The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

I have not been able to read all the comments in this forum but it seems that the possbility of a 1-to-1 match between New Zealand and Ineos is seriously been considered. For example, De Nora has conf

Posted Images

In that Sail World article, Mark Jardine includes LE and Oracle in the 'rumoured to be interested' category alongside EB....

Anyone else heard about this? That would be a turn-up - Larry could get Jimmy back and skin the rest of the AM crew from under Terry's nose.

5 minutes ago, NZK said:

In that Sail World article, Mark Jardine includes LE and Oracle in the 'rumoured to be interested' category alongside EB....

Anyone else heard about this? That would be a turn-up - Larry could get Jimmy back and skin the rest of the AM crew from under Terry's nose.

Not now that our Jimmy is so nice (or at least bearable even for many Kiwis)!!! :D  :D

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, NZK said:

Elon Musk too, now that would be very cool.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, NZK said:

I'm sure he is accurately reporting that someone, somewhere is spreading that rumour. I call BS. 

1 hour ago, NZK said:

LE seemed done after 34. While EB may be back I don't think Larry ever will.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Does anyone have a list of all the CORs in the various editions of the Cup since the CSS were introduced?

And if this list does not exist, maybe our Cup historians can help to compile one?
@~HHN92~ @WetHog @~Stingray~~

I'l start with the easy ones, well, not sure about the Swedes tho:

AC32: Golden Gate Yacht Club
AC33: no CoR
AC34: Club Nautico di Roma, then Kungliga Svenska Segelsällskapet
AC35: Hamilton Island Yacht Club, then Circolo della Vela Sicilia gave all rights to a challenger commission and withdrew
AC36: Circolo della Vela Sicilia
AC37: Royal Yacht Squadron

9 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

And if this list does not exist, maybe our Cup historians can help to compile one?
@~HHN92~ @WetHog @~Stingray~~

I'l start with the easy ones, well, not sure about the Swedes tho:

AC32: Golden Gate Yacht Club
AC34: Club Nautico di Roma, then Kungliga Svenska Segelsällskapet
AC35: Hamilton Island Yacht Club, then Circolo della Vela Sicilia gave all rights to a challenger commission and withdrew
AC36: Circolo della Vela Sicilia
AC37: Royal Yacht Squadron

Thanks! I add some Italian COR

AC26 (1987 - Fremantle - Australia): Yacht Club Costa Smeralda - Azzurra (ITA)
AC27 (1988 - San Diego - USA): DoG Match
AC28 (1992 - San Diego - USA):
AC29 (1995 - San Diego - USA):
AC30 (2000 - Auckland - New Zealand):
AC31 (2003 - Auckland - New Zealand): Yacht Club Punta Ala - Luna Rossa (ITA)
AC32 (2007 - Valencia - Spain (Switzerland): Golden Gate Yacht Club - BMW Oracle Racing (USA)
AC34: Club Nautico di Roma - Mascalzone Latino(ITA), then Kungliga Svenska Segelsällskapet
AC35: Hamilton Island Yacht Club, then Circolo della Vela Sicilia gave all rights to a challenger commission and withdrew
AC36: (2021 - Auckland - New Zealand): Circolo della Vela Sicilia - Luna Rossa (ITA)
AC37: (202x - ???): Royal Yacht Squadron

7 hours ago, NZK said:

Everybody's interested until it's time to cut the check.

I don't think Larry will be interested in supporting Sail GP and an AC team unless Sail GP becomes self-sustaining (not likely).

Just now, strider470 said:

In order to beat NZ they need a Dream of Gift, not the Deed of Gift

Given how fucking far behind INEOS were, I suspect you are right.

The only possibility is if they are allowed to develop a bunch more foils, rigs, etc and then who knows? Perhaps?

It would be Benny's backyard after all and that will give him an advantage in terms playing the shifts etc.

4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Given how fucking far behind INEOS were, I suspect you are right.

The only possibility is if they are allowed to develop a bunch more foils, rigs, etc and then who knows? Perhaps?

It would be Benny's backyard after all and that will give him an advantage in terms playing the shifts etc.

Hope they both stop playing the shi(f)ts

• Like 1
11 hours ago, strider470 said:

I understand the first error. I did it as well.

I can try to understand the second one, even if "errare humanum est perseverare autem diabolicum"

It's the third one that is inexplicable :D :D

Well, do you know what the punishment for bygamy is?

Two wives.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I can see INEOS TEAM UK withdrawing as Challenger of Record as particularly if Ratcliffe has to fund a lot of Events.

Good, because they have already proven they are not a good CoR in representing the other challengers.

4 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

Good, because they have already proven they are not a good CoR in representing the other challengers.

Luna Rossa did not represent the other two Challengers for AC36 well either, it was even worse.

On 3/19/2021 at 1:12 PM, Basiliscus said:

A single club cannot hold onto the Cup because any club can challenge for it.  But two clubs can keep it bottled up between them forever if they are of like minds.  All they have to do is be each other's hip pocket challenger and not allow any other clubs to compete. 

I can’t see see that ‘forever’ exclusivity ever being ruled DoG-legal by the NYSC. 

5 hours ago, strider470 said:

Thanks! I add some Italian COR

AC26 (1987 - Fremantle - Australia): Yacht Club Costa Smeralda - Azzurra (ITA)
AC27 (1988 - San Diego - USA): DoG Match
AC28 (1992 - San Diego - USA):
AC29 (1995 - San Diego - USA):
AC30 (2000 - Auckland - New Zealand):
AC31 (2003 - Auckland - New Zealand): Yacht Club Punta Ala - Luna Rossa (ITA)
AC32 (2007 - Valencia - Spain (Switzerland): Golden Gate Yacht Club - BMW Oracle Racing (USA)
AC34: Club Nautico di Roma - Mascalzone Latino(ITA), then Kungliga Svenska Segelsällskapet
AC35: Hamilton Island Yacht Club, then Circolo della Vela Sicilia gave all rights to a challenger commission and withdrew
AC36: (2021 - Auckland - New Zealand): Circolo della Vela Sicilia - Luna Rossa (ITA)
AC37: (202x - ???): Royal Yacht Squadron

AC28 - Royal Perth YC

AC29 - Challenger of Record Committee(?) First I’ve heard of this.

AC 30 - NYYC

Cupinfo has a chart listing all of the CORs and who was the final challenger per cycle going back to 1970. 

http://www.cupinfo.com/en/americas-cup-brief-history-challenger-of-record-01.php

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 2

All this discussion about the minutae of the DoG and the challenging club and what can be done ahead of time and what cannot.

I went back to look up who were prior CoRs, and discovered that in 1995, there was no CoR. 

Then in 2 subsequent cycles, the CoR resigned (2013 and 2017) and was replaced by a committee in 2017 and another challenger in 2013.

6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I can’t see see that ‘forever’ exclusivity ever being ruled DoG-legal by the NYSC. 

It would contradict two words of the deed: 1) friendly competition between nations 2) any YC.... is entitled to sail a match

Ratcliffe, worth a reported $34b as founder and co-owner of petrochemicals giant Ineos, said he wouldn’t be funding the deed of gift challenge.

“Absolutely not. I want to be clear about that. Because that would be sort of like buying the Cup into the UK and I don't think that's appropriate,” 

If true, where’s the money for TNZ coming from?

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

I think Ineos can be a very good COR, but they should leave this idea of a bridge 1 - 1 AC

What's this 'bridge' crap. Far more like a ford.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

All this discussion about the minutae of the DoG and the challenging club and what can be done ahead of time and what cannot.

I went back to look up who were prior CoRs, and discovered that in 1995, there was no CoR. 

Then in 2 subsequent cycles, the CoR resigned (2013 and 2017) and was replaced by a committee in 2017 and another challenger in 2013.

In 2017 it was more complex than that. LR decided to completely share the role with the other challengers, then they decided to change the class of boats, and only at this point they resigned and withdrew from the competition in protest, being well ahead in the developement. For @dg_sailingfan, always blaming Luna Rossa, was that fair?

18 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Probably from the Host Fee, Broadcast Deals, etc. if it is in the UK!

AC37 will probably be back in Pay-Per-View.

27 minutes ago, Xlot said:

I expect Emirates can't afford to fund TNZ, so by hosting in Europe it allows GD to shop around for a friendly Billionaire or Company to fund TNZ -

wait for it....

Alinghi Team New Zealand :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Probably from the Host Fee, Broadcast Deals, etc. if it is in the UK!

AC37 will probably be back in Pay-Per-View.

I'd be pretty fucking surprised if they can find as many interested eyeballs in the UK as there are in NZ.

• Like 1

I'd be pretty fucking surprised if they can find as many interested eyeballs in the UK as there are in NZ.

They don't need as many eyeballs as you would think! ETNZ has set up the ORIGIN SPORTS GROUP to exploit potential overseas venues according to that Tender Document that circulated around a month ago. Origin Sports is chaired by Sir Keith Mills, who also was the Chairman of the "London 2012 Organizing Committee". You would think that if Mills was able to bring the London Olympics into the UK he would be more than capable of organising an AC on the Solent. Origin Sports organized and hosted the two ACWS Events in 2015 & 2016 and was slated to do it again for the 2020 Event until it got pulled bcuz of the COVID Pandemic!

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

They don't need as many eyeballs as you would think! ETNZ has set up the ORIGIN SPORTS GROUP to exploit potential overseas venues according to that Tender Document that circulated around a month ago. Origin Sports is chaired by Sir Keith Mills, who also was the Chairman of the "London 2012 Organizing Committee". You would think that if Mills was able to bring the London Olympics into the UK he would be more than capable of organising an AC on the Solent. Origin Sports organized and hosted the two ACWS Events in 2015 & 2016 and was slated to do it again for the 2020 Event until it got pulled bcuz of the COVID Pandemic!

Nobody cares about the two part-time secretaries at OSG.

6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Im not suggesting it can't be organised. I am suggesting that monitising to the necessary level is pretty fucking unlikely.

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Im not suggesting it can't be organised. I am suggesting that monitising to the necessary level is pretty fucking unlikely.

First of all there needs an actual call made by Grant Dalton if he wants this or not! And after that you can start planning! Until Defender ETNZ has decided what they want to do everyone will be left in the dark!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Nobody cares about the two part-time secretaries at OSG.

You are talking as if Sir Keith Mills is some sort of a scum!

Crikey what a wicked web those who chase the Poisoned Chalice weave.

Going offshore for a one on one with the Frackers based on the premise that if they lose TNZ will get to challenge again on the sparkling Waitemata in 2027 or whenever yeah right.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that so many Kiwi fanboys really do think INEOS would defend in Auckland.  Its as if they believe TNZ is unbeatable.  INEOS are not so dumb to think they dont have a real shot, I bet their development has not stopped but has been ramped up considerably.  They might surprise a few NZers.  Of all the fanboys I think Clarkey has the best handle on the bridging event.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, trt131 said:

I find it hard to believe that so many Kiwi fanboys really do think INEOS would defend in Auckland.  Its as if they believe TNZ is unbeatable.  INEOS are not so dumb to think they dont have a real shot, I bet their development has not stopped but has been ramped up considerably.  They might surprise a few NZers.  Of all the fanboys I think Clarkey has the best handle on the bridging event.

You think INEOS has a shot? I'd say NO and neither have other Challengers. As long as we continue with the AC75 Class the Kiwis are going to win! Their Design Advantage is just too big IMO!

Just now, dg_sailingfan said:

You think INEOS has a shot? I'd say NO and neither have other Challengers. As long as we continue with the AC75 Class the Kiwis are going to win!

Thats what I am talking about

3 hours ago, trt131 said:

Looking in reality at the final results the Royal barge was a fucking shocker coming second in the Prada Cup contrary to all the puff and bluster thank god the Handbags made the AC match otherwise the whole regatta would have been a total embarrassment unfortunately in true British fashion ie still looking for Mallorys camera it's only encouraged them to continue.

They brought a Corgi to a gunfight:P

3 hours ago, trt131 said:

I really don’t think INEOS as they are, with their current iteration of AC75 has a chance. I think they would get completely blitzed by Te Rehutai. They would need to build a brand new boat, which is what they would do if the 1 on 1 race happens.   I think there are a few things that need to happen for INEOS to be successful. Ainslie to step away from the helm. Let guys like Dylan Fletcher, Leigh McMillan, Paul Campbell James and Chris Draper take over. Let Giles take on a coaching role like Ray Davies has. The days of the old school match racer are over. The days of the seat of the pants, instinctive, Olympic sailor are here now. Ainslie needs to step into more of a management role as opposed to a sailing team role. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, strider470 said:

it would be hilarious if NYSC amended the Deed to avoid hip pocket CORs right before AC37 takes place ... :D :D

Why? You want to wait even longer in between events?

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Either that or more DoG matches.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The days of the seat of the pants, instinctive, Olympic sailor are here now. 

Ainslie has 4 gold and 1 Silver - how many Olympic medals do you want?

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I really don’t think INEOS as they are, with their current iteration of AC75 has a chance. I think they would get completely blitzed by Te Rehutai. They would need to build a brand new boat, which is what they would do if the 1 on 1 race happens.   I think there are a few things that need to happen for INEOS to be successful. Ainslie to step away from the helm. Let guys like Dylan Fletcher, Leigh McMillan, Paul Campbell James and Chris Draper take over. Let Giles take on a coaching role like Ray Davies has. The days of the old school match racer are over. The days of the seat of the pants, instinctive, Olympic sailor are here now. Ainslie needs to step into more of a management role as opposed to a sailing team role. 

I agree with you for the most Part but Ben Ainslie isn't that good at Manager/CEO either.  

I think Grant Simmer is the problem! He needs to be jettisoned and Ratcliffe needs to get more activly involved. He needs to buy that entire Mercedes F1 Design Team who won 6 Constructors Championships and let them get to design the new Boat.

The reason why INEOS was able to turn around their dismal Christmas Performance was Mercedes. These Smart Guys over in Brackley, UK figured out what was wrong with the Boat.

But you are right, racing in the AC75 has become a young mans Game!

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

ETNZ is playing the media ----Cup will not be defended anywhere else but Auckland

UK DOG Its not going to happen (Even if ETNZ were serious its not practical before 2025 or 2026  --why ? COVID and all the future waves is the blocker --there is no workarounds)

40 minutes ago, Chapter Four said:

These Olympic Medals are totally irrelevant now. Ben is 44 years old. I agree with @Forourselves, Ben needs to give away the wheel!

1 hour ago, Chapter Four said:

Russell Coutts has one too. Yet he's not sailing these things anymore.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

These Olympic Medals are totally irrelevant now. Ben is 44 years old. I agree with @Forourselves, Ben needs to give away the wheel!

Oh bollocks. 

Deano for sure, but Ben still has a couple of cups left in him. More if they're going to be every couple of years.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

I said hilarious, and not desirable,  actually

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

And Bruni? he's older and has no medals.

I think Ben needs to give away the management role, and focus on the driving - look at Spithills performance in Bermuda. Jimmys sailing this go around was much better.

Deano was done after 2013, ETNZ made the hard, but right call there. He would be a hero now if he stayed and coached, instead of the pariah he is now.

Wussel, he's 59! guy would need a zimmer frame to helm an AC75. He's old enough to be Burlings dad!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Oh bollocks. 

Deano for sure, but Ben still has a couple of cups left in him. More if they're going to be every couple of years.

Jimmy's proven that being the 'wrong' side of 40 doesn't mean it's game over for being an AC helm and BA showed pretty strong form in the only SGP event of 2020 so I think it's too early to count him out completely.

BA's mistake was trying to wear too many hats in 36; either stay on the wheel and leave the Management roles to someone else or keep your fancy office but hand off the helm to someone else. IMO he needs to hand off the management because the whole INEOS structure needs a shake-up and someone new in the hot seat to drive development and manage that team structure. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, NZK said:

BA's mistake was trying to wear too many hats in 36; either stay on the wheel and leave the Management roles to someone else or keep your fancy office but hand off the helm to someone else. IMO he needs to hand off the management because the whole INEOS structure needs a shake-up and someone new in the hot seat to drive development and manage that team structure. 

Spot on.

I agree with you for the most Part but Ben Ainslie isn't that good at Manager/CEO either.  

I think Grant Simmer is the problem! He needs to be jettisoned and Ratcliffe needs to get more activly involved. He needs to buy that entire Mercedes F1 Design Team who won 6 Constructors Championships and let them get to design the new Boat.

The reason why INEOS was able to turn around their dismal Christmas Performance was Mercedes. These Smart Guys over in Brackley, UK figured out what was wrong with the Boat.

But you are right, racing in the AC75 has become a young mans Game!

I think INEOS needs a shake up, but I'd keep Simmer and jettison Holroyd.

Ran out of ideas in 2013, and was just piggy backing on ORTUSA in 2017.

Rita 2 was in the ball park, but rudimentary compared to TR and LRPP, and couldn't figure out why all the bits didn't work together - as head of the design team it's his job to make sure all the bits work together.

Just now, strider470 said:

Let's be honest, Ben Ainslie wuould have easily won the America's Cup, swapping boats with the Kiwis.

Deano and Hutch would have won with TR

15 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Let's be honest, Ben Ainslie wuould have easily won the America's Cup, swapping boats with the Kiwis.

Easily? I think that's an overstatement but yeah would have won. Jimmy and Francesco too.

Dean and Hutch? Not convinced. They were very weak.

5 minutes ago, Chapter Four said:

I think INEOS needs a shake up, but I'd keep Simmer and jettison Holroyd.

I agree about the shake-up but perhaps not the person who should go. Maybe I'm being naïve here but what did Simmer actually bring to INEOS this time round?

He didn't bring the money in. He didn't lead the design team. He was supposed to manage the organisation but it was plagued with internal politics that resulted in delays in development that arguable cost them the chance to challenge (this is reference the interview with the French INEOS designer that talked about all the push back from members of the sailing team)....

Easily? I think that's an overstatement but yeah would have won. Jimmy and Francesco too.

Dean and Hutch? Not convinced. They were very weak.

It was intended as a compliment to Ben. And these boats are not as physical as a dinghy. As long as they remain agile enough to swap side after a tack/gybe, I don't see any problem for older helmsmen. The age is more related to foiling / apparent wind attitude that lack in the older generation. Not Ben's case, though.

26 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I don't see any problem for older helmsmen. 

Reaction time increases with age from 25 onwards. A proven physiological fact, unfortunately.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dogwatch said:

Reaction time increases with age from 25 onwards. A proven physiological fact, unfortunately.

That's true. Nonetheless, I would pick Ben over 99% of other helmsmen, given the chance. And he could be a perfect tactician as well, for that reaction time would be less of an issue.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Whilst that might be true, it has been proven pretty conclusively in F1 that even their champion drivers do not have particularly exceptional reaction times.

Where they differ from ordinary people is their ability to anticipate what will happen and that is shown to deteriorate much later and slower.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Nonetheless, I would pick Ben over 99% of other helmsmen, given the chance. 

Yes. But not necessarily over 99.999%. There are younger, talented, British sailors from apparent wind classes out there. BA as tactician, by all means.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Where they differ from ordinary people is their ability to anticipate what will happen and that is shown to deteriorate much later and slower.

Thank you, well that's cheerful for those of us over 25, possibly quite a lot over. 

• Like 3

Do we believe this? 

Ratcliffe, worth a reported $34b as founder and co-owner of petrochemicals giant Ineos, said he wouldn’t be funding the deed of gift challenge.

“Absolutely not. I want to be clear about that. Because that would be sort of like buying the Cup into the UK and I don't think that's appropriate,” he told The Telegraph.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Do we believe this? 

“Absolutely not. I want to be clear about that. Because that would be sort of like buying the Cup into the UK and I don't think that's appropriate,” he told The Telegraph.

Then I would not understand why GD is even considering the proposal

• Like 1
20 hours ago, The Advocate said:

Cry me a fucking river.

precisely, same person that before Xmas said  that all team INEOS had the CVs in the post and were jumping ship, 

57 minutes ago, strider470 said:

What I mean, is that it's too early to put Ben Ainslie behind a desk.

He’s good enough to be a helmsmen again, but he shouldn’t be running a syndicate.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chapter Four said:

Yet none of them racing a yacht doing 50 knots

start and finish at southampton  around the isle of white and back

a little over 100ks course

finish in around 2 hours per race

would be an interesting spectacle and plenty of places to view it from

should be a class race meet not an am cup race series

6 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

start and finish at southampton  around the isle of white and back

Isle of Wight.

If it happens, you can count on the start and finish being on the RYS line which is off Cowes rather than Southampton.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

Do we believe this? 

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

Then I would not understand why GD is even considering the proposal

It doesn't seem to make any sense if Ratty isn't paying for the event (and for ETNZ as well as INEOS!). You can see why he might feel it would be seen as buying the Cup. It's only a rumour and already that is the criticism.

However the other possible element in the equation is Origin Sports Group. They are the sports investment and management group who Dalton got to oversee venue bidding. Origin stem from Team Origin, a UK syndicate put together with Ben Ainslie with plans to challenge for the AC after 2007, at the end of the IACC era. They might think that they could raise the money if there was enough hype, and they would then front the event. There would always be a way of Ratty putting some money in without it looking like he was running the whole shebang.

Speculation, but hey this is SAAC and the thread is 'news and rumours'!

IMO it's most likely an Is. of W. DoG won't happen. ^_^