Jump to content

The AC 37 has started, news and rumours


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

Wow, 13 pages, a frenzy of outraged indignation over something that hasn't even been decided yet? This must set some new kind of SA record??! (... probably not )

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

can’t be bothered watching that stupid video. 

Look in the mirror and repeat after me. 
 

I am not a member of ETNZ so referring to a victory with phrases  “we won, We beat you” makes me look really stupid. 
 

you can thank me later ;-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Forourselves said:

No when you win 8 races as ETNZ did, it becomes 8 wins. Simple.

Ah, yes. I have fallen victim to being one of your dickhead casual fans. If I were foaming at the mouth, I probably would have remembered that, but I’m not, so I didn’t. Nor are things so simple for me as you suggest because I do not possess your clarity of vision insofar as knowing that I am always right and everybody else is wrong. 

Instead, I find myself confused by enjoying both the AC and SailGP, as I can see the merits of both, but mostly I just like watching fast sailing. I don’t typically have a favorite team, but enjoy watching the pinnacle of just about every sport. ETNZ is at the pinnacle of this sport and deserve that recognition, but there were others before them and will be others after them that share that space. 

Also, Peter Burling is a fantastic sailor, but he didn’t do very well in Bermuda. That he didn’t do well in Bermuda doesn’t mean he is no longer a fantastic sailor.  I have no idea if he designed a boat, or what he ate for breakfast. I can’t muster enough interest to care. I wouldn’t “call him out” on anything, mostly because I have no idea what that means, and he rightly has no idea who I am.

It’s all very confusing not having the benefit of your blinders. I’ll just have to muddle along anyway, checking back here every now and then in hopes that something new about AC37 has arrived. In the meantime, you can hold down the fort and keep screaming into the wind.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Yeah it has, and the F50 broke every time. Wings, grinding pedestals, sailors. The F50 has had more breakages to date then the AC75 because it’s a weak fragile piece of junk.
The AC75 reached 53knots during racing. Something the F50 hasn’t been able to achieve. And the 75 is only going to get faster. The F50 can not claim to be the fastest boat anymore, because that title belongs to the AC75.

 

The F50 breaks as any boat but repairs easily.

The AC75 reached 53 kts before crashing and sadly breaking, which presumably prevented AM to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first ever post don’t shoot me if it’s been discussed already. Read the last few pages of this and there was no mention…..

Question: what’s the latest on a venue for AC37? All rumours and unsubstantiated comment welcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Yeah it has, and the F50 broke every time. Wings, grinding pedestals, sailors. The F50 has had more breakages to date then the AC75 because it’s a weak fragile piece of junk.
The AC75 reached 53knots during racing. Something the F50 hasn’t been able to achieve. And the 75 is only going to get faster. The F50 can not claim to be the fastest boat anymore, because that title belongs to the AC75.

Hahaha one regatta is nothing. NOTHING. Shit they dropped 3 races in the AC before demolishing the Challenger and winning the silverware. No one has won or lost anything until they have the trophy in their hands. The trophy is ALL that matters. Winning the last race is all that matters. Surely your dumb ass should know that by now.

You need a break. Seriously. Only Darth Vader would be impressed by the amount of pure hatred oozing from your posts regarding SGP and the F50s. That can't be healthy.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, overlapping jib said:

My first ever post don’t shoot me if it’s been discussed already. Read the last few pages of this and there was no mention…..

Question: what’s the latest on a venue for AC37? All rumours and unsubstantiated comment welcome.

No new news.

RYS and RNZYS indicated they would like to announce a protocol within 6 months.

Unsubstantiated rumors say that they are looking at two options.

1. A full on defense in Auckland.

2. An intermediate event . 2 teams only, RYS vs RNZYS in the solent.

Totally unsubstantiated. Ratcliffe answered a journalist that Ineos would be thrilled with the event being hosted in the Solent but the decision on location would be entirely up to NZ.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The F50 breaks as any boat but repairs easily.

The AC75 reached 53 kts before crashing and sadly breaking, which presumably prevented AM to win.

Nope. The F50 has had more breakages than any of the AC75's.

AM crashed in the RR. She hit 53 knots in the Semi (without crashing).

Its called research.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, atwinda said:

You need a break. Seriously. Only Darth Vader would be impressed by the amount of pure hatred oozing from your posts regarding SGP and the F50s. That can't be healthy.

I_Find_Your_Lack_of_Faith_Disturbing_ban

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

You can both fuck off to be honest 

Go Home Hiding you Clone. Everybody JALhazcrap is not a real person. He is a clone trying to seek attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Nope. The F50 has had more breakages than any of the AC75's.

AM crashed in the RR. She hit 53 knots in the Semi (without crashing).

Its called research.

 

This is not true. AM almost flipped over again in the Semi but somehow they saved the situation. It was blowing 23-26 knots in Bermuda the 2nd Day. No way the AC75 would have raced in those conditions. They even had to lower the wind limit for the AC75 prior to the Prada Cup Final & America's Cup Match from 23 down to 21 knots because of the AM Capsize in the RR!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wish we could have seen 7 AC75s in a fleet race like in the SailGP! And I wish we could see the F50s match racing. I really like watching both boats.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The thread topic is AC 37.

The F50s aka AC 50s aka GP 50s are not going to form part of AC 37. 
 

We all know by now that 4selves does not like the multihulls at all and loves the AC 75. Point taken. Move on.

 

Like Roose, I think both classes are great boats to race and very different. I have enjoyed watching both. At this moment in time, I think the 75 is the right boat for the AC (spectacular!) and the 50 is the right boat for SailGP (cost effective and OD). All is good. 
 

Nothing is going to change 4self mind. But the 75 is chosen for AC37 so be happy and enjoy it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, coercivity said:

Totally agree and a reach mark also for a bit of speed work. Actually I would like a mandatory sail change also.

The Saill GP races start with a reaching leg. 
 

I think pit stops to change sails would look a little artificial in either class. 
 


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

agree the pit stop would be hard but a Code 0 could work auto deploy somehow but the AC could have a reach start and there could through the elimination be longer or fleet events all about the spectacle and generalized carnage.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, coercivity said:

Totally agree and a reach mark also for a bit of speed work. Actually I would like a mandatory sail change also.

Why would you want a mandatory sail change if conditions don't warrant it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, coercivity said:

agree the pit stop would be hard but a Code 0 could work auto deploy somehow but the AC could have a reach start and there could through the elimination be longer or fleet events all about the spectacle and generalized carnage.  

Care to break that word salad into a coherent series of sentences so we can have some idea what you are talking about?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Careful, remember you said those F50s were designed by Kiwis.. 

and fuck off with the fastest boat thing, crack 68kts and then have that discussion. 
the F50 couldn’t claim that title and neither can an AC75 

I mentioned this before ; I only got the chance to visit the village once this cycle, but the frail catamaran nailed up on the wall of the base, with the bike seats at the level of the gunwales, the fairings looking like the monokoted models I used to build, all the wires like a Wright bros plane, compared to the huge solid mass of the 75 when they lifted it....striking. I can see why all the sailors say they feel safer in the AC75 class. A huge step forward in the first version, just like a modern fighter jet compared to a sopwith camel. 

The 50's are third gen, if we get 3 gens of the current class...it will be interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, accnick said:

Care to break that word salad into a coherent series of sentences so we can have some idea what you are talking about?

Generalized carnage ...I would leave it at that,

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coercivity said:

agree the pit stop would be hard but a Code 0 could work auto deploy somehow but the AC could have a reach start and there could through the elimination be longer or fleet events all about the spectacle and generalized carnage.  

Ooh, you want the SailGP thread...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at all, both classes are a lot of fun and should leverage the other.

The GP is a place to see how things could be different. Very few thought the course used in the AC was big enough and many regretted the course being exclusively up and down. A reach and maybe engineering in a lower wind speed limit but with a code 0 get out of jail option to get foiling again.  

The point being that it can change with the same boats and have wind limit of 6 to 30Knts

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, barfy said:

just like a modern fighter jet compared to a sopwith camel.

So, the sopwith camel is going faster than the modern jet fighter without breaking like the AC75 does at 53 kts ? One eyed kiwi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coercivity said:

Not at all, both classes are a lot of fun and should leverage the other.

The GP is a place to see how things could be different. Very few thought the course used in the AC was big enough and many regretted the course being exclusively up and down. A reach and maybe engineering in a lower wind speed limit but with a code 0 get out of jail option to get foiling again.  

The point being that it can change with the same boats and have wind limit of 6 to 30Knts

Hilarious!!!!!

The AC75 Class would ever been able to be sailed in 30 Knots of wind. Never!

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, barfy said:

I mentioned this before ; I only got the chance to visit the village once this cycle, but the frail catamaran nailed up on the wall of the base, with the bike seats at the level of the gunwales, the fairings looking like the monokoted models I used to build, all the wires like a Wright bros plane, compared to the huge solid mass of the 75 when they lifted it....striking. I can see why all the sailors say they feel safer in the AC75 class. A huge step forward in the first version, just like a modern fighter jet compared to a sopwith camel. 

The 50's are third gen, if we get 3 gens of the current class...it will be interesting.

What was that someone mentioned? Something like...

"If it breaks, it's too light.  If it doesn't, it's too heavy.:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Go Home Hiding you Clone. Everybody JALhazcrap is not a real person. He is a clone trying to seek attention.

But you said you loved me? Now this public denial? You beast! My heart is forever broken. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please not a reaching start for the AC. That was one of the biggest pluses for the recent AC over the SailGP.

The only way to get meaningful sail changes are longer courses with wider wind speeds allowed. Personally I loved the light airs day on the RRs

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Please not a reaching start for the AC. That was one of the biggest pluses for the recent AC over the SailGP.

The only way to get meaningful sail changes are longer courses with wider wind speeds allowed. Personally I loved the light airs day on the RRs

Different starts for different boats.  I liked the upwind starts for the AC 75. It meant that starts could be either won, lost or tied.  A number of starts were  tied, and then you would have a  tactical and speed battles....does windward boat pin leeward boat or have to tack away?  Calling for room at layline etc. 

The reaching start is either won or lost at the first turning mark......that is appropriate for the fleet racing in the cats and requires incredible time and distance judgement. Also fun but just different.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are right, I fear that an upwind start in SailGP would be carnage, and involve too risk of someone else's mistake affecting a boat that's got it right.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

I think you are right, I fear that an upwind start in SailGP would be carnage, and involve too risk of someone else's mistake affecting a boat that's got it right.

Yes . That’s why I think both events are valid and interesting in their own separate ways.   
I was one of those who initially thought returning to mono hulls was a backwards step when AC 35 was announced. I didn’t think anything could be as exciting and as fast as the Bermuda foiling cats. But the moment I saw them race in the December ACWS , I freely acknowledged that this was a superb innovation and to my surprise they worked. The speeds will get closer as designs merge towards the best ideas.  The narrower beams work for upwind starts and match racing.   The only drawback is the huge expense and some of the rule compromises.

In the meantime the AC 50 has evolved into the GP50 with some significant improvements that make it an astonishing speed machine with better wings than they had in the AC . Superb beasts for the sailGp circuit.

We have the best of both worlds and we get to see the AC helms perform in a different environment.   I believe they can coexist and indeed be mutually beneficial.   
 

I think Sail GP will mantain interest in the AC players during the down years. I think that the AC gives interest to SAIL GP.  It is a symbiotic relationship. Both benefit.

The only downside to AC enterprises is that Sail GP might divert interest away from an ACWS if they organize one. I don’t think so. I think that SAIL GP fans are more likely to watch an ACWS due to Sail GP than they would otherwise. 
 

Thus in conclusion, I think some differences help make the events interesting in their own right.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Yes . That’s why I think both events are valid and interesting in their own separate ways.   
I was one of those who initially thought returning to mono hulls was a backwards step when AC 35 was announced. I didn’t think anything could be as exciting and as fast as the Bermuda foiling cats. But the moment I saw them race in the December ACWS , I freely acknowledged that this was a superb innovation and to my surprise they worked. The speeds will get closer as designs merge towards the best ideas.  The narrower beams work for upwind starts and match racing.   The only drawback is the huge expense and some of the rule compromises.

In the meantime the AC 50 has evolved into the GP50 with some significant improvements that make it an astonishing speed machine with better wings than they had in the AC . Superb beasts for the sailGp circuit.

We have the best of both worlds and we get to see the AC helms perform in a different environment.   I believe they can coexist and indeed be mutually beneficial.   
 

I think Sail GP will mantain interest in the AC players during the down years. I think that the AC gives interest to SAIL GP.  It is a symbiotic relationship. Both benefit.

The only downside to AC enterprises is that Sail GP might divert interest away from an ACWS if they organize one. I don’t think so. I think that SAIL GP fans are more likely to watch an ACWS due to Sail GP than they would otherwise. 
 

Thus in conclusion, I think some differences help make the events interesting in their own right.  

 

Interesting Observation! I think ETNZ/INEOS will only go for an ACWS (America's Cup World Series) Event in the new AC37 Cycle if they have assurances that the Event can be staged and they do not have to cancel it at the last minute like with Cagliari & Portsmouth 2020. There is too much a logistical risk trying to stage an Event and then have to cancel it. The AC75 Class unlike the GP50 are massive technical Boats.

SailGP can be staged even with COVID19 still present. I don't think that's possible with the AC75 Class. If Dalton/Ratcliffe want to have Preliminary Events they have to find a "Safe Venue" first.

Yesterday Australias Trade Minister Dan Fehan announced that Australias Borders will be closed until the end of 2022 for Non-Australian Citizens because of the ongoing Pandemic.

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiEmt7t9rrwAhWjgP0HHQH2CwwQFjABegQIAxAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomberg.com%2Fnews%2Farticles%2F2021-05-06%2Faustralia-s-borders-may-not-open-until-late-2022-minister-says%23%3A~%3Atext%3DAustralia's%20trade%20minister%20said%20the%2Cwhen%20Australia's%20borders%20might%20open.&usg=AOvVaw3zNUw7MOGf4-2tKy1EHCR2

Link to post
Share on other sites

@enigmatically2

More sobering News:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/australia-international-travel-not-to-reach-prepandemic-levels-until-2024/dc980e90-559e-4b63-a402-e4e36a4458ec

From my Point of view it doesn't make any sense to stage the next AC until 2024. The Cup is moot without any International Travellers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 4:56 PM, dg_sailingfan said:

The only way you get rid of Four @atwindais "PUNCH HIM"! Unfortunately that is not possible!

The other choice would be for close to 100% of the regulars to put him on ignore, and even if not on ignore, never respond to his postings.

He feeds on responses. 

I have him on ignore, and I feel my life is better for it.  However, it is sad that there is no way to tell the software to also hide posts that are responding to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like EastCoastHustle was the original poster over in the NYYC thread.

1 hour ago, EastCoastHustle said:

Now wait for Rennie's @Rennmaus Sunday morning reaction... :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks as if the East Coast Mafioso  didn't bother to include Tom on their power play to shake the cobwebs out of the AC game! That says a lot.

All the news on the NYYC's proposed big shakeup is already in the Team NYYC thread.

Probably best to consolidate comments about the club's proposed Draft Protocol over there!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a quick look in that so called "protocol":

 https://nyyc.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=05c5d6a055d14281b71ca7f36&id=9787a2b722&e=0ee0de8048


5 The dates and Venues of the Event are as follows: 6
Years and Venues of the America’s Cup
Year Match Venue
2024 37th AC New Zealand, home of the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron.
2027 38th AC Italy, home of the Circolo della Vela Sicilia.
2030 39th AC United Kingdom, home of the Royal Yacht Squadron.
2033 40th AC United States of America, home of the New York Yacht Club.
2035 41st AC Country of the Yacht Club winning the 37th AC.
2037 42nd AC Country of the Yacht Club winning the 38th AC.
2038 43rd AC Country of the Yacht Club winning the 39th AC.
2039 44th AC Country of the Yacht Club winning the 40th AC.

 

The NYYC and that Culver guy  must be fucking joking!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Now the SHIT begins. NYYC issues a Challenge & Draft Protocol despite not being the CoR!

https://mailchi.mp/nyyc/challenge-issued-for-37th-americas-cup?fbclid=IwAR3-0MSWdWKV8djNGphqF5hI532CCdU-jYMmqzgF_bsOKBVzLw42WB7S0so

Literally the same as proposed already but with things locked in place re the boat for 4 cups oh and they want to play in 37.. 

bore off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, P Flados said:

The other choice would be for close to 100% of the regulars to put him on ignore, and even if not on ignore, never respond to his postings.

He feeds on responses. 

I have him on ignore, and I feel my life is better for it.  However, it is sad that there is no way to tell the software to also hide posts that are responding to him.

Ignorance is bliss huh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

It looks like EastCoastHustle was the original poster over in the NYYC thread.

Now wait for Rennie's @Rennmaus Sunday morning reaction... :)

 

Haha, you stalker :wub:

Have to catch up first, but wow, gives us something else to bitch about until boat building resumes. The SGP monologue became a bit stale lately.

As for the challenge, porthos already highlighted the issues perfectly in the NYYC thread. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

...

All the news on the NYYC's proposed big shakeup is already in the Team NYYC thread.

Probably best to consolidate comments about the club's proposed Draft Protocol over there!

Or even better to give it it's own thread, at least to discuss their actual proposal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Lol,  illustrating the point perfectly :lol:

So no explanation again? Just a weak insult? thought so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So no explanation again? Just a weak insult? thought so. 

You asked how ignorance is bliss.

you are being ignorant and proving the point perfectly as you carry on being blissfully ignorant. 
 

clear enough? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

You asked how ignorance is bliss.

you are being ignorant and proving the point perfectly as you carry on being blissfully ignorant. 
 

clear enough? 

Ignorant regarding???

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't heard any recent news regarding the LR team and AC37...  I certainly hope they will be challenging. 

Paging @strider470 ...   :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Not worth reading IMO but here you go:

A Team New Zealand rival says they have serious concerns about the future of the America's Cup, suggesting it should be held in different countries every three years to improve the "viability" of the event.

The New York Yacht Club, which has successfully defended the Auld Mug 25 times in its history, has submitted a challenge for the next America's Cup in 2024 while also releasing a draft proposal for the event.

The proposal of taking the event to different countries comes after it was revealed earlier this year Team New Zealand was looking into hosting the 37th edition of the Cup abroad before they had won the 36th edition in Auckland.

Since that time, the Kiwis and new Challenger of Record Ineos Team UK confirmed they were looking into several options of where to host the 37th edition of the Cup, with Auckland and the Isle of Wight among the rumoured locations.

In a statement to the Herald, Team New Zealand said the New York Yacht Club was presumptuous in its intent, but they agreed the American outfit raised some valid points in their proposal.

The proposal includes a multi-event schedule for the next four America's Cup regattas across four different countries, confirmation of the AC75 boat, stronger crew nationality rules, cost-control measures and independent event management through the creation of an America's Cup Board of Governors.

It lists New Zealand as the host of the next event in 2024, but would mean Auckland couldn't stage the event again until 2035.

The New York Yacht Club claims established America's Cup teams have "similar views on the future of the competition".

Entry numbers were a point of criticism of the 36th America's Cup, as only three challengers were able to fund their campaigns to a point where they made the starting line in Auckland; Ineos Team UK, Luna Rossa and the New York Yacht Club's American Magic. Three others were forced to withdraw.

Team New Zealand are the America's Cup holders after defending the Auld Mug in March with British entry Ineos Team UK confirmed as the challenger of record shortly after Peter Burling led TNZ to a 7-3 victory over Luna Rossa.

Rumours have been rife about a one off "Deed of Gift" match between the defender and new Challenger of Record, which could take place as early as next year in the Isle of Wight where the Auld Mug was first contested in 1851.

But nothing has yet been confirmed by Team New Zealand.

"The America's Cup is at a pivotal point in its 170-year history," Christopher J Culver, Commodore of the New York Yacht Club, said in a statement.

"The competition for the 36th edition was thrilling, and Emirates Team New Zealand, representing the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, was a worthy winner. However, the New York Yacht Club, as the original trustee of the event and a participant in the most recent edition, has serious concerns about the future of this great competition.

"The cost of a competitive campaign, the lack of continuity in the class and the inability to plan beyond the current cycle have combined to create a prohibitive barrier to entry, which has manifested in the dwindling number of challengers and public interest.

While we await further details on the location, timing and conditions for the 37th America's Cup, we want to emphatically signal our enthusiasm for a multi-challenger event in 2024."

 

Culver said their proposed protocol was "necessary to improve the long-term commercial viability" of the America's Cup.

"Our proposed Protocol for the 37th America's Cup is the product of months of work and countless conversations with America's Cup stakeholders, including current and former challengers and defenders," Culver said.

"It includes the tools necessary to improve the long-term commercial viability and global reach of the competition, while remaining true to the Deed of Gift and to the spirit of one of international sport's oldest competitions."

However, the proposal to host in different countries regardless of who holds the Cup, might not be a popular one with Kiwi fans.

Earlier this year the Herald revealed Team New Zealand had tasked a London-based sports consultancy to run a world-wide selection process aimed at holding the "most successful America's Cup event ever seen" in 2023 or 2024.

American Magic were one of three challengers in the 36th America's Cup. Photo / Michael Craig American Magic were one of three challengers in the 36th America's Cup. Photo / Michael Craig

In a statement, Team New Zealand said the New York Yacht Club were presumptuous in their intent.

"RNZYS and Emirates Team New Zealand (as the current Defender of the America's Cup) welcome the New York Yacht Club's interest in the next America's Cup, but questions their motives for such a presumptuous statement when entries do not open for some time," a statement said.

"There have been some valid points raised by NYYC, a number of which are already being considered in developing a progressive and forward-thinking Protocol between the Defender and Ineos Team UK and the RYS as (Challenger of Record for the 37th America's Cup) who are the two parties responsible for developing the next Protocol."

Culver has previously slammed the idea of a one-off match between Team New Zealand and Ineos Team UK, calling the suggestion a "huge step in the wrong direction".

Culver said the New York Yacht Club would not support that decision as it excludes other entries.

"The two previous Deed of Gift matches, in 1988 and 2010, were distinct low points in the history of the America's Cup," he said.

"Regardless of the conditions, the New York Yacht Club will not support a Deed of Gift match or an America's Cup competition that, due to the schedule and rules for competition, is effectively open to only the defender and Challenger of Record.

"The AC75 is a remarkable boat that will only produce closer and more exciting competition in future cycles. As the world emerges from the Covid-19 pandemic, there will be a thirst for the fusion of competition, tradition and social interaction that the America's Cup can provide like no other sporting event.

"With the right schedule and match conditions, there is every expectation we would see a competition to rival Perth in 1987, Auckland in 2003 and Valencia in 2007.

"Each of those America's Cup cycles drew 10 or more teams to compete for the Auld Mug and the significant commercial interest necessary to support such a grand event. To waste this confluence of opportunity on a two-team event, to potentially once again plunge the competition into the New York State Courts, is not in the best interests of the America's Cup or the sport of sailing."

The New York Yacht Club's proposed schedule

2024 - 37th America's Cup - New Zealand host

2027 - 38th America's Cup - Italy host

2030 - 39th America's Cup - United Kingdom host

2033 - 40th America's Cup - US host

2035 - 41st America's Cup - Winner of 37th AC to host

2037 - 42nd America's Cup - Winner of 38th AC to host

2038 - 43rd America's Cup - Winner of 39th AC to host

2039 - 44th America's Cup - Winner of 40th AC to host

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

"To waste this confluence of opportunity on a two-team event, to potentially once again plunge the competition into the New York State Courts, is not in the best interests of the America's Cup or the sport of sailing."

 

Very odd statement. In one breath, Culver alludes to a legal challenge, presumably from NYYC, and concedes that their gripe isn't really legal in nature. They just doesn't like a 1v1 challenge. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

bahaha you guys don't even know what ignorant means!!

To be fair you are painting a pretty good picture.. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

To be fair, Ive been right all along.

Of course you have. Now come and sit down in your comfy room with it's nice soft walls, take this lovely pill and watch the pretty colours whilst we put you in this nice jacket.

<Nurse, make it triple strength>

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Of course you have. Now come and sit down in your comfy room with it's nice soft walls, take this lovely pill and watch the pretty colours whilst we put you in this nice jacket.

<Nurse, make it triple strength>

Cool story bro. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Ah ah ah GV is a Kiwi.

Passport of convienience.. just like Jimmy when you call him a hired gun. Oh and Glen, although with him he didn’t bother with the passport, they just had to pay him to stay ;-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

not according to the ETNZ web page I posted up for you a few days ago 

Dan is a ........... engineer, can you guess the missing word? its ok click on the link and it will tell you 

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/team/47_DAN-BERNASCONI.html

So you believe the press releases? They're not just "Puff pieces" where the teams are lying to us?

I'll remember that in future. Everything that is posted by the teams officially is the truth. Glad to see you've finally come around. 

You agreed with me that the F50 is shit, you agreed with me that SailGP is lying to its "fans" and now you agree that what the AC teams post on their websites is the truth.

Told ya I was right all along.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4U

I know there is no point trying because you divide the world into what you want to believe and lies, but Wikipedia, Google and the London Times also call him British/English. In fact the only one who seems to think he is a Kiwi is you. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

4U

I know there is no point trying because you divide the world into what you want to believe and lies, but Wikipedia, Google and the London Times also call him British/English. In fact the only one who seems to think he is a Kiwi is you. 

And thats all that matters.

When you wear the silver fern, when you represent it, that makes you a Kiwi.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@forourselves

so what nationality is Dan? 

'IF' the F50 is shit that makes the designers ( that you claim are all conquering Kiwis responsible) so you cant have it both ways. doesn't say much that your dream team cant get on a Kiwi designed boat and do better than last place. 

its not shit a shit boat, your mob had fuck all to do with it and old Pistol had his pants pulled down in the so called easy cash grab that you think is filling up GDs coffers..

the only thing filling up GDs coffers is what Jim decides to throw him out of pity as a fund raiser should they want to host in the UK  to keep his poorly funded on its arse team together, that or the nearest billionaire that wants their pound of flesh from GD, and like a good boy he will suck it up slap another spono logo  on the boat and tell everyone to eat another Big Mac.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

And thats all that matters.

When you wear the silver fern, when you represent it, that makes you a Kiwi.

and that why you think you are part of the team? it all makes sense now... you think it so it must be true..:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

And thats all that matters.

When you wear the silver fern, when you represent it, that makes you a Kiwi.

Then it is extraordinarily hypocritical of you to criticise any sailor on the boat of another national team. Because by your reasoning if they represent that country, they are of that country. 

Very hypocritical. And total bollocks of course

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

And thats all that matters.

When you wear the silver fern, when you represent it, that makes you a Kiwi.

This is nonsense. Bernasconi is British!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Been here since 2011. Yep, he is.

So then Jimmy is American? He's been American longer than that and he has an American wife and kids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

When you wear the silver fern, when you represent it, that makes you a Kiwi.

Deano like many just looks at the pay check details to confirm which country he is representing temporarily...

1BC8CE60-48D5-43AE-8657-84569F1C3D1A.jpeg.3f3b754f46085a45ee1f781a377e6111.jpeg
E6D34C95-AD8E-41CF-B539-C60F705FC3BE.jpeg.d4ea1298b87faa66d0839cd5caeab834.jpegD239231B-D160-436C-9916-AAF8BE6BC308.jpeg.1a4dea0c42adddbb5e18482a38c64956.jpeg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 7:15 PM, accnick said:

Why would you want a mandatory sail change if conditions don't warrant it?

Because you are a sail maker?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

This is nonsense. Bernasconi is British!

That is correct. Dan kept his British citizenship when he took the job with TNZ.

4U needs to relax. The Deed and the protocol allow international design team . Ironically the lead designer on Ineos, the British boat, is a kiwi.

GD is a determined leader. He sought the very best design talent where ever he could find it and after Dan left Allinghi, GD hired him . 

Link to post
Share on other sites