Fucking 2 mast junk rigged scow!!!

• pironiero changed the title to Fucking 2 mast junk rigged scow!!!

It isn't a junk, it is a "Montaubin styled rig" (Montaubin is the name of the architect who advocate these). These are rotary masts so that you can furl the sails by rolling them around the masts.

For those who are interested by the boat there is a thread in French where the owner explains the thinking behind : https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/sailing/vos-avis-sur-le-musard-29

The idea was to have a "big boat" that was trailerable, hence the fat nose to maximise inside volume, the owners says that he likes the behaviour of the fat nose in choppy conditions (dry boat) and that it helps the autopilot as when the boat heels, it doesn't pitch forward.

It is a pure cruiser, yet able to reach speeds above 10 knots when the conditions are right.

• Like 4

cat ketch with a canting bow sprit

do wish they had more shots of the whole rig sailing esp with the code sail and how far they cant the bow sprit

with lots of unanswered questions like can they reach or just run with the code up

vid shows more motoring then sailing

kind of odd unstayed masts with spreaders for the canting bow sprit that they do not show canting when sailing for very few seconds running

and what is the line going up the mizzen with the 3 rings for ?

how do they get the masts up and down

I have a cat ketch with similar rolling sails around the mast the beach comber 25 but wishbone booms on my boat

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/beachcomber-25

21 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Ugly little bugger

This is what I love about the French; always willing to consider innovative ideas in defiance of convention. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's disaster. But they never give up.

• Like 2

Not a fan of furling the sail around the mast. It removes some perfectly good surfaces for things like steaming lights, radars, etc. Interesting though.

l like the orange bilge keels (for extra speed). The mainsail shape is rather ugly with a hooked leech. Super wide cockpit all the way to the deck edge works for me.

I'd like to see what it does beating into a chop with that bow shape. It is also very stiff. In first video at about 5 min mark it is rolling very quickly. High initial stability for sure.

• Like 1

There is a long thread on this boat on a French forum as pointed earlier by Panoramix. A few key points:

- the owner wanted a trailerable boat; he apparently lives in Alsace, Eastern France, and shares his sailing vacations between Mediterranean sea and Brittany. So 2.55 m wide max.

- he wanted also maximum room, for 2 adults and 2 young kids

- he wanted no deep keel to facilitate transportation

- easy to build (i.e. cheap); the boat structure was done by a small shipyard, but he brought the boat back home to work on the accommodations; he states that the boat costs between 50k and 60 euros... I am doubtful...

- the rig works as described by Panoramix. The bowsprit is articulated for now but it seems that he wants to make it fixed. Simpler operation...

- it is not really a scow, the front seems fat in some videos because of the wide angle shot, but it is "only" 1 meter wide...  

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

it is not really a scow, the front seems fat in some videos because of the wide angle shot, but it is "only" 1 meter wide...  

Depends what you call a scow, it is of the Caravelle school of scows!

Caravelle_deriveur_(1).jpg

By the way do you know of a word to say "Marotte" in English ?

If not we can call it a "Marotte scow"!

The old US scows were quite narrow, so i don't think that the boat needs to be wide to be called a scow.

Ah.... la Caravelle.... first boat I ever sailed on...

No, I do not know how to say Marotte in English... I am not even sure of what it means in French!

You are right, AFAIK, the "old school" scows are pretty long boats so they have a rather slender beam to length ratio. But the bow of this boat is not as wide as the overall beam, which seems to be the trend on the new 6.50 mini class...

1 minute ago, Laurent said:

Ah.... la Caravelle.... first boat I ever sailed on...

No, I do not know how to say Marotte in English... I am not even sure of what it means in French!

You are right, AFAIK, the "old school" scows are pretty long boats so they have a rather slender beam to length ratio. But the bow of this boat is not as wide as the overall beam, which seems to be the trend on the new 6.50 mini class...

I don't think there's a good way to say Marotte in English, I had to look it up in  Robert, i think it somewhere between quirky obsession and crazy obsession in this context. To say that SA is full of people and their personal Marottes is probably an understatement. (For Panoramix I liked Roberts reference to idee fixe... which seems an appropriate connection :) )

59 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

By the way do you know of a word to say "Marotte" in English ?

If not we can call it a "Marotte scow"!

As per Google:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=french+english+translation&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari

Typed in, it gives “hobby”, but I like the idea of personal obsession or expression......

Marotte in the sense of "hobby" or even obsessive hobby is not what Panoramix is talking about here. There is another maritime meaning. I believe it is the flat surface of the truncated bow we see in the "Caravelle" (picture above) or from the boat in the opening post. The "mini transom at the bow", if you wish, like on a Fireball dinghy, but I am not sure. Maybe Panoramix will correct me.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Marotte in the sense of "hobby" or even obsessive hobby is not what Panoramix is talking about here. There is another maritime meaning. I believe it is the flat surface of the truncated bow we see in the "Caravelle" (picture above) or from the boat in the opening post. The "mini transom at the bow", if you wish, like on a Fireball dinghy, but I am not sure. Maybe Panoramix will correct me.

Yes that is exactly how I use the word... and I wonder if there is an equivalent word in English!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sidecar said:

That's it, thank you... in your wiki link it also says "transom bow".

That's funny because in French we use the word "prame" for a dinghy often in wood but AFAIK the word is not really associated with  a transom/bluff/pram bow! Probably 50 or 100 years ago it was and double points if somebody knows if the initial word was initially coined by French or English speakers! Or may be it comes from some Viking who discovered the interest of the bluff bow long before the invention of the scow!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I believe he says: "Putain de merde”.

I think he says "J'ai les dents du fond qui baignent!"

• Like 1