Seeking Hobie Getaway Mast in BVI

Hi all. I'm not sure if this would be the right place to post this (if so, please remove/advise) but I live in the BVI and just picked up an old Hobie Getaway for $500. It's ready to sail, except for the top half mast section (also known as comptip or composition tip) is broken and I need to source a new one. I thought I would be able to find one somewhere in the BVI, but so far, no such luck. Before I order one brand new ($1,000+shipping to the BVI) I thought I would post here to see if anyone knows of an old Hobie mast in the BVI/USVI/Puerto Rico. 

Let me know if you can help and thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 9.16.40 AM.png

11 minutes ago, Wavedancer II said:

Contact the BItter End. They had a good number of Hobies, but the resort was virtually destroyed by two hurricanes (Irma and Maria). Perhaps they have salvaged what you need.

Haha this is good advice. But I actually used to work watersports at BEYC and have already checked there. They did have these but got rid of everything recently

20 hours ago, Wavedancer II said:

Interesting; we may have met? Looking back fondly at sailing a Laser down there.

Did you try other resorts in the area with Hobies?

Necker, Moskito, Leverick Bay (Blue Rush Watersports) and Eustatia Island all got nothing for me. Still looking for a contact at Little Dix Bay. And no where on Tortola really has Hobies.

At this point I am going to begin asking around in the USVI/Puerto Rico.

Also, we probably did meet! I'm Dobbs and I worked BEYC watersports from 2014-2017

You could ask on thebeachcats.com about comptip replacement and repair options. Comptips have apparently gone out of fashion, as they do break with some frequency. I'm not an expert but there might be alternatives.

As far as I know, the comptip is fiberglass, so if you have the broken parts, $50 of fiberglass + epoxy and a few hours of work can sort you out.

19 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

You could ask on thebeachcats.com about comptip replacement and repair options. Comptips have apparently gone out of fashion, as they do break with some frequency. I'm not an expert but there might be alternatives.

As far as I know, the comptip is fiberglass, so if you have the broken parts, $50 of fiberglass + epoxy and a few hours of work can sort you out.

Thanks Martin. This is great advice and I do have the broken parts. I will definitely do this I appreciate it 

• Like 1