• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Max Sirena, Gilberto Nobili and Horacio Carabelli at the Salone Nautico of Genoa. Here the translation, enjoy. Q: What is the wind for you ? Max : We have a special relationship with the win

Prada is willing to challenge again. Alla prossima volta!

Luna Rossa getting frustrated Luna Rossa skipper: "I was expecting a message from the government"   Google translate! “I confess that I would have expected a message from the gover

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

More likely, a Ducati :lol:

Oh Ducatis are perfectly safe.

Probably the most beautiful static sculptures in the world (I've always wanted one - the 906 in particular).

Can never get hurt cos you can never get them to run.

• Like 1
Just now, strider470 said:

Did De Nora told you that? :D

Anecdotal evidence.

Trouble is that I still want one cos they are soooo beautiful. Closest thing to a Ferrari on 2 wheels.

1 hour ago, Paddywackery said:

Well while you're at it, stop by Ireland first and I'll sort you out for whiskey, Guinness and rashers n sausages :lol:

We could build an Euro crew and sail to NZ to watch the cup. Probably the best 4 months of our lives

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

We could build an Euro crew and sail to NZ to watch the cup. Probably the best 4 months of our lives

Yes, that would be some adventure :lol:

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Bring @strider470with you.

I owe him a coffee. I'm sure, despite my Scottish heritage, I can fork out for a few extra cups.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Great idea, but I snore like a warthog. Think you're going to drop me overboard on day1...:D

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Probably the most beautiful static sculptures in the world (I've always wanted one - the 906 in particular).

Or afford to keep them running.

Apparently the safest bike was the Tiger Cub as it was estimated only 10% were reliable enough to get past the garden gate.

11 minutes ago, Thewas said:

Great idea, but I snore like a warthog. Think you're going to drop me overboard on day1...:D

Perfect, you can do the nightwatch :lol:

15 minutes ago, Thewas said:

Me too :D :D

12 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

Apparently the safest bike was the Tiger Cub as it was estimated only 10% were reliable enough to get past the garden gate.

LOL!

I call them a 9 to 5 bike.

That's not the time when you can use them, but rather the odds they will start tomorrow.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, strider470 said:

It seems that Jimmy was very happy with being in the team. Are there any interviews on the Australian media?

Just grateful to have an AC berth at all, I think, Strider.

On 3/17/2021 at 8:51 PM, Nutta said:

Just send us your photo, and incoming flight details for AC37 and we'll make sure you're welcomed appropriately.

NZ Customs are very attentive when warned about miscreants arriving... 

8)

So, not the Isle of Wight, then? ;-)

4 hours ago, chesirecat said:

Are they made by VW too? :D

5 hours ago, jaysper said:

4 hours ago, chesirecat said:

My Sebring 350 ran when it felt like it, which wasn't very often, or very far.

9 minutes ago, accnick said:

My Sebring 350 ran when it felt like it, which wasn't very often, or very far.

So I am super SUPER rational when it comes to vehicles (cars in particular).

I will pretty much always buy the vehicle that represents the best value for money in terms of capital and operational costs.

But fuck me, I would still love a Ducati which makes zero fucking sense based on the above criteria.

This is the one I like the most. Its an old one now, but still sexy as.

image.jpeg.5512021ab83aa402a2886d72e2481171.jpeg

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

He said 10%, not 5%.

VW, Audi, Porsche, Škoda, SEAT, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Scania, MAN and Ducati. The Wolfsburg gang must be doing something right (now that they're dropped the diesels).

2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

VW, Audi, Porsche, Škoda, SEAT, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Scania, MAN and Ducati. The Wolfsburg gang must be doing something right (now that they're dropped the diesels).

Oh absolutely, but as long as we are honest that its about cachet rather than quality.

When it comes to cars I'd never buy one made by a white person.

Just now, jaysper said:

Oh absolutely, but as long as we are honest that its about cachet rather than quality.

When it comes to cars I'd never buy one made by a white person.

Racist bastard. ;-)

It would be nice if ETNZ and LR could bury the hatchet and get on with each other. There’s no doubt that LR and ETNZ are the strongest teams in the world. I’m sure ETNZ must respect LR and we have been friends in the past. It would be nice if GD got off his high horse and made peace with Max and the LR team. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, mako23 said:

It would be nice if ETNZ and LR could bury the hatchet and get on with each other. There’s no doubt that LR and ETNZ are the strongest teams in the world. I’m sure ETNZ must respect LR and we have been friends in the past. It would be nice if GD got off his high horse and made peace with Max and the LR team. 

Not suggesting LR is faultless, however GD has just always struck me as the sort of guy you could lock in a room with himself and the fists would start flying.

He seems to have an absolute siege mentality.

Quite frankly given the level of assistance that LR have given ETNZ over the years, you would think they would forgive them their trespasses rather than have the relationship turn to shit like it has.

Undoubted there will be the normal ETNZ sycophants along shortly to rant about this. 5..4..3..2..1. LOL!

6 hours ago, jaysper said:

906 or do you mean 916?

916 still a bit temperamental in the mechanical stakes, but but beautiful. Lifted their game after that.

My preference is 848/848 Evo nearly as much show but a lot more reliable go. 

8 minutes ago, Wandering Geo said:

906 or do you mean 916?

916 still a bit temperamental in the mechanical stakes, but but beautiful. Lifted their game after that.

My preference is 848/848 Evo nearly as much show but a lot more reliable go. 

I did mean 906, but the 916 and most other Ducatis are just jaw droppingly beautiful

Bloody Italians and their amazing style :angry:

10 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Retrò. Also watching the hull touching the water was qute impressive. And it is still what I prefer.

Prada-1024x683.thumb.jpg.b9cfe590f0bb041f78bae21790d68066.jpg

Meh. No going back now, Strider. This is like driving in the 70's. All grunt, but no pace.

2 hours ago, mako23 said:

GD is protecting his asset. He doesn't want legitimate competition. Hence, the nationality rule. 

17 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Meh. No going back now, Strider. This is like driving in the 70's. All grunt, but no pace.

But I like sailing also for the feeling of the waves against the heeled hull. Not talking about AC here. And visually, I find more dynamic and exciting a displacement  boat in the waves than a foiling boat at 40 kts in flat lake-like water

7 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

GD is protecting his asset. He doesn't want legitimate competition. Hence, the nationality rule. 

I don't think so, Blitzer. Legitimate competition, he is not afraid of.

But any competition which might weaken, or hobble his Defence (like an EB-style clean out) is anathema to him. One can understand that, at least.

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

But I like sailing also for the feeling of the waves against the heeled hull. Not talking about AC here. And visually, I find more dynamic and exciting a displacement  boat in the waves that a foiling boat at 40 kts in flat lake-like water

Certainly different experiences, I agree. I know the feeling of what you have described and love it too.

I've not personally been on any kind of foiling vessel myself, but I'm sure it would also be an unforgettable experience - just a different one.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

But any competition which might weaken, or hobble his Defence (like an EB-style clean out) is anathema to him. One can understand that, at least.

Okay. So make a 75%, or 90% nationality rule.  But a 100% nationality rule (that doesn't apply to "emerging markets") is a hostile takeover of the AC.  The sole intent is to impair legitimate competition while generously promoting token competition. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

But the real threat of a clean out would be to the design team. Switch sailing teams in this AC and the results are the same. 

• Like 1
Just now, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Okay. So make a 75%, or 90% nationality rule.  But a 100% nationality rule (that doesn't apply to "emerging markets") is a hostile takeover of the AC.  The sole intent is to impair legitimate competition while generously promoting token competition. 

As it happens, I do not embrace a strict, Nationality Rule. But I do understand why, ETNZ would seek to promote one.

1 minute ago, pusslicker said:

But the real threat of a clean out would be to the design team. Switch sailing teams in this AC and the results are the same. 

I do not support a Nationality Rule for team members, period. Although I agree, the Rule applying to the design and engineering teams makes more sense than the sailors, aligning to the DoG's original intent. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Certainly different experiences, I agree. I know the feeling of what you have described and love it too.

I've not personally been on any kind of foiling vessel myself, but I'm sure it would also be an unforgettable experience - just a different one.

Like condom vs no condom IMO.

Not the same without getting wet :)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Like being in the jungle?

33 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Does not want to race the world on the challenger?

10 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Jays, since you started that poetry class, you are so fond of metaphors :D :D

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Does not want to race the world on the challenger?

Eh.  I won't hold that against GD regarding AC37.  It seems like that is strictly a funding move. I.e. JR is going to fund the 1vs1.  I think its wrong, but not because ENTZ doesn't want competition in that instance. 

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

I think EB-style cleans out..........is formost in his mind.  But there we’re also other issues in 2003 that must be pressing on his mind. Finding sponsors for a second defense is harder than challenging or defending for the first time. In 2003 ETNZ recycled masts from the 2000 challenge. You must be short of cash when you start making those sort of compromises. 

IN GD head must be the mantra no repeat of 2003. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jaysper said:

Well that depends on whether you like Tasmania or not :lol:

Well, it's a place full of delights for sure but, too bad about the general deforestation. Some prefer Brazil.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jaysper said:

however GD has just always struck me as the sort of guy you could lock in a room with himself and the fists would start flying.

I just spat rum all over my screen...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, The Advocate said:

I just spat rum all over my screen...

I am happy to have helped you overcome your alcohol addiction. #SAAnonymous :P

• Like 2
17 hours ago, strider470 said:

Retrò. Also watching the hull touching the water was qute impressive. And it is still what I prefer.

Prada-1024x683.thumb.jpg.b9cfe590f0bb041f78bae21790d68066.jpg

Wow! looks like a boat. Long time no see...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Eh?

It was Giancarlo Pedote and Luna Rossa congratulating each other after their good results in Vendee Globe and America's Cup. Good 2021 for the Italians in sailing

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

It was Giancarlo Pedote and Luna Rossa congratulating each other after their good results in Vendee Globe and America's Cup. Good 2021 for the Italians in sailing

Ah crap, until I looked again it seemed like 2 AC boats.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Its because the cartoon decided to put rudder foils on the Imoca, should have had the ass draggin' :lol:

(again, from FareVela video)

- Bertelli full on

- they are already upgrading the Cagliari base

- JS confirmed as only non-Italian

- they’ll be cultivating more young sailors, even a couple of helmsmen

• Like 3
14 hours ago, strider470 said:

13 hours ago, jaysper said:

Yeah. That's because the IMOCA 60 wasn't shown, dragging its arse in the water.

14 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Yeah. That's because the IMOCA 60 wasn't shown, dragging its arse in the water.

Used to have a dog that did that!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Xlot said:

(again, from FareVela video)

- Bertelli full on

- they are already upgrading the Cagliari base

- JS confirmed as only non-Italian

- they’ll be cultivating more young sailors, even a couple of helmsmen

One of the young helmsman could easily be Ruggero Tita, that helmed both the "mini Moon" and LR B1 in this campaign. He left the team to train for the Olympics (Nacra 17). Beside, having a couple of other helmsmen would allow to sail B1 vs B2 (until it is prohibited). 

And is also particularly interesting when Max speak about LR as a team that could participate in other sailing competitions. TP52 ? Or maybe some other foiling competitions ? (Not SailGP I think). 

3 minutes ago, Zaal said:

And is also particularly interesting when Max speak about LR as a team that could participate in other sailing competitions. TP52 ? Or maybe some other foiling competitions ? (Not SailGP I think). 

Aside from the obvious stuff about the AC (pretty interesting BTW), the next big thing in this interview is actually the idea of LR as a "momentum builder" for Italian sailing. NOt only as an example but actually as a structure for different kind of racing activities.
Of course it will always be for the top players (bit like Ferrari, I suppose) but something like this may actually push quite a lot of people into sail racing with a more serious approach.
Quite an ambitious project, but a very welcome one.

2 minutes ago, Thewas said:

Aside from the obvious stuff about the AC (pretty interesting BTW), the next big thing in this interview is actually the idea of LR as a "momentum builder" for Italian sailing. NOt only as an example but actually as a structure for different kind of racing activities.
Of course it will always be for the top players (bit like Ferrari, I suppose) but something like this may actually push quite a lot of people into sail racing with a more serious approach.
Quite an ambitious project, but a very welcome one.

ML (Mascalzone Latino) tried similar:
https://scuolavela.mascalzonelatino.it/en/

On 3/26/2021 at 2:30 AM, strider470 said:

Yep fair play to both teams, Italy is becoming a powerhouse of sailing. 

14 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Yep fair play to both teams, Italy is becoming a powerhouse of sailing. 

We have also a very strong solo sailor, Ambrogio Beccaria, who, the first Italian ever, won the mini transat in the production boat ranking. He arrived third overall very close to the prototypes!

Considering how bad our sailing federation did in the past, it's a miracle.

1 hour ago, Zaal said:

No, not SailGP. In fact, the only times Max briefly relinquished his maddening (and totally un-Italian) low-key, fair play impersonation were a barb towards BA (no love lost there), and a laughing mention of SailGP

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

ML (Mascalzone Latino) tried similar:
https://scuolavela.mascalzonelatino.it/en/

My understanding is the LR project is something quite different: not a sailing school/academy but an actual "top line" racing team.
One of those things that require not only a lot of money, but an impressive consistency over the years, both on racing outcomes and financial investment.
Not sure about the Onorato possibilities on both the terms of the equation.
I stay with the Ferrari model: you (try to) take the best people you find and put them in condition to express themselves at their max.
In the scattered, at least, scene of the Italian sailing this can lead, in some years, to a common goal that could be enormously beneficial.
Our biggest issue, in almost every field, as Italians, has always been a certain inability to build systems. You know: we basically hate each other. :)

3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Considering how bad our sailing federation did in the past, it's a miracle.

Vascotto, in the "Triestinaz" interview, said FIV did change quite few things recently. Is it true?
(long time away, have no idea how things are going in Italy sailing anymore)

1 minute ago, Thewas said:

Vascotto, in the "Triestinaz" interview, said FIV did change quite few things recently. Is it true?
(long time away, have no idea how things are going in Italy sailing anymore)

So it seems. I realy hope.

Inteview to Gilberto Nobili

https://www.formulapassion.it/manifestomotore/parliamone-con/gilberto-nobili-racconta-luna-rossa-new-zealand-coppa-america-557728.html

Gilberto_Nobili_1.jpg.619e34abde22f7dce95b9fbf57231eaa.jpg

Translated with Google Translator:

For the insiders he certainly needs no introduction, for those who do not know him the numbers are enough to present him: 6 American Cups played, 3 of which he won, together with a Louis Vuitton Cup and a Prada Cup. A score that makes Gilberto Nobili, 46, from Reggio Emilia, a veteran and one of the most successful Italian sailors in the history of the Holy Grail of sailing. A journey that began with Luna Rossa, then continued with Oracle and Team New Zealand, and then returned to Bertelli's team in this latest edition. We at FormulaPassion.it had the privilege and the pleasure of interviewing him exclusively. Hello Gilberto, first of all congratulations both for this campaign which, despite the defeat in the final was certainly successful, and for your exceptional career that can only be admired as a sailor. Can you introduce us to your role in the team at a minimum? We know that you are a grinder on the sailing team, but that your responsibilities go far beyond your active contribution in the water. “Let's say I have essentially three roles. In reality, my role on the boat was not initially foreseen, but these boats are very technological and the relationship between the sailor and the vehicle is extremely important. The development phase of the boat continued until the last days of racing, which is the reason I was on board. In addition to the role of grinder historically I have always also developed the interface tools that show the numbers on board and in this campaign, together with Andrea Bazzini, also the entire part of the racing software. Apart from this role, which I have held for many years in the various teams, in this Cup I am also an Operation Manager, with an activity of planning activities and coordinating the various departments (sailing team, logistics, etc.) for both long-term and long-term activities. for short-term ones. Finally I have the coordination of the mechatronics part: we have the hydraulics department, electronics and a good group of software developers, in addition to the mechanical part. Both Luna Rossa and Team New Zealand, but in general all the winning boats of the last American Cups, are heavily based on hydraulic systems controlled by PLCs, and the integration of all these things is obviously very important. To give the idea: for an already level professional athlete, improving physical performance by 5% is almost impossible, while in a hydraulic / mechanical system 5% efficiency can be easily obtained by changing some parts or some operating logic. . The great result for me has been to receive comments in recent days that said 'but you on board did nothing': there was no need because things worked well ". We have introduced the theme of these new boats. You have come a long way that started from the IACC (traditional monohulls ed), then moved on to the huge Oracle trimaran, to the flying catamarans of San Francisco and Bermuda to get to these AC75s, so the first real question that I ask you is: do you think these boats are right for the America's Cup? You like? "I think the AC75 is a beautiful boat, because it combines two things. The first is speed, which young people especially like, and the other is the possibility of having Match Race as in classic sailing. With catamarans speed was king, but maneuverability, albeit good, was not excellent, with each maneuver costing tens and tens of meters. These new boats, on the other hand, proved to be extremely performing in all maneuvers. Initially we thought that the races would run "boundary to boundary" but then we realized that the performance of the boats was so dependent on the intensity and direction of the wind that the cost of the maneuver became secondary to seeking a wind shift or covering the opponent. So the AC75s are boats that have proved to be an excellent combination of classic sailing with the search for the wind or covering the opponent, and the very fast boat. Then historically the America's Cup has always been won by the fastest boat and this edition too was not an exception to the rule ".

Here, coming to the final I ask a question as dry as it is generic: assuming that the Luna Rossa team showed an excellent and already historic performance, was Team New Zealand in some way beatable? If absurdly this final had been run 10 times we would have had 10 results all in favor of the defender? “I make a premise. Both the challenger and the defender have advantages and disadvantages. The big advantage of the challenger is that he arrives trained, prepared and used to racing in the final. The big disadvantage of him is that in the last months before the final, with the commitment of the selection races, the development phase is inevitably reduced. The defender belongs to a whole other parish: he is not used to racing, he trains alone in the middle of the sea, he has no references, but is free to develop and manage his time as he wants. In this situation the first days of the final are the most “at risk” for the defender, because the challenger arrives loaded and prepared, while the defender is, in some ways, more rusty. We went to the final with the wind range we had thought the boat for, medium-low wind, and probably in the first few days we could have won a few more races. As time went by they obviously started to pick up the pace and, continuing to race in our favorite range, we did battle, but honestly we couldn't make the slightest mistake. When we made no mistakes we won, while at the slightest mistake we made in the race course they won. They had a more “relaxed” approach: when they were in front they detached us, when they were behind as soon as we made a mistake they passed us, so in my opinion their boat was faster in general. If we had run it 10 times ... well if they had started from scratch every time it is one thing, but if we had just gone ahead then no, I don't think we could have won it ". Taking up the concept of development somewhat slowed down by the need to qualify for the final, has the Yacht Declaration rule, reintroduced in this edition of the Cup, penalized you in any way? Would you have preferred a freer situation like in the last editions where you could measure a different boat every day? "We made the rule together (Luna Rossa and Team New Zealand ed), it wasn't just their choice. The reason for this rule was to avoid that a team, with a much higher budget than the others, had many more parts than the opponents and could change something every day. So it was decided to push for all-round boats, that is, the boat that wins must be able to win in all wind conditions. In general it is not a bad rule. For example Team New Zealand, which was probably faster than us in strong winds, proved to be fast even in the low range and therefore deserved to win. Honestly, however, the development times for a set of dinghies are so long that it is probably unrealistic to think of being able to develop 3-4 more sets and maybe change them during the race ”. You said that in the end he still raced in your favorite wind range, so we have to think that with a higher range New Zealand's lead would have been even greater? “Obviously I can't know that. Returning to the differences between challenger and defender, there is another problem that probably went unnoticed by many. It all starts with the objectives at the beginning of the campaign: if your goal is to win the America's Cup you have to design a boat that is as performing as possible during the America's Cup period, so Luna Rossa had to design a boat that, weather statistics in hand, was at the top of its performance in March. The problem is that this is perfect for Team New Zealand: they knew they had to design a boat that would race 6-10 days from March 6th onwards. For Luna Rossa it's different: we had to race the Prada Cup meeting American Magic, which was a super-performing boat in strong winds, and Ineos who was strong in the mid-range. So even if we had to have an excellent boat from 6 to 20 March 2021, in the meantime we had to make choices that would allow us to get there. When we arrived in New Zealand in late 2020 and started sailing with the others, we realized that we were very strong in our wind range, but the others were stronger in medium wind or strong wind conditions. So we had to invest a lot of our time and a lot of our resources to improve Luna Rossa in those wind ranges in order to get to the final. I think this is an important thing ”.

Regarding this theme of technical choices on Luna Rossa, it seemed that many choices were aimed at pure Match Race, sometimes even more than performance. An example is also the choice of the double helmsman, in contrast to all the others, which expresses the maximum advantage precisely in close situations of racing. Was it really like that? "One of the initial premises of our campaign, with the experience gained with the AC50, was that transferring people from one part of the boat to the other costs for three reasons. The first is aerodynamics because you have a person in the middle who moves, the second is that whoever moves at that moment does not produce energy (thinking of grinders), the third is that you have an instability phase of the boat as the helmsman has to pass the rudder to someone else while moving. With the great initial uncertainty of how much energy the boat needed, if 8 grinders were needed or 6 for example, we had to make choices. Training in Cagliari, with certain characteristics of the place, the choice seemed excellent. When we got here we found the wind a bit more "dancer" and we needed a tactician and Pietro (Sibello ed) did a great job of taking responsibility for making the tactical calls as well. Honestly, with hindsight, perhaps I would reassess the discourse of having a dedicated trimmer for foils, but the choice of the two helmsmen I think is valid. If Team New Zealand and Luna Rossa had been more similar in speed, our configuration would certainly have been a plus ”. Speaking of choices made and returning to the design of the boat: the impression from the outside is that Luna Rossa had started very well with boat 1. With the various of the second boats we have seen the other challengers approach the concepts of Luna Rossa, New Zealand making something still different and Luna Rossa in some way trying, with the second boat, to realize the good things done with the first. Reconstructing the logic of the design, would the process still lead to the same result, or were there radical choices that have been made that, if taken differently, could lead to something totally different? “We and Team New Zealand have had the luck-bad luck of doing good boat 1, also because we came from a certain experience. A group of Team New Zealand came here to Luna Rossa, and this group had a lot of things clear. For Ineos and American Magic it was a little different, their first boat looked like a TP52 or a traditional 100 footer because they had a different background. I believe that the first boat from both Luna Rossa and Team New Zealand would also have done very well in the America's Cup. At that point you have two choices: on the one hand you know you have made a good boat with some room for improvement and you can work on the hull, on the deck layout and on many other things to improve each one by a few percentage points. Or you can try doing something completely different. If it goes better than the other excellent, otherwise you will know that you still have a good boat available. There are two philosophical choices, we opted for the first one since the Prada Cup regattas started in January, Team New Zealand made another one, facilitated by having more time available. We then made some initial choices, such as the Post (the hidden boom ed) which were difficult to put on a boat made differently. Team New Zealand had made initial choices a little more classic in some things and was able to afford to do something totally different and did very well to do so. They put boat 2 into the sea, saw that it was better than boat 1 and continued with that. In any case, they are two choices, both of which are consistent with a decision-making process, both of which are sensible ”. In your opinion Te Rehutai was the first example of the 2.0 version of the AC75 and will the boats of the next generation look like it or should we expect to see boats that are still totally different? “I don't think Te Rehutai was version 2.0, but 1 point something. We had thought of many of the things they had on the boat too and then we didn't realize by choice, because they didn't go well with other things we had on the boat, for example. An example are the cockpits: we had thought of them too but in our setup they did not go well, precisely because we had the Post enclosed by the Endplate and all that part. I think none of the teams that sign up for the 37th America's Cup, however, will be able to settle for a 1.5 version of these boats, but we will all have to aim for 2.0. Today, if I left again, Luna Rossa would be different as well as, I imagine, Team New Zealand too ”.

During the final we saw Team New Zealand make a big leap in performance day after day, was it this growth curve that gave him the final? Asking a question that is somewhere between the technical and the psychological, how hard was it for you to see how far they advanced? “Historically the America's Cup Finals are one way, and apart from 2013 when I was with Oracle, they're usually badly lost. We fought for it, to the point that if in some races we hadn't made certain mistakes we would have made a few more points. Then it is true that one must say that being faster they might have won later anyway, but psychology still plays an important role, and bad luck too, you never know what can happen. However, we have been very good as a team to grow ourselves. It went unnoticed because having grown up a lot we didn't see how much we have grown, but in the final we sailed beyond our design targets for a long time, so we grew a lot, obviously not as much as they did, also because they obviously had a highest benchmark ". I wanted to ask you a more personal question now. The public that is unfamiliar with sailing has no perception of how the America's Cup is an all-encompassing experience from a human point of view, both for sailors and their families. How are these Cup campaigns also experienced from a human point of view? “Let's make a premise, in this campaign with Luna Rossa we have brought new people to the team, both sailors and non-sailors. The first thing I said to everyone is "Gentlemen, you are closed for practically 4 years in a crystal ball in which if you like sports and technology there is as much as you want, with decision-making processes completely different from the classic ones seen in companies, but you will live closed in this sphere ”. For example, speaking of sailors, you arrive at the base early in the morning, do training at the base, have breakfast at the base, go out to sea, have lunch at the base, do everything here, in the evening you go home and if you are lucky you see your child before he goes to bed. This is all-encompassing. Maybe Max and I should have given more vacations, but when you are on the run all of this absorbs you completely. Then, after 4 years in this sphere, on March 17, 2021 the America's Cup ended and you ask yourself “what am I going to do now?”. At home all people are used to their working hours, to free weekends, while you are a machine used to going at 150 per hour, 7 days a week and you live a little in your bubble. It will take some time to return to normal. The families that follow us have now run in over the years, but still it is tough. Perhaps harder for them than for us ". One last question, the two futures: what is in the near future of Luna Rossa and that of Gilberto Nobili? “Unfortunately we are in a stalemate. While traditionally the defender who wins the Cup immediately declares times and locations, at this moment Team New Zealand has decided to have the English team of Ineos as Challenger of Record, but they have not yet declared what will happen. They have released information on stringent nationality rules for sailors and on the fact that the boats will be similar to these for at least two editions, but then there are inferences about hypothetical 2-a-side regattas. Right now, waiting for a protocol and without a venue, it's a little hard to say. Bertelli has already told the press that, if there is the next Cup, Luna Rossa will be there. These days we are closing the base. Now we are a bit stuck in this limbo, so it is still too early to talk about the imminent future ". Well the two-man match would be a shame, since this was a good America's Cup, which was missing in the end only a few more challengers. “Certainly if this class goes on as it appears to be, there would be many more challengers. Today there are 8 boats of this class available on the market. A team that enters today can buy boats and design packages and start from there, which was not feasible 4 or 5 years ago. It would therefore be much more attractive for a new team to enter and hope to be competitive, which is fundamental. Let's see ”. For my part and for all the editorial staff of FormulaPassion.it thanks again both to Gilberto Nobili and to Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team, and good wind! FP | Federico Albano

• Like 6

Thanks for a really meaningful piece. As a detail, it got me wondering - about LRPP having to react to the high and medium wind gap against AM and INEOS - whether those teams made a conscious decision to neglect the Match (considering beating ETNZ a lost cause) and optimize for the. CSS instead

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

^^^ Interesting that they were constrained in their design decisions by maintaining the under deck boom.

not sure in what thread, but one of these never ending forum discussions on the design lead to the conclusion that the more likely reason that drove LR hull that shape was actually the "Post", the underdeck boom. Whether it came from inability to put everything between the two sails or from a clear and more effective design choice we still don't know...

Edited by Thewas
1 hour ago, Thewas said:

Whether it came from inability to put everything between the two sails or from a clear and more effective design choice we still don't know...

They did end up with the nicest looking main. Their clew area was tidier than TR's - who had to accommodate all that "stuff". LR's nice main may have contributed to their high mode - something no other team could match. They might have achieved that with their larger foils, with maybe differential flap settings? It's not often the best pointing boat loses a match racing series.

30 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

They did end up with the nicest looking main. Their clew area was tidier than TR's - who had to accommodate all that "stuff". LR's nice main may have contributed to their high mode - something no other team could match. They might have achieved that with their larger foils, with maybe differential flap settings? It's not often the best pointing boat loses a match racing series.

I Agree the LR boom design was very tidy, but I still suspect that the biggest difference between the boats was in the foil design.  I wonder if the kiwi foils went as small as possible. If this was their biggest asset, then this spells problems for ETNZ in the future. It will be very easy for other teams to replicate these  foils. 

1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

It was definitely clean, but I felt like ETNZ had much more camber adjustment throughout the rig and seemed like they could adjust it more finely and quicker. I can't say that definitively from just watching the races, but that's the impression I got.

LR was cleaner but ETNZ had better control and more adjustability.

• Like 1

Wow, Dan Bernasconi signing for Prada.

Good move! Unexpected! Luckily there is no nationality rule for designers!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Yeah right...we all know it’s April fools day

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Yeah right...we all know it’s April fools day

Surely a fool thing is the number written on the check

23 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Patrizio Bertelli is applying for NZ Residency and buying Team NZ.  It is the quickest way to win AC after so many tries.

1 minute ago, fish7yu said:

Patrizio Bertelli is applying for NZ Residency and buying Team NZ.  It is the quickest way to win AC after so many tries.

Truth is he could have

40 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

Makes more sense than just signing Dan Bernasconi.

But Bertelli isn't Swiss. Not his style

25 minutes ago, strider470 said:

But Bertelli isn't Swiss. Not his style

That Swiss guy didn't exactly brought TNZ, he signed key persons from TNZ.

Wait, is there any differences from Bertelli signing Dan?

Since TNZ is financially challenged, Mr. Bertelli may just buy the entire team/operation, saving all the fuss on head-hunting.

"Prada Team Kiwi", pretty catchy name I think. ;)

3 hours ago, idontwan2know said:

I felt like ETNZ had much more camber adjustment throughout the rig and seemed like they could adjust it more finely and quicker.

I think both boats generated as much camber as their respective setups needed. LR maybe needing a tad less due to the bigger foils?

From the stern cams, traveler movement looked quite similar. I thought LR's might have been a smidge more responsive. Their hydraulics were much quieter, possibly indicating a more advanced setup?

3 hours ago, mako23 said:

If this was their biggest asset, then this spells problems for ETNZ in the future. It will be very easy for other teams to replicate these  foils. 

You have to be able to fly smaller foils as well. AM had flight issues with their small foils. LR started off with really small foils, but for whatever reason went to something much larger. ETNZ, as we saw, made their small foils work in the light, so a complete package was required to get them to work - so not so easy to do I'm thinking......