Jump to content

The AC 37 has started, news and rumours


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

They just ran a story on One News. Dunphy himself said "He's ready to discuss it when the time is right" The time has well and truly passed. Dalts was on TV in regards to the approaches to NYYC and other Challenging clubs, saying he "has had calls from overseas from people who have had those discussions" 

Dunphy was asked when he was going to discuss the proposal and answer the teams questions and his answer was "When the time is right" and he's prepared to meet with the team about his proposal. 

Dalts answer was "I don't know what we're supposed to meet about, we don't know who his backers are, we've got no answers to our questions, and we've got no proposal so we can't do anything"

I think the process has actually been followed through and Dunphy has infact been told to Fuck off,. Dalts and the team have actually told him to present his proposal or piss off. He didn't present his proposal and was told to Fuck off, but went crying to the media and created the FB page saying the team won't listen to him. I think the team wants to move on from Dunphy but he keeps running to the media and accusing the team of being unpatriotic. 

The team wants to move on from Dunphy, but he won't let them. He's the one keeping the process open. Dunphy is using the media and social media to push his agenda, which is why the team is constantly needing to defend themselves and the process. Every time he gets told to Fuck off, he goes straight to the media with terms like "Patriotic" and "Home grown" but he has nothing to offer himself.

Yet Dalts can claim unnamed sources have told him about a foreign conspiracy and he doesn't need to give details.

As for going to the media, Dalts is using it more than Harry and Megan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Hamish Ross and the Discrimination Issue: This will be long, pedantic, and legal.  I apologize for the length; read at your own risk. Hamish Ross has recently claimed on multiple occasion

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

Posted Images

2 hours ago, random. said:

This place, and every other online community on the planet is thick with shills.  Every company with any cash at all employs companies to "manage their brand".

So someone being a bit suspicious is understandable, often their suspicions are correct.  But it matters not, denial is cheap and easy regardless of the facts.

So who are you a shill for I wonder?

Perhaps everyone on here is a shill, so we are just all cancelling each other out.

I have previously wondered whether forourselves is a NZ attempt at a solution to the Turing test - which is going very badly.

Kate Short for Bob is clearly a shill for Richard Curtis who logged into the wrong forum by mistake and hasn't realised yet

SailbyDate is paid by Bird's Eye foods to sublimally promote fish fingers 

etc

p.s. I'm not yet a shill but am open to offers if anyone is interested in paying my reassuringly expensive rates

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

I have previously wondered whether forourselves is a NZ attempt at a solution to the Turing test

My thinking is more that he's a demonstration that even a global village needs an idiot. Though in SAAC, we are blessed with more than one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At the risk of being accused, I see TNZ are now actively trying to discourage the NZ authorities from putting up more public money.

https://businessdesk.co.nz/article/americas-cup/dunphy-denies-daltons-dirty-tricks-dig

How else can you interpret them releasing a poll showing most people wouldn't want that more public money committed?

So TNZ really do want to go overseas. Which means they must have confidence in one bid and want to accept it. 

Plainly that isn't Cork or Spain because there wouldn't be the confidence. So clearly GD wants to go to the ME. And that is why he objects to Dunphy getting involved. He wants to go offshore. Anything else is a threat to his plans

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

So clearly GD wants to go to the ME. 

And presumably Ratcliffe is up for that too. In which case, I guess, we will find out if they think the hemisphere dates are MC'able, as nobody would sail in Jeddah in summer if avoidable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

And presumably Ratcliffe is up for that too. In which case, I guess, we will find out if they think the hemisphere dates are MC'able, as nobody would sail in Jeddah in summer if avoidable.

Maybe. Perhaps it was not agreed originally because GD said he was going to go out to bids and Ineos said that would be fine (and maybe now regret it)

Link to post
Share on other sites

If GD is indeed going for Jeddah or bust, lines up his deal and Ratcliffe says, meah, no, that would seem to be a problem. So I have to believe Ineos is in the loop. Otherwise, what if you threw a $100M party but nobody came? I'm not sure anyone else is hot to trot as CoR for a match off Jeddah.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My point being that Ineos may have given GD carte blanche without ever thinking he may do something like to go to ME.

Or I may be wrong and its somewhere else. 

I'll guess we'll find out more in due time. After all GD will keep to his timescale of deciding by Sept 17th won't he. Because we've been told he will always do that. Sure there is Covid but thats been around for 18 months now so no surprises

Link to post
Share on other sites

If GD has been travelling at relativistic speeds for the last few months, then it could still be before September 17th in his frame of reference. You may think that is a crackpot suggestion but in my opinion, it is no more so than some of the other theories in circulation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

.. GD thinks he has a profit-making opportunity offshore and prefers to pursue that profit-making 'business decision' over what is actually needed to simply run the damn thing in Auckland. ? 

'Follow the Money' is a reasonable start for motivation on many things.

They aren't giving these things away - could an NZ civil service salary pay for one of these?

03dm4306vq844m22y2r03fvhn0i215&option=N&

22 O'Neills Avenue, Takapuna Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand – Luxury Home For Sale (sothebysrealty.com)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, floater said:

They aren't giving these things away - could an NZ civil service salary pay for one of these?

03dm4306vq844m22y2r03fvhn0i215&option=N&

22 O'Neills Avenue, Takapuna Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand – Luxury Home For Sale (sothebysrealty.com)

 

"feels like being on a cruise ship"

count me out then

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

If GD is indeed going for Jeddah or bust, lines up his deal and Ratcliffe says, meah, no, that would seem to be a problem. So I have to believe Ineos is in the loop. Otherwise, what if you threw a $100M party but nobody came? I'm not sure anyone else is hot to trot as CoR for a match off Jeddah.

I think more team "owners" are ok with Jeddah.

Italians - most definitely - Arabs like to spend money and Prada is a luxury item

Alinghy - they will acquire the American Magic assets and show up.  Nobody is going to target the Swiss

Ineos - Fracking vs Real Oil

Team New Zealand - GD wants the $120M, who cares about anybody else.  I am sure Emirates Airlines and Omega watches would like it as well.

Out:

American Magic - GD and COR are aware that AM will not participate if it is in the ME.  Too many people in the region do not like the American flag and too much risk protecting the team.  All you need is one rogue Yemenis to make his way up the red sea and create havoc in order to get 40  virgins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, pusslicker said:

GD's brought this all on himself by being weak and failing to raise enough money.

But TNZ wrote a letter saying that GD is the best of the best at everything he does!!

 

18 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Which yacht clubs besides NYYC is Larry a member of? 

Didn't Larry buy the Golden Gate YC as a fuck off to the St Francis YC?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Mostly what we knew or surmised. Except for:

the saga of where Pete Burling and Blair Tuke are. Have they signed for Team New Zealand or not

What? Why would they not have signed and what has that got to do with any foreign interests given the nationality rules?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

At the risk of being accused, I see TNZ are now actively trying to discourage the NZ authorities from putting up more public money.

https://businessdesk.co.nz/article/americas-cup/dunphy-denies-daltons-dirty-tricks-dig

How else can you interpret them releasing a poll showing most people wouldn't want that more public money committed?

So TNZ really do want to go overseas. Which means they must have confidence in one bid and want to accept it. 

Plainly that isn't Cork or Spain because there wouldn't be the confidence. So clearly GD wants to go to the ME. And that is why he objects to Dunphy getting involved. He wants to go offshore. Anything else is a threat to his plans

My latest sense of things too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Liquid said:

But TNZ wrote a letter saying that GD is the best of the best at everything he does!!

 

Didn't Larry buy the Golden Gate YC as a fuck off to the St Francis YC?

Yeah effectively but the romance is over and I doubt San Francisco would ever host they were in the hole last time.

Wonder if he is a member of LBYC, RYS, or any likely one. Maybe he is Commodore of a stealth Kaumalapau YC, lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

So.... GD doesn't know who are the other donors with Dunphy.... but he knows that some of them are in contact with EB and LE. He's sure about this. He doesn't know names and surnames, but he know who they speak with. Incredible, I must say. And I don't get the logic of EB giving money to ETNZ, the Defender, in order to keep the Cup in AKL, then make a challenge and try to win the cup.... against ETNZ. Ehm.... why should he do it? Isn't it easier to just put money into his challenge, and try to win in AKL or wherever will be the AC ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

September 21, 2021:  Beautiful hot day in Jeddah - currently 95 degrees and party cloudy.  Feels like 108 degrees. Winds NW at 10mph.  7 day outlooks 97 degrees across the board with a feels like temperature of 110 degrees, no rain. 

 

 

 

 

Wind

This section discusses the wide-area hourly average wind vector (speed and direction) at 10 meters above the ground. The wind experienced at any given location is highly dependent on local topography and other factors, and instantaneous wind speed and direction vary more widely than hourly averages.

The average hourly wind speed in Jeddah experiences mild seasonal variation over the course of the year.

The windier part of the year lasts for 8.8 months, from December 25 to September 18, with average wind speeds of more than 9.2 miles per hour. The windiest day of the year is June 14, with an average hourly wind speed of 10.6 miles per hour.

The calmer time of year lasts for 3.2 months, from September 18 to December 25. The calmest day of the year is October 15, with an average hourly wind speed of 7.7 miles per hour.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

The windier part of the year lasts for 8.8 months, from December 25 to September 18, with average wind speeds of more than 9.2 miles per hour. The windiest day of the year is June 14, with an average hourly wind speed of 10.6 miles per hour.

So, SailGP conditions!!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Zaal said:

So.... GD doesn't know who are the other donors with Dunphy.... but he knows that some of them are in contact with EB and LE. He's sure about this. He doesn't know names and surnames, but he know who they speak with. Incredible, I must say. And I don't get the logic of EB giving money to ETNZ, the Defender, in order to keep the Cup in AKL, then make a challenge and try to win the cup.... against ETNZ. Ehm.... why should he do it? Isn't it easier to just put money into his challenge, and try to win in AKL or wherever will be the AC ? 

A fair question. Since he/she/it supposedly wanted an appeal to change to the COR, was it actually about changing the boats it was in as well? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zaal said:

The NYYC isn't enthusiast of the AC75s, that's for sure. They publicly said that should they won, they would change to some more "traditional" boats. 

The more traditional boats is all Taylor Canfield knows how to sail.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

At the risk of being accused, I see TNZ are now actively trying to discourage the NZ authorities from putting up more public money.

 

How many times do you have to be told? They're not putting up any more money. 

They've already said multiple times that their offer was final. Its now off the table (as Dalton confirmed) so thats it.

Unless Dunphy is prepared to name his backers, his proposal is dead.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

 

I have previously wondered whether forourselves is a NZ attempt at a solution to the Turing test - which is going very badly.

 

Really really badly. Come on you programmers you have to get some understanding of the context of words, not just get him to react to bi-words

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Really really badly. Come on you programmers you have to get some understanding of the context of words, not just get him to react to bi-words

Blah blah blah. Whatever. Sticks and stones dickhead! Say what you want, but I've been right the whole time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Blah blah blah. Whatever. Sticks and stones dickhead! Say what you want, but I've been right the whole time.

But the point is that I never said that the govt were going to give more funding. So your response would be akin to me replying to you

"How many times do you have to be told, a dolphin is a mammal, not a fish. See, I'm always right".

Your response says nothing about why TNZ would release that poll if it is so irrelevant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

But the point is that I never said that the govt were going to give more funding. So your response would be akin to me replying to you

"How many times do you have to be told, a dolphin is a mammal, not a fish. See, I'm always right".

Your response says nothing about why TNZ would release that poll if it is so irrelevant.

Because they know Polls are irrelevant. 

Take a poll of business people and Farmers to see who their preferred PM is, and it'll probably show Judith Collins.

Take a poll of Beneficiaries, solo parents, and South Auckland, and they'll say Jacinda Ardern.

Polls are a reflection of the sample taken. Not reality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Because they know Polls are irrelevant. 

Are you trying to prove you are a failed AI? That makes no sense at all.

GD "we just done a poll, which is of course irrelevant. So let's put it out in a press release to confuse the bastards"

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Zaal said:

The NYYC isn't enthusiast of the AC75s, that's for sure. They publicly said that should they won, they would change to some more "traditional" boats. 

Yeah but they aren't interested in legal challenges either.

They may would have gone to Court if there was a 1 - 1 Challenge between ETNZ and INEOS but now because that is off the table and RNZYS/RYS confirmed that it will be a Multi-Challenger Event I don't see them getting involved in the Dalton/Dunphy Saga & Shenanigans.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Are you trying to prove you are a failed AI? That makes no sense at all.

GD "we just done a poll, which is of course irrelevant. So let's put it out in a press release to confuse the bastards"

Was it GD that released that poll? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gissie said:

Yet Dalts can claim unnamed sources have told him about a foreign conspiracy and he doesn't need to give details.

As for going to the media, Dalts is using it more than Harry and Megan.

Dalts could teach Harry and his missus a thing or two about tactical and strategic management of the media.

Certainly Dunphy isn't a match for any of them.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Auckland AC37 appears to be DEAD

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/126443321/americas-cup-team-nz-says-home-defence-backer-mark-dunphy-called-rival-yacht-club

This is just my personal opinion BUT I think that NYYC Member is get it HAMISH ROSS! That would make sense in a lot of ways.

Ross stated on air in TE Chat Show before Dalton & RNZYS Commodore briefed the Squadron Members that he would talk to Members of the RNZYS about Court Challenges preventing the Cup going overseas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

While some of us are guessing that GD likely already has a lucrative deal in Jeddah (or why else is he actively fighting off Auckland?) it will be interesting to see if he (and/or Shoebie and Greene) do try to resurrect Cork and even vaporware Spain. Because if they do make that effort, well then what do we make of things at that point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

While some of us are guessing that GD likely already has a lucrative deal in Jeddah (or why else is he actively fighting off Auckland?) it will be interesting to see if he (and/or Shoebie and Greene) do try to resurrect Cork and/or Spain. Because if they do make that effort, well then what do we make of things at that point?

Business as usual. On with the Defence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kate short for Bob

I've a growing suspicion that Hamish Ross was the one who initiated all the nonsense about potential Court Legal Challenges to replace the Royal Yacht Squadron with the NYYC.

Probably he had a Conversation with NYYC Commodore John Culver but Culver said thanks but no, thanks!

From June 15th STUFF Article...

“We are aware of a RNZYS member, [America’s Cup lawyer] Mr Hamish Ross, who acts for the New York Yacht Club (NYYC) and recently delivered a wildcard challenge as well as their proposed protocol to the Commodore of the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (RNZYS) on behalf of the New York Yacht Club,” Team New Zealand said in a statement.

“Mr Ross appears to be leading the agenda of the NYYC who he represents by seeking to impose their agenda on the RNZYS and the 37th America’s Cup.”

This is coming from a Statement by TNZ!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

SailbyDate is paid by Bird's Eye foods to sublimally promote fish fingers 

Ha, ha. So how am I doing at your place? Sales are well up. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

In case that doesn't translate well internationally, its because of his picture and

https://www.birdseye.co.uk/our-brands/who-is-captain-birds-eye

 

Na-Nu Na-Nu. You do know that's Popeye, played by, Robin Williams, right? ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

At the risk of being accused, I see TNZ are now actively trying to discourage the NZ authorities from putting up more public money.

https://businessdesk.co.nz/article/americas-cup/dunphy-denies-daltons-dirty-tricks-dig

How else can you interpret them releasing a poll showing most people wouldn't want that more public money committed?

So TNZ really do want to go overseas. Which means they must have confidence in one bid and want to accept it. 

Plainly that isn't Cork or Spain because there wouldn't be the confidence. So clearly GD wants to go to the ME. And that is why he objects to Dunphy getting involved. He wants to go offshore. Anything else is a threat to his plans

So, why would he not choose his best option?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Yeah but they aren't interested in legal challenges either.

They may would have gone to Court if there was a 1 - 1 Challenge between ETNZ and INEOS but now because that is off the table and RNZYS/RYS confirmed that it will be a Multi-Challenger Event I don't see them getting involved in the Dalton/Dunphy Saga & Shenanigans.

I agree. I don't believe in the story of LE or EB backing Dunphy to keep the Cup in NZ. It's just as Max said recently, challengers don't care where it will be, they're eager to know where and when and just start their campaign. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zaal said:

I agree. I don't believe in the story of LE or EB backing Dunphy to keep the Cup in NZ. It's just as Max said recently, challengers don't care where it will be, they're eager to know where and when and just start their campaign. 

This is what I said numerous times here: The AC Protocol is far and waaay more important then the Venue. The Venue will happen in due course (probably by years end). Challengers have marked the Day November 17th 2021 (Announcement of the AC37 Protocol) since TNZ announced their CoR on March 19th.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zaal said:

So.... GD doesn't know who are the other donors with Dunphy.... but he knows that some of them are in contact with EB and LE. He's sure about this. He doesn't know names and surnames, but he know who they speak with. Incredible, I must say. And I don't get the logic of EB giving money to ETNZ, the Defender, in order to keep the Cup in AKL, then make a challenge and try to win the cup.... against ETNZ. Ehm.... why should he do it? Isn't it easier to just put money into his challenge, and try to win in AKL or wherever will be the AC ? 

Perhaps without the manoeuvring, mind games and manipulation, the electronic transfers ain't so much fun? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumper edition this morning guys.

Thanks for the entertainment. My french toast fish fingers have gone cold in my excitement over seeing even @Stingray~ starting to come around, to the realisation that GD might not be such a loser after all. ;-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zaal said:

The NYYC isn't enthusiast of the AC75s, that's for sure. They publicly said that should they won, they would change to some more "traditional" boats. 

Without foils you mean? Surely not.

Even IMOCA60s are getting with the programme:

https://www.imoca.org/en/news/news/bureau-vallee-tests-t-rudder-

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

This is what I said numerous times here: The AC Protocol is far and waaay more important then the Venue. The Venue will happen in due course (probably by years end). Challengers have marked the Day November 17th 2021 (Announcement of the AC37 Protocol) since TNZ announced their CoR on March 19th.

I agree to a point.  Yes the AC Protocol is very important for investment and boat design.  Where and at what time of year is important in designing your boat if you follow an optimisation approach.

If Jeddah is really the option for ETNZ then I'm thinking that they are confident that they have solved the light wind foiling issues.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So Dunphy confirms he phoned NYYC - https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/126443321/americas-cup-team-nz-says-home-defence-backer-mark-dunphy-called-rival-yacht-club

Why the need to contact the NYYC to do "due diligence"?

Dunphy, who heads oil company Greymouth Petroleum, said he had contacted NYYC, to ascertain whether they would take part in a Cup regatta staged in Auckland.

“[That] as part of his due diligence before launching the home defence campaign,” said the spokesman.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I agree to a point.  Yes the AC Protocol is very important for investment and boat design.  Where and at what time of year is important in designing your boat if you follow an optimisation approach.

If Jeddah is really the option for ETNZ then I'm thinking that they are confident that they have solved the light wind foiling issues.

I heard some talk a few months ago that they would use different mast sizes (similar to SailGP) to make the AC75 Version 2 Boats more suitable to light wind. I am sure there have already being talks with the CoR and other potential Challengers about that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So after Dunphy publicly said Daltons claims of discussions with Rival clubs was “false” he now says “oh yeah nah sorry I have been in discussions” does he think this is Dalts first Rodeo? And all those who said “Dalts makes enemies of everyone” well he obviously makes friends too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gissie said:

Yet Dalts can claim unnamed sources have told him about a foreign conspiracy and he doesn't need to give details.

As for going to the media, Dalts is using it more than Harry and Megan.

Harry did learn from the master before she died.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Now that the, Dunphy saga is crushed, can we have some theories about the supposed, Burling/Tuke signings?

You're welcome.

Have you seen anything posted?

B&T did not sign until late in AC36, am expecting the same this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

While some of us are guessing that GD likely already has a lucrative deal in Jeddah (or why else is he actively fighting off Auckland?) it will be interesting to see if he (and/or Shoebie and Greene) do try to resurrect Cork and even vaporware Spain. Because if they do make that effort, well then what do we make of things at that point?

Sep 14 ...

Carta1 (ecestaticos.com)

Sep 16 ....

1ec.jpg (ecestaticos.com)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gissie said:

Considering GD is selling out the country so easily, I find his claim of traitor rather hypocritical.

That’s a subjective opinion at best. As a kiwi, I’m not that unhappy if GD takes the AC circus somewhere else. I’d be fine if it was in New York.  The more people who see the cup, and get to observe that us kiwis are more than sheep farmer,  but rather a hi tech country the better. Helps generate brand awareness of NZ incorporated. We have a thriving software industry that can benefit from such a branding exercise. 

 

 

 

generate NZ brand awareness the better

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mako23 said:

That’s a subjective opinion at best. As a kiwi, I’m not that unhappy if GD takes the AC circus somewhere else. I’d be fine if it was in New York.  The more people who see the cup, and get to observe that us kiwis are more than sheep farmer,  but rather a hi tech country the better. Helps generate brand awareness of NZ incorporated. We have a thriving software industry that can benefit from such a branding exercise. 

 

Yes, raising sponsorship and maybe getting more international visitors is easier in other places (especially the Mediterranean) but:

The best advertisement for NZ is surely hosting and Defending the Cup in Auckland.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zaal said:

The NYYC isn't enthusiast of the AC75s, that's for sure. They publicly said that should they won, they would change to some more "traditional" boats. 

 

9 hours ago, Chobani Sailor said:

The more traditional boats is all Taylor Canfield knows how to sail.

If they can't sail with the foils they can't win the cup so they are a non issue.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

EMIRATES TEAM NEW ZEALAND AND RNZYS REVEAL DAMNING DETAILS BEHIND THE ‘TEAM DUNPHY’ BID

Yesterday Mr Dunphy clearly stated in a press release that direct claims by Emirates Team New Zealand about his off shore dealings were ‘false’.

However despite both private and public requests for direct answers, there has been nothing more than general sweeping press statements and an avoidance to directly answer our specific questions:

-Did you have a call with a member of the NYYC who is directly involved with the America’s Cup where you asked for their support to file an action in the New York Supreme Court to challenging the validity of Royal Yacht Squadron as Challenger of Record? 

-Did you advise the NYYC member that you have the financial support of Ernesto Bertarelli and have also been communicating with Larry Ellison? 

-Have you had any meetings with any persons who represent or could be deemed to represent a rival team intending to enter AC37?

-  Was Hamish Ross representing you when he lobbied the NYYC via email to instigate an action in the New York Supreme Court ?

 

If it is was intended that yesterday’s statement is a denial then Mr Dunphy should look at his zoom call register and refresh his memory as the call was initiated by him. Emirates Team New Zealand were briefed in full on all discussion points immediately after the call in early September and have a record of it. 

Furthermore, Emirates Team New Zealand now release details of an email (dated 26/8/21) to the Commodore of the NYYC from Dr. Hamish Ross with Mr Dunphy (both members of the RNZYS) in direct copy. Dr Ross was formally a legal counsel with Alinghi during their 2003, 2007 and 2010 campaigns. The email clearly outlines their intentional lobbying of the NYYC to take legal action in the New York Supreme Court against the Challenger of Record with a purpose of intentionally disrupting the venue selection process.

In the email, Dr.Ross outlines his representation: I am assisting a group of prominent New Zealanders seeking to keep the next America's Cup event in Auckland..”

It continues: Through me, the group in NZL are asking the NYYC Club, in fulfilment of its supervisory role, to challenge RYSL over its bona fides as a qualified challenger. This may require an interpretation of the Deed to provide clarity for all concerned. The first step would be sending the challenger RYSL a letter and, if there is an unsatisfactory response, seeking an interpretation from the NY Supreme Court. Seeking an interpretation would disrupt the venue selection which is due to be announced on 17 September 2021. Given time is of the essence, I have taken the liberty of preparing a suggested form of letter as a starting point for consideration. 

Assuming RYSL cannot qualify as a challenger, the NYYC's challenge of 7 May 2021 as the next qualified challenge filed after RYSL's challenge, would cause NYYC to become the next COR, with the new Protocol to be agreed between RNZYS and the NYYC.”

That challenge was in fact delivered personally to the RNZYS Commodore on behalf of NYYC by Dr Hamish Ross.

The actions of Mr Dunphy and Dr Hamish Ross clearly do not represent the best and honest intentions towards the RNZYS and Emirates Team New Zealand as they portray in their press releases and in public.

Emirates Team New Zealand CEO Grant Dalton said, “ Emirates Team New Zealand is disappointed by Mark Dunphy’s underhanded and deceitful attempts to undermine the RNZYS, ETNZ and the RYS with his despicable actions.  We gave him every opportunity to tell us himself, but he chose not to and as far as we are concerned this puts an end to a regrettable chapter in AC37. We applaud Commodore Culver and the NYYC for wanting no part and rejecting Mr Ross and Mr Dunphy’s overtures.”

“The RNZYS is our representative club, we support them and I have no doubt the club will find this incredibly disappointing and will have their own process to deal with this situation.”

Emirates Team New Zealand and RNZYS have decided to cease all correspondence and any dealings with Mr Dunphy based on clear evidence of his and his associate Dr. Hamish Ross’s conflicted actions that they have refused to come clean on.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites