The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

59 minutes ago, Mudz said:

the proposed event will have multiple teams racing in 2 identical AC 75's. It is likely that they will be ENTZ boat 1 and the uncompleted S&S boat, both fitted with the same foils, controls, rigs etc. 

That could be a very boring format. I think you need similar but different boats to help mix it up a bit. If the boats are identical, then the boat that wins the first cross has too much control.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

The hypocrisy extends back to AC32 but I get your point.  The claim that the Kiwi’s care about sportsmanship and fairness was exposed as BS long ago.  WetHog  

Posted Images

13 hours ago, .......................... said:

I am hearing that the GBR’s Royal Yacht Squadron challenge is NOT INEOS, but is from another UK based billionaire, has anyone in the UK heard the same?

Mozzy Sails (actually, Tom's wife, one hears).

• Like 1

A lot of BS floating around in here.

What the Fck is taking them so long to announce the COR?

OK, NZ you are the care takers of the Cup for another round.... DO NOT FCK IT UP by playing games for profit.  It has been in existence for much longer than you have been a country.  You have the responsibility and obligation to treat it with respect and do what is best for the Cup.

1 minute ago, The_Alchemist said:

OK, NZ you are the care takers of the Cup for another round.... DO NOT FCK IT UP by playing games for profit.  It has been in existence for much longer than you have been a country.  You have the responsibility and obligation to treat it with respect and do what is best for the Cup.

Shut the fuck up dickhead.

8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Shut the fuck up dickhead.

Fuck, I can't believe it but I find myself in the position of agreeing with you.

9 hours ago, Forourselves said:

You do what you have to to win. Ben isn't a quitter. Its never okay to just give up when things don't favour you.

The only time when Ben actually thought about quitting Sailing altogether was when one of his good friends Andrew Simpson died in that tragic accident on May 9th 2013. Why? Because he was training with OTUSA's Boat 1 and saw this accident unravel before his very own eyes. Imagine how shocked you're gonna seeing this happening LIVE. That would throw almost everyone a little bit overboard.

14 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Dude you need to take a few days off.  They won on Wednesday. Today’s Friday. They need a few days to, you know, discuss shit. 

15 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

They will announce when they are ready to announce it. A little bit more patience is required here. I mean OTUSA won on Sept. 25th 2013 and didn't announce the HIYC until October 1st which was 6 Days after their victory.

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/521_CHALLENGE-ACCEPTED.html?fbclid=IwAR2WwThPFj44iq8yIquYhRDTJkbHZkzFDIbEg_ulxFGbT7_-DQ_qnujnpqQ

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

m4741_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

Emirates Team New Zealand is pleased to confirm that the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron has accepted a Notice of Challenge for the 37th America’s Cup (AC37) from the Royal Yacht Squadron Racing, represented by INEOS TEAM UK, which will act as the Challenger of Record for AC37.

"It has been agreed the AC75 Class shall remain the class of yacht for the next two America’s Cup cycles, and agreement to this is a condition of entry" 

Where are the haters that said the AC75 wouldn't last more than one cycle!?

Told ya so...

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/521_CHALLENGE-ACCEPTED.html?fbclid=IwAR2WwThPFj44iq8yIquYhRDTJkbHZkzFDIbEg_ulxFGbT7_-DQ_qnujnpqQ

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Emirates Team New Zealand is pleased to confirm that the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron has accepted a Notice of Challenge for the 37th America’s Cup (AC37) from the Royal Yacht Squadron Racing, represented by INEOS TEAM UK, which will act as the Challenger of Record for AC37.

WOW, check this out:

• A new Crew Nationality Rule will require 100% of the race crew for each competitor to either be a passport holder of the country the team’s yacht club as at 19 March 2021 or to have been physically present in that country (or, acting on behalf of such yacht club in Auckland, the venue of the AC36 Events) for two of the previous three years prior to 18 March 2021. As an exception to this requirement, there will be a discretionary provision allowing a quota of non-nationals on the race crew for competitors from “Emerging Nations”. 

ANOTHER BOMSHELL

AC75 Class for the next two America's Cup Cycles. To have an AC75 Class Boat is a Condition of Entry.

Folks, this is going to be GOOOODDD!

7 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

WOW, check this out:

• A new Crew Nationality Rule will require 100% of the race crew for each competitor to either be a passport holder of the country the team’s yacht club as at 19 March 2021 or to have been physically present in that country (or, acting on behalf of such yacht club in Auckland, the venue of the AC36 Events) for two of the previous three years prior to 18 March 2021. As an exception to this requirement, there will be a discretionary provision allowing a quota of non-nationals on the race crew for competitors from “Emerging Nations”. 

Another bullshit clause, the AC is a design race not a sailor one. I am more interested to know who Guillaume Verdier will be working for.

• Downvote 2
Just now, mako23 said:

The anti EB rule has come into effect

Also only one boat per syndicate 

Bullshit, Switzerland has excellent sailors, and again, the designer makes the difference, not the crew.

2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Another bullshit clause, the AC is a design race not a sailor one. I am more interested to know who Guillaume Verdier will be working for.

I’m sure the RNZYS will take your concerns to heart

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Why? You have an obsession with GV. 

• Like 1
Just now, Tornado-Cat said:

Bullshit, Switzerland has excellent sailors, and again, the designer makes the difference, not the crew.

Did you actually watch the America’s Cup final.....crew work is super essential in these boats 

Yep Dan Bernasconi made a huge difference!

21 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Either the rule changes or they are free to sail with a slower boat than the smaller F50s.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Why? You have an obsession with GV. 

These National Clauses are ok in my view. Finally this shopping around gets at least trimmed out a bit.

Because he the one at the origin of the AC75, the reason you pound your chest. Break you arm :)

Nah, he just did what he was told by Dan. 

Yes, and you could have changed the crew for the same results.

Are you saying Dean Barkers crew could've produced the same result in that boat? Be careful how you answer that question...

8 minutes ago, amc said:

I wonder if Jimmy can sail for LRPP

Really got no choice and the same for LR, unless there is an Aussie Challenge. 

I suspect Jimmy will be with LR .....he did a good job 

5 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Either the rule changes or they are free to sail with a slower boat than the smaller F50s.

The Class rule will evolve, but its still the AC75 class.

9 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Yes only one new boat. Existing teams can still bench mark against their old boats - so a big advantage for them.

8 minutes ago, mako23 said:

The anti EB rule has come into effect

I think this is more a "keep the team together without spending squillions" rule than specifically anti EB. Pete, Blair and the rest of the team have just seen their value plummet in the labour market. Team NZ can probably pick up Nathan Outteridge for a cheap price too...

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Yep Dan Bernasconi made a huge difference!

Absolutely!

What I find more interesting is that if you want to challenge you have to agree to have the AC75 Class for the next two Cup Cycles meaning once you enter you can't change the Boat Class if you win. This is really well thought out I think!

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Are you saying Dean Barkers crew could've produced the same result in that boat? Be careful how you answer that question...

American Magic with two old men in charge of the boat 

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Yes, hated by a few cunts, if he had a faster boat he would have won.

• Downvote 1

For those who'd like to read the full statement right here:

Auckland, New Zealand - 19th March 2021

“The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron have received and accepted a challenge for the 37th America’s Cup from our long-standing British friends at Royal Yacht Squadron Racing.” Said Aaron Young – RNZYS Commodore. “It is great to once again have the RYSR involved, given they were the first yacht club that presented this trophy over 170 years ago, which really started the legacy of the America’s Cup.  Along with Emirates Team New Zealand, we look forward to working through the details of the next event with them. “ 

A Protocol Governing AC37 will be published within eight months including the provisions outlined in this release. 

• It has been agreed the AC75 Class shall remain the class of yacht for the next two America’s Cup cycles, and agreement to this is a condition of entry.  
  • The teams will be restricted to building only one new AC75 for the next event. 
  • A single Event Authority will be appointed to be responsible for the conduct of all racing and the management of commercial activities relating to AC37. 
  • The Defender and the Challenger of Record, will be investigating and agreeing a meaningful package of campaign cost reduction measures including measures to attract a higher number of Challengers and to assist with the establishment of new teams. 
  • There are a number of different options but it is intended that the Venue for the Match will be determined within six months and the dates of racing announced in the Protocol, if not before.  

“The 37th America’s Cup effectively starts the moment the team crossed the finish line on Wednesday afternoon,” said Emirates Team New Zealand CEO Grant Dalton.

“It is very exciting to have a new Challenger of Record to continue to build the scale of the America’s Cup globally. The AC75’s and the unprecedented broadcast reach of the exciting racing from Auckland’s stunning Waitemata harbour have really put Auckland and the America’s Cup at the forefront of international sport.”

• Like 1

Yes

Then you're either doing a really bad job of trolling, or you're a complete idiot. They couldn't even sail their own boat to its potential, let alone Te Rehutai.

Either way, you're still an idiot lol

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

FIFY

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Nah, he just did what he was told by Dan. 

How could Verdier do what Dan was telling him, he invented the boat, gave ideas and was consulted every time they made a move.

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Then you're either doing a really bad job of trolling, or you're a complete idiot. They couldn't even sail their own boat to its potential, let alone Te Rehutai.

Either way, you're still an idiot lol

What is funny with some of you kiwis (not all) is that if we contradict we are a troll. Ah ah, shows how thin skinned you are. :)

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

How could Verdier do what Dan was telling him, he invented the boat, gave ideas and was consulted every time they made a move.

Link to where GV "invented the AC75" 

I’d be surprised if the USA will challenge in the AC37. However I’d happily be wrong and I’m sure they will be made to feel  welcome. 

Get informed, I posted the story in another thread.

We're not in another thread. You said it in this thread so Post it here or STFU.

4 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

For those who'd like to read the full statement right here:

Auckland, New Zealand - 19th March 2021

“The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron have received and accepted a challenge for the 37th America’s Cup from our long-standing British friends at Royal Yacht Squadron Racing.” Said Aaron Young – RNZYS Commodore. “It is great to once again have the RYSR involved, given they were the first yacht club that presented this trophy over 170 years ago, which really started the legacy of the America’s Cup.  Along with Emirates Team New Zealand, we look forward to working through the details of the next event with them. “ 

A Protocol Governing AC37 will be published within eight months including the provisions outlined in this release. 

• It has been agreed the AC75 Class shall remain the class of yacht for the next two America’s Cup cycles, and agreement to this is a condition of entry.  
  • The teams will be restricted to building only one new AC75 for the next event. 
  • A single Event Authority will be appointed to be responsible for the conduct of all racing and the management of commercial activities relating to AC37. 
  • The Defender and the Challenger of Record, will be investigating and agreeing a meaningful package of campaign cost reduction measures including measures to attract a higher number of Challengers and to assist with the establishment of new teams. 
  • There are a number of different options but it is intended that the Venue for the Match will be determined within six months and the dates of racing announced in the Protocol, if not before.  

“The 37th America’s Cup effectively starts the moment the team crossed the finish line on Wednesday afternoon,” said Emirates Team New Zealand CEO Grant Dalton.

“It is very exciting to have a new Challenger of Record to continue to build the scale of the America’s Cup globally. The AC75’s and the unprecedented broadcast reach of the exciting racing from Auckland’s stunning Waitemata harbour have really put Auckland and the America’s Cup at the forefront of international sport.”

This is the clause I found most interesting:

There are a number of different options but it is intended that the Venue for the Match will be determined within six months and the dates of racing announced in the Protocol, if not before.  

Plenty of wriggle room in this statement1

39 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

"It has been agreed the AC75 Class shall remain the class of yacht for the next two America’s Cup cycles, and agreement to this is a condition of entry" 

Told ya so...

I guess it took them a while to confirm that RYS is a legit yacht club ;)

• Like 1

I see they have brought in a waiver program in regards to nationality for Emerging Nations. A good idea, but what qualifies as an “emerging nation”

or to have been physically present in that country (or, acting on behalf of such yacht club in Auckland, the venue of the AC36 Events) for two of the previous three years prior to 18 March 2021

That means Jimmy is safe at Luna Rossa and Deano can have another crack with NYYC. That leaves room for an Aussie challenge with Nathan at the helm. 

1 minute ago, southseasbill said:

"or, acting on behalf of such yacht club in Auckland, the venue of the AC36 Events"

Looks like Jimmy gets a pass.

As a kiwi it hurts to say this.....but Jimmy sailed to a high standard. He’s a top flight helmsman 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah ah, you don't read other thread isn't it ? :)

TC what is your problem.....nobody reads all the threads and remembers all the content. 

6 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I see they have brought in a waiver program in regards to nationality for Emerging Nations. A good idea, but what qualifies as an “emerging nation”

Emerging Nation = Japan, China for example

Similar to SailGP. Nathan could sail with Goobs & Luke Parkinson in Season 1 but had to come up with some Japanese Sailors in Season 2.

17 minutes ago, mako23 said:

They couldn’t even sail properly and hence broke their boat

AM was perhaps the fastest boat of the fleet but we will never know, they had vibrations in the rudder that prevented them to show the potential of the boat.

1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Emerging Nation = Japan, China for example

Similar to SailGP. Nathan could sail with Goobs & Luke Parkinson in Season 1 but had to come up with some Japanese Sailors in Season 2.

Your logic has merit, but even as a kiwi I know that GD will ruthlessly play with the rules to hinder a certain individual. 

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

AM was perhaps the fastest boat of the fleet but we will never know, they had vibrations in the rudder that prevented them to show the potential of the boat.

AM had good speed over 16 knots, but would have struggled racing in the light conditions that prevailed during the Prada and AC finals. 

1 minute ago, mako23 said:

TC what is your problem.....nobody reads all the threads and remembers all the content. 

Go and see the translation of the Guillaume Verdier interview in Boat and foil comparison. But this is not new, it's common knowledge. One day Ray Davis asked GV to design a foiler for a private person and he came back with the drawing, the private did not buy because too expensive. Ray came back to GV before the last AC.

1 minute ago, mako23 said:

AM had good speed over 16 knots, but would have struggled racing in the light conditions that prevailed during the Prada and AC finals. 

They shared very small foils with TNZ but could not exploit it for the above mentioned reasons.

7 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Of course we know. They were tapped out on speed and handling and lost every race. 

This is particularly encouraging "and to assist with the establishment of new teams"

Hopefully software simulation packages. That would save around 40 mill plus.

Interesting.  " but it is intended that the Venue for the Match will be determined within six months".

17 minutes ago, mako23 said:

As a kiwi it hurts to say this.....but Jimmy sailed to a high standard. He’s a top flight helmsman 

Yeah, it's hard to imagine an Americas Cup regatta without him now. Mind you thought that once about Dennis Connor but JS/PB/BT etc are younger than DC ever was in the cup I suspect

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Surely it would be a country that has not had a team entered in an AC regatta. 

18 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I read in the news they were the first team to be eliminated.

AC75 for three more cycles! By the end of the class, there may be used ones for sale. A converted AC75 to a light weight cruiser with all electric drives may one day blow the Auckland to Suva record.

24 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The most important thing: AC75 Racing over the next two Cup Cycles and it is a condition of Entry!

If a team apart from the Poms enter and then win I am sure they could change to another class if they so desired.  And the NY courts would agree.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Told ya so...

What the fuck?

I'm sorry but how is making acceptance of entry based on AC75 any better than what Orifice and co did in Bermuda?

This is disgraceful. Any other Kiwis willng to voice this opinion?

• Like 7
34 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I’d be surprised if the USA will challenge in the AC37. However I’d happily be wrong and I’m sure they will be made to feel  welcome. 

Well, the door is wide open.  NYYC missed out on first place in the queue and now they can just join the parade of hopeful challengers.  Currently there is no time constraint on mixing with the hopefuls in the future COR series.

I'd say they've got at least until the publication of the new Protocol in six or eight months from now.

Lots of questions though. Will the two max-boat principals stick together, or will one go it alone?  Will Terry continue as their CEO/Skipper?  Do they still want Deano?

With all their investments in Bristol, RI, Florida and here, plus and a healthy taste of Kiwi conditions and hospitality, will they chuck it all in?

My guess is that Doug deVos will be back for more, Beyond that, who knows!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

What the fuck?

I'm sorry but how is making acceptance of entry based on AC75 any better than what Orifice and co did in Bermuda?

This is disgraceful. Any other Kiwis willng to voice this opinion?

I like the AC75.....however if someone won the cup, they could easily rewrite the rules. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, trt131 said:

If a team apart from the Poms enter and then win I am sure they could change to another class if they so desired.  And the NY courts would agree.

Yeah, that could be a curly one!

But if the Protocol provision to come is a set-up, a precursor to a Cowe's one-on-one match preceding an Auckland event with multiple challengers, What then?

4 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I like the AC75.....however if someone won the cup, they could easily rewrite the rules. 

More importantly it is hypocritical of Etnz to do this after having a weapons grade whinge fest over Orifice trying to do it.

Disgraceful.

• Like 3