• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prada is willing to challenge again. Alla prossima volta!

Max Sirena, Gilberto Nobili and Horacio Carabelli at the Salone Nautico of Genoa. Here the translation, enjoy. Q: What is the wind for you ? Max : We have a special relationship with the win

There is so much here that wrong with your comments. Firstly, you clearly do not know Auckland weather traits - it does not have clockwork reliability in the weather it receives. It is not a Cont

Posted Images

On 8/7/2021 at 11:59 AM, dg_sailingfan said:

Could be a telling sign @Stingray~that the next Cup is going to be contested in Europe? The Italians have their two Boats back in Cagliari!

Several of the Cork articles have pointed to a 'competition' between venues for holding a multichallenger event specifically for in 2024. No need to keep your boats there for that long, even if it is in Auckland, am surprised AM's boats are still there.  

31 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Several of the Cork articles have pointed to a 'competition' between venues for holding a multichallenger event specifically for in 2024. No need to keep your boats there for that long, even if it is in Auckland, am surprised AM's boats are still there.  

If it's indeed 2024 I struggle to see how they can hold it in the Northern Hemisphere mate. The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics are running between July 26th and 11th August. My money is if it's indeed in the Nothern Hemis it's going to be either 2023 or 2025.

Grant Dalton certainly doesn't want AC37 to collide with the 2024 Summer Olympics and the 2024 EURO (14th June to 24th July).

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

If it's indeed 2024 I struggle to see how they can hold it in the Northern Hemisphere mate. The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics are running between July 26th and 11th August.

THutch spoke about this with TE, they figured that (like in Valencia in 07) a northern H event would end by June and therefore not run during the Olympics.

13 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

THutch spoke about this with TE, they figured that (like in Valencia in 07) a northern H event would end by June and therefore not run during the Olympics.

June would though still overlap with the 2024 EURO which is run between June 14 to July 14. Interesting times ahead no doubt about it!

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

June would though still overlap with the 2024 EURO which is run between June 14 to July 14. Interesting times ahead no doubt about it!

There were literally 30000 people watching these races. Timing with real events means fuckall. This is about GD stuffing his pockets some more before he gets out.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, pusslicker said:

There were literally 30000 people watching these races. Timing with real events means fuckall. This is about GD stuffing his pockets some more before he gets out.

I wouldn't just blame Grant Dalton! Jacinda Ardern and her ultra leftist NZ Government needs to be blamed too. There will never be a complete COVID-free World. This approach from her closing borders until everybody is vaccinated is bonaheaded & wrong.

Grant can't take the Chance of having another AC with borders being closed and no foreigners coming in.

42 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I wouldn't just blame Grant Dalton! Jacinda Ardern and her ultra leftist NZ Government needs to be blamed too. There will never be a complete COVID-free World. This approach from her closing borders until everybody is vaccinated is bonaheaded & wrong.

Grant can't take the Chance of having another AC with borders being closed and no foreigners coming in.

Only a Nazi would think that NZ government is ultra leftist. Where are you from anyway? 

• Like 5

the idea that there is a considerable overlap in demographic between the foot ball Euros and the AC is hilarious.

equally now that the most of the Olympic lot have had classes cancelled or not done as well as expected (NZ) how many are actually likely to be away on Olympic duty should it clash with the Olympics. I would wager not many..

• 4 weeks later...

B0BF18A3-C154-4038-A999-00177FEF83CB.thumb.png.1f94e39e7688fdf199493d074ca83b08.png

LR started training for the 37th AC. I’m wondering who’s driving, probably JS. Checco and Tita are on Garda Lake for the moth world championship. The pic is a little blurry, but I recognize foils 1 and 2. It seems to me that this is B1, maybe B2 was out of sight (practicing with 2 AC75 while it isn’t yet prohibited seems to me a smart move)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Looks like the village idiot can’t differentiate between the past and present tense surprise surprise.

The original post was "A team with all its funding in place" Having funding in place means nothing, hence the above pics - but I get it, you're a little slow. Hey, nobodies perfect.

53 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The original post was "A team with all its funding in place" Having funding in place means nothing, hence the above pics - but I get it, you're a little slow. Hey, nobodies perfect.

If you want to play that game, this works too. 

image.jpeg.1d4075f95b3be66400bb5e0f8da89b74.jpeg

as others less stupid than you have suggested,  I was discussing the present tense.

Still any old excuse to see what overconfidence blending to crushing failure and an old man thrashing himself to the detriment of a teams performance looks like. Enjoy the tears. 

12 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

If you want to play that game, this works too. 

image.jpeg.1d4075f95b3be66400bb5e0f8da89b74.jpeg

as others less stupid than you have suggested,  I was discussing the present tense.

Still any old excuse to see what overconfidence blending to crushing failure and an old man thrashing himself to the detriment of a teams performance looks like. Enjoy the tears. 

15 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Looks like the village idiot can’t differentiate between the past and present tense surprise surprise.

13 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Hah, had to larf when FanboyFour automatically owned the village idiot title without being actually named.

Hook line and sinker.

Max is losing his mind, and might need to see some one professionally. 

Ever since getting back to Italy, he has been doing the rounds at events and shows, and quietly re-writing history and talking bollocks.

So far, he has claimed...

• The idea for cyclors for ETNZ in the 2017 Cup. His.
  • The idea for the Oracle wing in 2010. His
  • The other teams ganged up on LR in AC36 and banned them from using his idea of no running backstays, and thus cost them the Cup.

He must be the the most under appreciated innovator in AC history. At least in his mind.

max.PNG

• Downvote 1
50 minutes ago, ChairborneRanger said:

Ever since getting back to Italy, he has been doing the rounds at events and shows, and quietly re-writing history and talking bollocks.

• The other teams ganged up on LR in AC36 and banned them from using his idea of no running backstays, and thus cost them the Cup.

He must be the the most under appreciated innovator in AC history. At least in his mind.

max.PNG

Ha. Massimiliano is pretty good at talking it up.

Tutto chiacchiere e niente pantaloni, no?

9 hours ago, ChairborneRanger said:

max.PNG

You can prove he is lying? No thought not.. 

10 hours ago, ChairborneRanger said:

Not at all.

- The cyclor's idea was developed by LR design team (Botin at that time) and Gilberto Nobili in the 35th AC, it's still unknown if ETNZ were developing the same concept before the "merging" with LR, it's entirely possible that the Kiwis were developing cyclors as well. The loophole about the foil control system was 100% LR, and that is confirmed by Chris Draper (LR helmsman in that campaign) here

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2019/08/06/sitting-down-with-chris-draper/

- Max never said that the wing-sail was "his" idea. He said that RC put him in charge of the realization of the project. He was one of the first hires of RC for the would be 33th AC which should have been with 90-foot monohulls. 

- It's absolutely true that the other teams ganged up against LR, protesting the italian solution (that was hiding the backstays between the two mainsails). It's not a secret and it was the right move from them, taking away an advantage to another team. It has always been done. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Zaal said:

Not at all.

- The cyclor's idea was developed by LR design team (Botin at that time) and Gilberto Nobili in the 35th AC, it's still unknown if ETNZ were developing the same concept before the "merging" with LR, it's entirely possible that the Kiwis were developing cyclors as well. The loophole about the foil control system was 100% LR, and that is confirmed by Chris Draper (LR helmsman in that campaign) here

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2019/08/06/sitting-down-with-chris-draper/

- Max never said that the wing-sail was "his" idea. He said that RC put him in charge of the realization of the project. He was one of the first hires of RC for the would be 33th AC which should have been with 90-foot monohulls,  

- It's absolutely true that the other teams ganged up against LR, protesting the italian solution (that was hiding the backstays between the two mainsails). It's not a secret and it was the right move from them, taking away an advantage to another team. It has always been done. 

image.jpeg.d0bdc69866b554ca7658b309d050b526.jpeg

10 hours ago, ChairborneRanger said:

max.PNG

You have some issues in reading and comprehension, I fear. Read more carefully what Zaal wrote.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ChairborneRanger said:

If he said he sailed the winning AC50 to victory in 2017, would you want me to prove that he didn't too?

He's full of

image.jpeg.8f6ccc702023bf5cb724b57f0da543ca.jpeg

Ok so Max who has worked across multiple AC teams and was part of the Prada team before they withdrew and was  was dropped into TNZ in the build up to Bermuda knows less about what happened than you?  

and you think he is full of shit? :lol:

• Like 2

And anyway, Max never disrespected ETNZ, and always praised them after their win. In his interviews I have never heard anything negative against TNZ and he accepted the result on the water with sportsmanship. He clearly regret about the aspects of LR's campaign that he thinks led to losing the AC.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Ok so Max who has worked across multiple AC teams and was part of the Prada team before they withdrew and was  was dropped into TNZ in the build up to Bermuda knows less about what happened than you?  

and you think he is full of shit? :lol:

From where I sit, with what I know, with what I do, I can confidently say he is.

Luna Rossa getting frustrated

Luna Rossa skipper: "I was expecting a message from the government"

Google translate!

“I confess that I would have expected a message from the government for Luna Rossa, which has not arrived. I expected it, for the team and also for me. It is done for so many futile things… ". Max Sirena, the skipper of Luna Rossa, takes off a pebble. Small, perhaps, but for those who represented Italy at the America's Cup, for a boat that has brought the excellence of Made in Italy to the world, for over 140 people (yes, not all of Italian nationality, but under the Italian flag ) who have damned their souls to bring the trophy of sailing trophies to Italy, perhaps a "good" in fact expected it. Also because it was the prime minister who attended the launch of the first Luna Rossa.

"Seven baby food"

Oh well, Sirena is like that. He is the one of the " America's cup is not the grandfather's cup " pointed out at a press conference in Auckland, during the Cup, to a non-Italian journalist (and in any case, he also has some for the Italians) that tormented him, or as he said today to the English "that I wish they were here in the audience, because we have fed him seven baby food"(How do you translate? Baby food?). The speech was broader, it concerned precisely the Italian excellence that was also shown to the world by Luna Rossa, to “those Anglo-Saxons who when you get into a taxi and tell them that you are Italian they immediately tell you mafia, spaghetti bunga bunga. Thanks also to Luna Rossa we showed that we are also something else ”, Max said to the audience - very numerous - that gathered around the Luna Rossa moment of the Genoa Boat Show.

"The Kiwis don't say anything"

It must be said that immediately afterwards, other champions of Italian sailing were added to Max, Gillo Nobili (sailor and operations manager) and Horatio Carabelli (the chief designer), the Olympic gold medals Ruggero Tita and Caterina Banti and the navigator of the Vendée Globe Giancarlo Pedote . But let's stay on Luna Rossa.

In the meantime, let's look forward to the America's Cup. Few new. Horatio tells me that there is already a team of designers working in Cagliari, but until more is known there is little to say. “New Zealanders are great at saying a lot and saying nothing. We do not know where the Cup will be held (it makes a difference, because depending on the hemisphere the times also change, and then there are the weather conditions, the logistics), when, with what rules, with how many and which boats (yes, the Ac75 , but for example with which cards? For example, how many drifts? Which foils?) ", points out Sirena. He also adds that perhaps the locality is relative, but that it is important to know everything else. “ The Kiwis pass for being the most loyal in the world (pebble), but then they play their cards as best they can, as it should be.This is the America's Cup, and it is also the beauty of the trophy. It is very difficult to win and that is why we like it and it haunts us ”.

It must be explained, for those who are not familiar with things. Team New Zealand won the Cup, so it sets the rules: where, when, how. “The advantage is not only in playing at home and knowing the pitch, but also in having a little more time than the opponents. The Defender starts knowing more than us and has more time to see what the challengers do ”, adds Nobili.

The photo-pizzini

In today's meeting in Genoa, some photos taken by that magician who is Carlo Borlenghi were proposed. One shows a sheet of Max's notes. “Fantastic shore teams. The real winners ”, one of the annotations. Another pebble. “ At the beginning of the Auckland adventure we lost a few regattas at the Christmas Cup and we were immediately accused of a failed campaign (journalists vil breed damned). As team leader I had to keep morale high, motivate the team, pat on the back. The shore team did a tremendous job, 24 hours a day. They made possible what designers and sailors thought of to make the boat go faster. The real winners ".

Another note reads “25-26 off. Too long! ". “I find it hard to think about days off,” says Sirena. Note that they referred to 25 and 26 December. The talk of time that is never enough, you know. Horacio had an agenda without a day marked in red, a holiday, so to speak.

Another photo, Jimmy Spithill's lunch box on board, while he is fumbling with the tools. It is pasta and probably cold, as the container was still half full. "You are on board, you work, the lunch box arrives, maybe at that moment you have to try what you have done, there is no time to eat", explains Nobili. And then, another shot, the 7-meter-long Luna Rossa prototype (the quick & dirty) built by Horacio and his team to test the performances of his older sister on a smaller scale. The picture shows the well filled with water. “Horacio made a prototype Stradivarius. And when you go at 36 knots and then suddenly stop at 4 knots, the boat turns into a bathtub. But in the Cagliari summer it's also nice… ”, says Max.“ Well… ”, Gillo replies.

Could more have been done?

They ask for it from the audience. Given that in any case Luna Rossa won the Prada Cup, “which is not a trivial matter - Nobili still remembers - even if we then only remember who wins the Cup because there is no second, we tried to the last”. “ It was like drowning a fish in water,” says Max, and gives the idea. “The Kiwis went faster, they could also afford to make more mistakes. We had to go 100%, and we did it perfectly in several races, but it wasn't enough. Could we have made different choices? Maybe yes. We also tried the foils like theirs, on the prototype. But we favored maneuverability. We probably could have won a few more races… But the Cup is this: the one who makes one mistake less than the other wins ”.

Someone else reminds the skipper of the flying case, removed by Luna Rossa and remitted after the lost appeal. “ It was a lost lead, but we didn't have many allies in New Zealand. We spent weeks in legal battles ”(pebble). And then, a personal reflection. He had said, Sirena, before the Cup, that it might be the last. But this is not the case. Luna Rossa has already launched her new challenge at the 37th America's Cup, which will be the eighth for Max. " I stayed because we didn't win, and I like to win and because I owed it to Patrizio Bertelli (the owner), who believed in me and entrusted the team to me ”.

We look forward

The Kiwis have only said that there will be an Ac40 - a reduced version of the Ac75 - for young people and women, mandatory for the participating teams to have. Luna Rossa what does she say? “That we don't know anything else, not even how many will be on top of it”. The team has already made it open to young people, with the next generation program. As for the women, never seen on board a Red Moon, Sirena confesses that she has already received many applications. “It had never happened to me that so many women wrote to me…” , he jokes. “I think, however, that Italy has the strongest sailors in the world,” he adds, looking at the gold medalist Caterina Banti.

Yeah, will she be there too? It depends on the timing, I guess. Paris Games 2024, America's Cup 2024… Ruggero Tita had already been with Luna Rossa for 8-9 months, then when the Tokyo Olympics were postponed he had to choose. I know what Ruggero would like - Max tells him, looking at him (the helm said so), but whoever arrives makes himself available to the team and then the boat will decide" . “I arrive with humility, at the disposal of the team”, echoes Tita. It's almost done

• Like 7

Max Sirena, Gilberto Nobili and Horacio Carabelli at the Salone Nautico of Genoa. Here the translation, enjoy.

Q: What is the wind for you ?

Max : We have a special relationship with the wind, especially when you miss a wind shift and have a somewhat particular dialogue with the wind gods. Seriously, sailing is something that still excites me a lot, and I recommend everyone, regardless of age, to approach the world of sailing.

Q : How exciting was it to see a project on paper become reality?

Horacio: it was an incredible emotion, I represent a team of designers of 40 people and it was wonderful to see the concept of such an innovative boat born and then to see it win the Prada Cup and sail the AC against ETNZ

Q: Looking back, how do you judge the feat you have done?

Gillo: Obviously one remembers better the most exciting things. Sometimes the most exciting things are those that leave a bitter taste in your mouth, hence the Cup match. I remember that better than the Prada Cup, that we almost forgot to have won, although it was neither easy nor predictable.

Max is asked how his famous grandfather's cup joke came about, and he says it was a joke made to avoid a repetitive question that he had already answered many times, and so he did it.

Some pics appears on the screen: 

paper.png.503814544d32a211925998b7290fa539.png

Q: what was that piece of paper ?

(edit: on the paper is written :

- shore team super, the real winners

- 3 days of work, 23-24 sailing)

- dinner / 25 / 26 off - too long

- *ds after Christmas

- mast

- sails

- systems

- rudder )

Max : about every week we hold a team meeting, together with Gillo, Horacio and others of the team (edit: in previous interviews Max called it the core group) where we talk about the schedule, what we are doing and what we're going to do. Those are notes from one of those team meetings, which are very important. The team is made up of over 120 people who live 24/7 for the boat, and that of the team meeting is an exciting moment. I don't deny that several times I have been very moved in speaking, in the good moments but above all in the bad moments, as Gillo said before. The good moments you forget them immediately, often it is the negative things that remain impressed on you. The team meeting also serves to convey the philosophy and way of thinking that the team must have to achieve the objectives.

Q: what about the first point, the shore team?

Max : the shore team is "the" team. Often who appear in the newspaper are the sailors, or someone like me that represent the team, but what happens behind the scene is the real key to success. I did 7 AC campaigns, but this was the first one in which the shore team made the real difference. After the first regatta of the Christmas Cup, which was lost to ETNZ, the newspapers wrote that LR's was a failed campaign. Keeping morale high on the team was difficult. The shore team did an impressive job. We had a very detailed planning about the upgrades to the boat, and the shore team had to work 24/7, divided into groups that worked 6/8 hour shifts to do not only routine maintenance but also to realize what 40 designers - together with the sailors - thought during the night to make the boat faster. The paper was right after the Christmas Cup, everyone expected some days off, but I'm a bit allergic to days off, and in fact I wrote "too long".

Q : Is it true that you basically did not have days off, since in AC time is the most important thing?

Horacio: absolutely yes. The boat is very complex and cannot be changed every day during the regattas, but only in certain time slots provided for by the Protocol. 25 and 26 off wasn't for us or the shore team, that's for sure.

lunch_box_.thumb.png.bf7a17d8e9881d38aac814806206fe85.png

Q: what was that ? How it is eating at 40 knots ?

Gillo : This is Jimmy's lunch box, who often - like everyone else - ate on board. It is very important to maximize sailing times, sometimes someone from the shore team has to come onboard to refine something, then when you can start again maybe the wind has changed and you have to change the jib or the mainsail. Unlike other sports in which you can plan when you train, when you eat and when you rest, on the boat this is not possible, you eat as soon as you have a moment of break, but it is not certain that one will be able to finish lunch before leaving again.

shed.thumb.png.c674d33f0b2303b159d3376a28a3872c.png

Q: what was happening at that moment, why were you there? One would expect to see a head designer in the office.

Horacio: the pic is by Carlo Borlenghi, that's B1. It took about 70,000 hours of design and another 70,000 hours of construction to launch the first boat. On a team level, it is very important to show that you are there, to be present, alongside people who are giving everything for the boat. The photo was taken in the Persico shipyards, we were packing the boat and we were slightly late. Persico, as well as Cariboni and many others, have given us enormous help.

610221793_qd.thumb.png.3e681908a9b7f2105f1ab7223380b636.png

Q : What was happening here ?

Max: That was our "quick and dirty", our 7 and a half meter prototype. I wanted it quick and dirty but Horacio gave us a Stradivari. This is what happens when you splash down, going from 38 knots to maybe 4: the boat becomes a bathtub. These boats have a very low free board, and are not made to be in the water, but to fly over the water.

Q: Gillo, can you explain more about the work you've done seeking Italian excellences as suppliers? Is there a lot of Italy on Luna Rossa?

Gillo: there is a lot of Italy in all the America's Cup teams. LR is practically all Italian, the partnership with our suppliers is essential. LR's history is long, so we became friends with some of them. On these boats all the components must be at the highest level.

Q: Max, can you tell us more about these excellences?

Max : at the beginning of each campaign, the three of us travel around Italy by car, looking for Italian excellence. A nice thing about our work is that it allows you to get to know realities that are little known to the public. I discovered that an Italian company from the Marche sells compasses to the US Navy, that there are world leaders Italian companies in a lot of areas : a company in Val D 'Aosta in electric accumulators, in mechatronics, Persico in the sector of the composite, Cariboni in hydraulic systems, Gottifredi Maffioli, and also Harken, which is an American company but which develops its hardware in Italy.

Q: can you tell us about what you do with One Ocean Foundation?

Max : it's important that each of us do something to limit the consumption of plastic. If we all do something, the overall impact of these actions would be very great. We work in the sea, we can say that the sea is our office, and we've a fairly clear picture of what is happening, not so much in the Mediterranean as in the Oceans. We must always remember that we don't have a Plan B, since we don't have a Planet B. It takes years to change an industrial process, while we can immediately stop doing wrong behaviors such as throwing plastic on the beach, or throwing masks around on the street, or at sea. Sport is very useful in conveying this message.

Q: What is the most particular message you received during the AC?

Max : More than those received, I must say that I was a little bit upset not to receive any messages, no calls from the Government for what we have achieved.

Q : Gillo, where are the other team members? We have seen Checco sailing a lot, from the SailGp to the Moth world championship.

Gillo : after an AC cycle there is always a pause period, which is needed both on a personal level and because until you know the new Protocol you can't do a lot. However, a small group of LRs are still active even now.

Q: Yesterday ETNZ postponed the announcement about the location. Apparently Cork, Valencia, Barcelona, Jeddah or AKL remain. (edit : Gillo's face about Barcelona and Jeddah is epic, at 34:24). Which one would you prefer Max?

Max : we should do it in Genoa, it's such a beautiful city. On a more serious note, I don't really care about the location, I just need to know where and when it will be hold, and with which boats, so I can start organizing the campaign. AC is like that, whoever wins tries to get an advantage by hiding the venue and the Protocol for as long as possible, it's part of the game. It is actually one of the secrets of the AC, which makes it so interesting and difficult to win.

Q : Gillo, how much was ETNZ favored in the Match from playing at home and knowing the location perfectly?

Gillo: that's not the Defender's only advantage. Of course for sailors like Pete and Blair, who grew up in that gulf, it can be an advantage, but I would say that the biggest advantages for the Defender are others. I also participated in an AC as a Defender (edit: SF)) and I can say that you have about three months more timei n which you can look at the technical solutions of the other teams and maybe copy them. In addition, the logistical support. During Covid we had to move almost 300 people (team members and families) to NZ, build a new base. This are very distracting issues. In Valencia it was different, the teams had moved four years before the Cup, but in this edition this big relocation, with the launch of B2 that had just arrived,+ and the transport of the equipment were things that costed a lot in terms of money, time, and distraction.

Q : Horacio, how did you deal with the lockdown and what did you learn from that situation?

Horacio : it was a very difficult time. The ACWS of Cagliari and Portsmouth were milestones for us in terms of development, we were unable to see the solutions of the others compared to ours. We studied the other boats a lot and tried to do everything possible on ours, what was possible while respecting the safety distances. We were very anxious about the construction of B2, Persico is in Bergamo, one of the areas most affected by Covid. For a moment we even thought that we would not have a B2, and that we would continue with the 1. Our B1 was the best compared to those of the other teams, but we were still very anxious, it was a very difficult period.

Q: Max are you stressed knowing that Ineos is the COR?

Max : I'm actually happy, being COR is a big distraction. I'm happy for them, maybe they don't know what it's like to be COR. They will have some information before us, but I don't see it as a big deal

Q : So are you actually releaved ?

Max : Yes, because the AC is not the Olympics, where you have certain dates, a schedule, and everyone uses the same boats. AC is a different game, a sporting but above all technological competition, it's all about finding new solutions, new systems, new construction processes, it's all about creating a new technology. It takes a long time to build these things, and you have a limited number of attempts at your disposal. If on top of that you have also to argue with the Defender about rules, how to write the rules, and in the end they don't even respect what was agreed upon, it's definitely better to don't have this things to worry about and just wait for the Protocol (if they'll ever make one). In Cagliare there are already 34 designers working so LR can be ready to start.

Q : Gillo, you were talking about information earlier. Regarding the location, if you change hemisphere you also change the period, consequently you may have more or less months to organize this campaign. How does this affect you?

Gillo: beyond these six months, we don't even know how many boats we'll be able to build, when we'll be able to sail with the old boat - if it will be possible - and how many cards we'll have. The cards are for example the foils, which in the last AC could have been a maximum of six. We don't know how many we'll be able to build in the next one, as soon as we have the rules we can start.

Q: Max, is there anything that despite any rules you will use again in the next edition? For example the double helmsman?

Max: I don't know, the double helmsman configuration is something that was born very early in our campaign. We considered it essential for the aerodynamics, to reduce windage. It depends on what the Rule will say, maybe we will only have a central helmsman. Historically, whoever is best at interpreting the Rule wins. The fastest boat always wins. In 7 editions in which I have participated I have never seen a team winning only thanks to the sailing team. The crew is fundamental in the development stage, but when you are racing.... maybe you can make a better start with better sailors, but in the end the fastest boat always wins. Winning the Cup is possible, it can be done, you have to be perfect and make one less mistake than the others.

Some Q & A from the public.

Q: what about the backstays ? Did they affect performance a lot?

Max : Sailing without backstays was a huge speed advantage. Unfortunately, we didn't have many allies and support in NZ. We have spent many hours, if not weeks, in legal battles.

Q: do you have any regrets?

Max : yeah, we could have won at least two more races. I have to say that we raced almost perfectly. Of course, with two more points we would have put more pressure on them. If we had done AC with only B1s we would have won 7-0 against everyone else. We tried the T-foils, on the "quick and dirty", maybe we could have made different choices. We had all the options. We have chosen the right path in many respects. We had prioritized maneuverability, which both against Ineos and NZ paid off, but in the end ETNZ was superior. They were better, because they won, end of story.

Q: are you already working on the AC40 youth and women crews?

Max: Yes, we are working at it, but we haven't called anyone yet, since we don't know the age restrictions. We also don't know the deck configuration of the AC40s, we don't know how many sailors will fit in it. This is a very beautiful thing, I like it. LR is a long-term project, it will be an opportunity to create new generations of sailors. I believe that Italy is the country with the best female sailors, I think they can get some satisfactions. Many have already written to me, it is the first time that so many women have written to me (joke). We have to just wait and see, Kiwis are really good at saying without revealing anything, chapeau.

Q: what about the LR young generation ?

Gillo: some teams preferred to specialize a lot the athletic part of the crew, delegating the more technical roles to the afterguard, while we followed LR's philosophy, which was the same as when I joined the team. In 2000 I was one of the "young generation", I came from other sports and from the university. The first thing they made me do was get in with the chief engineer of hydraulics to clean things up. From there you start learning. This union between the athletic and the technical part is fundamental because the engineers can see numbers, even at sea, but only the sailor has the feeling for what is happening. Numbers doesn't show all, you need the feeling of the sailor to read the numebers properly. When I go back onshore I can call Gianni Cariboni and tell him that a tube must be made differently, or it must be modified, I give feedback based on experience. Each of the young guys specialized in a sector of the boat. The idea is that they not only give you athletic support, but hey help in the development of the boat too.

Q: Bacci del Buono doesn't ask a question, but he wants an applause for the LR Team (and he gets a huge one).

Q: You were unsure whether to make another Cup towards the end of this last edition. What made you change your mind?

Max: that we didn't win it. And I feel I owe it to Bertelli, for the great opportunity he has given me. And I must add, even for myself. I want to win it with LR.

Q: What would you take from the other boats?

Horacio : The aerodynamics of Te Rehutai. Anyway, I'm confident that we have both the people and the means to develop this sector a lot, perhaps the only one we were a little behind on. We are already active right now to improve ourselves.

Q: When the Kiwis were in front they didn't struggle. to stay there. When you were ahead you had to do a perfect race to stay ahead. Was it really so?

Max: Yes, it was exactly like that. It was like trying to drown a fish in the water. Our only chance was to score as many points as possible at the beginning, and hope for a psychological breakdown for them. We had to race at 100%, while they could make mistakes without paying the consequences. Especially because they had to learn how to sail their boat at best. At first they tried to copy us, with our high-mode, but they saw that it wasn't working. Then they figured out how to make their boat perform at its best. The Cup is like that, beautiful and cruel.

• Like 7
On 9/22/2021 at 5:35 AM, Zaal said:

Max Sirena, Gilberto Nobili and Horacio Carabelli at the Salone Nautico of Genoa. Here the translation, enjoy.

Q: What is the wind for you ?

Max : We have a special relationship with the wind, especially when you miss a wind shift and have a somewhat particular dialogue with the wind gods. Seriously, sailing is something that still excites me a lot, and I recommend everyone, regardless of age, to approach the world of sailing.

Q : How exciting was it to see a project on paper become reality?

Horacio: it was an incredible emotion, I represent a team of designers of 40 people and it was wonderful to see the concept of such an innovative boat born and then to see it win the Prada Cup and sail the AC against ETNZ

Q: Looking back, how do you judge the feat you have done?

Gillo: Obviously one remembers better the most exciting things. Sometimes the most exciting things are those that leave a bitter taste in your mouth, hence the Cup match. I remember that better than the Prada Cup, that we almost forgot to have won, although it was neither easy nor predictable.

Max is asked how his famous grandfather's cup joke came about, and he says it was a joke made to avoid a repetitive question that he had already answered many times, and so he did it.

Some pics appears on the screen: 

paper.png.503814544d32a211925998b7290fa539.png

Q: what was that piece of paper ?

(edit: on the paper is written :

- shore team super, the real winners

- 3 days of work, 23-24 sailing)

- dinner / 25 / 26 off - too long

- *ds after Christmas

- mast

- sails

- systems

- rudder )

Max : about every week we hold a team meeting, together with Gillo, Horacio and others of the team (edit: in previous interviews Max called it the core group) where we talk about the schedule, what we are doing and what we're going to do. Those are notes from one of those team meetings, which are very important. The team is made up of over 120 people who live 24/7 for the boat, and that of the team meeting is an exciting moment. I don't deny that several times I have been very moved in speaking, in the good moments but above all in the bad moments, as Gillo said before. The good moments you forget them immediately, often it is the negative things that remain impressed on you. The team meeting also serves to convey the philosophy and way of thinking that the team must have to achieve the objectives.

Q: what about the first point, the shore team?

Max : the shore team is "the" team. Often who appear in the newspaper are the sailors, or someone like me that represent the team, but what happens behind the scene is the real key to success. I did 7 AC campaigns, but this was the first one in which the shore team made the real difference. After the first regatta of the Christmas Cup, which was lost to ETNZ, the newspapers wrote that LR's was a failed campaign. Keeping morale high on the team was difficult. The shore team did an impressive job. We had a very detailed planning about the upgrades to the boat, and the shore team had to work 24/7, divided into groups that worked 6/8 hour shifts to do not only routine maintenance but also to realize what 40 designers - together with the sailors - thought during the night to make the boat faster. The paper was right after the Christmas Cup, everyone expected some days off, but I'm a bit allergic to days off, and in fact I wrote "too long".

Q : Is it true that you basically did not have days off, since in AC time is the most important thing?

Horacio: absolutely yes. The boat is very complex and cannot be changed every day during the regattas, but only in certain time slots provided for by the Protocol. 25 and 26 off wasn't for us or the shore team, that's for sure.

lunch_box_.thumb.png.bf7a17d8e9881d38aac814806206fe85.png

Q: what was that ? How it is eating at 40 knots ?

Gillo : This is Jimmy's lunch box, who often - like everyone else - ate on board. It is very important to maximize sailing times, sometimes someone from the shore team has to come onboard to refine something, then when you can start again maybe the wind has changed and you have to change the jib or the mainsail. Unlike other sports in which you can plan when you train, when you eat and when you rest, on the boat this is not possible, you eat as soon as you have a moment of break, but it is not certain that one will be able to finish lunch before leaving again.

shed.thumb.png.c674d33f0b2303b159d3376a28a3872c.png

Q: what was happening at that moment, why were you there? One would expect to see a head designer in the office.

Horacio: the pic is by Carlo Borlenghi, that's B1. It took about 70,000 hours of design and another 70,000 hours of construction to launch the first boat. On a team level, it is very important to show that you are there, to be present, alongside people who are giving everything for the boat. The photo was taken in the Persico shipyards, we were packing the boat and we were slightly late. Persico, as well as Cariboni and many others, have given us enormous help.

610221793_qd.thumb.png.3e681908a9b7f2105f1ab7223380b636.png

Q : What was happening here ?

Max: That was our "quick and dirty", our 7 and a half meter prototype. I wanted it quick and dirty but Horacio gave us a Stradivari. This is what happens when you splash down, going from 38 knots to maybe 4: the boat becomes a bathtub. These boats have a very low free board, and are not made to be in the water, but to fly over the water.

Q: Gillo, can you explain more about the work you've done seeking Italian excellences as suppliers? Is there a lot of Italy on Luna Rossa?

Gillo: there is a lot of Italy in all the America's Cup teams. LR is practically all Italian, the partnership with our suppliers is essential. LR's history is long, so we became friends with some of them. On these boats all the components must be at the highest level.

Q: Max, can you tell us more about these excellences?

Max : at the beginning of each campaign, the three of us travel around Italy by car, looking for Italian excellence. A nice thing about our work is that it allows you to get to know realities that are little known to the public. I discovered that an Italian company from the Marche sells compasses to the US Navy, that there are world leaders Italian companies in a lot of areas : a company in Val D 'Aosta in electric accumulators, in mechatronics, Persico in the sector of the composite, Cariboni in hydraulic systems, Gottifredi Maffioli, and also Harken, which is an American company but which develops its hardware in Italy.

Q: can you tell us about what you do with One Ocean Foundation?

Max : it's important that each of us do something to limit the consumption of plastic. If we all do something, the overall impact of these actions would be very great. We work in the sea, we can say that the sea is our office, and we've a fairly clear picture of what is happening, not so much in the Mediterranean as in the Oceans. We must always remember that we don't have a Plan B, since we don't have a Planet B. It takes years to change an industrial process, while we can immediately stop doing wrong behaviors such as throwing plastic on the beach, or throwing masks around on the street, or at sea. Sport is very useful in conveying this message.

Q: What is the most particular message you received during the AC?

Max : More than those received, I must say that I was a little bit upset not to receive any messages, no calls from the Government for what we have achieved.

Q : Gillo, where are the other team members? We have seen Checco sailing a lot, from the SailGp to the Moth world championship.

Gillo : after an AC cycle there is always a pause period, which is needed both on a personal level and because until you know the new Protocol you can't do a lot. However, a small group of LRs are still active even now.

Q: Yesterday ETNZ postponed the announcement about the location. Apparently Cork, Valencia, Barcelona, Jeddah or AKL remain. (edit : Gillo's face about Barcelona and Jeddah is epic, at 34:24). Which one would you prefer Max?

Max : we should do it in Genoa, it's such a beautiful city. On a more serious note, I don't really care about the location, I just need to know where and when it will be hold, and with which boats, so I can start organizing the campaign. AC is like that, whoever wins tries to get an advantage by hiding the venue and the Protocol for as long as possible, it's part of the game. It is actually one of the secrets of the AC, which makes it so interesting and difficult to win.

Q : Gillo, how much was ETNZ favored in the Match from playing at home and knowing the location perfectly?

Gillo: that's not the Defender's only advantage. Of course for sailors like Pete and Blair, who grew up in that gulf, it can be an advantage, but I would say that the biggest advantages for the Defender are others. I also participated in an AC as a Defender (edit: SF)) and I can say that you have about three months more timei n which you can look at the technical solutions of the other teams and maybe copy them. In addition, the logistical support. During Covid we had to move almost 300 people (team members and families) to NZ, build a new base. This are very distracting issues. In Valencia it was different, the teams had moved four years before the Cup, but in this edition this big relocation, with the launch of B2 that had just arrived,+ and the transport of the equipment were things that costed a lot in terms of money, time, and distraction.

Q : Horacio, how did you deal with the lockdown and what did you learn from that situation?

Horacio : it was a very difficult time. The ACWS of Cagliari and Portsmouth were milestones for us in terms of development, we were unable to see the solutions of the others compared to ours. We studied the other boats a lot and tried to do everything possible on ours, what was possible while respecting the safety distances. We were very anxious about the construction of B2, Persico is in Bergamo, one of the areas most affected by Covid. For a moment we even thought that we would not have a B2, and that we would continue with the 1. Our B1 was the best compared to those of the other teams, but we were still very anxious, it was a very difficult period.

Max : I'm actually happy, being COR is a big distraction. I'm happy for them, maybe they don't know what it's like to be COR. They will have some information before us, but I don't see it as a big deal

Q : So are you actually releaved ?

Max : Yes, because the AC is not the Olympics, where you have certain dates, a schedule, and everyone uses the same boats. AC is a different game, a sporting but above all technological competition, it's all about finding new solutions, new systems, new construction processes, it's all about creating a new technology. It takes a long time to build these things, and you have a limited number of attempts at your disposal. If on top of that you have also to argue with the Defender about rules, how to write the rules, and in the end they don't even respect what was agreed upon, it's definitely better to don't have this things to worry about and just wait for the Protocol (if they'll ever make one). In Cagliare there are already 34 designers working so LR can be ready to start.

Q : Gillo, you were talking about information earlier. Regarding the location, if you change hemisphere you also change the period, consequently you may have more or less months to organize this campaign. How does this affect you?

Gillo: beyond these six months, we don't even know how many boats we'll be able to build, when we'll be able to sail with the old boat - if it will be possible - and how many cards we'll have. The cards are for example the foils, which in the last AC could have been a maximum of six. We don't know how many we'll be able to build in the next one, as soon as we have the rules we can start.

Q: Max, is there anything that despite any rules you will use again in the next edition? For example the double helmsman?

Max: I don't know, the double helmsman configuration is something that was born very early in our campaign. We considered it essential for the aerodynamics, to reduce windage. It depends on what the Rule will say, maybe we will only have a central helmsman. Historically, whoever is best at interpreting the Rule wins. The fastest boat always wins. In 7 editions in which I have participated I have never seen a team winning only thanks to the sailing team. The crew is fundamental in the development stage, but when you are racing.... maybe you can make a better start with better sailors, but in the end the fastest boat always wins. Winning the Cup is possible, it can be done, you have to be perfect and make one less mistake than the others.

Some Q & A from the public.

Q: what about the backstays ? Did they affect performance a lot?

Max : Sailing without backstays was a huge speed advantage. Unfortunately, we didn't have many allies and support in NZ. We have spent many hours, if not weeks, in legal battles.

Q: do you have any regrets?

Max : yeah, we could have won at least two more races. I have to say that we raced almost perfectly. Of course, with two more points we would have put more pressure on them. If we had done AC with only B1s we would have won 7-0 against everyone else. We tried the T-foils, on the "quick and dirty", maybe we could have made different choices. We had all the options. We have chosen the right path in many respects. We had prioritized maneuverability, which both against Ineos and NZ paid off, but in the end ETNZ was superior. They were better, because they won, end of story.

Q: are you already working on the AC40 youth and women crews?

Max: Yes, we are working at it, but we haven't called anyone yet, since we don't know the age restrictions. We also don't know the deck configuration of the AC40s, we don't know how many sailors will fit in it. This is a very beautiful thing, I like it. LR is a long-term project, it will be an opportunity to create new generations of sailors. I believe that Italy is the country with the best female sailors, I think they can get some satisfactions. Many have already written to me, it is the first time that so many women have written to me (joke). We have to just wait and see, Kiwis are really good at saying without revealing anything, chapeau.

Q: what about the LR young generation ?

Gillo: some teams preferred to specialize a lot the athletic part of the crew, delegating the more technical roles to the afterguard, while we followed LR's philosophy, which was the same as when I joined the team. In 2000 I was one of the "young generation", I came from other sports and from the university. The first thing they made me do was get in with the chief engineer of hydraulics to clean things up. From there you start learning. This union between the athletic and the technical part is fundamental because the engineers can see numbers, even at sea, but only the sailor has the feeling for what is happening. Numbers doesn't show all, you need the feeling of the sailor to read the numebers properly. When I go back onshore I can call Gianni Cariboni and tell him that a tube must be made differently, or it must be modified, I give feedback based on experience. Each of the young guys specialized in a sector of the boat. The idea is that they not only give you athletic support, but hey help in the development of the boat too.

Q: Bacci del Buono doesn't ask a question, but he wants an applause for the LR Team (and he gets a huge one).

Q: You were unsure whether to make another Cup towards the end of this last edition. What made you change your mind?

Max: that we didn't win it. And I feel I owe it to Bertelli, for the great opportunity he has given me. And I must add, even for myself. I want to win it with LR.

Q: What would you take from the other boats?

Horacio : The aerodynamics of Te Rehutai. Anyway, I'm confident that we have both the people and the means to develop this sector a lot, perhaps the only one we were a little behind on. We are already active right now to improve ourselves.

Q: When the Kiwis were in front they didn't struggle. to stay there. When you were ahead you had to do a perfect race to stay ahead. Was it really so?

Max: Yes, it was exactly like that. It was like trying to drown a fish in the water. Our only chance was to score as many points as possible at the beginning, and hope for a psychological breakdown for them. We had to race at 100%, while they could make mistakes without paying the consequences. Especially because they had to learn how to sail their boat at best. At first they tried to copy us, with our high-mode, but they saw that it wasn't working. Then they figured out how to make their boat perform at its best. The Cup is like that, beautiful and cruel.

Thanks for the translation, Zaal.

I always believed that being, COR was a poisoned chalice.

Max : I'm actually happy, being COR is a big distraction. I'm happy for them, maybe they don't know what it's like to be COR. They will have some information before us, but I don't see it as a big deal".

Has the AC ever been won by a, CoR?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Agree, but during even the 'off-season'? Not convinced it is typical.

They are fully-funded, and probably knew who they were going to hire.They probably have developed a good understanding of where they fell short on the design front last time, even though they do not know the details of the updated rule.

Maybe much of the design team is just on retainer at this point. If they are happy with most of their design team from last time, they may want to nail them down early.

They have the money to do that.

It’s not clear what us “typical” for Antoine right now.

Whats that saying? The one thing you can't buy in the Americas Cup is time? Seems if you have the money the design team is what you want to be funding right now, improving your simulator and cfd processes to jump start when you get the protocol

• Like 1
14 hours ago, accnick said:

They are fully-funded, and probably knew who they were going to hire.They probably have developed a good understanding of where they fell short on the design front last time, even though they do not know the details of the updated rule.

Maybe much of the design team is just on retainer at this point. If they are happy with most of their design team from last time, they may want to nail them down early.

They have the money to do that.

It’s not clear what us “typical” for Antoine right now.

Edit: “anyone”, not “Antoine.”

• 3 weeks later...

May as well put this in the LR thread.

A public salute to Xlot for a wonderful two hour lunch deep in Trastevere today.

We began with a fun AC conversation but once the ladies realized how smart and charming he is, he got engaged from three different attention-wanting directions and handled it all very smoothly and with good humor. 

Ciao and Grazie mille!

• Like 5

Some other fun in Italia, this was last night. After seeing him play Comfortably Numb in front of a restaurant I invited the guy to play on our balcony, it was brilliant. He was super cool to my family and despite he and my dear opera-loving mother being complete opposites she damn near fell in love! :) 

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some posters and to a degree dalts recently like to make hay about the Italians as COR and challengers being difficult. All the more strange to hear now as it should be water under the bridge.

Curious what Italian observers think of this.

One way I can see it is PB in particular just being extremely rigid and sticking stubbornly to what he thinks his principles are. Not hard to imagine based on my interactions with Italian ppl, and I don't fault him from what I see.

The new protocol and recent events seem to implicitly reinforce this view a bit, ETNZ's principles seem very fluid depending on their self interest at times. 

So far I haven't seen anything specific wrt what really broke down there and why, in the relationship between teams.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, buckdouger said:

So far I haven't seen anything specific wrt what really broke down there and why, in the relationship between teams.

It was a slippery slope of general disagreements over things like which ACWS events got cancelled, wind limits, who paid for the prada cup, who got to run media, why didn't they invite Ben Ainsley to a presso, why did they hire the anti-christ I mean Brad Butterworth... etc...

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

It was a slippery slope of general disagreements over things like which ACWS events got cancelled, wind limits, who paid for the prada cup, who got to run media, why didn't they invite Ben Ainsley to a presso, why did they hire the anti-christ I mean Brad Butterworth... etc...

.. and issues with the design of the Prada Base, and with them wanting to race even when spectators were prevented from being on the water for some days (C19) ..

If Ineos do not become Event Sponsor then things may be easier this time around.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

@buckdouger

Yeah, I thought GD was unnecessarily rude to the Italians in that presser for the protocol. It takes 2 to fall out, so if they fell out with them by this stage last time then they surely are at least partially to blame

But then you had Ainslie say while at times they had concerns, the relationship was very respectful. Now, that may change, but right now, if Dalts can be on good terms with the current CoR, what was the issue with the previous one? 
Sounds more like LR were focused on winning at any cost. They knew (or thought they knew) what they wanted, they laid their terms on the table, and those terms weren’t flexible. Which is fair enough, as any CoRs goal should be to win. If that means sacrificing relationships, then so be it. 

45 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Thanks, seems like pretty small issues for a bunch of adults but I guess the tone can contribute too. 

11 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

Thanks, seems like pretty small issues for a bunch of adults but I guess the tone can contribute too. 

Your mistake is assuming there were adults involved.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Your mistake is assuming there were adults involved.

The AC has always been about individuals wanting to get their own way, has it not?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Yeah, I thought GD was unnecessarily rude to the Italians in that presser for the protocol. It takes 2 to fall out, so if they fell out with them by this stage last time then they surely are at least partially to blame

If I've read between the lines correctly, ETNZ made a deal with LR when they were helped by the Italians during AC35. Part of this deal included the "If-you-win-AC36-must-be-monos" clause. ETNZ then produced a foiling mono which was not what LR meant and things would have gone down hill from there

1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

Individuals wanting to get their own way is not my definition of adulthood :)

Mine too. I did not say I condoned the behaviour. 

27 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

WTF this article was published in February!! NINE months ago.

So, presumably things have gotten a little better, since - even though the Italians were on the losing end. ;-)

But I'll tell you one thing - now that they're not drinking from the CoR poisoned chalice, they are going to formidable this time around.

4 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

So, presumably things have gotten a little better, since - even though the Italians were on the losing end. ;-)

But I'll tell you one thing - now that they're not drinking from the CoR poisoned chalice, they are going to formidable this time around.

KsfB is full of sh*t again (and still on ignore), the article was in response to questions above about GD's pointed comments (attacks?) about the COR/D relationship last time. Perfectly relevant.

After winning the CSS (that they were supposed to be in charge of..) Prada did take ETNZ to 3-3 in the Match, not bad!

Yes, let's hope all Challs get a decent shot this time. With only one new build allowed (when is the last time that happened??) and IMO very-strict constraints on foils (the only supposedly big development area this time) and the lead-time that ETNZ already bought themselves again... Well, here's hoping for a good competition regardless.

The teams have been remarkably quiet, it's almost like this Prot landed like a dud?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

KsfB is full of sh*t again (and still on ignore), the article was in response to questions above about GD's pointed comments (attacks?) about the COR/D relationship last time. Perfectly relevant.

After winning the CSS (that they were supposed to be in charge of..) Prada did take ETNZ to 3-3 in the Match, not bad!

Yes, let's hope all Challs get a decent shot this time. With only one new build allowed (when is the last time that happened??) and IMO very-strict constraints on foils (the only supposedly big development area this time) and the lead-time that ETNZ already bought themselves again... Well, here's hoping for a good competition regardless.

The teams have been remarkably quiet, it's almost like this Prot landed like a dud?

Not too much to bitch about, maybe?

13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Not too much to bitch about, maybe?

That's possible, yes. AM did post something brief on FB about how they will studying the Prot before 'choosing our path forward' - hopefully the word forward is encouraging. Aside from that, only the few comments by Bruni so far. It is a touch unusual..

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

LOL, in Bermuda you also had only one Boat. Get a life you snark!