The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Maybe the sponsorship deal with Emirates fell short when the ACWS events all got cancelled?

That could be as well since initially they wanted 5 World Series events - Italy, UK, East Coast US, West Coast US and China

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Emirates Sponsorship - the current renewal is based on performance.  GD wants/needs the monies up front.  Emirates wants a chunk based on Preliminary Event performance as well as an outright AC37 win - basically paid as a bonus.

Since TNZ is extremely low on cash and looking at Jeddah for the bailout, they don't have the financial resources to waste on legal fees.  Having said that, it sounds like the potential Challengers(LR, AM and Alinghy) are getting together telling GD they will boycott AC37 if it is in the Middle East. 

That is only the tip of the iceberg I think!

I firmly believe the NYYC wants to be the Challenger of Record to push through their frivolous Challenge they announced a few months ago. NYYC just got ticked off ETNZ choose INEOS/RYS!

2 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

That could be as well since initially they wanted 5 World Series events - Italy, UK, East Coast US, West Coast US and China

Could also explain GD's attempt to make the UK event happen, even without Prada sponsorship/agreement. You'd think that sponsorship deals DO include events and their exposure..  

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Could also explain GD's attempt to make the UK event happen, even without Prada sponsorship/agreement. You'd think that sponsorship deals DO include events and their exposure..  

What has PRADA to do with AC37, tell us? They are not the CoR!

The whole issue of whether you can have a Team New Zealand without Grant Dalton is an interesting question. I suspect you can't at this point, at least not a good one.

Not because Dalts is so much better than anyone else, but because dictatorial/narcissistic personalities like his make themselves the center of the entire operation. 

1 minute ago, idontwan2know said:

The whole issue of whether you can have a Team New Zealand without Grant Dalton is an interesting question. I suspect you can't at this point, at least not a good one.

Not because Dalts is so much better than anyone else, but because dictatorial/narcissistic personalities like his make themselves the center of the entire operation. 

Yes, hard to see GD letting go. But the key part of yesterday's article, to me, is this part. Bold mine:

The billionaire says nothing would make him happier than ETNZ raising its own funds.

"But if Grant Dalton and Team NZ don't want to do that or can't do that then I am happy to do that. In this context, it seems most donors are happy to put in funds providing Grant Dalton is not involved," Dunphy said.

"That wasn't my starting position but it is now. If Grant doesn't want to or can't raise the money, I will do it. The same position applies to Grant's ongoing involvement with the team, if he doesn't want to manage the cup here, I believe there are others who will do it and can do so just as well or better."

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
9 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That is only the tip of the iceberg I think!

I firmly believe the NYYC wants to be the Challenger of Record to push through their frivolous Challenge they announced a few months ago. NYYC just got ticked off ETNZ choose INEOS/RYS!

NYYC does not want to be the COR, what Commodore Culver wants is some consistency in the sport and some spending caps so that more teams can play.  Culver is not well liked within the NYYC and his term ends at the end of this year.

Just now, Chobani Sailor said:

NYYC does not want to be the COR, what Commodore Culver wants is some consistency in the sport and some spending caps so that more teams can play.  Culver is not well liked within the NYYC and his term ends at the end of this year.

Spending Caps would be the worst thing! We have consistency with SAILGP. We don't need another SAILGP which is then called the America's Cup!

The AC needs to be where it is now!

• Like 1
Just now, Chobani Sailor said:

Is it still the Prada Cup for AC37 or was it a one cup Title Sponsor?

To my knowledge PRADA was a one-time Cup Title Sponsor which basically flew off the wayside the moment the Kiwis won the Final Race.

Many assumed Ratcliffe & INEOS would sponsor the CSS for AC37!

2 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Spending Caps would be the worst thing! We have consistency with SAILGP. We don't need another SAILGP which is then called the America's Cup!

You couldn't even control the spending caps.  Teams would find ways around it and you couldn't actually accurately enforce it.

• Like 1

@Stingray~Interesting that Mark Dunphy believes, "...there are others who will do it [manage the Cup] and can do so just as well or better [than GD]." I'd love to see his candidate list.

I also wonder if his definition of 'manage' includes a successful defence?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

@Stingray~Interesting that Mark Dunphy believes, "...there are others who will do it [manage the Cup] and can do so just as well or better [than GD]." I'd love to see his candidate list.

You want my opinion on this: I think Dunphy is talking nonsense!

If he has a list why not release it?

36 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Maybe the sponsorship deal with Emirates fell short when the ACWS events all got cancelled?

You think that there weren't clauses in the contracts that provided an out if something like Covid-19 occurred?

The only area that Emirates would have failed to meet their own revenue targets would have been from the limitations in air travel and tourism to and from NZ.  Arguably from a marketing perspective the global coverage that Emirates got while the world had nothing much else to watch must have met or exceeded their goals.

5 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

No idea his candidate list either. Fay, Butterworth, RC, Shoebie? 

You'd think that, since they want the Defense held in Auckland that yes, they'd want a successful one to ensure a next time too.

Like with the pretty-late Cork attempt (lots to go there, seems to me..) and the non-existent Valencia supposed attempt, this NZ attempt seems way too late too. GD must surely have a Jeddah deal up his sleeve, or how else can they make a venue announcement 2 weeks from now?

48 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Having said that, it sounds like the potential Challengers(LR, AM and Alinghy) are getting together telling GD they will boycott AC37 if it is in the Middle East. 

Who cares?  ETNZ have a challenger of record - the next AC is in motion.  Just needs a venue.  If any other potential challengers want to sulk and lose ground on foiling mono-hull development then let them.  The AC has evolved and devolved relative to the wider political and economic environment since 1851.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Who cares?  ETNZ have a challenger of record - the next AC is in motion.  Just needs a venue.  If any other potential challengers want to sulk and lose ground on foiling mono-hull development then let them.  The AC has evolved and devolved relative to the wider political and economic environment since 1851.

Agreed! These are just some shenanigans by Dunphy in a last ditch effort to keep the Cup in NZ.

OTUSA did face some backslash over moving the Cup to Bermuda. It didn't stop it!

8 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Russell. He has certainly done it before. :lol:

:D Yes, and he'd likely bring $Billions to the table too. But it sure seems like he has moved on.

Is there an opportunity for Bertarelli to step in here? 

38 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Dunphy seems to be full of shit.  This is the front page of his company website - Greymouth Petroleum.

http://www.greymouthpetroleum.nz/

Fruitless, litigious, duplitious 

https://www.nbr.co.nz/tags/greymouth-petroleum

lets see if @Stingray~ can start putting the pieces together :-)

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

You think that there weren't clauses in the contracts that provided an out if something like Covid-19 occurred?

The only area that Emirates would have failed to meet their own revenue targets would have been from the limitations in air travel and tourism to and from NZ.  Arguably from a marketing perspective the global coverage that Emirates got while the world had nothing much else to watch must have met or exceeded their goals.

Performance related payments dont have a force majeure clause. You meet the target or you don't get the bonus. Simple.

And if the performance target was based on TV and/or live viewing numbers over all of the events then TNZ would have lost out very badly

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

I believe too that HR did some consulting for AM but the potential litigation parties here appear to all be NZers. It could be that he is among those supporting them in it, as a legal consultant.

Like a lot of people, Hamish Ross and Ehman have both worked for everyone under the sun in the AC at one time or another. Ehman has worked for NYYC, SDYC, GGYC, AC management, and others. Ross for NZ, Alinghi, AC race management, and others.

You have no idea whose agenda they might represent at any point in time. I’ve worked with and against both of them at various times for decades.

As we used to say in my little corner of that universe, “take nothing at face value.”

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Performance related payments dont have a force majeure clause. You meet the target or you don't get the bonus. Simple.

And if the performance target was based on TV and/or live viewing numbers over all of the events then TNZ would have lost out very badly

FFS good luck to Emirates if they want to pursue legal action.  It would backfire on them hugely.  No doubt the NZ Government and Auckland would be respondents in any case as well.  TNZ is a separate entity to the organisation that ran the event.  The speculation is just typical TE bullshit.

7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Why on earth would I be a Dunphy admirer or booster? 

What I do like, is the possible way forward to an NZ Defense... In NZ...

But it isn't a "possible way forward".  It has no chance of getting off the ground if the person leading it is Dunphy.  According to TNZ the ball is in Dunphy's court and he has no chance of getting rid of Dalton.  Another reason why he has not chance of funding a NZ defense in NZ.

6 minutes ago, accnick said:

Like a lot of people, Hamish Ross and Ehman have both worked for everyone under the sun in the AC at one time or another. Ehman has worked for NYYC, SDYC, GGYC, AC management, and others. Ross for NZ, Alinghi, AC race management, and others.

You have no idea whose agenda they might represent at any point in time. I’ve worked with and against both of them at various times for decades.

As we used to say in my little corner of that universe, “take nothing at face value.”

Agree.

One of the interesting things about watching conversations between TE and HR about the (for example) possible challenge to the legality of RYSL is precisely because they were both key players, working for opposite interests, in the CNEV case. Even then, they remained friends throughout. 

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Agree.

One of the interesting things about watching conversations between TE and HR about the (for example) possible challenge to the legality of RYSL is precisely because they were both key players, working for opposite interests, in the CNEV case. Even then, they remained friends throughout. 

“Friends” in this game is a very fluid term. 

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Bullet points from whatever sources TE is hearing from, shown during Sailing Illustrated today. 

538E9452-9430-4F83-9425-2E0922B65A13.thumb.jpeg.65bbea3880dee209a3b465f9985d05c0.jpeg04F81DA7-E4AF-4DC5-9631-4B1B1B161293.thumb.jpeg.236119f6858d31d4a3883c92ea1892d0.jpegD3B978B9-3BCE-4988-9A7F-E2293D68DED0.thumb.jpeg.c7a513ba879fdf7b2420bffc7740341e.jpeg

The issue of the validity of RYS, Ltd. cannot be resolved in the NZ courts as this says. That is a Deed issue that must be resolved in the NY courts.

If they have that basic point wrong, why should I even consider the rest?

47 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Why on earth would you give a rats arse whether a NZL defence was actually held in NZL, Stinger? Askin for a friend. :-)

10 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Why on earth would you give a rats arse whether a NZL defence was actually held in NZL, Stinger? Askin for a friend. :-)

If the alternative is Jeddah then that is why a give a rat's arse... I have been to 3 AC's and was planning to go to AC36 in Auckland before the shit hit the fan. But I have zero interest in spending any time in Jeddah. Auckland, Cork, Valencia, Sardegna, yay! Did you see the photo RG ran in his 'Jeddah boosting' article? Yikes... 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

If the alternative is Jeddah then that is why a give a rat's arse... I have been to 3 AC's and was planning to go to AC36 in Auckland before the shit hit the fan. But I have zero interest in spending any time in Jeddah. Auckland, Cork, Valencia, Sardegna, yay! Did you see the photo RG ran in his 'Jeddah boosting' article? Yikes... 

So entirely driven by self-interest.  Mmmmm I think TNZ is more focussed on defending the Cup and extending the development of the foiling-monohull than the scenery.

13 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Oh, it was actually from here. Why are the women forced to dress like that, on a trip to the freaking beach??? It's medieval and I want NO PART OF IT.

1630125586252.jpg (1420×798) (stuff.co.nz)

1630125586252.jpg?format=pjpg&optimize=medium

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

So entirely driven by self-interest. 

Not sure about you but yes, I do actually choose where and how to spend my money. It's a lot like voting.. You do realize that 17 of the 19 Sep 11 2001 Al Qaeda hijackers were Saudi, right? Is that any culture you want to go support and contribute to? Why do it? Too many anti-western jihadi-types there, that photo is an almost-perfect illustration of it.

8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Not sure about you but yes, I do actually choose where and how to spend my money. It's a lot like voting.. You do realize that 17 of the 19 Sep 11 2001 Al Qaeda hijackers were Saudi, right? Is that any culture you want to go support and contribute to? Why do it?

Hmmm. Using that logic, I guess you'd never own a German auto, right?

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I actually love Germany and have been there many-many times. 

Jeddah is a LOT f’ing different.. Go if you want to but it’s not for me. 

1 hour ago, accnick said:

I would add to this that the only safe bet is that neither is currently employed in any official capacity with a team as no team would allow an employee to get on that show and say the stuff they do.

Also, Hamish's record at correctly advising people on what is and isn't legal under the deed is...uneven.

45 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Stupid analogy. The Germans aren't fascists anymore. The Saudi's are still shitbags.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

The ends don't always justify the means...

49 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

They were Al Qaeda.  Al Qaeda can be any nationality.

According to an ex UK commander the new Afghan situation puts Saudi on the spot for insurgency. Earlier this year Houthi carried out a massive aerial attack involving 15 drones and 2 ballistic missiles. They also attacked Saudi military positions in Khamis Mushait and Jazan areas, southwest the kingdom, with 5 Qasef-2K drones and 2 Badr-1 missiles. The Saudi couldn't do anything about it and their army is useless, they lost three brigades 2019 in their own territory. Running a high profile event at Jeddah is asking for trouble. Houthi's can pretty much roam at will in Saudi territory and that's before we even get to Al Qaeda who are now firmly ensconced in Afghanistan.

17 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

According to an ex UK commander the new Afghan situation puts Saudi on the spot for insurgency. Earlier this year Houthi carried out a massive aerial attack involving 15 drones and 2 ballistic missiles. They also attacked Saudi military positions in Khamis Mushait and Jazan areas, southwest the kingdom, with 5 Qasef-2K drones and 2 Badr-1 missiles. The Saudi couldn't do anything about it and their army is useless, they lost three brigades 2019 in their own territory. Running a high profile event at Jeddah is asking for trouble. Houthi's can pretty much roam at will in Saudi territory.

That's a better reason for not having it in Jeddah compared to @Stingray~'s historical gripe and self interest.

2 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

That's a better reason for not having it in Jeddah compared to @Stingray~'s historical gripe and self interest.

Yep and you mentioning of Al Qaeda who, as we speak, are returning key commanders to Afghanistan. And we know where they stand on the Saudi royal family.

7 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

A spending CAP has made F1 more interesting, if it’s worked for them, can’t see why it wouldn’t work for the AC.

There you have it, could not have said it any better myself (sic ;)).

Had been wondering if there would be any current member of ETNZ that would support that horse fucking Dunphy character.

I love smoked horse meat though.

4 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

They were Al Qaeda.  Al Qaeda can be any nationality.

But they were Saudi Mikey.

8 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Oh, it was actually from here. Why are the women forced to dress like that, on a trip to the freaking beach??? It's medieval and I want NO PART OF IT.

1630125586252.jpg (1420×798) (stuff.co.nz)

1630125586252.jpg?format=pjpg&optimize=medium

You could see similar scenes in the UK actually. Well, maybe not with those scrappy palm trees and the sky scrapers. You are drawing a lot of conclusions from someone else's dress code. I don't want to go on holiday to Jeddah either but I don't think that's got much to do with whether its right or wrong for TNZ or for the AC. 

It's bleeding obvious that other teams would not want it. What is financially most beneficial to TNZ is clearly not to their advantage. Other teams self-evidently would like AC37 in AUK and consequently TNZ stony broke.

4 hours ago, chesirecat said:

According to an ex UK commander the new Afghan situation puts Saudi on the spot for insurgency. Earlier this year Houthi carried out a massive aerial attack involving 15 drones and 2 ballistic missiles. They also attacked Saudi military positions in Khamis Mushait and Jazan areas, southwest the kingdom, with 5 Qasef-2K drones and 2 Badr-1 missiles. The Saudi couldn't do anything about it and their army is useless, they lost three brigades 2019 in their own territory. Running a high profile event at Jeddah is asking for trouble. Houthi's can pretty much roam at will in Saudi territory and that's before we even get to Al Qaeda who are now firmly ensconced in Afghanistan.

Read UK FCO guidance on travel to Saudi (for non-Brits, that's the official UK government advice). Other than near the Yemen border, it does not flag a high risk. If you want to stress about where there have been AQ attacks, New York, London and Paris would be no-go areas.

10 hours ago, accnick said:

You have no idea whose agenda they might represent at any point in time.

As far as Ehman goes, I don't think he has an agenda other than making his ho-hum tedium webcast a bit more interesting. That he is taking Wheatley's blog so seriously is to me a clear indication that he is by now well out of the loop on real information, as MW will write absolutely anything he thinks will generate a reaction.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

My husband's parents never would. The family that didn't get out were murdered in the Holocaust.

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

You could see similar scenes in the UK actually. Well, maybe not with those scrappy palm trees and the sky scrapers. You are drawing a lot of conclusions from someone else's dress code. I don't want to go on holiday to Jeddah either but I don't think that's got much to do with whether its right or wrong for TNZ or for the AC. 

It's bleeding obvious that other teams would not want it. What is financially most beneficial to TNZ is clearly not to their advantage. Other teams self-evidently would like AC37 in AUK and consequently TNZ stony broke.

It is not just a modest dress code. It's a system of law. Sharia is applied as national law. https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2020/country-chapters/saudi-arabia

If Team Dalton defends there karma is a bitch.

29 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

It is not just a modest dress code. 

Then it is even more absurd to believe, as SR appeared to do, that you can deduce what people think and believe by the way they dress.

48 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Then it is even more absurd to believe, as SR appeared to do, that you can deduce what people think and believe by the way they require women to dress and act.

Really. Just a cultural preference about women? Cool then. Fify.

Enjoy your time in KSA or watching events. You're male? No worries there. Just keep looking at the men on the pretty boats. Remember, alcohol and bad language prohibited. 

47 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Then it is even more absurd to believe, as SR appeared to do, that you can deduce what people think and believe by the way they dress.

If they are dressing pursuant to criminal law, you may be able to deduce what their government thinks and believes. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

FFS good luck to Emirates if they want to pursue legal action.  It would backfire on them hugely.  No doubt the NZ Government and Auckland would be respondents in any case as well.  TNZ is a separate entity to the organisation that ran the event.  The speculation is just typical TE bullshit.

I don't think you understand how contracts work. If TNZ have a contract with Emirates that had a performance based payment based on viewers (and I know we have little evidence either way but it is very plausible) then there is no force majeure and NZ govt and Aukland are unlikely to have anything to do with it. Even if that contract covered more than one AC it would still have left TNZ with a huge financial hole. It could explain their actions (though it's not the only explanation)

32 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

If they are dressing pursuant to criminal law, you may be able to deduce what their government thinks and believes. 

By all means. I've spent some time in Saudi on business and I've expressed elsewhere that I didn't like it one bit. But government and people are not the same thing, particularly in a country with no pretence to democracy.

WHAT CAN I SAY? I AM SPEECHLESS!

I am incredibly disappointed by Mark Dunphys and Tom Ehmans Actions! More disappointed in Ehman than in Dunphy.

For me TE's Actions during his Live Shows are downright bad and smell like revenge since when he was Vic-Commodore of the GGYC couldn't convince his own YC to hold AC35 on the US Mainland as they went to Bermuda anyways.

To Mister Dunphy: You need to cool off regarding Grant Dalton!!!

To all the Kiwis here on SA: Stick with Grant! He has done an awful lot for TNZ! Yes, I have critizised Dalton from time to time again too but I never demanded his Departure. I always stick to my German Sports Teams no matter if they have being going to hell or not.

Grant Daltons Accomplishments with TNZ over the last 18 years demands nothing but respect. I encourage you all to stick together! And then you will have AC Racing for AC38 in Auckland again. I would recommend INEOS to take the Cup back to Auckland if they are somehow successful in AC37!

• Like 1

Maybe it doesn't mean anything at all but one of the Big Four firms in Cork has been doing some preliminary compliance consulting work with one of the American teams over the past week or so.  They weren't sure if it was the NYYC or AM.  Either way, someone is beginning to do their homework.

5 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Maybe it doesn't mean anything at all but one of the Big Four firms in Cork has been doing some preliminary compliance consulting work with one of the American teams over the past week or so.  They weren't sure if it was the NYYC or AM.  Either way, someone is beginning to do their homework.

'Compliance' consulting? 

Anyway, here's hoping Cork is ahead of Jeddah in the line.

10 hours ago, dogwatch said:

As far as Ehman goes, I don't think he has an agenda other than making his ho-hum tedium webcast a bit more interesting.

The bullet points I posted are from shortly after this timestamp about an hour into yesterday's episode, uploaded to YT now.

The bullet point about Tindall is certainly misleading; hard to judge some of the others.

24 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

By subscription (anyone have one?) but it's a reasonable question

Why doesn’t Dalton want Dunphy’s dough? | BusinessDesk

I mean... without even reading.... because Dunphy has publicly said he doesn't want Dalton? We all know Dalts has enemies and he's kept the team running despite them... now the team is a success people want him gone? that sound like his jealous enemies that would rather see a team fail under their hands than succeed under his?

6 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

.. now the team is a success people want him gone?

Seems to me these donors want the event to stay in NZ, with or without GD in charge of the sponsorship responsibilities. Ideally, GD would have already approached some of them and done what he's supposed to do - raise that sponsorship.

34 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

By subscription (anyone have one?) but it's a reasonable question

Why doesn’t Dalton want Dunphy’s dough? | BusinessDesk

If I was to speculate, I'd say Dunphy has his own agenda - which has fuck all to do with mounting a successful Defence and everything to do with his pride.

2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

If I was to speculate, I'd say Dunphy has his own agenda - which has fuck all to do with mounting a successful Defence and everything to do with his pride.

Somehow I doubt Dunphy has ever had a boat nor a RNZYS membership.

All roads lead to Fagin Fay.

1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

Somehow I doubt Dunphy has ever had a boat nor a RNZYS membership.

All roads lead to Fagin Fay.

Agree, it's got that whiff about it.

3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I always stick to my German Sports Teams no matter if they have being going to hell or not.

And if those German teams decided Germany was no longer worth being in and shifted elsewhere in the world? Still give them the love?

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

My husband's parents never would. The family that didn't get out were murdered in the Holocaust.

I fully understand the thinking. My Step-grandmother would never entertain buying a Japanese car as her first husband was murdered by the Japs in the Pacific.

51 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The bullet points I posted are from shortly after this timestamp about an hour into yesterday's episode, uploaded to YT now.

The bullet point about Tindall is certainly misleading; hard to judge some of the others

A better link to that excerpt

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

The bullet point about Tindall is certainly misleading; hard to judge some of the others.

Hard to judge? 

you genuinely think the RYS is a scam corporation?  

34 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Seems to me these donors want the event to stay in NZ, with or without GD in charge of the sponsorship responsibilities. Ideally, GD would have already approached some of them and done what he's supposed to do - raise that sponsorship.

No these donors have said want Dalton gone, they've not mentioned the defence location. That says bad blood. We have no information on wether they have even spoken to him at all, in fact the publicly available information says they haven't because of their former position and spokesman. So far all we know is Dunphy wants to install a complicated tax avoidance structure to fund a new defence.

34 minutes ago, Gissie said:

And if those German teams decided Germany was no longer worth being in and shifted elsewhere in the world? Still give them the love?

Absolutely!