The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

4 minutes ago, kiwin said:

But there is no detail. I am waiting until we actually know what is proposed. We know very little at this point.

Ok good. Move on until we know more.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

Wow, 13 pages, a frenzy of outraged indignation over something that hasn't even been decided yet? This must set some new kind of SA record??! (... probably not )

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

Copy that.

Not trying to brow beat your, so sorry if it comes across that way.

It's just that the distinction is important to understand people like me are so unimpressed with current shenanigans.

Also it's always good to understand a bit of the detail.

7 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

This is SA, we don't understand your point.

Precisely.

On a completely unrelated note, I saw big foot walking down our main street yesterday.

Written by adults instead of NZ Herald 12 year olds

"There is also a full nationality waiver clause for a percentage to be established for teams of "emerging nationalities", as China is thought."

https://www.lastampa.it/mare/2021/03/19/news/il-patto-di-imagine-cosi-nasce-la-nuova-america-s-cup-1.40046144?fbclid=IwAR3NGeW2yBrbkAqYxajUppFp6OZKMxqSFPNinHnk3O5_msbl3KEb_2WbkJY

30 minutes ago, jaysper said:
33 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

You got it, mate!

Some of us have been saying essentially that barely 24 hours after the acceptance of the challenge was announced.  

Look at the situation in that light and it is a win-win for Ratcliffe and Dalton. The Britt gets his Cup match in Cowes next year (number of races still to be decided), then four years from now they meet again in Auckland with CSS to welcome all legit comers. None of that precluded by DoG conditions and just to be sure, six to eight months to iron out any legal tangles that threaten to interfere.

Brits and Kiwis get to compete in two challenges in four or five years and we get to watch.   Other Cup hopefuls still get to take part in normal CSS timeframe.

Expand  

But this is still sewing up the AC for 2 cycles, when you have only won it once.

But this is still sewing up the AC for 2 cycles, when you have only won it once.

Quite so.  Brilliant ain't it!  Nothing in the DoG to say it is prohibited

All covered by Mutual Consent.  Those who disagree can round up their legal talent, pile up their money bags and hie themselves off to 60 Centre St in Lower Manhattan and tear their hair out before the Supremes.

it will likely drag on for years and piss off a lot of hopeful challengers waiting in the wings, but there you are!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mako23 said:

Due to reduced sponsorship opportunities for ETNZ due to Covid, the NZ government should make a one off payment of 60 million to ETNZ.

Normally ETNZ should get its own funding, but it’s a unique situation at the moment. 

Problem is, ETNZ always finds themselves in the "unique situation" of having spent all their money when the cup is over, having no prospects of getting any sponsorship funding for months or years, and turning hat in hand to the government for bridge money to secure key personnel.

Pretty sure they've done it every cup cycle since 2003.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, kiwin said:

The cost for all the toxic waste remediation was definitely included, even if it has not yet been done. It's possible they ran out of time after taking so long to decide what to do in the first place.

Interesting.  If that is correct there are tens of millions of dollars earmarked in future council budget for remediation work.

5 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Interesting.  If that is correct there are tens of millions of dollars earmarked in future council budget for remediation work.

They'll spend it all on cycle ways and rainbow street crossings.

Ok, I checked some things...

When Alinghi Won in 2003 and introduced the Louis Vuitton Acts in 2004 they were-non-binding meaning if you had your Challenge accepted you could choose to attend or not attend the Events in Marseille and Valencia. Luna Rossa Challenge & +39 Challenge did not attend the first Louis Vuitton Act in Marseille but raced in Acts 2 & 3 in Valencia a month or so later. The Louis Vuitton Acts did then became binding to race in the Louis Vuitton Cup for years in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Could we have a similar scenario on the Cards now with ETNZ & INEOS. There might be a World Series in Portsmouth for the Kiwis, Brits, Italians and Americans in 2022 and then in 2023 they become binding for all Teams including new ones.

One thing is for sure: There will be an Event in Portsmouth with the RYS being the Challenger of Record. Ratcliffe will not pass this by. Methinks it will be a World Series Event involving ETNZ, INEOS, LRPP and potentially AM (if the Americans challenge again)

24 minutes ago, idontwan2know said:

Yep, and I for one am sick of Dalton playing the same old tricks at the end of each cup cycle.

• Like 6

I don't quite understand why ya'll Kiwis hit the panic stations because Dalton might move the Cup out of New Zealand.

You can be assured that Grant will use the "Round the Island Race" as a last resort when all other negotiations with the NZ Government have failed.

We will have a clearer Picture in June methinks. Right know everything on the Venue is just pure speculation.

Meanwhile enjoy SailGP with Jimmy, Ben, Nathan, Tommy and Pete + The Ocean Race Europe if you are an Offshore Sailing Lover.

14 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yep, and I for one am sick of Dalton playing the same old tricks at the end of each cup cycle.

Yep and I bet Dalton is pretty sick of having to play those same old tricks each time too. 

5 minutes ago, amc said:

Yep and I bet Dalton is pretty sick of having to play those same old tricks each time too. 

Well he can always stop.

6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I don't quite understand why ya'll Kiwis hit the panic stations because Dalton might move the Cup out of New Zealand.

You can be assured that Grant will use the "Round the Island Race" as a last resort when all other negotiations with the NZ Government have failed.

We will have a clearer Picture in June methinks. Right know everything on the Venue is just pure speculation.

Meanwhile enjoy SailGP with Jimmy, Ben, Nathan, Tommy and Pete + The Ocean Race Europe if you are an Offshore Sailing Lover.

I'm not particularly upset about that. It's the attempt to set the class of boat for the next two cup cycles that has me pissed off.

5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I'm not particularly upset about that. It's the attempt to set the class of boat for the next two cup cycles that has me pissed off.

Sure, it's not pretty but it has some Pro and Cons to it. Pro = We need continuity with the Boat Class. If we go with a new Class yet again after two Cycles (AC36 & AC37) Participation will decline again. Con = It might get litigated.

4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Sure, it's not pretty but it has some Pro and Cons to it. Pro = We need continuity with the Boat Class. If we go with a new Class yet again after two Cycles (AC36 & AC37) Participation will decline again. Con = It might get litigated.

Let's be clear, it's a move worthy of Bertarelli or Ellison.

To not call this out after putting shit on this two would make me a hypocrite.

If ETNZ want to ensure continuity, they should try to win the thing not this shady shit.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, amc said:

Well if he was any good at raising money he wouldn't need to. :ph34r:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Any idea of who might do a better job. 

19 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I agree. I really don't think the Cup is going anywhere. It simply gives Dalton leverage for negotiations for the next cycle. 

I think Team NZ both, want to hold the Cup in NZ, and are, or will be in a position to do so without Government assistance, which gives Team NZ leverage when it comes to negotiating Hosting fees with the Government. I think the Government offered $5 million as an investment. An investment in tourism, an investment in the Marine Industry and an investment in innovation and excellence. No doubt the Government also has leverage in existing, purpose built infrastructure, with an eye to extending that infrastructure for the next Defence. 

I personally don't think Daltons plays the same "trick" every Cup. I think its the reality of a Cup campaign. As Grant Simmer said "if you manage your campaign correctly, you run out of money the same time as you run out of time. I think the budget is spent by the end of every cup cycle. Thats just the way it is with the Americas Cup. Starting again isn't easy when the budget is exhausted. Every Cup cycle, ETNZ has had to sell themselves again, and again to sponsors, to advertisers, and to the Government. All options must be open when negotiating for hosting rights, including taking the event overseas.

9 minutes ago, Gissie said:

He is, but if you lose the Cup and don't exhaust your budget, questions are naturally going to be asked about why the resources you had available weren't used.

1 hour ago, idontwan2know said:

Problem is, ETNZ always finds themselves in the "unique situation" of having spent all their money when the cup is over, having no prospects of getting any sponsorship funding for months or years, and turning hat in hand to the government for bridge money to secure key personnel.

Yep and unlikely to change

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

He is, but if you lose the Cup and don't exhaust your budget, questions are naturally going to be asked about why the resources you had available weren't used.

This is a very different/difficult Situation for all involved because of the COVID Pandemic. Will Emirates try to sponsor Team New Zealand for AC37? I have my doubts given that Dalts is so desperately looking for cash since they won the Cup.

It's going to be harder for Dalton to poach the Government for more money because of the Pandemic and the whistleblower stuff that came out last June. Looks like to me the Government still want some answers from him that he hasn't given them.

12 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I agree. I really don't think the Cup is going anywhere. It simply gives Dalton leverage for negotiations for the next cycle. 

I think Team NZ both, want to hold the Cup in NZ, and are, or will be in a position to do so without Government assistance, which gives Team NZ leverage when it comes to negotiating Hosting fees with the Government. I think the Government offered $5 million as an investment. An investment in tourism, an investment in the Marine Industry and an investment in innovation and excellence. No doubt the Government also has leverage in existing, purpose built infrastructure, with an eye to extending that infrastructure for the next Defence. 

I personally don't think Daltons plays the same "trick" every Cup. I think its the reality of a Cup campaign. As Grant Simmer said "if you manage your campaign correctly, you run out of money the same time as you run out of time. I think the budget is spent by the end of every cup cycle. Thats just the way it is with the Americas Cup. Starting again isn't easy when the budget is exhausted. Every Cup cycle, ETNZ has had to sell themselves again, and again to sponsors, to advertisers, and to the Government. All options must be open when negotiating for hosting rights, including taking the event overseas.

Cup Indsider says Dalton wants 50M$, not 5M. That person described the 5M as a little "Drop in the Bucket" to quote that person compared what Ratcliffe would offer him. Ratcliffe can fill ETNZ Financial Coffers basically all by himself if he wants to + fund potentially the CSS. That's a huge bargaining chip.

2 hours ago, kiwin said:

My understanding is that much of the ground under the tanks was full of toxic waste and so that had to be remediated at a high cost. That cost was most definitely included.

The works done by the council were not what ETNZ, or the marine community wanted. The plan from ETNZ would have cost slightly more but resulted in 50 % more retained infrastructure in the form of Super yacht facilities, of which Auckland is very short. Instead the council sought to load up cost for which they were liable onto the America's Cup bill, despite a lesser return. There was also a threat of legal action against the council by some very wealthy property developers if they didn't get their own way which definitely influenced the council. In short the council discharged some of their cost & billed it to the America's Cup, despite that diminishing the infrastructure return, and also avoided action from some wealthy bully boys.

No toxic waste apart from the dredgings from the seabed for the AC bases was trucked from the Western Reclamation.

The decontamination has been put off until a future date as any remediation didn’t suit the AC timetable.

Photo of the Viaduct and Western Reclamation with the harbour bridge build in progress.

EB2737FB-C91B-45E0-9C67-147526871CFA.jpeg.f3e44a062f842518116385a99014bb38.jpeg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

49ers in the roaring forties off the Auckland Islands. 

P-class, Wellington to Picton.

2 hours ago, jaysper said:

Not trying to brow beat your, so sorry if it comes across that way.

It's just that the distinction is important to understand people like me are so unimpressed with current shenanigans.

Also it's always good to understand a bit of the detail.

No, all good.

15 minutes ago, Nutta said:

P-class, Wellington to Picton.

Phillippa has been there and done that (almost).

"For someone who had just set a record by sailing the notorious Cook Strait in a 2.3m dinghy, 14-year-old Hope schoolgirl Phillippa Wood was pretty blase Monday morning.

She said the 5 1/2 crossing from the outer Marlborough Sounds took as long as she had expected but was "quite hard towards the end". "I'm a bit tired still."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/490755/Small-boat-conquers-Cook-Strait

One to watch for the future.

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

Phillippa has been there and done that (almost).

"For someone who had just set a record by sailing the notorious Cook Strait in a 2.3m dinghy, 14-year-old Hope schoolgirl Phillippa Wood was pretty blase Monday morning.

She said the 5 1/2 crossing from the outer Marlborough Sounds took as long as she had expected but was "quite hard towards the end". "I'm a bit tired still."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/490755/Small-boat-conquers-Cook-Strait

One to watch for the future.

Cool, we've found our Skipper for AC37... Should sort out the "gender balance" for the perpetually offended.

1 hour ago, amc said:
1 hour ago, Gissie said:

Any idea of who might do a better job. 

Sir James springs to mind :ph34r:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, strider470 said:

If there will be this 1 - 1 match, and I'll have to chose my favourite team... I will root for the Isle of Wight instead :D

That's good, as the Isle of Wight quite often wins.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Oh good, it isn't just us then. Someone else has sniffed the turd.

10 hours ago, Dolphin65 said:

while BA and his "Rat" friend will have a glorious moment to let the Brits smell the mug after 170 years. 

I'm afraid your metaphor doesn't quite work. It's been in the UK in fairly recent times, twice I believe. After a Maori protester remodelled it with a sledgehammer, it was repaired in London. Also IIRC it was in Cowes for the 1851 Cup, held off Cowes in 2010. 

6 hours ago, Sailbydate said:
6 hours ago, sfigone said:

I think it is a too much to say that it was only bad luck that LR lost....  However,  it was at least plausible that LR could have won it, albeit with a bit of luck.

After the first 3 days, it was 3-3,  but I think with the conditions and race track, if LR had one a few more starts it could easily have been 5-1 (yes that goes both ways).  Then of the racing after that, LR was in with a good chance of winning at least 2 of the races it lost, with just split second decisions making the difference.

Moreover, if COVID had not delayed the start, then TR may have been even less sharp at the start of the regatta.

So while ultimately it was probably a comfortable win, it was probably a lot closer that NZ had expected and they had at least a little bit of a concern.

They didn't win it with luck, but with a touch of bad luck NZ could have lost it.

Expand  

Yeah. That's a bit more like the regatta I was watching. ;-)

And to be completely honest, if it is true that LR hasn't been exremely lucky in more than a couple of crucial moments during racing, it is also true that ETNZ were really unlucky to have never had the chance of racing in their preferred wind range.

7 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

Interesting, as I suspect Commodore Christopher J Culver of the New York Yacht Club is in effect confirming this is a serious possibility, not just a random rumour on SAAC. 

Repeating the link previously posted https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-new-york-yacht-club-commodore-slams-talk-of-one-off-americas-cup-match-between-team-new-zealand-and-ineos-team-uk/TD7SMUSX7Q5AACSJ2P7XICD4KM/

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

And to be completely honest, if it is true that LR hasn't been exremely lucky in more than a couple of crucial moments during racing, it is also true that ETNZ were really unlucky to have never had the chance of racing in their preferred wind range.

Generous as always, Strider. ;-)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It is absolutely "Inconceivable" to hold a Challenger Selection Series next year unless you want the same Teams who competed in Auckland. New Teams would have no chance making it.

The Protocol for AC37 probably gets published between September and November this year. Then you have to have a proper Entry Period which usually lasts 6 months, say from 1st January 2022 until June 30th 2022. After that any new Teams would need to built their Boat which takes about 7-8 months. The earliest they could have a CSS is in 2023.

I was thinking of something different. Immagine if ETNZ prepare (and sell for big money) a standard package for new teams in order to compete in 1 year. Something like updating or replicating some B1, selling them ready to race. New teams could have a huge interest. They can use the 2022 AC37 AC as a boost to ther AC38 campaign. More or less what LR did in AC 34, when they bought the package from NZ. Of course with the standard package it will almost impossible to win AC37, but they will have a relly good chance for the AC38.

16 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

Well, certainly they are disappointed, but so what? Nothing they can do about it.

Unless they're thinking about challenging the AC75 agreement, entry requirement for AC37 and AC38.

Is this what they are alluding to here: "...to potentially once again plunge the competition into the New York State Courts, is not in the best interests of the America's Cup or the sport of sailing."

2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Well, certainly they are disappointed, but so what? Nothing they can do about it.

Unless they're thinking about challenging the AC75 agreement, entry requirement for AC37 and AC38.

Is this what they are alluding to here: "...to potentially once again plunge the competition into the New York State Courts, is not in the best interests of the America's Cup or the sport of sailing."

yes

5 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Yup an exhibition match really gives little to the Frackers in return for the associated costs.

How they could make significant improvements to the Royal barge to make it competitive against Te Rehutai

would be of real concern within 12 months for a AC one on one.

Maybe they will buy ETNZ B1 ;)

5 hours ago, jaysper said:

So is the rhythm method.

Catholics have a name for women who use the rhythm method: "mother".

That's a method that has been handed down from father to son for generations! :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mako23 said:

Please. The same club that wanted to go back to big, heavy keelboats... No thanks.

If they think the Challenger Series is going to be next year they're dumb as a box of rocks.

The Protocol won't be released until November.

Why do people go so batshit immediately after a Cup cycle finishes? Its like the fucking sky is falling!

3 hours ago, jaysper said:

Oh fuck off you prissy bitch. 
you know how the funding works. Every cup cycle is an end of contract cycle. Same for employees, sponsors, suppliers. 
if your sick of it, go support someone else. 

• Like 2

Anything to stop Any of the AC36 teams going back out and testing currently? 
other than money...

are they forbidden from sailing/developing before the full rule is announced? 
or can all the facilities off limits, tank, model testing, more foil shapes but thrown open? 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

other than money...

or can all the facilities off limits, tank, model testing, more foil shapes but thrown open? 

Good question. I could imagine a well funded Ineos team trying to squeeze in testing that wasn't allowed between "cycles"...

8 minutes ago, JJD said:

Oh fuck off you prissy bitch. 
you know how the funding works. Every cup cycle is an end of contract cycle. Same for employees, sponsors, suppliers. 
if your sick of it, go support someone else. 

Dumb

Fucking

Model

5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

other than money...

I don't think there is.

4 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Good question. I could imagine a well funded Ineos team trying to squeeze in testing that wasn't allowed between "cycles"...

All teams with permanent bases instead of container tents  - would be silly not to.

1 minute ago, chesirecat said:

Or any of the teams, especially those with permanent bases instead of container tents.

They all have permanent bases in their respective countries. 

do they all have the pennies to keep the meter running though or the backing, AM least stable I would think. 

Grant will get the money if he needs it, INEOS and Prada sponsor themselves, AM dependent of the will of rich old folks  

9 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Could be a busy 8 months in Portsmouth then..

When Ineos finished their last race JR was on the boat giving commiserations, but also explaining where things had done wrong and  his vision for the future. 

I dont think he will muck about, this has been pre planned and they will be straight into it. The class rules wont be changing much and he knows every week will count plus whats his name at Merc has his ear about the long term game.

17 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Judging by recent revelations from ETNZ about their simulator, AI and Bot developments, ITUK would be better off re-building their software development, no?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Judging by recent revelations from ETNZ about their simulator, AI and Bot developments, ITUK would be better off re-building their software development, no?

Probably still  ongoing. They have massive computing power and might have caught up a bit. LR spent over 55 million euros on software so they might well have some good stuff. There will be masses of data teams will still be going through. Rig control - foils - control systems and laying down initial concepts for B3's so as Jazmart said - busy times at Portsmouth for the next 8 months

• Like 2
8 hours ago, hoom said:

It absolutely was an outrageous breach. (AC55 btw)

I wonder if GD was an only child?

Because those of us who were from a multi-child family of limited means know that fucking off your parents by being a churlish little cunt throwing your toys out of the cot every time you don't immediately get what you want doesn't get you what you want.

It gets you sent to bed early/grounded/otherwise punished.

The Govt is the parents here.

No, he isn't. His behavior is typical for someone with siblings: me, me, me first. 

So much for layman's psychology. :P

AC 37 will be some sort of a farce: a cash cow for ETNZ and the only viable way to get guaranteed access to the Match for INEOS. If you can't win it, buy it. AC 38 will be won in the next 18 months of development, starting from now. Any team beginning development after AC37 and thinking to have a chance of winning will be doomed to lose helplessly. I hope the 1 - 1 match will be the ultimate cause of losing AC38 for both Ineos and ETNZ.
What I fear the most is that with this precedent in place, we are likely to have other 1 - 1 matches in the future, and this should concern many AC enthusiasts and especially ETNZ as a team, in my opinion...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

I'm afraid your metaphor doesn't quite work. It's been in the UK in fairly recent times, twice I believe. After a Maori protester remodelled it with a sledgehammer, it was repaired in London. Also IIRC it was in Cowes for the 1851 Cup, held off Cowes in 2010. 

I understand what you mean, but see it this way, the brits would be happy to see again a cup event on their waters, wouldn't they?

BTW, may ask, what kind of financial problems are affecting Dalton? I mean, how much money he needs to decently finance a campaign, and how much he could earn in 1-1 DoG challenge in Southampton? Can he really grab a 50M check from Ratcliffe just for a one-shot event?

10 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

I understand what you mean, but see it this way, the brits would be happy to see again a cup event on their waters, wouldn't they?

Personally, I'd be very pleased to see a demo event or ACWS. I think AC37 as a 1:1 cycle would suck but I'd not be outraged if it were not in Auckland. It isn't obvious to me where the bases would be for a multi-challenger event in the Solent, waterfront land is at a premium and a lot of brownfield sites have gone for housing. Sardinia is nice, I hear.

4 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Personally, I'd be very pleased to see a demo event or ACWS. I think AC37 as a 1:1 cycle would suck but I'd not be outraged if it were not in Auckland. It isn't obvious to me where the bases would be for a multi-challenger event in the Solent, waterfront land is at a premium and a lot of brownfield sites have gone for housing. Sardinia is nice, I hear.

Mate, the issue is not the location, but the DoG challenge! If a classic event would be run in Cowes, I'd be there every single day! (I guess many other euro-friends on this board would too!)

1 minute ago, Dolphin65 said:

Mate, the issue is not the location, but the DoG challenge! If a classic event would be run in Cowes, I'd be there every single day! (I guess many other euro-friends on this board would too!)

What is a classic event?

There is no DoG cha

2 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Mate, the issue is not the location, but the DoG challenge! 

There is no DoG challenge proposed. A 1:1 event with MC is not a DoG challenge.

I am not personally convinced that a multi-challenger event is feasible in the Solent. There are other places in the UK with waterfront space  e.g. Plymouth.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The Advocate said:

What is a classic event?

If it were the Americans against the British, in a race around the Isle of Wight, it would have been a rematch of a classic event. This is only a farce, and a cash cow for ETNZ.

In case of 1-1 event, I'd ask Max sirena (and Patrizio), to spend one year in New Zealand of DAILY racings against vs American Magic so that both teams can improve and experiment modifications on existing boats

Just now, Dolphin65 said:

In case of 1-1 event, I'd ask Max sirena (and Patrizio), to spend one year in New Zealand of DAILY racings against vs American Magic so that both teams can improve and experiment modifications on existing boats

Bertelli should hold a second edition of the Prada Cup, in Cagliari, with AM and Alinghi (using LR B1).

33 minutes ago, strider470 said:

AC 37 will be some sort of a farce: a cash cow for ETNZ and the only viable way to get guaranteed access to the Match for INEOS. If you can't win it, buy it. AC 38 will be won in the next 18 months of development, starting from now. Any team beginning development after AC37 and thinking to have a chance of winning will be doomed to lose helplessly. I hope the 1 - 1 match will be the ultimate cause of losing AC38 for both Ineos and ETNZ.
What I fear the most is that with this precedent in place, we are likely to have other 1 - 1 matches in the future, and this should concern many AC enthusiasts and especially ETNZ as a team, in my opinion...

Why didn’t Prada challenge then? 

That would be quite amusing. A few teams setting up camp in NZL training and developing, learning the conditions better and filling the fuck out of the NZL media whilst the 378's are off playing catch my checkbook.

• Like 1

Bertelli should hold a second edition of the Prada Cup, in Cagliari, with AM and Alinghi (using LR B1).

Strider, one event is not enough. If we want to bridge the gap with the kiwis we have to push hard both on practicing and making changes on existing boats, gaining as much as possible data which will be used to build the next boat for AC38

2 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

That would be quite amusing. A few teams setting up camp in NZL training and developing, learning the conditions better and filling the fuck out of the NZL media whilst the 378's are off playing catch my checkbook.

Cagliari would be a better choice. But the idea is interesting. :)

Strider, one event is not enough. If we want to bridge the gap with the kiwis we have to push hard both on practicing and making changes on existing boats, gaining as much as possible data which will be used to build the next boat for AC38

3 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

A few teams setting up camp in NZL training and developing, learning the conditions better and filling the fuck out of the NZL media whilst the 378's are off playing catch my checkbook.

and doing practice regattas!

• Like 1

So, in ETNZ's press release about AC37 and appointment of CoR, they signalled costcutting measures to be agreed between ETNZ/CoR.

"The Defender and the Challenger of Record, will be investigating and agreeing a meaningful package of campaign cost reduction measures including measures to attract a higher number of Challengers and to assist with the establishment of new teams. 

What do you suppose might be included in this 'package'?

1) Salary Caps?

2) More OD components?

3) CiC removal for legacy yachts?

4) Design packages and built yachts for sale (Ex ETNZ)?

4) Discounted fees and charges for 'emerging country' Challengers?

4) Discounted crew airfares from AC preferred airline (GD takes a cut though, Emirates :D)

5) Subsidised hookers and blow?

6) What?

• Like 1

Yes, but too many events stop the developement. They should use every possible resource until signing for AC38 protocol in 18 months

Cagliari would be a better choice. But the idea is interesting. :)

Only for us Italians. On an AC campaign perspective, it would make more sense to keep open the operations in Auckland, and kee running! 

Just now, Dolphin65 said:

Only for us Italians. On an AC campaign perspective, it would make more sense to keep open the operations in Auckland, and kee running! 

You are probably right. I was selfishly thinking about the possibility to go to Cagliari myself :D

• Like 1

Yes, but too many events stop the developement. They should use every possible resource until signing for AC38 protocol in 18 months

You don't want too many events. Get on the water every single day with the Americans and fight for hard races, grab data, allow modifications on the boats for one year. Just drop a few events to attract medias and hold fans attention

12 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Old school approach. Use the proven technology. It's much faster and way less expensive, once developed.

You don't want too many events. Get on the water every single day with the Americans and fight for hard races, grab data, allow modifications on the boats for one year. Just drop a few events to attract medias and hold fans attention

You don't even have any two boats testing limitations, until you challenge.