6 hours ago, Ismotorsport said:

Some recent J/9 Sailing Shots from Newsletter. Looking Pretty, clean, and simple as promised. 

image.jpeg.cf2783d622242616c9b9278cb6ab25a4.jpeg

image.jpeg.4a004b8339a06543dfb0aafb94caeed9.jpeg

image.jpeg.1c24e6911de8c994fc2e676ffb5c64a5.jpeg

image.jpeg.e4f4fbac804c2b6a7332411c3c18824f.jpeg

Looks very French.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:35 AM, Matagi said:

The blandest J there ever was.

Some say bland, others would sail minimalistic 

J Boats is a business. The proof of success or failure is in the order book and annual profit or loss. They work VERY hard to bring boats to market that sailors want and will enjoy. Seem to be pretty successful so far. If you don't like a particular J boat or certain things about it just don't buy one. Little chickenshit comments serve no purpose. As my dear mother always said " if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all ". I believe they have another winner on their hands. Happy Sailing!

1 hour ago, JL92S said:

Some say bland, others would sail minimalistic 

One thing they have done is changed their style to fit into the Euro market by having their designs be IRC focused.

10 hours ago, sailman said:

One thing they have done is changed their style to fit into the Euro market by having their designs be IRC focused.

You’re not wrong, I think J boats discovered they could design competitive boats in IRC since the J109 came along and won many of the main regattas in the UK and continues to be one of the benchmark boats. I think a common misconception is that competitive IRC boats create bad sailing boats but I don’t believe this to be the case anymore. 10 years ago it paid to have a big heavy boat with tiny sails to be competitive but now you can have a fast boat, sail it well and win races. Having raced a 112eGP I can safely say they go upwind at pretty much the same pace as a 122 yet still get up and go when the breeze is on downwind. Ratings aside it’s a really nice boat to sail, it just happens to rate 40 points lower than a 122. Besides all this the J9 will probably rate terribly because it has hardly any interior and is very light!

J/9 is very expensive in Europe due to import tariffs of 25% on the including VAT price of boats. J/9 is not and will not be built in Europe 

Suark,

If you look at BIRW - Yachtscoring, it looks as if they have the J9 rated at 120 (with no dog in the fight, that area has been known to rate boats lower than 'average').

Today will be the first race day (hopefully) for them and I hope all goes well.

Sail safe!

Thank you.  I was assuming it would be a good bit faster than that so I will see how they do at that number.  For whatever reason, I was expecting something around 100 or less based on the J/100 and the J/88 numbers.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SailRacer said:

Suark,

If you look at BIRW - Yachtscoring, it looks as if they have the J9 rated at 120 (with no dog in the fight, that area has been known to rate boats lower than 'average').

Sail safe!

FWIW

Performance Cruising Non-Spin - Pursuit
    1.   sm_none_5.png  USA 1 Banjo J 9 Daysailer Rodney Johnstone  Wadawanuck 1 1   2.0
    2.   sm_none_5.png  USA 52687 Venturesome C&C 110 Bob Zannetti  SHYC 4 2   6.0
    3.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2234 Roi Soleil Canadian Sailcraft/ CS36T Stacy Aslan  Centerport Yacht Club/Lloyd Harbor YC 3 6   9.0
    4.   Other  USA 60141 Veronique Beneteau First 345 Bert Rubin de Cervens  Ketewomoke Yacht Club 5 4   9.0
    5.   sm_none_5.png  47 Finn Bristol 41.1 Brian Finnerty  Hempstead Harbor Club 2 8   10.0
    6.   sm_none_5.png  USA 51229 Meddler J 29 Peter B Hilgendorff  YRA of LIS 7 3   10.0
    7.   sm_none_5.png  6 Ida G Bristol 35.5 Isaac Halpern  NYYC 6 5   11.0
    8.   sm_none_5.png  44 Avventura Sabre 30 Cristina Pace  PYC 10/TLE 7   17.0
    9.   sm_none_5.png  USA 246111 Bianca C&C 35 MK I David Kalal  North Cove Yacht Club 10/TLE 10/RET   20.0

Yes... Banjo had a good day.  All bullets.  Family crew...

Crew Info

Name Position ISAF Country

Alan Johnstone Main Trimmer Group 3 USA
Katie Johnstone Pit Assist Group 1 USA
Matthew Johnstone Headsail Trimmer   USA
Pam Johnstone   Group 1 USA
Rodney Johnstone
22 hours ago, SailRacer said:

Suark,

Sail safe!

YRALIS does not do Non-Spin Ratings, so these results are interesting.

8 hours ago, Foxtrot Corpen said:

Family crew...

Crew Info

Name Position ISAF Country

Alan Johnstone Main Trimmer Group 3 USA
Katie Johnstone Pit Assist Group 1 USA
Matthew Johnstone Headsail Trimmer   USA
Pam Johnstone   Group 1 USA
Rodney Johnstone

yep just a regular family out for a day sail on their new boat :P

On 6/21/2021 at 6:36 PM, xonk1 said:

J Boats is a business. The proof of success or failure is in the order book and annual profit or loss. They work VERY hard to bring boats to market that sailors want and will enjoy. Seem to be pretty successful so far. If you don't like a particular J boat or certain things about it just don't buy one. Little chickenshit comments serve no purpose. As my dear mother always said " if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all ". I believe they have another winner on their hands. Happy Sailing!

it's sailing anarchy - people have opinions....unvarnished ones.  It looks cheap. fun but cheap. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

I don't know. It looks like a lot of pillow fluffing between tacks.

Part of Rod's secret to his great performance at BI this year.  Pillows are as heavy as a normal crew.  Shifts them to the weather side after each tack...

• Like 1

Hull # 4 is now sailing in my area. It was purchased by the type of owner J was targeting. He is experienced and had owned several much larger boats but is older and looking for something simpler. He has some non sailing family members with mobility issues, so the cockpit set up is perfect for his needs. Horses for courses as they say. I think it will work very well for he and his family.

• Like 2