On 3/14/2021 at 12:01 PM, psycho tiller said:

really nice one has popped up

https://sailingtexas.com/202101/ssantana20140.html

another nice option  O25

https://www.sailingtexas.com/202101/solson25109.html

@Callahan Guilty as charged on the Hobie 33.  Most recent of about a dozen boats I have owned starting with a wooden Sunfish.  (Did you know Alcort used to sell plywood kits so you could build your own?)  

Wasn't trying to be coy or play dumb.  Thought I asked a legit question.  I am looking at these boats.  Can you please help me find one that is not getting the use it should so I can inquiry about buying her.  As @Steam Flyer said, the pickings in the ads are pretty slim this spring.  Hoping to locate a "barn find" that given a little prompting the owner would consider selling.  That said, I will not pay the "I still love my boat" premium just to get on the water.  

No crane at the club and I do not know how deep the ramp goes.  Looking to stay with lifting keel / water ballast centerboard options.  The '07 Nitro is rated to 3,500 so looking to stay under that trailer and all.

@Steam Flyeragain, I do still have some pride.  Looking for a boat with a turn of performance, not a floating condo.  

@Cal20sailor it is the drinking water reservoir.  I'm sure others do, won't encourage my crew to.  

1 hour ago, LakeBoy said:

Here is a very rare find

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/90263

C&C SR-25

In another universe (i.e. not Indiana) I would be all over it.

@Rain Manhave a link?

That is a rare find, a bit of a hike though.

How about this one?

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/boa/d/wilmington-ranger-fun-23-sailboat/7292474958.html

Seems to tick a lot of boxes and certainly one of the coolest looking boats around

42 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Not too far away, take a look at these - https://nauticaldonations.org/boats/

That Etchells looks like a deal... not sure how that would work out on a small lake, though

FB- Doug

I lived in Indiana for 8 years.  3 years in Bloomington. Lake Monroe isn’t that bad. 1-1/2 hours from your location. Tanzer 22, Paceship 23, Hunter 23 all have swing keels. Merit 22/23 would be my pick if you could find one.

Thanks Steam.  The Fun 23 definitely checks lots of boxes.  Maybe is it ageist but I was hoping to meet someone under 25 and she is pushing 40.

Anyone have experience to confirm the Fun 23 lives up to its name?  

Trying to decided if it is worth 3 days of my life to go she her in person.  (Google says 12 hours each way)

Edit: I opened my phone this thread was showing. I saw Ranger Fun  too far away ant thought I must be reading the Craigslist finds dinghy anarchy thread... snd thought somebody stumbled across the boat we are selling in Austin. 

so I wrote the following post 

Where are you?? 
I have a Fun we are almost giving away to help an old friend’s family.

he was diagnosed with ALS  quite a few years ago and he quit sailing the fun at that time.

He was racing it and doing ok. The boat was well cared for .... back then

He finished out his sailing on his Hunter 28.5 and then spent at least a year bedridden. 

anyway, the FUN has a bad bulkhead from just sitting ignored on the hard for a few years —-and the lack of attention to resealing  the  chainplates. 

The trailer  tires are way too old to go down the highway but new tires with rims are about $100 each at Magnum Trailers. The bearings ought to be greased fir any trip and  worst case it may need a $30 light as no eite set. 

my guesstimate is two guys working a couple weekends and a few evenings could have a fully operational toy in a month. 

I haven’t inspected the sails or lines but my guess is the sails are fine but any lines not stored inside are junk 

we put up a Craigslist ad for  $2000 so we could  afford to help get the trailer working and still give something to the family. They have the trailer and boat titles. 

I am not trying to play salesman. Just offering another option

I hate putting up too much contact info in forums.

you can contact me through the regatta webpage 

http://schrothfiberglass.com/Easter.htm

note: the boat was the first thing lifted whenni built the outdoor hoist for my new shop in the early 1990s.

It is on line here about five photos down 

http://schrothfiberglass.com/shop_history_photos.htm

35577B87-BDE5-45A6-8C06-D926689782AA.jpeg

10 hours ago, LakeBoy said:

Thanks Steam.  The Fun 23 definitely checks lots of boxes.  Maybe is it ageist but I was hoping to meet someone under 25 and she is pushing 40.

Anyone have experience to confirm the Fun 23 lives up to its name?  

Trying to decided if it is worth 3 days of my life to go she her in person.  (Google says 12 hours each way)

Well, it's not a VX-1 but it is a cool boat. It's definitely a camper rather than a cruiser but there is room for two people to sit down below out of the weather. The biggest disadvantage is the swing keel puts it up high on the trailer, but sailing works well. The performance is in the 'fast keelboat' rather than the 'hi-po dinghy or sportboat' category and it will sail just fine without the runners (they definitely help pointing though).

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, it's not a VX-1 but it is a cool boat. It's definitely a camper rather than a cruiser but there is room for two people to sit down below out of the weather. The biggest disadvantage is the swing keel puts it up high on the trailer, but sailing works well. The performance is in the 'fast keelboat' rather than the 'hi-po dinghy or sportboat' category and it will sail just fine without the runners (they definitely help pointing though).

FB- Doug

I owned a Ranger-built Fun 23 in 1984.  It was anything BUT Fun!  The little poorly-built fckr was slow as a Catalina 22.  The funky swing keel was useless as a foil.  Hung there like a limp dick at the Playboy Mansion party.  The tin rig was so shitty it required running backstays on the tiny Soling rig.  Imagine that today.  Finally, the teeny tiny kite looked like it was from a 420 on the boat.  Unless you're living in France and have nothing else to sail, avoid it at all cost.

7 hours ago, Senator Seditious Maximus said:

I owned a Ranger-built Fun 23 in 1984.  It was anything BUT Fun!  The little poorly-built fckr was slow as a Catalina 22.  The funky swing keel was useless as a foil.  Hung there like a limp dick at the Playboy Mansion party.  The tin rig was so shitty it required running backstays on the tiny Soling rig.  Imagine that today.  Finally, the teeny tiny kite looked like it was from a 420 on the boat.  Unless you're living in France and have nothing else to sail, avoid it at all cost.

I wonder if there was something wrong with the one you had? You're right that they are not particularly well buitl but I'd say about average for a production boat of that era. One of the ones I sailed had spongy decks that badly needed recoring and blown out sails and would still sail rings around a Catalina 22 easily. At that time, my wife and I were in a trailer-sailer club and did cruises in company with C22s and Ventures and MacGregors and WWP19s and other similar... an acquaintance (actually somebody that contacted me thru SA) showed up with the Fun and it blew past everything in that fleet.

Originally, I think the hull design was a French mini-Ton. It has a sort of a bustle aft. In US PHRF they usually rate somewhere near a J24 and if the boat isn't fucked up, and the skipper is only half fucked up, they can at least keep pretty close to a J24 so that's probably about right. Gotta crank the board up downwind though... and don't forget to put it back down

FB- Doug

Reached out to the club mid-month.  They promptly responded to let me know they are currently working through parking/dock allocation.  There have been a few (a couple) of other new members or newly acquired keelboats they are factoring in.  

On 3/21/2021 at 9:02 AM, Bristol Fashion said:

I've got a Santana 2023R in Race Ready condition I would consider selling.

Boat is in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada so border closer remain a short term challenge.

Andrew

PM sent

On 3/13/2021 at 10:25 AM, LakeBoy said:

There's an Ultimate on cooper salvage in NJ right now. Minimum bid $1. Needs a bit of glass work. 

https://www.cooperss.com/asset-detail.php?name=marine&id=26485

36948-001.jpg

• Like 2

The answer is always a Moore 24 with a good trailer.

I would be tempted to buy a basic soling just because of how elegant the hull shape is. Add a cabin if you like.

Adagio_256.jpg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

The answer is always a Moore 24 with a good trailer.

I would be tempted to buy a basic soling just because of how elegant the hull shape is. Add a cabin if you like.

Adagio_256.jpg

Agree on the Moore 24.  But not much of a cabin.  The photo is not a soling.   It is pretty - Dragon maybe? 

Soling Sailboat Parts and Equipment | MAURIPRO Sailing

If you wanted the Ultimate 20 listed above and won the bid on it, I could pick it up for you(an hour away)and do any light ‘glass work that it might need. I’m passing on it because I have enough boats already!

1 hour ago, yoyo said:

Agree on the Moore 24.  But not much of a cabin.  The photo is not a soling.   It is pretty - Dragon maybe? 

Soling Sailboat Parts and Equipment | MAURIPRO Sailing

I have a imagination and rather than photoshop one - the concept is the same though except fin keel. a soling with a cabin woud be so trick.  A dragon is a lovely pain.  An H-boat might be a ready to go concept.

images-3.jpg.0aa6267d5dd61d76ef4cedbe8a08d862.jpg

Moore 24 is the winner for less than zero mods and so many places to race or weekend them.

11 minutes ago, LakeBoy said:

Reading on a iPhone. Cannot figure out how to access PMs. ( probably right in front of me). What is the secret?

Aaack...thread drift. Create a bookmark. Almost as quick to use. I created the bookmark on the Mac which politely updated the bookmark on the iPhone. I suppose the URL could be typed in:

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/notifications/

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

If you wanted the Ultimate 20 listed above and won the bid on it, I could pick it up for you(an hour away)and do any light ‘glass work that it might need. I’m passing on it because I have enough boats already!

The description and pictures chosen for the listing are a bit misleading.  The cabin roof is split from the opening for the keel backwards.  The lifting post broke at the base.  You can see one picture of the keelbox with only a plate where the lifting post should be attached.  The mast is carbon, but both spreaders are broken off. While not obvious in the picture, the plate on the top of the keel is bent upwards.

• Like 1

A lot of hate going on for Catalina 22's (newer ones are called Capris) but I like mine. Not racy but great for trailering places, like a little RV with sails. My Mazda CX-9 with a 3500 pound trailer rating tows it like it isn't  even back there. Mileage drops from 22 mpg to 16 mpg which is phenomenal, when I tow a 19 foot Boston Whaler with a T-top weighing 1200 pounds dry I only get 12 mpg for comparison. I also have a Sanibel I would give away, a WWP clone it is just too ugly to be seen on. I got it practically for free and stole the motor, trailer, and other gear off it. If anybody needs new cushions for theirs mine is for sale, they are in new condition. 

There are many reasons why there have been tens of thousands of C-22's built. A crazy engineer even sailed a modified one from California to Hawaii. But if anyone says it is easy to step the mast for a daysail they are lying. Yes I have seen the videos of the guy doing it in four minutes. Plan on keeping it in the water or you will find lots of excuses not to use it.  

• Like 1

There is a decent looking HF20 in Nevada that looks like it comes with a trailer and some recent sails.  Asking USD 5,500: https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/90378

Basically a predecessor to the U20 but without the turboed sail plan.  Average PHRF around 170, so about the same as a J/24 and maybe 25 secs/mile slower than a U20 and probably sails better to it's PHRF than the U20.

Lifting bulb keel - although the bulb is definitely an 80's style bulb (i.e. a caveman bulb).  I do know the HF20 molds were sold to a builder in California when Hotfoot Boats went into receivership in the late 80's or thereabouts.  There have been several previous discussions on SA as to whether the hull of the U20 is identical to the HF20, but the consensus seems to be that a few tweaks were made to the U20 hull.  IDK, but the two are very similar in hull shape.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, PurpleOnion said:

The description and pictures chosen for the listing are a bit misleading.  The cabin roof is split from the opening for the keel backwards.  The lifting post broke at the base.  You can see one picture of the keelbox with only a plate where the lifting post should be attached.  The mast is carbon, but both spreaders are broken off. While not obvious in the picture, the plate on the top of the keel is bent upwards.

All that from it falling off Jack stands like the ad says?  That’s a lot of damage.

32 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

All that from it falling off Jack stands like the ad says?  That’s a lot of damage.

It didn't fall off jack stands. The lifting post broke while it was being launched by crane.

Don’t tell that to Cooper Capital Salvage, it would change their narrative. 

Of course, I knew it wasn’t on stands and that would explain the sheared off the lifting post!!

Did it fall back onto the trailer or was it over the bulk heading and took a fall?

13 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Don’t tell that to Cooper Capital Salvage, it would change their narrative. 

Of course, I knew it wasn’t on stands and that would explain the sheared off the lifting post!!

Did it fall back onto the trailer or was it over the bulk heading and took a fall?

It was past the bulkhead and over the water.  As you pointed out, not quite a jack stand related accident.

Thanks for the info. They are good boats if not dropped too hard and broken.

Should be a warning to other U20 owners to inspect their post very thoroughly if they don’t ramp launch.

How about a Capri 25? Good light wind/flat water speed, with a small cabin and porta potty. Nice looking boat as well. Easy to sail single handed. Not sure about ramp launching. I think they are relatively abundant in upper mid west lakes.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:01 PM, psycho tiller said:

The Santana 20 is the first boat that came to my mind.  It just seems like a fun boat to sail.  The main disadvantage is that ramp launching would be easier for a centerboard/daggerboard boat.

Santana_20_transom_view.jpg

@in_TOThe story I heard is C&C only made 2 or 3 before the molds were destroyed in a fire.  Guess other priorities kept them from making new molds at the time.

Missed out on another S2 6.9 in NY.  Contacted the advertiser about 10 days after the posting and the response was "already sold."

Any have information on sailing a Ranger 22?  Jensen Marine build quality?  IT is outside my original parameters but available and (relatively) in the neighborhood. Ranger 22

Nice boat with a decent little cabin. Light, fast and comfortable to sail. The only drawback is the split level cockpit and the location of the outboard and mount.

Midcockpit traveller and seating behind is on the top of the coaming. 
4’ draft makes it hard to ramp launch.

I lowered the aft seating in this one for the owner. The boat now sits abandoned at Ocean Gate Marina in NJ with sails. West coast owner...

A64BF2AE-346E-444E-8082-D7E30D65193F.jpeg

556DEDB9-385B-4447-8C42-86DEAC603A4A.jpeg

BC7C9572-8550-4DAE-80D2-707BD1210A56.jpeg

• Like 1

anyone have a definition for "not speedy"?

A J-22 will lap it easily. Not sure about a Catalina 22, but I would not bet much on the Ranger

FB- Doug

anyone have a definition for "not speedy"?

PHRF is weird for small boats sometimes, but the Ranger 22 is in the 220's and a Catalina 22 in the 270's. So: faster than cruising-oriented 22 footers, but you're not going to be planing anywhere anytime soon.

I have an '86 Catalina 22 and am very happy with her. I'm not a racer and am happy about the availability of knowledge and parts for the boat. The swing keel is only vaguely foil-shaped but makes trailering and self-loading easy/possible. It would be really annoying to pay hundreds or thousands per year in travel-lift and marina storage fees for a boat that's only 22 feet.

Also, I should add that a boat having a port-a-potty is one thing, but actually having the space and privacy belowdecks to comfortably use it is another issue entirely. Particularly on a 22 footer, and even more so if it's "racy" and has more of a cave than a cabin.

Update - I have secured a dock so have a place to park something.  Still looking.  Taking the Ranger 22 out of the running based on fixed keel and being "not speedy."

Appreciate any leads

Not sure I would call Ranger 22 "not speedy" either.  On the Chesapeake a Santana 20 rates 228, S2 6.9 rates 210, Ranger rates 228.  So in the ballpark with like sized "racers"

If you have dock space, and enough water at the dock, then launching and recovering once a year with a tongue extender, or with cable/line to a winch on tow vehicle is not that onerous.

I've always thought it'd be kinda fun to have one, and then paint it up to look like one of the big name IOR boats from back in the day...Intuition, GEM, Police Car, etc...

@Crash Fair point.  Guess I was defining speedy as PHRF in the 170s which is where the SR-21 & 2023 R are rated.  I hadn't checked the 6.9's rating, however it does scream "turbo me."  Also mentioned above is the J/22 which could be a fin keel option, rating in the 180s.  

There is a Capri 22 MkII tall mast fin keel advertised now.  Supposed to rate in the 190s.  Unfortunately quite a distance away. Listing reads well equipped and maintained.  

22 hours ago, LakeBoy said:

@Crash Fair point.  Guess I was defining speedy as PHRF in the 170s which is where the SR-21 & 2023 R are rated.  I hadn't checked the 6.9's rating, however it does scream "turbo me."  Also mentioned above is the J/22 which could be a fin keel option, rating in the 180s.  

There is a Capri 22 MkII tall mast fin keel advertised now.  Supposed to rate in the 190s.  Unfortunately quite a distance away. Listing reads well equipped and maintained.  

if speedy is a thing,  find an ultimate 20,  http://antrimdesign.com/ultimate-20.html

lifting keel,  can be trailered with a SUV

@Grande Mastere Dreade Speedy is one consideration, not the only.

Just found a Beneteau First 235, actually here in the state.   FIrst 235  WK version -

Looks to be at the top end of my weight limit.  PHRF just under 200(?)   Looks to be a relatively small cockpit /lg cabin bias for a 23' boat.  Will have to look up the renaming ceremony, that has got to go.  Another item I would have to sort is the head holding tank.  No pompous on the lake I would be sailing.  Portal Potty would be an easier option.

Anyone have experience with one?

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/milwaukee-ranger-22-sailboat-with/7290888522.html

This is up the road...Ranger 22....2100 lbs. Has trailer...draft might be a bit tricky for a inland lake...

Slip neighbor had a 235. Fast and handy....he sailed it singlehand all the time. He lived on it during the summer.

Used porta potti for years on a Hunter 255 they work fine. A little queasy to empty and clean but you can easily dump them into a terrestiral porta-san or regular valve based flush toilet...

14 hours ago, LakeBoy said:

Just found a Beneteau First 235, actually here in the state.   FIrst 235  WK version -

Looks to be at the top end of my weight limit.  PHRF just under 200(?)   Looks to be a relatively small cockpit /lg cabin bias for a 23' boat.  Will have to look up the renaming ceremony, that has got to go.  Another item I would have to sort is the head holding tank.  No pompous on the lake I would be sailing.  Portal Potty would be an easier option.

i thought you were going to trailer sail your boat,  a bene 235 won't be easy to launch on a regular basis.. if you get one, make sure it has the fin keel, if it's a wing keel  you won't do well racing..    there are issues with the bene interior liner,  nice thing is that it has a full head and there is plenty of room down below...  i've always wanted one for the lakes around me....   more info here   https://www.beneteau235.com/index.htm

On 4/24/2021 at 6:26 AM, LakeBoy said:

If I recall correctly @Jackdaw used to sail/race one.  If you do go after one, this is the version you want for on a lake with only trailer launch...

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/first-235-sk-beneteau

11 hours ago, Crash said:

If I recall correctly @Jackdaw used to sail/race one.  If you do go after one, this is the version you want for on a lake with only trailer launch...

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/first-235-sk-beneteau

good luck with finding one..

The swing keel vers. is seen most often in France. Also available with fin and winged keel(mostly in US).

Found 3 First 235s listed in the "area."  (IN, IL & TN)  They are all wing keel versions.  

Interestingly I walked the grounds at ISC and found a flock of Capri 22s.  All WK versions.  Checked with a keelboat fleet contact who advised lake level is more stable now that in the past.  He does not see (reasonable) draft as being an issue anymore.  He sails a Catalina 27 that draws 4.5 ft.  There are a couple J/24s around and one Colgate 26 that seemed to be the tallest trailer.

5 hours ago, LakeBoy said:

Found 3 First 235s listed in the "area."  (IN, IL & TN)  They are all wing keel versions.  

Interestingly I walked the grounds at ISC and found a flock of Capri 22s.  All WK versions.  Checked with a keelboat fleet contact who advised lake level is more stable now that in the past.  He does not see (reasonable) draft as being an issue anymore.  He sails a Catalina 27 that draws 4.5 ft.  There are a couple J/24s around and one Colgate 26 that seemed to be the tallest trailer.

originally you said  "Ramp launch only."      has that changed?    you're not going to ramp launch a bene 235 on a regular basis no matter what type keel,  putting the mast up / down would be an ordeal..

20 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

good luck with finding one..

Beneteau USA has made some very weird choices in my opinion...both with the wing keel on something as small as the First 235, where the swing keel would allow both better sailing performance, and easier trailering.  Not sure what the wing keel brings to the party on a boat of that size.  Similarly, on my First 310, they loaded the boats down with mid boom sheeting, wheel steering, and hot water heater, which when combined with the holding tank which is in the port cockpit locker also gives the both a permanent port list and stern down trim.  Plus the mid boom sheeting purchase and traveller purchase both are underspec'ed which makes sail trim a pain.  The French boats have tillers, cockpit trav, and less luxury cruising gear, and sure look like they sail better for it.

I think the OP plans to keep boat at the dock, and only launch/haul at the start and end of the season, so can likely get away with it, even though it will be a pain 2x a year....

Yes, plan to keep the boat at a dock so hopefully only launch & retrieve once a season.  

Yes, the club does not have a hoist.  Will have to walk around again to see if there is a mast crane otherwise we are talking deck stepped with a tabernacle (sp) or gin pole.  Have free handed masts on 21' boats (Viper & SR-21) albeit some years ago.  Also stood a Hobie 33 mast a time or three.  

Word is the lake is more keel friendly than feared so looking a other reasonable options.