46 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Just saw on FB that he passed away suddenly this morning.

WTH?  Didn't have any idea he was sick, or... anything.

I saw Trina's FB post as well. I can't believe he passed away that suddenly. We sailed many miles together first with Harmony & Harlequin for Barbara Colville. Then later when Chris bought Rags, we did a couple Transpacs and Cabo's together. I'm just shocked he's gone. Way too young.

Lightly edited, just because I'd like to think we could leave the politics to PA and focus on the sailor in SA. For once.

"Hello Chris's world. Today we lost a good man. He passed away very suddenly this am, without a moments notice. Probably because he would have been late. He was always late.

It's Tina. He was so smart, he accomplished more in a day than everyone around him ever did in a week. He fulfilled so many of his dreams, including getting his Citation type-rating (almost). He loved our dog Cooper almost as much as me. But his real first love was Ragtime. I always told him she came before me in the line up. He never disagreed, haha. I know he loved me and forever will. Please have a Kraken rum and diet coke. He was a special man. I love you Christopher, forever."
  • Like 4

Oh man.  Didn't know him but think (?) he was one of two in partnership to save that french foiling tri that was abandoned in Hawaii. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Robyn Banxx said:

Wonder how many people he owed money to when he died.....

well aren't you just a giant pice of shit...

• Like 1

^^^  Love that picture, and that story.

Another great story, that Chris' mom loved to tell, was how he "swam to Catalina" doing laps along the dock at BYC - all 26 miles. Chris was not an athlete. He just did it, and didn't give up.

That was Chris.

Our families were close. I could write pages, but I don't feel like it now.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Was Chris Welsh any relation to Roger Welsh, International 14, Aussie 18 skiff, Soling, etc. sailor?

Uncle Roger!

• Like 1

Chris was Roger’s nephew. He loved boats especially boats that were fast. In addition to Ragtime he owned Cheyenne, Steve Fossets old boat also known as Play Station. He and a friend started the restoration of hydroptere and that is continuing with the boat having work done in France. Chris always liked working on projects. We were all shocked by his sudden passing. He was a great partner to Tina, uncle to Charlie, Brittany and BECCA. To me he will always be my big brother who we all will miss

Doug Welsh

• Like 1

Didn't know him personally but appreciated his love of all thing sailing.   He did recently purchase the Brickyard Cove Marina offices/wet&dry slips so I had hoped that it wouldn't be bulldozed to build more tight packed housing like the former Alameda Marina.....   now I'm worried once again about the fate of the property.   Condolences to his family and friends.

I am deeply saddened by the News.  Chris was and is a great guy. He was a great thinker, and great with a plan of action.

I will miss him. My heart goes out to Tina and his family. 

Jon Richards

On 3/16/2021 at 1:42 AM, bigrpowr said:

well aren't you just a giant pice of shit...

And not only a piece of shit, also a coward rat who changed his nick to "Texas Strong".

RIP Mr. Welsh.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 8:43 PM, Jono said:

I wonder what will happen to Ragtime. It would be nice if she could come back to NZ.

she needs to stay here.

• Like 1