And your point is? Is it that Chinese students who get an engineering degree are also well informed about world history, ethics, philosophy. and geo-politics?....

What ever they’re doing seems to be working.  The Indians take a more applied approach also with excellent results.  Those who make their way to MIT usually describe the work as easy.

2 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

And your point is? Is it that Chinese students who get an engineering degree are also well informed about world history, ethics, philosophy. and geo-politics?....

What @DogREALLY missed is that there are 5x as many students taking the Gaokao vs the US college entrance exams.

Wonder which ones will matter more in, say, 30 years.

BTW - the centralized entrance exams in China go back a couple thousand years, it's jus that they used to be for the meritocracy, the civil service.

7 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

What ever they’re doing seems to be working.  The Indians take a more applied approach also with excellent results.  Those who make their way to MIT usually describe the work as easy.

Both my sister, and a friend took a year at Yale because of the professor teaching a course in their given field of study (My sister studied anthropology, the other person Political science). Both of them had spent two years at a small liberal arts college in northern New England. Both left that year at Yale feeling that they'd just spent a year back in high school. Just because a college/university has a good reputation, doesn't mean that you get a good education. Look at Ted Cruz, or Dubya Bush for examples.

They have used something similar for decades for university entrance. My wife's parents came from poor, agricultural families in southern China. Both did well on their exams and were accepted by universities in Beijing (Beijing has something like 85 universities.). Both went on to get PhDs and become professors (steel-making and chemistry). During the Cultural Revolution they stopped the exam system and sent deserving soldiers, peasants, and workers to the universities, even if they were barely literate. At the end of the CR my wife was in the first year that had the exams. She did well because her parents 'home-schooled' her in a sense. In regular school they spent most of their time singing patriotic songs, learning dances, and making wall posters. She said it was great fun but not very academically useful.

I found the exam questions in the article interesting. China has done very well training engineers and the like but graduates in all fields were not very creative. Many of the exam questions are designed to see if kids are creative. Something similar was done at one of Canada's very top engineering and computer science schools. Early in my teaching career they took kids based on marks but later to switched to an application form that looked at the kid more broadly. They wanted to know about sports, extra-curricular activities and the like. One question required them to write an essay about a book (not studied in school) that had changed their take on life. I can remember a couple of kids coming to me about this. One boy admitted sheepishly that he had never read a book outside school. One of my basketball players won the school awards for the highest marks in math and in theatre. She was also athlete of the year four years in a row. She was worried that her essay was four pages long and the form gave you only 2/3 of page. She also asked if she could talk about a book and a play. The boy did not get in even though his marks were high. The girl not only got in but got their best scholarship.

If the Chinese get their kids to not only be good at math and science and to be used to working their tales off - and they develop more creative thinkers, it is not good for the competitiveness of the West. The school I was at for 20+ years ended up with more than half Chinese kids. They often did combine work habits, brains, and creativity. One girl got a robotics doctorate and was part of the team that developed an earlier Mars rover. Her sisters are an architect and a medical doctor. Having all those Chinese kids was not good for my basketball team especially since the white and black kids also thought they should be short. I ended up with a team of point guards. One year we won the district championship (20 schools) but then played a team in the regional finals whose shortest starter was the same height as my tallest player. A 5' 3" girl even if smart, cannot cover a 5' 10"  kid.

Gaokao

Fill-in-the-Blank

1. Math

To understand the academic performance of 1,000 students, the systematic sampling method is adopted to choose 40 samples. What should the sampling interval be?

– Gaokao year unknown

2. Math

A tetrahedron’s edge length is √2 and its four points are on a sphere, so what is the sphere’s area?

– Gaokao year unknown

3. Math

Given f (x) = sinx - (2sqrt(3))(sin^2(pi/2)):

A) Find f(x)’s smallest positive revolution

B) Find f(x)’s smallest value, given that the period is [0,2pi/3]

– Gaokao year unknown

4. Math

Math question

As illustrated in the figure above,in the frame xOy, we have a line l :x-y-2=0 and a parabola C:y²=2px(p>0) 

I) If l passes through the focus of the parabola C,find the equation of the parabola.

II) Given that there are two different points P and Q that is symmetrical about line l

1) Prove that the coordinates of the middle point of the line segment PQ is (2-p,-p)

2) Find the range of p.

– 2016 Jiangsu Gaokao

5. Math

Ellipse

Given an ellipse x²/9+y²/5=1 whose vertices are A and B and right focus F.Suppose that line TA and line TB which pass through T(t,m) intersect the ellipse at M(x₁,y₁) and N(x₂,y₂) individually.(m>0,y₁>0,y₂<0)

1) Moving point P satisfies equation PF²-PB²=4,find the track of P.

2) Assume that x₁=2,x₂=1/3,find the cooordinates of T

3) Assume that t=9,prove that line MN must passes through a definite point on the x axis(whose coordinates are independant of m)

– 2010 Jiangsu Gaokao

6. Math

Assume a positive sequence {an},whose sum of the first n terms is Sn, given that 2an=a₁+a₃,sequence{√Sn} is an Arithmetic Sequence with a common difference d.

1) Find the general formula of the sequence {an}(in n and d)

2) Assume c ∈R,for any positive integrals m,n and k that satisfy m+n=3k and m≠n,exists equality Sm+Sn>cSk

– 2010 Jiangsu Gaokao

7. Math

Assume sequence {an} that satisfies |an-a(n+1)/2|≤1,n∈N+

1) Prove that|an|≥2^(n-1)(|a₁|-2)(n∈N*)

2) If |an|≤(3/2)^n,n∈N*, prove that |an|≤2,n∈N* 

– 2016 Zhejiang Gaokao

8. Chemistry

Chemistry question

Under the agency of catalyst, NH3 reacts with O2, so the chemical equation of I should be __________.

– Gaokao year unknown

9. English

Walking will be banned on escalators as part of a trial designed to reduce congestion(拥堵) at some of the country’s busiest stations.

In the first move of its kind, all travelers will be forced to stand on both sides of escalators on the London Underground as part of a plan to increase capacity(容量) at the height of the rush hour.

A six-month trial will be introduced at Holborn station from mid-April, eliminating the rule of standing on the right and walking on the left. The move, imitating a similar structure in Far eastern cities such as Hong Kong, is designed to increase the number of people using long escalators at the busiest times. It could be expanded across the Tube network in coming years.

According to London Underground, only 40% of travelers walk the full length of long escalators, leaving the majority at the bottom as they wait to get on to the “standing “side.

A three-week trial at Holborn last year found that the number of people using escalators at any time of could be raised by almost a third. Peter McNaught, operations director at London Underground, said: “It may not seem right that you can go quicker by standing still, but our experiments at Holborn have proved that it can be true. This new six-month trial will help us find out if we can influence customers to stand on both sides in the long term.”

Holborn has one of the longest sets of escalators on the Underground network at 23.4 high. Tube bosses claim that capacity was limited because so few people wanted to walk up—meaning only one side was used at all times. Research has shown that it is more effective use of escalators over 18.5 to ban walking.

The previous trial found that escalators at the station normally carried 2,500 people between 8:30am and 9:30am on a typical day, rising to 3,250 during the researching period.

In the new trial, which will be launched from April 18, one of three “up” escalators will be standing only, with a second banning walking at peak times. A third will remain a mix of walking and standing.

(Note: Answering the questions the questions or complete the statements in NO MORE THAN TEN WORDS.)

1. What is the existing problem with standing on the right and walking on the left?
2. What did last year’s three-week trial at Holborn station prove?
3.The research suggests that walking should be forbidden on escalators that are at least _________ in height.
4. In the new trail, in addition to one escalator banning walking in rush hours, the other “up” escalators will be used for_________________.

– 2016 Shanghai Gaokao

10. English

Fill in the correct words to use in the blanks.

Stress: Good or Bad?

Stress used to be an almost unknown word, but now that we are used to talking about it, I have found that people are beginning to get stressed about being stressed.

In recent years, stress (1)______(regard) as a cause of a whole range of medical problems, from high blood pressure to mental illness. But like so many other things, it is only too much stress (2)______ does you harm. It is time you considered that if there were no stress in your life, you would achieve a little. If you are stuck at home with no stress, then your level of performance will be low. Up to a certain point, the more stress you are under, the (3)__ ___(good) your performance will be. Beyond a certain point, though , further stress will only lead to exhaustion, illness and finally a breakdown. You can tell when you are over the top and on the downward slope, by asking yourself (4)_______ number of questions. Do you, for instance, feel that too much is being expected of (5)______, and yet find it impossible to say no? Do you find yourself getting impatient of (6) _____(annoy) with people over unimportant things?... If the answer to all those questions is yes, you had better (7)______(control) your stress, as you probably are under more stress than is good for you.

To some extent you can control the amount of stress in your life. Doctors have worked out a chart showing how much stress is involved in various events. Getting married is 50, pregnancy 40, moving house 20, Christmas 12, etc. If the total stress in your life is over 150, you are twice as likely (8)_______ (get) ill.

– 2016 Shanghai Gaokao

11. English

Directions: Complete the following passage by using the words in the box. Each word can only be used once. Note that there is one word more than you need.

Golden Rules of Good Design

What makes good design? Over the years, designers and artists have been trying to __ the essentials of good design. They have found that some sayings can help people understand the ideas of good design. There are four as follows.

Less is more. This saying is associated with the German-born architect Mies van der Rohe. In his Modernist view, beauty lies in simplicity and elegance, and the aim of the designer is to create solutions to problems through the most efficient means. Design should avoid unnecessary ___.

More is not a bore. The American-born architect Robert Venturi concluded that if simplicity is done badly, the result is ___ design. Post-Modernist designers began to ___ with decoration and color again. Product design was heavily influenced by this view and can be seen in kitchen ___ such as ovens and kettles.

Fitness for purpose. Successful product design takes into consideration a product’s function, purpose, shape, form, color, and so on. The most important result for the user is that the product does what is ___. For example, think of a(n) ___ desk lamp. It needs to be constructed from materials that will stand the heat of the lamp and regular adjustments by the user. It also needs to be stable. Most importantly, it needs to ___ light where it is needed.

From follows emotion. This phrase is associated with the German designer Hartmut Esslinger. He believes design must take into ___ the sensory side of our nature—sight, smell, touch and taste. These are as important as rational(理性的). When choosing everyday products such as toothpaste, we appreciate a cool-looking device that allows us to easily ___ the toothpaste onto our brush.

A. account
B. adjustable
C. appliances
D. capture
E. decorations
F. direct
G. experiment
H. intended  
I. operated
J. soulless  
K. squeeze 

– 2016 Shanghai Gaokao

12. History

After a lesson, a student learning the ancient Roman law system wants to know whether slaves, as the laws state, were “excluded from laws [and] do not have any rights.” In reading a few sources during his research, he recorded the following notes:

① Slavery refers to a person who is not a free person in Roman society and is legally regarded as a matter; a person may become a slave by identity at birth and subject to criminal punishment or captured in war; slaves can be liberated and become free. [1]
② The release of slaves was an important part of Roman law.
③ The Laws of the Twelve Tables contained all the relevant provisions. [2]
④ This indicates that there was a slavery phenomenon.

From the end of the Republican period to the Imperial System, the release of slaves became more common with the expansion of the Roman Empire. In the Epistle of the Empire Justice, there were records about the release of a large number of slaves. [3]

Historians say: “A common view in Roman Law is that although slavery is a legitimate social system, it contradicts ‘nature,’ and there are ancient Roman jurists that said from civil law’s point of view, slaves are nothing, but according to the natural law this is not true because all people are equal.” [4]

Sources:

[1] Roman Law Dictionary
[2] Laws of the Twelve Tables, Fifth Table, Section 8, Article XI
[3] Letters of Pliny the Younger on the release of slaves
[4] Kovalov’s Ancient Roman History 

Based on this information, answer the following questions:

1. Which of the above “sources” are historical data (as opposed to second-hand historical data)?
2. In the student’s notes (points ①,②,③ and ④), which are factual statements? And which statements are the students’ own evaluations? (4 points)
3. Please help this student explain the reasons for the prevalence of the Roman Empire. (4 points)

– 2016 Shanghai Gaokao

13. Geography

Climate formation in North America is closely related to its natural geography. Study the picture below to answer the question.

Climate question

Based on a comprehensive analysis of the three categories of natural geography elements (A, B and C, pictured above), name and describe the three types of climate formations [in North America].

– 2016 Shanghai Gaokao

Completely worn down by all those questions yet? Time to throw out those exam papers!

gaokao-papers.jpgImage via Satme_girl/Weibo

Question Sources: People’s Daily, CNN, Teen Vogue, Quora, That’s, Baidu

[Cover image via 南方都市报/Weibo]

5 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Both my sister, and a friend took a year at Yale because of the professor teaching a course in their given field of study (My sister studied anthropology, the other person Political science). Both of them had spent two years at a small liberal arts college in northern New England. Both left that year at Yale feeling that they'd just spent a year back in high school. Just because a college/university has a good reputation, doesn't mean that you get a good education. Look at Ted Cruz, or Dubya Bush for examples.

I think we make a mistake when we say that a university is good or bad. We need to look at particular faculties or even departments. Had a couple of our kids go to Harvard. They were not particularly impressed with the rigour.

42 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

The concept of intelligence is difficult for The Mutt.

As Eva Dent.

59 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I think we make a mistake when we say that a university is good or bad. We need to look at particular faculties or even departments. Had a couple of our kids go to Harvard. They were not particularly impressed with the rigour.

I spent a few years playing professor at a regional campus (highest degree offered was an MA/MBA).  Two of my undergrads decided they wanted to get a graduate degree in public administration/public policy.  So I sent them to what was (and as far as I know still is) the best program of its kind in the US.  They reported back that it was a breeze and that they as well prepared as their classmates from far more prestigious and expensive schools.

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

"MIT was easy" : Happy Jack

15 minutes ago, dacapo said:

"MIT was easy" : Happy Jack

Well, he was there as a janitor, so, yeah.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

I spent a few years playing professor at a regional campus (highest degree offered was an MA/MBA).  Two of my undergrads decided they wanted to get a graduate degree in public administration/public policy.  So I sent them to what was (and as far as I know still is) the best program of its kind in the US.  They reported back that it was a breeze and that they as well prepared as their classmates from far more prestigious and expensive schools.

I think what is often not understood is that the hard part is getting into a Harvard, Oxford, or Peking University. Once you are there it is not in the institution's interest for you to fail. Hence the programs may not be that difficult, while at the same time giving the truly understanding the opportunity to excel and do something special. This explains the success of people like the Former Guy and W. Connections got them in and just showing up meant they passed.

Same with prestigious private high schools.  Once you’ve paid up there is no incentive for them to give the kid anything but good grades. It would just make the school look bad.  All typical privileged bullshit.

32 x pi.  That was an easy one....

2. Math

A tetrahedron’s edge length is √2 and its four points are on a sphere, so what is the sphere’s area?

The actual reason that students from India and China tend to excel when they get into good institutions is the competition. Just the sheer amount of applicants for the tiny number of seats means the kids that get in are already hardworking and brilliant, traits that help them excel in most fields.

Out of these, the cream then tend to emigrate or are offered scholarships to do so to the top institutions in the world. The institutions get the benefit of having brilliant alumni who they can take credit for while having the reflected glory shine off on their paying students and these students get scholarships and a playground to hone their skills with others of their caliber while the paying students get to party with their elk and claim a prestigious schooling.

The Yale and Harvard like institutions make snots pay for the privilege of sharing the campus with students who are paid to study there. Every one wins especially the institutions.

22 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I think what is often not understood is that the hard part is getting into a Harvard, Oxford, or Peking University. Once you are there it is not in the institution's interest for you to fail. Hence the programs may not be that difficult, while at the same time giving the truly understanding the opportunity to excel and do something special. This explains the success of people like the Former Guy and W. Connections got them in and just showing up meant they passed.

Sounds much like a Participation Award.

21 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

Same with prestigious private high schools.  Once you’ve paid up there is no incentive for them to give the kid anything but good grades. It would just make the school look bad.  All typical privileged bullshit.

Witness the English Upper Classes - hundreds of years of that give you this sort of thing;

Britain's upper class is now too snobbish to speak its name | The Spectator  Australia

image.jpeg.b4ed4c06f30fce4e657045ca528d3d60.jpegDon't blame Eton for Boris Johnson | Tes

57 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Witness the English Upper Classes - hundreds of years of that give you this sort of thing;

Britain's upper class is now too snobbish to speak its name | The Spectator  Australia

image.jpeg.b4ed4c06f30fce4e657045ca528d3d60.jpegDon't blame Eton for Boris Johnson | Tes

Twits, twit, twat.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:16 PM, roundthebuoys said:

In our local private school, promising special needs kids are allowed to register ($$$) but if they require too much intervention and it looks like they might adversely affect the school's ratings on the province-wide tests, they are subsequently encouraged to depart.  Private schools can not allow their test ratings to drop below public schools or they would be out of business, even if they were doing a fantastic job with the kids.

Kids here in the private school, their parents being in the best American category, never matriculate well to higher education.  They all go to Brown or Denver University or Georgetown and they are way behind.  Private schools are a scam.

Former colleague of mine sent both of his kids to the best private (non-religiously affiliated) school in our area.  Then they went to UW-Madison.  He said that his cost for college was less than the private school.

Why in the hell would you send your kids to a pricey private school only to have them go to a Big 10 school.  My kids were public school products and both got admitted to Madison.  Neither went there