The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

The simple reality is that the AC is not as valuable as we would like to think. In the middle of a global pandemic, most countries have higher priorities. I’m not surprised from the lack of bids. Other countries are not as crazy about the AC as we in NZ. 
The best foot forward is a low cost AC. One boat per syndicate and a limit on team size to keep costs down. If F1 can bring in a cost cap there’s no reason why the AC can’t. 
Im sure most punters here would hate the idea, but the world has changed. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Hamish Ross and the Discrimination Issue: This will be long, pedantic, and legal.  I apologize for the length; read at your own risk. Hamish Ross has recently claimed on multiple occasion

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

I think it's time we put 4 out of misery: as any European knows there is one clear test of whether your country is in Europe: does it take part in the Eurovision song contest. Which is why as everyone

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, mako23 said:

The simple reality is that the AC is not as valuable as we would like to think. In the middle of a global pandemic, most countries have higher priorities. I’m not surprised from the lack of bids. Other countries are not as crazy about the AC as we in NZ. 
The best foot forward is a low cost AC. One boat per syndicate and a limit on team size to keep costs down. If F1 can bring in a cost cap there’s no reason why the AC can’t. 
Im sure most punters here would hate the idea, but the world has changed. 

Surely Auckland, with the perfect AC setup already built, provides for that? Cheerist, they sunk hundreds of NZ$M's into bringing all that forward! 

Countries like Ireland are today facing bringing much different things forward instead, obviously, as you point out too.

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

True, but there has been no suggestion so far that Dunphy is interested in any of that. It was just ETNZ's lawyer Russell Greene who went ballistic on some 'corporate takeover' rant.  

MOF, who are TNZ’s current shareholders?

11 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Yes, an interesting subject and a bit obscure. Hamish Ross explained it once on Sailing Illustrated, Matteo was listed as the head honcho of whatever the entity is, GD may have been on the board too. I think there were only 3. 

From a widely run AP article, this one at New Zealanders delay choice of venue for 37th America’s Cup | Charlotte Observer

The search for offshore venues began earlier this year after Emirates Team New Zealand failed to reach agreement with national and local governments on funding for a regatta in Auckland.

The New Zealand Government and the Auckland City Council have offered the syndicate 99 million New Zealand dollars ($70 million) to stage the defense of the oldest trophy in international sports in Auckland. But ETNZ, which defended the trophy in Auckland earlier this year, is reported to be seeking almost twice that amount to keep the event in New Zealand.

ETNZ boss Grant Dalton said it was “frustrating” not to have a hosting deal in place.

“As we have always maintained throughout, however unlikely it seemed, Auckland has never been off the table for obvious reasons,” Dalton added. “So now that we finally have an 11th hour letter from Mr. Dunphy, it would be remiss of us not to explore the viability of an Auckland event and if it in fact can be fully and completely funded locally. To date there has been no evidence of this being the case.”

41 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Surely Auckland, with the perfect AC setup already built, provides for that? Cheerist, they sunk hundreds of NZ$M's into bringing all that forward! 

Countries like Ireland are today facing bringing much different things forward instead, obviously, as you point out too.

After all these years, you think the 'cost' of an AC is in the infrastructure provided by the host? This whole issue is due to team budgets for development, not about sheds, cranes and carparks.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

After all these years, you think the 'cost' of an AC is in the infrastructure provided by the host? This whole issue is due to team budgets for development, not about sheds, cranes and carparks.

We both hope that would be the case but look at it: Valencia got saddled by over E2B in debts, Ireland is somehow facing E100M in AC-unrelated shit that has lower priority than in building 30,000 houses in a post-pandemic crippled-economy situation, Spain with fuck-all interest in building infrastructure to cater to a sailboat race, let alone in paying for GD & Co's 'NZ' gig either? It's a VERY hard sell. 

Auckland has all the beautiful setup already, so let's go with the simpler 'Let's rock the boats' instead.

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

I prefer Dunphy's approach: Just win the damn thing here again where the Cup Match belongs

Ha. Is that the Dunphy approach? Good to know, Stinger.

20 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Ha. Is that the Dunphy approach? Good to know, Stinger.

Look, I apologize to all here who may feel like I flood-posted too often today. It was a potentially big date in AC37. Yes, the postponement became obvious to the closest followers here, but it was interesting reading anyway when that inevitable non-announcement happened.

20 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I prefer Dunphy's approach: Just win the damn thing here again where the Cup Match belongs

Surely you as an NZer hope this works out well? The guy is trying to make it happen, surely he deserves at least some f'ing credit?

• Like 2

It is perfectly clear that Dunphy and Dalton have a well developed mutual loathing. It is also highly plausible that team IP is owned by TNZ and it is easily confirmed that Dalton is a shareholder and director of that company.

I don’t see much prospect of a marriage made in heaven here.

• Like 1

"to explore the viability of an Auckland event and if it in fact can be fully and completely funded locally."

Herein lies the problem. There is no real problem with the 'event' being funded. Anyone that believes it will cost 200 million to run the event is just crazy.

The reality appears to be that the team wants most of their team costs to be covered, as well as the event. There is no way the government,
or council, could justify paying out directly to a pro team. Especially one that thought it could make unreasonable demands with the threat that they would take their cup elsewhere if not indulged.

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

All the details here, since 1993

https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/582931

And a lot of documents

https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/582931/documents

Plus there is the TNZL Nominee Limited 

https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/8152654

36 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Look, I apologize to all here who may feel like I flood-posted too often today. It was a potentially big date in AC37. Yes, the postponement became obvious to the closest followers here, but it was interesting reading anyway when that inevitable non-announcement happened.

Surely you as an NZer hope this works out well? The guy is trying to make it happen, surely he deserves at least some f'ing credit?

Firstly, there's no reason you need to apologise for adding content. In fact, I appreciate the way you do this.  We're all happy to give our 2 cents worth, but not too many of us take the time to find and post content. I even like one or two of your ideas and thinking. ;-)

Secondly, no - I do not hope Dunphy's approach to TNZ works out. What I hope for, is that TNZ finds enough budget to ensure a successful AC37 Defence. If that involves Dunphy, a bunch of Leprechauns, or some filthy rich Arabs, so be it.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I do not hope Dunphy's approach to TNZ works out

Care to elaborate on the problem with MD's approach? The guy who has for years avoided any limelight but is offering to raise NZD$10M's and has been asked to front this damn thing at the request of Fay and others? They guy with a quiet Kiwi confidence they can make this happen? I hope it DOES work work out - for everyone! Jeezus, who the the hell else is at the otherwise-empty Poker table? The hoped-for game never happened, it is GD hoping to talk to the card dealer at this point..

The dealer knows by now that you have no hand, and nothing up your sleeve. 

• Like 1

This is going to end with somebody blowing out a TNZ that is a complete shell of itself, if they don't implode completely before the defense can take place. 

I think Dunphy is full of shit and won't be able to raise anywhere close to what's needed, but if there's no venue willing to pay a host fee, what other option is there?

31 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Care to elaborate on the problem with MD's approach?

Spinray, you really are so fucking naive that it's not funny anymore. 

Beats you contemplating going to a Covid BBQ party, by golly!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, idontwan2know said:

think Dunphy is full of shit and won't be able to raise anywhere close to what's needed, but if there's no venue willing to pay a host fee, what other option is there?

Agree. But it's a good IF. Dunphy (Mark Dunphy, right? maybe we can use MD) and whatever backers (carrot and stick approach with the rumored lawsuits in the wings) could very well be GD's best option at this point. 

Care to elaborate on the problem with MD's approach? The guy who has for years avoided any limelight but is offering to raise NZD$10M's and has been asked to front this damn thing at the request of Fay and others? They guy with a quiet Kiwi confidence they can make this happen? I hope it DOES work work out - for everyone! Jeezus, who the the hell else is at the otherwise-empty Poker table? The hoped-for game never happened, it is GD hoping to talk to the card dealer at this point..

The dealer knows by now that you have no hand, and nothing up your sleeve. 

Let's just say, there will likely be strings attached. Could TNZ live with them?

First off, Dunphy wanted GD's head. So then (after a fairly direct, 'fuck off' from the team) it wasn't him who wanted GD's head after all, but a few of his nameless backers. He then supposedly dumps the head-hunters and finds replacements who are OK with GD staying on - so long as he has nothing to do with the finances....and that the head-hunting wasn't his idea anyway. All the while, he leaks the whole sorry shitskriege to the press and refuses (or more likely can't) supply details of his offer to TNZ, despite their several requests. 

So far, a monumental a fuckup. Can't say I'm liking his approach much at all. Not doing so well in the 'trust' department was he?

IF and it's a big fucking IF, Dunphy's proposal is worth following up (TNZ now has some detail to evaluate, I believe) and in the absence of a better offer (which is now looking increasingly unlikely) maybe they can negotiate how they can live with each other.

But, as you well know, Stinger in this game, even the best of relationships can turn to shit. But at least, most of those relationships started out in good faith. This possible one - not so much IMO.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

But, as you well know, Stinger in this game, even the best of relationships can turn to shit. But at least, most of those relationships started out in good faith. This possible one - not so much IMO.

You recounted the press impressions well but I do suspect that ETNZ's response was overtly-incendiary compared to what what MD actually said even initially.

Yes, it may be true that relationships will cause this to fail but: I definitely hope cooler heads and logic prevail instead. MD has so far kept a pretty good cool.

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

You recounted the press impressions well but I do suspect that ETNZ's response was overtly-incendiary compared to what what MD actually said even initially.

Yes, it may be true that relationships will cause this to fail but: I definitely hope cooler heads and logic prevail instead. 

Well hopefully they don't listen to your advice.

5 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

suspect that ETNZ's response was overtly-incendiary compared to what what MD actually said even initially.

Really?  Wasn't it Dunphy that went to press saying Dalton needed to go?  How "overtly-incendiary" would you call that?

Also was Dunphys claim that the RNZYS had approved him as chief fund raiser correct or bluster?

9 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Wasn't it Dunphy that went to press saying Dalton needed to go?  How "overtly-incendiary" would you call that?

Dunphy said some of his funders wanted GD excluded from running the next Auckland event-side of things, yes. Seemed pretty reasonable, given the $3M siphoned off to ETNZ for their own budget (design?) and the apparent f'up with another $3M to 'Hungary.' That's a lotta moolah!  Should have been spent on the event as had been intended.

If you are saying that calling GD out for that should destroy NZ's chances to host at home, well then good luck to you, I guess.. 

Latest TV3 News has Dunphy saying he will not disclose who the financial backers are. GD says no deal unless donors are identifiable. I'll try and post a transcript.

Negotiations seem to be progressing well. ;-)

27 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Latest TV3 News has Dunphy saying he will not disclose who the financial backers are. GD says no deal unless donors are identifiable. I'll try and post a transcript.

Negotiations seem to be progressing well. ;-)

Weird. Why should GD have to give a F about the finite details of where all the MD money is coming from? Just take it for crissakes, what the hell else is out there? Get that new AC75 into the works, let them take care of the number of spectator bathrooms..

19 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Weird. Why should GD have to give a F about the finite details of where all the MD money is coming from? 

That for you is the weird part? Not the desire to have 'mystery' backers?

You continue to bemuse...

1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Really?  Wasn't it Dunphy that went to press saying Dalton needed to go?  How "overtly-incendiary" would you call that?

Also was Dunphys claim that the RNZYS had approved him as chief fund raiser correct or bluster?

It was GD that went to the press eluding to some kind of financial offer from parties yet to be disclosed and called it out as a tax dodge and a scam that he wanted nothing to do with 

THEN MD went and said GD could fuck off… AFTER GD had made him a cunt in the press. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Forourselves said:
16 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Do TNZ need short term funding? If so they are in worse straights than I had thought

Sounds more like Dalts told him to put up or shut up.

Dalts still wants the AC in NZ.

Just playing them, it will end up in Auckland.

17 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Do TNZ need short term funding? If so they are in worse straights than I had thought

Did the “under-spend” get transferred to TNZ or swept away in the cutting black heat of the failed negotiations with Government.

“Cabinet has agreed to invest in the team from within existing budgets. It would be subject to a number of conditions, including an expectation the Cup will be defended in New Zealand,” Nash said.

“Although no request for support has yet been made, Team New Zealand has received government assistance following every America’s Cup since 2003. I anticipate a similar request will be made this year.

“$136.5 million was set aside in Budget 2018 for Cup-related infrastructure and activities and not all of that funding has been spent. Cabinet has agreed in principle to use that under-spend, should it be required, to keep the successful team together while it plans and regroups for AC37.

“The final details are still subject to negotiations, however it is likely to be a similar sum to that paid after AC35 in Bermuda in 2017, when $5 million went towards the team to help it prepare for AC36 this year,” Nash said.

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Weird. Why should GD have to give a F about the finite details of where all the MD money is coming from? Just take it for crissakes, what the hell else is out there? Get that new AC75 into the works, let them take care of the number of spectator bathrooms..

Incase his team is implicated with tax evasion, and/ or fraud.

13 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Not beyond the bounds of reality considering the design of the AC75.

No. It's not. They could decide to concentrate on sails, foils and systems.

Which makes me wonder how many foils GB have tank tested whilst this has been going on, before the restrictions are re-applied.

21 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Id rather have no money than mystery money from mystery backers with a mystery plan.

So you are happy for the team to have a crap, underfunded defense rather than talk to someone who has possible funds?

Bit of a difference from when you were happy for the team to whore the event out. A funded defence was better than one in Auckland with limited money, now is no funds are better than whoring it out to a mystery person.

Just now, Gissie said:

So you are happy for the team to have a crap, underfunded defense rather than talk to someone who has possible funds?

Bit of a difference from when you were happy for the team to whore the event out. A funded defence was better than one in Auckland with limited money, now is no funds are better than whoring it out to a mystery person.

No, I'm saying I'd rather they decline Dunphy's offer than open themselves up to tax evasion/ Fraud charges because they associate themselves with white collar crime.

2 minutes ago, Gissie said:

I guess you're completely okay with the team potentially being caught up in fraud charges just to win the AC? 

19 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No, I'm saying I'd rather they decline Dunphy's offer than open themselves up to tax evasion/ Fraud charges because they associate themselves with white collar crime.

Much better they take money from KSA. :lol:

Fuck I love this place.

14 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

From the village idiot.
“Id rather have no money than mystery money from mystery backers with a mystery plan.”

Pretty well sums up Lord Daltons triumvirate of anonymous but compelling contenders.

So if someone turned up on your doorstep with bags of cash and said "Don't ask questions" you'd just take it and say "That's fine with me"? Wait, you probably would.

Oil and gas exploration company Greymouth Petroleum went from being a prosperous company to a dysfunctional one in less than 10 years, with the man blamed for the breakdown between directors forced to sell his stake, according to arguments heard in court.

But the Court of Appeal has labelled former chief operating officer John Sturgess' application to liquidate the company an attempt to "extort the highest amount" for his shareholding.

The High Court ruled last year that Sturgess must sell his 14 per cent stake in Greymouth Petroleum, one of Taranaki's most active oil and gas exploration businesses.

Sturgess had sought an order for the full sale of the company.

Chief executive Mark Dunphy held 52 per cent while Auckland investor Peter Masfen owned the remaining 34 per cent.

These two stood Sturgess down in February 2011, and he was accused of breaching his director's duties and leading Greymouth towards a potential crisis.

The High Court found Sturgess should take "primary responsibility" for destroying the trust essential to his working relationship with Dunphy and Masfen, ordering he sell his shares at fair market value.

But in an appeal today Sturgess sought a liquidation order for Greymouth, allowing for 30 days beforehand so the parties could negotiate on the exit price.

Sturgess was also broadly appealing findings made against him for breaches of reporting obligations and negligence.

His lawyer, Felix Geiringer, said today Sturgess' actions had been the "symptoms" rather than the "cause" of Greymouth's dysfunction.

Court of Appeal judges Justice Tony Randerson and Justice Forrest Miller, however, said the issue was now about remedy and liquidation would be "difficult" with "not a lot going for it".

Justice Miller said the essential argument was over what price would be paid for Sturgess' shares, with liquidation being a "nuclear option".

"He doesn't want the company wound up at all, what he wants is 30 days to extort the highest amount.

"But he is the wrongdoer.

"The reality is you're asking us to give them a very large club to beat them with."

Justice Randerson concurred, and said it was pretty obvious everyone would suffer from liquidation.

Sturgess had primary responsibility for what had happened between the shareholders, with each side undoubtedly wanting to end the relationship between them, he said.

"At the end of the day everyone agrees this company is disruptive.

"The real issue is how we're going to exit this company."

Justice Randerson said he could not imagine Sturgess would seriously want to liquidate the company, because it would ruin the value of the shares.

Furthermore, Dunphy and Masfen had more to lose, with a joint 86 per cent stake in the company.

The issue was whether Dunphy and Masfen decided they wanted Sturgess' shares, and if not, if he would then be free to sell them on the open market.

The value of Sturgess' shareholding was to be determined by arbitration next month.

Geiringer, however, said there was evidence a liquidation might increase the value of the company's shareholdings.

The case is expected to last about three days.

And this is why no one should take this fool seriously.

Plus, he's not exactly "Big money"

Valued at around $220 million.

Ah I can see exactly why the dumfy offer is under such close consideration… 

so much consideration that the venue announcement has been delayed..Grant is either taking this fool seriously  (making a mockery of your pronouncement)  or he hasn’t got any other option. 

oh 220 mil? That’s more than ETNZ have got so don’t be too judgy;-) 

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Weird. Why should GD have to give a F about the finite details of where all the MD money is coming from? 

You think it doesn't matter what stinky source money may be coming from?  Which is then combined with Kiwi taxpayer money? If so, that is more than a little naïve.

In the least happy period of my working career, I had enough of venture capitalist thieves to learn to count my fingers after they shook my hand. Behaviour that included treating payment of minimum-wage office cleaners as optional. Possibly you have been blessed to go through life without encountering such people.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that the only offer is from Mr. Dunphy. I'm curious to see what "some longtime members of ETNZ" will say now to justify the fact that they are dealing with him after publicly calling him a fool, and calling his proposals "smoky financial maneuvers trying to evade taxes". Apparently they took some weeks to figure it out.

It's pretty clear that they were sure that the venue would be Cork, and dismissed Dunphy's offer from the start since GD couldn't act as Luis XIV with him. 

Again, I don't understand why GD keeps doing things that aren't parts of his job. He's one of the best in running an AC team, results speak for themselves, and that's what he should do: hire designers, hire the shore team, hire the sailors and make all this people work for the same goal. And of course make decisions, have the final word in all the key moments in 4 years of campaign. It's a lot of work. 

Running a sport event ? Not his job. Finding venues ? Not his job. Find sponsorships ? Maybe that's his job, but you can't search a sponsor if you don't even know where and when the event will be hold (pretty much the first two questions any brand would do). Knowing how to delegate is very difficult, but sometimes it is absolutely necessary

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Zaal said:

I'm pretty sure that the only offer is from Mr. Dunphy. I'm curious to see what "some longtime members of ETNZ" will say now to justify the fact that they are dealing with him after publicly calling him a fool, and calling his proposals "smoky financial maneuvers trying to evade taxes". Apparently they took some weeks to figure it out.

It's pretty clear that they were sure that the venue would be Cork, and dismissed Dunphy's offer from the start since GD couldn't act as Luis XIV with him. 

Again, I don't understand why GD keeps doing things that aren't parts of his job. He's one of the best in running an AC team, results speak for themselves, and that's what he should do: hire designers, hire the shore team, hire the sailors and make all this people work for the same goal. And of course make decisions, have the final word in all the key moments in 4 years of campaign. It's a lot of work. 

Running a sport event ? Not his job. Finding venues ? Not his job. Find sponsorships ? Maybe that's his job, but you can't search a sponsor if you don't even know where and when the event will be hold (pretty much the first two questions any brand would do). Knowing how to delegate is very difficult, but sometimes it is absolutely necessary

Apparently you haven't read the DoG.

13 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Again, I don't understand why GD keeps doing things that aren't parts of his job.

You are mistaken on the scope of his job. He is co-director and a shareholder of TNZ. Also, trained as an accountant. Financials are central to what he does. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

And this is why no one should take this fool seriously.

Plus, he's not exactly "Big money"

Valued at around $220 million.

Why does anything about that court case say you shouldn't take him seriously? That summary makes it clear that he was blameless, it was Sturgess at fault in the court's view.

As to not being "big money", as far as I can see NZ has 2 billionaires. So you are probably going to have to deal with paupers worth only $100millions. Who probably has contacts to all the others of similar wealth in NZ

38 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Why does anything about that court case say you shouldn't take him seriously? That summary makes it clear that he was blameless, it was Sturgess at fault in the court's view.

As to not being "big money", as far as I can see NZ has 2 billionaires. So you are probably going to have to deal with paupers worth only $100millions. Who probably has contacts to all the others of similar wealth in NZ

Well he is certainly coming up with more possible money than the forever hanging on billionaire de Nora.

Is there any definitive date it has been extended to? The official release on AC website doesn't seem to mention one. 

I hope he isn't proposing to wait until Covid rules allow home to visit the other countries, that would be ironic given the use of the NZ covid uncertainty as an excuse for looking at foreign bids in the first place

5 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Is there any definitive date it has been extended to? The official release on AC website doesn't seem to mention one. 

I hope he isn't proposing to wait until Covid rules allow home to visit the other countries, that would be ironic given the use of the NZ covid uncertainty as an excuse for looking at foreign bids in the first place

How so? No one is allowed in or out of Auckland unless for absolutely essential business. The AC isn’t absolutely essential. Pretty tough to close a multi million dollar deal over FB live.

7 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

He did say he only cared if they were caught. In which case they would be DSQ so wouldn't win. So I think he is happy with cheating per se.

You’d better ask Jimmy about that. After all, it was his team that was caught cheating.

14 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

You’d better ask Jimmy about that. After all, it was his team that was caught cheating.

Caught cheating in the ACWS, and they got punished for it. Had to win 11 races to defend the Cup, instead of nine.

And they did.

1 hour ago, yoyo said:

The press release excuse for the delay regarding face to face meetings is PR spin BS.  Businesses across the world utilized zoom/teams/whatever to close deals during the pandemic. 

Maybe, but none were as big as this...

3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

How so? No one is allowed in or out of Auckland unless for absolutely essential business. The AC isn’t absolutely essential. Pretty tough to close a multi million dollar deal over FB live.

So according to you and GD he wanted to go to offshore venues because he thought that in 3 years time there might be NZ travel restrictions. But he set a timescale for deciding without considering there might be restrictions in a few months time?

And they managed to visit Ireland but can't visit now?

And everyone else has done business deals as big and bigger than this remotely but they can't.

And they managed to get hundreds of MIQs for the AC, but can't get a couple to set up the deal?

I've heard better  and more credible excuses from my kids. When they were 4

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Did the SGP NZ team escape NZ before lockdowns? In any case, they are out livin in the free world. F2F with them and Dalts on Zoom wouldn't work? Or doesn't Dalts use crypto?

They have had folks from the 'Origin Sports Group' on the ground there too.. The delay has nothing to do with any of that, they simply have no signed-off offers on the table yet - despite starting the process at least 9 months ago. The excuse that they held off for 3 months while negotiating with NZ also makes little sense. OSG and Cork and anyone else were not frozen in time by any of that.

If there had been any real impetus behind the Cork attempt, well they would have solved it by now and I doubt that (and since they asked for 6 months more time) that even the extra 6-8 weeks given will change any of that.  

Just stumbled in this video, and I can't keep myself thinking about GD selling the 37 AC like him. 

"If you like fast boats, adrenaline, and a 500 million $ ROI, I can promise you, your city will be the place everyone wants to stop. You don't have to buy one big AC75 if you want to be part of a world famous regatta, just an AC40, and you can sit down next to sailors that you never experienced anywhere in the world. Yep, you heard me right, you can sit on the patio right next to real live AC75s, and have some of the best pre start duels, and that's a GD promise"  

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Did the SGP NZ team escape NZ before lockdowns? In any case, they are out livin in the free world. F2F with them and Dalts on Zoom wouldn't work? Or doesn't Dalts use crypto?

No NZ lockdowns stop you leaving NZ... They can come back too, with a 14 day MIQ stint which has no bearing on level of lockdown.

We're freer than you think...